Terrible DB/Z/GT Bootleg

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Terrible DB/Z/GT Bootleg

Post by Sin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:26 pm

Was just searching through eBay and came across weird looking bootleg which contains the entirety of Dragon Ball, Z & GT (all on 17 disks mind you). I checked it out because I hadn't seen this version and I got to say the box art (as it strangely seems to for these Malaysian boot legs) looks pretty nice.

Some bad font choices but a nice design on the front and back.

What I really have to share these for though is the terrible descriptions included:

Dragon Ball Chapter 1-153 End Japanese Version (English Sub)
Bulma is a girl in search of the mystical Dragon Balls, the grant, if they are brought together to be desired. In her search she met the owner of one of these balls, a strange boy named Goku. The two then assembled, become Bulma in search of the dragonballs and Goku on the lookout for more.

Dragon Ball Z Chapter 1-291 End Japanese Version (English Sub)
Goku is back with his new son, Gohan, but just when things are down, the adventures continue. Whether he is facing enemies such as Freeza, Cell, Buu or Goku is to reach the elite of his own and discovers his race, Saiyan and Super Saiyan 3 form can. He meets many new people, gaining allies and well as enemies, as he still finds time to raise a family and the happy-go-lucky Saiyan he is.

Dragon Ball GT Chapter 1-64 End Japanese & English Version (English Sub)
Goku, the hero who learns the evil of Freeza, Cell, and Buu in DBZ destroyed, that an old foe, Emperor Pilaf from DB has the 7 magical Black Star Dragon Balls, trapped on the planet at the expense of the balls, may each want. Pilaf wishes that Goku is a child, and Goku becomes a child. In order to save both the planet and restore Goku to adulthood, Goku must align with Trunks and his granddaughter Pan to find all 7 Balls all over the world. Over time, they encounter foes like Baby, Super 17, and the invincible Shadow Dragons.
Instead of 10 years after the last Dragon Ball Z story, Pilaf finally manages to get all 7 Dragon Balls and make a wish. Unfortunately for Pilaf, he gets nervous by the presence of Goku and wishes for Goku to be a child again so that Pilaf could "teach him a lesson." Pilaf gets his wish, and Goku is from an interstellar travel on the 7 "Black Star Dragonballs" that reverse the wish and return him to gather into adulthood.

It's so bad it's almost funny. I wonder if people actually buy these bootlegs, I'm almost curious as to their content.

Gokuden
Regular

Re: Terrible DB/Z/GT Bootleg

Post by Gokuden » Wed Jan 09, 2013 5:56 pm

Wait wut, but at least they come with a cheesy artbook, title-cards, episode previews, and accurate colors! Am I right? :lol:
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:01 pm

I almost want to buy one of those solely for the box it comes in.

Almost.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:07 pm

Gokuden wrote:Wait wut, but at least they come with a cheesy artbook, title-cards, episode previews, and accurate colors! Am I right? :lol:
Yes, I hear the source of the animation is actually the original masters as well.
Gonstead wrote:I almost want to buy one of those solely for the box it comes in.

Almost.
I agree, would love for someone to manage to get their hands on it just to open it up and show us the inside too. Bootleg designs are slowly become preferable to the actual releases, I'm not so keen on the fonts used though.

dexterp

Post by dexterp » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:27 pm

I have these. Some great translation errors e.g. Dende is Tintin. I can upload footage if someone wants. The source used is the dragonboxes, and even with all the compression (Z is on 9 discs) it still looks better than the OBs.

I'm starting a small project up in regards to these. I'm after someone experienced in encoding & subbing. And someone who's good with webdesign. Please PM me.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:42 pm

dexterp wrote:I have these. Some great translation errors e.g. Dende is Tintin. I can upload footage if someone wants. The source used is the dragonboxes, and even with all the compression (Z is on 9 discs) it still looks better than the OBs.

I'm starting a small project up in regards to these. I'm after someone experienced in encoding & subbing. And someone who's good with webdesign. Please PM me.
Yeah would love to see some footage, and if you could take any photos of the inside of the box or the disks that'd be great. Did it come with any kind of booklet or pamphlet?

Also, haha at Tintin.

dexterp

Post by dexterp » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:50 pm

The box covered 2 fat back DVD cases. Both with their own cover art. Box 1 was DB & DBGT, box 2 was DBZ. The inside of the cases have plastic CD sleeves holding the discs. I'll up pics & footage tomorrow. I didn't keep the cardboard box. It was a lot more tacky in real life.

Edit

Now that I think about it. Some translations were quite funny and really off. Vegeta calls Kakarot goku a lot, and Uub was called "Poo".

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:02 pm

dexterp wrote:and Uub was called "Poo".
PFFFFFT!! XD
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:12 pm

508 Episodes Total / 17 Discs = 29-30 episodes a disc! :crazy: :crazy: :crazy:

I wonder how the quality is..

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:14 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:15 am, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:17 pm

I take that this boxset is from Hong Kong? My Devilman DVD set is from Hong Kong and it has images of the Devilman OVA's on the back cover instead of the TV series.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:22 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Looks like whoever slapped this together used the crappy DBGT logo. :lol:
That logo's looks kinda cool. It works. It looks more modern. Calling it 'crappy' is not really needed.
Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru's #1 biggest fan

A piece of animation is a beauty of art.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:25 pm

DragonBalllKaiHD wrote:
AnimeMaakuo wrote:Looks like whoever slapped this together used the crappy DBGT logo. :lol:
That logo's looks kinda cool. It works. It looks more modern. Calling it 'crappy' is not really needed.
And I happen to like that logo as well.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:02 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:14 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Pardon me for not liking something that subverts the original intent. :roll: You can like the replacement logo all you want, but it wasn't the logo intended for the show when Toei made it, and therefore, isn't the logo of the show.
Considering that the updated logo doesn't look much different than the original, I don't think it's subverting anything.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:15 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Pardon me for not liking something that subverts the original intent. :roll: You can like the replacement logo all you want, but it wasn't the logo intended for the show when Toei made it, and therefore, isn't the logo of the show. Just because Toei made the mistake of giving creative liberties to FUNimation doesn't make it right that they took them.
I agree completely. I can't stand how much FUNimation changed things. They should have left the logo the way it was; it wasn't hurting anything.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:28 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Pardon me for not liking something that subverts the original intent. :roll: You can like the replacement logo all you want, but it wasn't the logo intended for the show when Toei made it, and therefore, isn't the logo of the show.
What about the Dragon Ball logo that was changed by Funimation from the original logo? Nobody complains about that; most like it.

to
Last edited by DragonBalllKaiHD on Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:37 pm

Come on guys this debate isn't going to lead anywhere good, stop being influenced by the evil emitting from the box set.

Though I've never seen the Dragon Ball logo they use on the box, looks like a blander version of Funi's logo. Weird for a Malaysian release which only includes the dub of GT. I wonder which dub of GT it is as well.

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Wed Jan 09, 2013 10:41 pm

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:15 am, edited 3 times in total.
My YouTube

DragonBalllKaiHD
I Live Here

Post by DragonBalllKaiHD » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:17 pm

AnimeMaakuo wrote:Sorry, but if you don't respect the product as it was intended, I find it difficult to consider you a fan of said product. If they didn't think they could sell the show with the original logo, they shouldn't have licensed it to begin with. It's not only a disgrace to me, but the author who designed it.
Now you are telling me I'm not a fan of the original...? Don't be so presumptous. For the record, I've never said anything about not being a fan of original. I'm just merely stating that the newer logo was neat. :x