DB/Z/GT/Kai things you still haven't seen

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bagginses
Banned

Re: DB/Z/GT/Kai things you still haven't seen

Post by Bagginses » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:08 pm

I never, ever did watch the Dragon Ball anime after about episode 40 or something, and never did read the equivalent chapters of the manga either (I might as well say that I've never read even one page of the entire original Dragon Ball manga). I don't even know what happens in this portion of the series. :lol: I mean, I know in general lines, but in detail...nay.

Beji
Regular

Post by Beji » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:57 pm

I haven't seen a few Dragon Ball movies, and I also haven't seen Battle of Gods yet....

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:23 am

I know it's a big one to miss, but in all my years of DB fandom I've never seen the Piccolo Daimaō arc. I have seen everything up until right before that arc and I've seen the 23rd Tenka’ichi Budōkai (which was AWESOME btw) all the way to the end of DB into DBZ. But nope, never saw Piccolo Daimaō. I've been meaning to finish it up for years but I've never got around to it. I always wanted to re-watch the whole series and include that in it. I also haven't seen the first three DB movies.

I have definitely seen everything DBZ/GT related, I'm pretty sure there is nothing I've missed. However I've also never seen all of Dragon Ball Kai. I watched the first few episodes of the saiyan arc when it started and then later I randomly caught some Freezer stuff on Nick Toons (and was surprised by how much better the dub was at that point, especially the voice of freeza). But I haven't sat down to watch the series. I've watched one or two episodes of the Cell arc online, out of curiosity. I'd like to buy the blu-rays and watch all this in the new dub.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:15 am

About 1/3 of GT, 55% of Dragon Ball, 30% of DBZ, volumes 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16 of the Manga and episodes 64-91 of Dragon Ball Kai w/ Yamamoto score. I don't think I've watched all of the DBZ Movie 7 and Year-End TV specials, Atsumare! Goku World and Goku's Fire Fighting Regiment and Traffic Safety specials either.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:16 am

gialloman wrote:then again theres Dr.SLump :lol: Should I just buy the manga of Dr. Slump or watch the anime?
Read the manga since the anime was never fully subbed from what I can remember.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:35 am

Most of GT, but I want to wait until I'm drunk to watch the rest.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Mar 05, 2013 7:49 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:
gialloman wrote:then again theres Dr.SLump :lol: Should I just buy the manga of Dr. Slump or watch the anime?
I'd also suggest the manga. Not only the anime is not available in English (it's available in Spanish I think), but the anime is a mesh. The episodes are not in the same order as the manga, lots of filler episodes are pure shit, and it also gives a bigger childish feeling than the manga.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:46 pm

- I haven't watched any of the initial Dragon Ball movies
- I've never watched the entirety of DBZ Movies 1, 2, 3, 5, 9, and 11
- I haven't read most of the manga (but I really want to)
- I've never watched any of the OVAs
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:56 pm

I've actually yet to see the Dragon Ball movies Shenron no Densetsu or Sleeping Princess in Devil's Castle. I honestly can't remember if I've even seen The Path to Ultimate Power. I feel I have, but, I remember seeing short clips from it that I distinctly don't remember, so perhaps that will go on my to-do list. I'm pretty sure there's chunks of GT I haven't seen, because at the time all I had access to was the pre-"Lost Episodes" era of FUNimation's dubbing of the series. :( I also haven't seen the original Plan to Eradicate the Super Saiyans, but I guess that technically doesn't count. Other than that I can confidently say I've seen pretty much everything.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

gialloman

Post by gialloman » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:20 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
I'd also suggest the manga. Not only the anime is not available in English (it's available in Spanish I think), but the anime is a mesh. The episodes are not in the same order as the manga, lots of filler episodes are pure shit, and it also gives a bigger childish feeling than the manga.
ok thanks guys I'll have to look for collections of Dr. Slump :D

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:15 pm

I think the DB related things I never seen is Dragon Ball Z: Movie Overview Special and Looking Back at it All: The Dragon Ball Z Year-End Show!. Both never fully subbed, but I don't think I'm missing out of much on them since I remember hearing that they had a very little plot to begin with.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Diotor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diotor » Tue Mar 05, 2013 6:09 pm

I haven't seen any of Kai. Pretty much anything series/movie-wise released post GT I haven't bothered with at all. I just sit moping over my manga collection. D:

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Tue Mar 05, 2013 8:00 pm

I actually haven't seen a lot of the anime-related material because I'm really not a big fan of the original animes, they're just too loaded with filler and they drag on so much that it makes it almost unbearable to watch for me. I mean, as a kid I ate it up, but even then I realized that the fight with Freeza was taking way too much time and that the long, drawn-out stare-downs and power-ups were comically bad. So as I grew older I abandoned the anime in favor of the manga. I only ever went back to the anime when I was missing a volume of manga, and even then I watched it with about a 5 to 8 percent speed up, and it still dragged on.

