Why won't FUNimation release new copies of Dragon Box Z 2?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

oXdanXo
Regular

Re: Why won't FUNimation release new copies of Dragon Box Z

Post by oXdanXo » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:19 am

superrayman3 wrote:
Pretorious wrote:I would much rather have the original Dragon Box 2, because it would complete my collection, plus the packaging and Dragon Books are gorgeous, but I would buy the singles if that's all I could get.
Personally I'd like the DBOX's as well because I like how they look and I think it would make a nice addition to my collection but I'm willing to take singles if FUNi's willing to release them.
Pretorious wrote:The Dragon Books are excellent extras, I think. Not sure why anyone would be down on them.
Some people may be down on them because some people only care about the footage, personally I think the Dragon Books are a nice thing to have as a bonus for collectors, but at it's core most fans want the DBOX's mainly for the video.
Pretorious wrote:What difference does it make that there aren't on-disc extras?
It all depends on what kind of on-disc extras you're talking about, if you're referring to the extras that were on the original japanese DBOX's like the Bardock and Trunks specials, as well as the small featurette Toei did showcasing the many international dubs of DBZ, then for people that want for the most part complete faithfulness to the source material which in this case would be the DBOX's with all original extras, they feel that their sets are incomplete despite the fact that the initial series was completely released.
I can understand you'd rather have the Dragon Box that's my point for people that are driven to the Nth degree they can still buy it, albeit for a very expensive price, I would gladly do that with a lot of remorse and no doubt hate for the scalper I purchased from like I did with my Iron Man Blu Ray Steelbook, which I paid 5 times the MSRP, but I won't do that for One Piece Season 2 Voyage 5, as a matter of fact that single handedly stopped me from buying One Piece on DVD anymore. That's why I'm saying that they should put out singles, so everyone has a chance to get the great footage but they will be more expensive so the option is always there but then the fans that decided to wait and hope that sellers like Amazon would have to misfortune to have to lower the price and then they pick them up at say half the price that fans bought at the start.

If people hold out for a cheaper price and I pay the full price then I feel gutted that they had a better deal than me if I didn't manage to open and watch my set before them.
Sometimes I wait for a cheaper price like I've done with a few Blu Ray Steelbooks that I wanted because I already own the film and don't want to pay whatever it is like £15 for a new case although I want the case. Suddenly when it's sold out and I have no choice I end up paying more to the scalpers when I was hoping play.com or amazon.co.uk would have too much stock and have to loose money to me. These people I don't have sympathy for since it's their fault they are paying more for it. Suddenly after the initial sell out they are the "fan" who is willing to pay the MSRP gladly, but can't find it anywhere. (This happens to me on about half of the steelbooks including the cooler steelbook :) I buy and I hate myself almost as much as I hate the scalper that's profiting from me.)
But if you're a newcomer and would gladly pay the MSRP had the product still been available (I only got into one piece after they discontinued some of season 2.) then I feel bad for them as the scalpers are taking advantage when it's not their fault, it's swings and roundabouts, that's the only reason I believe they should re-release it at all, because then a new fan could have the option to get all of the singles, and any fan who originally didn't want to buy the sets at full price instead of now being able to snag one for the correct price is either forced to have a non matching set where some are singles if they can live with that or get rid of the ones they do have and get a full set of singles or if they are really after the boxes for the books and nice packaging then they pay more.

I'm kind of with OutlawTorn in that they could release them in rubish packaging with different artwork on the discs, no Dragon Books and charge more for them so those fans who are new can still get the series and those who waiting to save money didn't pay off for can either fill the gaps or buy the entire set to have the series as well, kind of like the one piece collections which I'll be switching to, I just wish I knew that season 2 had some OOP before I bought season 1 in voyage format.

