Listing for "Ocean Dub"-specific DBZ: "Rock the Dragon" Set

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Re: Listing for "Ocean Dub"-specific DBZ in July

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:13 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Considering this is really aimed at a specific market, I wonder if it'll be a limited release?
This really should have been a limited release. Maybe just sell it off of their site or have it be a Rightstuf exclusive. But eh, I guess we'll be seeing this in stores. It's gonna be a little weird when I see this on the rack knowing what it is.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 1:23 pm

eledoremassis02 wrote:Considering this is really aimed at a specific market, I wonder if it'll be a limited release?
If so, better get them early, or pre-order once it's up so even if it goes OoP the prices won't be absurdly high.

Such as has happened to the FUNimation Dragon Box Z Vol. 2 (specifically) and Kai Parts 1-4.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:35 pm

If this is real then I wonder what the chances are of an official UK release. If it does happen it'll probably be a long way down the line after Manga UK release DB, GT, Kai and the movies.

oXdanXo
Regular

Post by oXdanXo » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:46 pm

I paid way more for the Cooler Steelbook than the Dragon Box 2 (I pre ordered DB2 but still I paid way more than the going rate for a DB2).

As far as a UK release goes it's going to tick me off if we don't get it, since in my opinion we should be getting it before the USA since the UK and Canada had Ocean for the whole of DBZ.
Next to get; Leged of Saiyan figures and Freeza's force

If anyone sees
Any of the Legend of Saiyan line going cheapish
Or any other Banpresto DBZ figure :)

If anyone has a cooler steelbook dvd that wants to sell it (prefer new but used is fine) when/if the dragon box movies comes out contact me :)

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:33 pm

I feel like this is unrelated to Kai and the Ocean dub currently being produced.

This sounds like it would just be a re-release of FUNi's old dub of episodes 1~53. I hope they get the rights to episodes 108~276, but what would they do for the in between? The "original broadcast" would be FUNi's in-house dub for that gap.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:50 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:I hope they get the rights to episodes 108~276, but what would they do for the in between? The "original broadcast" would be FUNi's in-house dub for that gap.
I highly doubt they'll release the Westwood/Ocean dub because as you know, it's never broadcast in the United States. I would definitely buy it if they really did, though.

Craddle
Regular

Post by Craddle » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:58 pm

Solidus wrote:There is a UPC code on this page: http://www.aaaanime.com/item/DVDs/FN01204.html

I looked up the UPC code and I found something interesting. It might be more real than we think, although there is no description for the code.

UPC code: 704400012044
Type the code in to the following link: http://gepir.gs1.org/v32/xx/gtin.aspx?Lang=en-US

Edit: Screencap

Those results gave you a Nutrition Supplement company. Vita Key L.C. But the UPC shown next to it ends in a 3. Which means there were no results found.

I did a similar search on another website and got no results for that UPC. However, after looking at the UPC's neighbors, it appears to be a FUNi UPC.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:06 pm

kei17 wrote:I highly doubt they'll release the Westwood/Ocean dub because as you know, it's never broadcast in the United States. I would definitely buy it if they really did, though.
I know... It's not likely. But still... I think it's POSSIBLE, but would FUNi really bother? Now, the first 53 episodes they own, so that's not too illogical; Just surprising is all.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:30 pm

The "redub" throwaway line makes me wonder if that refers to an Ocean dub of season 3 being produced. That could certainly fill in the gaps enough for them to release the whole thing.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Feb 16, 2013 4:34 pm

90sDBZ wrote:If this is real then I wonder what the chances are of an official UK release. If it does happen it'll probably be a long way down the line after Manga UK release DB, GT, Kai and the movies.
Not sure Manga Entertainment would bother releasing it since they already have the orange bricks, and truth to be told, FUNimation is the one that has multiple releases of DBZ.

Madman released: DBZ Orange Bricks, DBZ Levels and DB Kai Parts.

Although, if they did I perhaps would buy but months after because their initial prices are unreasonable compared to the US ones, normally.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:13 pm

The more I look at that cover art the more I think it looks fake. For one thing it has Raditz in the background above the rest of them as if he's supposed to be the main villain. It would make more sense to switch him and Vegeta around. Also is it just me or does the Funimation logo look a bit off? It just says Funimation without the regular blue background behind the word. And don't their releases usually get labelled as Funimation entertainment?

I don't know why but for some reason it strikes me as a VHS cover from a non-english speaking country rather than an official English-speaking release. Maybe it is but just had some editing done to it.

If it is real I can't see them bothering with the Westwood dub.

BluezaBladeNZ
Regular

Post by BluezaBladeNZ » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:08 pm

90sDBZ wrote:Also is it just me or does the Funimation logo look a bit off? It just says Funimation without the regular blue background behind the word. And don't their releases usually get labelled as Funimation entertainment?
They changed their logo a while back to simply the word 'FUNimation' around when Navarre sold them.

EDIT: (Off-topic) Heh, just noticed it was my 500th post.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 8:38 pm

Wait, so this is legit?

OutlawTorn
Regular

Post by OutlawTorn » Sat Feb 16, 2013 9:13 pm

90sDBZ wrote:The more I look at that cover art the more I think it looks fake.
Hmmm... I wouldn't use the cover art alone as a basis of legitimacy as there are legitimate releases (such as the Digimon DVDs) which have alterations (whether minor or major) done to the cover before release. Personally, as much as I may enjoy the Ocean dub actors, I don't see the point of releasing an incomplete product. I'm waiting to see if if shows up on sites like Amazon or if there is an actual announcement by FUNimation on the matter.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:27 pm

The art itself doesn't bug me. It's the fact that it's not just a single character over a basic patterned background (which is what FUNi normally does for DBZ) that makes me doubt this release. It's just way too in-theme with what actually happens during the arc to look legit. :P

I hope it is legit, though, because it's a nice cover.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:29 pm

I just checked Walmart and Amazon and they have nothing listed. I know it's probably too early to check but I figured it can't hurt to try. :)
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Feb 16, 2013 10:37 pm

Seems more hoax-y every time I think about it.

It might as well say on the cover, "Now As Poorly Acted and Inaccurate As Before 1999!"
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:40 pm

IMO the boxart looks really cheap and tacky, then again that would make it perfect for the Ocean/Saban dub :P.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:49 pm

ringworm128 wrote:IMO the boxart looks really cheap and tacky, then again that would make it perfect for the Ocean/Saban dub :P.
I actually like the Ocean dub. the first 53 episodes and the first 3 movies are better than Funimation's release. at-least that's how I feel. :?
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:01 am

*discovers thread for first time*

WTF?!

*head explodes*

Well, FUNi did say to look for some Dragon Ball-related announcements this year, didn't they? Didn't they specifically mention March?