DB's king

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DaemonCorps
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

DB's king

Post by DaemonCorps » Fri Apr 14, 2006 8:36 pm

Sorry, I keep thinking of topics :?.

Alright: I remember watching the finale/semi-finales of the Cell Saga, Buu Saga and Dark Dragons Saga. What I noticed was that they mentioned the king (of either the world or a sector) being part of both episodes. Now, the Dark Dragons Saga was the final saga for GT, and I remember the Cell Saga was supposed to be the finale for DBZ ('course, so was the Freeza Saga, but whatever...).

My question is how come they put the king during these finales (or what's supposed to be finales in some cases)? My guess is Toriyama thought it would make sense to have have him in the finales since he's one of the only people outside of Goku's "group of friends" that knows of Goku's greatness (for lack of a better word). Of course, the Budoukai Announcer knows, too, but whatever...

I find it odd that GT would remember the king, but forget that Uub is supposed to be significantly strong in comparison to Goten and Gohan. And don't get me started about the whole Gotenks not being there :roll:

For those who forgot, the king is this little dog (or is it a wolf?) that wears a nice little suit and "reigns" at his castle (known as King's Castle). I'd put a picture here, but I can't find one. Anyways, at the end of the Cell Games, he thanks Goku for saving the Earth, knowing that Mr. Satan couldn't have been Earth's savior. In the Buu Saga, he's seen donating his power to Goku's Genki-Dama. When the Earth is being polluted in GT, King's Castle gets struck by lightning and begins to burn.
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!
YouTube Essays | twitter | webcomic | instantaneous movement grams

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:14 pm

He was in the Piccolo Daimao saga in the original DB as well.

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:15 pm

Castor Troy wrote:He was in the Piccolo Daimao saga in the original DB as well.
Yeah, but that was his first appearance. But oddly enough, he played a pretty big role at the end of that Saga. Maybe that's why Toriyama wanted to keep him-- because he had such a big purpose for a new character that doesn't do much afterwards (kind like Yajirobe, but without all of the haters out there).

Anyone else out there? Please don't be turned back because I typed so much!
10-30 minutes have most likely passed between my clicking to comment and actually posting. Curse my habit of thinking how to word my posts for too long!

SylentEcho
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SylentEcho » Sat Apr 15, 2006 9:58 pm

If you notice Toriyama keeps varoius characters throughout the series......to give a hint of nostalgia and also to make us remember the pleasent memories of previous sagas in which that character appeared.....like if you notice, Gohan (chibi) , Chibi Goten and Trunks were all chased by a dinosaur.......Gokuu and Gohan were both chased by a sabertooth tiger......and also the Commander of the army who leads his army agaist Nappa (that dog or whatever animal he is).....he is also seen 2 or 3 times in the series.

and the King was always used in the finales.....Furiza saga was supposed to be the end of DB/Z but the King wasnt featured in it because it didnt relate to him in any way.....I'm sure if Furiza came on earth or something then they would have shown him. :mrgreen:

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Sat Apr 15, 2006 10:00 pm

Mind you, the tiger, dinosaur, and animal commander cameos were all thrown in by Toei. The King was the only one Toriyama himself kept putting in (I think).

DaemonCorps

Post by DaemonCorps » Sat Apr 15, 2006 11:27 pm

SylentEcho wrote:If you notice Toriyama keeps varoius characters throughout the series......to give a hint of nostalgia and also to make us remember the pleasent memories of previous sagas in which that character appeared.....like if you notice, Gohan (chibi) , Chibi Goten and Trunks were all chased by a dinosaur.......Gokuu and Gohan were both chased by a sabertooth tiger......and also the Commander of the army who leads his army agaist Nappa (that dog or whatever animal he is).....he is also seen 2 or 3 times in the series.

and the King was always used in the finales.....Furiza saga was supposed to be the end of DB/Z but the King wasnt featured in it because it didnt relate to him in any way.....I'm sure if Furiza came on earth or something then they would have shown him. :mrgreen:
Ah, I guess that makes sense.
That's pretty cool that Toei put all of that mirroring events stuff in there. Well, now that my question's been fully answered, are there any other times where some events are "replayed?" You already mentioned all of the ones that I can think up of the top of my head :D .

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:00 am

Thanos6 wrote:Mind you, the tiger, dinosaur, and animal commander cameos were all thrown in by Toei. The King was the only one Toriyama himself kept putting in (I think).
The King's appearances at the end of the Cell and Buu sagas were both anime only, too. :P

Thanos6
Advanced Regular

Post by Thanos6 » Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:23 am

You're right about Buu, but I could swear the King was in the manga for Cell...

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Sun Apr 16, 2006 4:48 am

Indeed he was.

Metrite
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Metrite » Sun Apr 16, 2006 12:50 pm

Thanos6 wrote:You're right about Buu, but I could swear the King was in the manga for Cell...
Not at the end, but he did appear a while before then(around the start of the Cell games).