English music kills the emotion!

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Khanage

English music kills the emotion!

Post by Khanage » Wed Jan 02, 2013 9:51 pm

So I still haven't finished watching Dragonball GT (no spoilers please) but I was appalled when Piccolo died for the simple reason that the music in the background sucked the emotion right away from the scene. It wasn't fitting at all! So far, the English music seems to make EVERYTHING just sound sinister, and it's like they only know one riff! I loved watching Dragon Ball and DBZ with the Japanese music and the english dub, and when Goku said he didn't want to come back from the dead, I bawled like a baby. But I was really disappointed at the Piccolo scene, I didn't feel sad at all. What do you guys think? Maybe it was just an unemotional scene with the way it was scripted, but I reckon it has to be the music.
You had the fiery will of a Saiyan, please share that with me now

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: English music kills the emotion!

Post by cRookie_Monster » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:42 pm

FYI there are a lot of different "English" composers. I think you are talking about the Menza score in particular.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:19 am

cRookie_Monster wrote:FYI there are a lot of different "English" composers. I think you are talking about the Menza score in particular.
That's the Nathan Johnson score in the UUE eps. And yeah, his score isn't really bad as much as it excruciatingly boring and emotionless.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Thu Jan 03, 2013 1:49 am

jjgp1112 wrote:
cRookie_Monster wrote:FYI there are a lot of different "English" composers. I think you are talking about the Menza score in particular.
That's the Nathan Johnson score in the UUE eps. And yeah, his score isn't really bad as much as it excruciatingly boring and emotionless.
He's speaking of Piccolo's death in GT with the score by Menza, not the UUE with N.Johnson score.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Khanage

Post by Khanage » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:33 pm

I didn't know there were different composers but I did notice it was a different style to the DBZ english music. Well thanks Menza for a dead out soundtrack, he didn't even try to make it sound the slightest bit sad, it was just the same as every other scene. I can't wait to buy the 'Complete Series', apparently that has the English Dub with Japanese Score?

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Thu Jan 03, 2013 8:34 pm

I wouldn't say it kills the emotion, more like it gets the emotion wrong. Sometimes there is a complete lack of understanding over what a scene is about.

For example, Goku becoming a Super Saiyan for the first time isn't just some scene where he's being really badass, it's a horrifying transformation, the awakening of a terrifying power within our hero. Compare the Kikuchi track used compared to the Faulconer track. With the Kikuchi score, it's sheer terror. Something is happening that is to be feared. That same scene with the Faulconer score says, "Look at this awesome power up of Goku! He's going to kick ass!" Misses the point. The viewer should be crapping their pants that he might leap out of the screen and punch their brain in, not think that "Goku is totally METAL, man!"

Becoming a Super Saiyan in that scene isn't a triumph, isn't a celebration. It's the awakening of a terrible rage. It should be treated like Armageddon. The Kikuchi track plays it up, it rolls with it, it builds an atmosphere. The Faulconer music? It tries too hard to celebrate how cool the scene is by completely forgetting WHY it's cool.

In GT, the Menza score doesn't even seem to be about the same thing the show is about. It is entirely removed from the theme and atmosphere of GT's initial premise. It's like Menza is scoring for a completely different show, for a different franchise altogether. I don't Funimation could find a type of music that was more contrary to the show if they tried.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:06 pm

Menza's soundtrack for GT is the most....horribifuckus, it's the most horribifuckus thing I've ever heard. I'd rather listen to the squeals of Tiffany Volmer's Bulma running on four amplifers than 10 seconds of that theme "song".
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Dorexx
Regular

Post by Dorexx » Fri Jan 04, 2013 1:20 pm

Funimation DBGT's music is a disaster. Stay away from it, and try to forget you even came across it. And it's such a shame, because some of Menza's work in the GT Special and DBZ movies is beautiful.
酷签名

Khanage

Post by Khanage » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:51 pm

penguintruth wrote:I wouldn't say it kills the emotion, more like it gets the emotion wrong. Sometimes there is a complete lack of understanding over what a scene is about.

For example, Goku becoming a Super Saiyan for the first time isn't just some scene where he's being really badass, it's a horrifying transformation, the awakening of a terrifying power within our hero. Compare the Kikuchi track used compared to the Faulconer track. With the Kikuchi score, it's sheer terror. Something is happening that is to be feared. That same scene with the Faulconer score says, "Look at this awesome power up of Goku! He's going to kick ass!" Misses the point. The viewer should be crapping their pants that he might leap out of the screen and punch their brain in, not think that "Goku is totally METAL, man!"