If you're a new fan then I feel bad for you, I personally bought 2 of every box incase one arrived damaged, I've been a fan of Dragon Ball ever since it first aired in the UK and I'm in your position with the Orange bricks, I'm missing 2 of the 9 because even though I love Dragon Ball I live in the UK and we only had 3 movies released and none of the series, I stumbled across someone selling a season set at a car boot sale, went home and googled it straight away a few years ago and found out the US had a release. I bought 1 a month and by the time I only had 2 (either season 2 and 4 or 3 and 4) left to go they stopped printing them with the little booklets so I have to buy them used if I want to complete the set and I know I will have to pay more for them but I'll still do it eventually.

I got into the figures just after the Legend Of Saiyan Volume 2 DX were discontinued and I had to pay twice the price for this particular figure
http://www.cybercombatclub.com/resine-g ... aiyan2.jpg
It's my favourite one apart from the 2 Super Saiyan 4 GT figures which are too expensive for me to buy, but if they were released after I started collecting then I would have 2 of each of the SSJ4 and 2 of the Gohan figures.

If you're on here constantly then I'll PM you when I find a cheap DBox 2 as I look all the time at all Dragon Ball products and most of the time the great deals are either inside the US for shipping (DVDs) or inside Japan (Figures).

In response to Bagginses I paid $50-70 for each box, whatever Amazon.com listed them at I think I got luck with a box which they listed as $40 but then I also paid the Royal Mail charge for clearing customs and 20% import tax on some of the boxes that customs decided to charge me for so some of the $70 boxes ended up at $90 (I think only one box ended up at $90 though as most of the boxes were $50 on Amazon and some customs never charged me.)

ABED, some of them do it expecting to make nothing but profit, there were 5000 Iron Man 1 steelbooks released in the UK, the scalper I bought mine from only had 10 but a scalper that offered me one who only wanted a fraction more than I ended up paying had over 100 of them, admittedly they take a risk buying so many, and it could go belly up for them, a lot of people pay stupid money afterwards, I bought 2 Skyfall steelbooks and on release people were already paying £50 for a £15 steelbook, I only bought 2 because I love the film and didn't want to get a damaged one, I can understand buying multiple copies, but when they're just out to profit of similar people then they're helping to create a problem when eventually there is going to be something that they can't get their hands on and they will end up having to fork out more to someone else who's doing the same thing. That said they're not the cause at all, it's the people that think they're fans by paying way over the ods just so they can get the release that they covet so much. If no-one paid over the odds then the scalpers would end up having to sell on at a loss, however then the fans that are willing to pay more risk not getting a copy when the scalpers end up selling low because everyone can afford it.
Next to get; Leged of Saiyan figures and Freeza's force

If anyone sees
Any of the Legend of Saiyan line going cheapish
Or any other Banpresto DBZ figure :)

If anyone has a cooler steelbook dvd that wants to sell it (prefer new but used is fine) when/if the dragon box movies comes out contact me :)

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:51 am

You have to ask yourself how much you want something. I'm well aware of the concept of scalping but they don't have any market power beyond what their buyers give them. I don't begrudge anyone for selling a DVD or blu ray for over 100 bucks. I'm only willing to pay a certain amount for a copy of Iron Man. The steel books are nice but I have so many dvds and blurays, it's innevitable that most sit there and gather dust so anything over 25 dollars is a waste of my money. However, I don't hold it against scalpers for making money off people that want something that bad.

"ABED, some of them do it expecting to make nothing but profit, there were 5000 Iron Man 1 steelbooks released in the UK, the scalper I bought mine from only had 10 but a scalper that offered me one who only wanted a fraction more than I ended up paying had over 100 of them, admittedly they take a risk buying so many, and it could go belly up for them"
That's always the case. Best Buy purchases a lot of copies hoping to sell a lot. If they underbuy, they won't have enough to sell, if they buy to many, that takes up valuable shelf space and it's an expense.

If you know all this happens, then buy it when it comes out. Save for it before hand.

It was basically a given that the American Dragon Boxes were going to be a very limited release so the chances of them falling in price after a while was slim. Even so, the last few dragon boxes were only a little over $30. That's hardly breaking the bank. At less than a dollar per episode, that's one hell of a bargain.