Of the original Dragon Ball anime, I think I've seen most of it but I've never watched the Piccolo arcs and I've possibly missed a bit more before that as well (I read the manga instead.) I've seen all of the movies, though, and I find them to be rather enjoyable, given that they're not padded with filler. Growing up, I watched the three original DB movies on repeat so I have a soft spot for all of them, including their rather lackluster English dubs. Path To Power, though, I'm not really into, though I have seen it.

I've seen most of the DBZ anime. I watched all of it when it initially aired on Cartoon Network, up until the end of the Cell saga. For the longest time I had never seen the Buu saga until recently when I watched the whole thing subbed in Japanese (unfortunately, I don't have the corresponding manga volumes.) There are also a handful of DBZ movies that I've never seen, including movies 4, 13, the 2nd Cooler movie, and the 2nd and 3rd Broli movies.

I've never seen a lick of GT.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai, on the other hand, I really love and am in the process of watching. Even with its flaws (crummy editing at times and some filler needlessly left in) I find it to be leagues better than the original DBZ series, and this is coming from someone who grew up watching the original. Not a popular opinion here, I'm guessing, but I really can't stand the pacing of the original.

So I've seen Funi parts 1 through 4 of Kai (with Yamamoto) and am getting ready to watch the rest.

I haven't seen a lot of those obscure specials, either. Nor have I seen Episode Of Bardock.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Mar 10, 2013 3:29 am

Most of Dragon Ball in Japanese. Most of GT in Japanese. Most of the movies in Japanese. A lot of the manga...I'd say like half.

I plan to rectify most of this by the end of the year.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Retan
Advanced Regular

Post by Retan » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:00 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:
Not to get off subject but was new Dr. Slump even more of a mesh then the original? I haven't seen the original either but I loved the Manga and always wondered why they never brought either to the states. considering it's Toriyama's 2nd most popular series and one of the more popular series of its time.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun Mar 10, 2013 7:22 am

Retan wrote:Not to get off subject but was new Dr. Slump even more of a mesh then the original?
The second anime was better IMO. It was much shorter (only 74 episodes, along with 2 specials & 1 movie), with newer animation. It was a remake, so some events were altered, and of course, there are new ones (like the Dragon Ball crossover). I'm not recommending to watch this instead of the manga, but if you can buy the DVD's (or find them through "other" ways), and know Japanese (even though I don't know Japanese, I still watched it. There are not English subs, BTW :cry: ), then I recommend this over the original one.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Mar 10, 2013 1:08 pm

I've yet to see Dragon Ball: The Magic Begins, and don't really care to, honestly.

And of course, I've yet to see the new Battle of Gods movie or the OP/Toriko/DBZ crossover. But I'll definitely check them out when they are released.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Ketchup_Revenge
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ketchup_Revenge » Sun Mar 10, 2013 11:59 pm

I honestly can't tell you that I've seen the Cooler movies or the Android 13 movie, and if I did, I only saw them on Toonami YEARS ago.

Same with GT. I honestly can't tell you if I've seen all of it or not, and I don't think I have. But I really don't want to.
I wipe it off the tile, the light is brighter this time, everything is 3D blasphemy.
My eyes are red and gold, the hair is standing straight up, this is not the way I picture me.
I can't control my shakes, how the hell did I get here? Something about this, so very wrong.
I have to laugh out loud, I wish I didn't like this. Is it a dream or a memory?

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:24 am

I've yet to see all but a few scattered bits and pieces of the Androids-to-Cell arc of FUNimation's dub of Kai. Really want to pick up the "season" sets for it sooner or later. Especially with a Majin Boo arc probably-sorta on the horizon.

Pretty sure I've yet to watch the Garlic Jr arc all the way through, too. THAT one I'm in no rush to get to.
Dragon Ball ended in 1997.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 12:29 am

A lot of the RRA arc. Almost all the manga.