Becoming a Super Saiyan in that scene isn't a triumph, isn't a celebration. It's the awakening of a terrible rage. It should be treated like Armageddon. The Kikuchi track plays it up, it rolls with it, it builds an atmosphere. The Faulconer music? It tries too hard to celebrate how cool the scene is by completely forgetting WHY it's cool.

In GT, the Menza score doesn't even seem to be about the same thing the show is about. It is entirely removed from the theme and atmosphere of GT's initial premise. It's like Menza is scoring for a completely different show, for a different franchise altogether. I don't Funimation could find a type of music that was more contrary to the show if they tried.
Completely agree, Menza is definitely detatched, earlier I noticed a tiumphant scene of someone being defeated with what sounded like the devil's chord in the background! I think the thing with the Funimation music is that it's appealing as a cartoon as opposed to a serious manga. Potentially a controversial opinion, but I feel DB is being aimed at kids with Goku being the equivalent of a 'super hero'. Even super heroes are portrayed poorly when being aimed at kids, if you think about it, your average Marvel comic is a lot more serious than what my 4 year old cousin thinks of it.

Eclipse
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Eclipse » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:45 pm

Having spent plenty of time with the both the English and Japanese soundtracks for Z, I can see an argument forming about Falconer and his skills. Falconer isn't the greatest of composers, but he had some variety. Menza, on the other hand, sounds like he's got just one or two pieces of music he's endlessly rewriting.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:58 pm

Faulconer Productions had four composers, and their music was great, but sadly misplaced on the episodes.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Khanage

Post by Khanage » Thu Jan 10, 2013 4:39 am

Well I just finished GT and can conclude, despite how emotional the ending was, I still haven't got a clue what version of Saw Men a thought he was composing for.

shreddinghead
Not-So-Newbie

Post by shreddinghead » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:46 pm

I understand fans who prefer the original track over funimation. The original track is more varied and has a sentimental touch over it, which is lacking in the american versions. However, i find funimation's version more vibrant and exciting. Anyhow, i actually do like funimation's gt, i know it's silly and somewhat lacking depth, but i find the childish element to it appealing.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:15 am

I cannot stand the English replacement soundtrack for GT. It's so...utterly boring and makes me fall asleep. Just compare both versions when SSJ4 Gogeta is born and you'll see how infinitely more victorious and grand the scene is with Tokunaga's score. Overall Tokunaga's score is my most favorite music in Dragon Ball. It fits GT so perfectly.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:45 am

InfernalVegito wrote:I cannot stand the English replacement soundtrack for GT. It's so...utterly boring and makes me fall asleep. Just compare both versions when SSJ4 Gogeta is born and you'll see how infinitely more victorious and grand the scene is with Tokunaga's score. Overall Tokunaga's score is my most favorite music in Dragon Ball. It fits GT so perfectly.
I can't stand Tokunaga's score for GT. The whole thing sounds like generic stock music through and through and combining it with some pretty shoddy placement in it's scenes doesn't help either.

The scene you mention with Gogeta is an example of what I'm talking of. Generic victorious sounding/superhero music, something I'd expect to hear in an old Superman cartoon.

In truth, Kikuchi should have stayed for GT, it would have been a much better experience at least for me.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:48 am

Yeah Kikuchi for GT might have been interesting. He's my second favorite DB composer and you know what? I wouldn't want any of the scores for all three series changed. They are perfect the way the are for me, especially GT. Bascially entirely opposite of what you perceive :D
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 1:12 pm

Why didn't FUNimation just stick to the Kikuchi score from the very beginning? Why do they feel the need to change things? :problem:
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

AgitoZ
Temporarily Banned

Post by AgitoZ » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:17 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:Why didn't FUNimation just stick to the Kikuchi score from the very beginning? Why do they feel the need to change things? :problem:

"The answer is simple: Money, dear boy."
If you're not here soon... GET ON!

dbzkfan543

Post by dbzkfan543 » Sat Jan 12, 2013 4:48 pm

InfernalVegito wrote:Yeah Kikuchi for GT might have been interesting. He's my second favorite DB composer and you know what? I wouldn't want any of the scores for all three series changed. They are perfect the way the are for me, especially GT. Bascially entirely opposite of what you perceive :D
I remember somebody on YouTube putting Kikuchi tracks in GT. I forgot who, though...

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Jan 12, 2013 5:52 pm

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:Why didn't FUNimation just stick to the Kikuchi score from the very beginning? Why do they feel the need to change things? :problem:
Because they're arrogant.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?