Lastly, notice how people are assumed to be greedy to want to make money but not to want to save money.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Mar 03, 2013 6:17 pm

Dragon Box Z Vol. 2 Used OOP was sold for US $275.00 (Approx £183).

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DragonBall-Z-Dr ... true&rt=nc

The price at the very last seconds rose quite a bit, but there's always more that'll turn up.

========

Brand New Sealed Dragon Box Z Vol. 2 auction is currently US $300.00 (Approx £199), with 3 days left still. Price might increase even more.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151002749075?ss ... 1423.l2649
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:07 am

Brand New Factory Sealed - Dragon Box 2 was sold for $420. Quite surprised and somewhat shocked by the high price, but then again, there's been times when it was sold for $500 and $600.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151002749075?ss ... 1423.l2649

I'll probably regret if I sold my Dragon Box Z Collection to then be unable to have the series with its deserved quality release, and with official English subs.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Saiyan Prince Vegeta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Saiyan Prince Vegeta » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:26 am

That was me who bought that. :P

Commander_Red
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Commander_Red » Fri Mar 08, 2013 8:29 am

I'd prefer a rerelease to at least have the same packaging. There's a shoulder on my shelf that seemingly belongs to nobody, I want to give it more body.

oXdanXo
Regular

Post by oXdanXo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:30 am

I would hate that, even though I have no plans to sell either of mine it would devalue them and possibly make them worth very little, if a company creates more stock than their fan base eventually retailers reduce the price to try and sell remaining copies to new people. I would hate to see what I paid full price for drop in value considering most of the other 6 boxes decreased from the RRP.

I think some companies if they are planning a release like the 7 dragon boxes will intentionally make a lower print on one of them so it maintains it's value so the people who buy straight away don't feel bad when 6 of them go down in value.
Same thing happened with the Cooler Steelbook. I'm not accusing Funimation of anything :)

If anyone sees

If anyone has a cooler steelbook dvd that wants to sell it (prefer new but used is fine) when/if the dragon box movies comes out contact me :)

gialloman

Post by gialloman » Fri Mar 08, 2013 3:14 pm

I'm hoping for the dragon box singles, because the orange bricks keep getting worse, my set of season 5 is full of terrible audio issues and most of the fights with cell start out fine, but that quickly switches to white lines poping up

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:27 pm

I'm hoping Funimation may do a re-run of all seven with the Movies set. All they had were booklets for a "special feature", it's not like they really need to be slimmed down.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

oXdanXo
Regular

Post by oXdanXo » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:25 pm

You're missing the point though a re print goes against the "limited run" of these boxes, the best you should hope for is singles, if Funni did a reprint I would want to sue.

If anyone sees

Tullece
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Tullece » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:18 am

A little of topic but does anyone know if funi has plans on releasing dragon box of dragon ball or of the 17 movies and specials?

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:58 am

There is an inherent flaw in the Dragon Boxs in so far as getting them rereleased.

The very formatting and setup of the sets (default language, not putting them together as 'seasons', etc.) was meant specifically for the 'fan'.

One of the reasons we still see the Orange Bricks is that the very formatting of them allows them to appeal to the 'not DBZ fan'.

A 'nicer' release ala the Dboxes just isn't sellable like that. It's why the release was limited in the first place. Because there are only so many people who would buy such a set.

Reprinting could always end up happening for whatever reason, but until it does, the short answer is- There just aren't enough people who would want it to risk doing another printing. The smaller the printing run the more expensive it is (comparatively.)

Generally, volume 1 of a show will always be the biggest seller. Funimation no doubt knows exactly how the sets sold, and likely can figure out 'X' people who bought other volumes who might need a volume 2 (since it's the most mentioned as people needing) isn't large enough to make a reprint work, even when you top that number off with 'other' people who might not have bought any of the boxes the first time around.

Plenty of anime companies have overprinted limited releases, to the point that years later they were easily findable...

Could it happen? Yes. Although I doubt it.

There are still DBZ releases to do no doubt, but it's a matter of what to focus on and how. (Hooray for late night ramblings!)
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.