The Chōzenshū databook thread: speculation, discussion, etc.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Re: The Chōzenshū databook thread: speculation, discussion,

Post by omegalucas » Thu May 16, 2013 3:08 pm

Yo, can anybody who has the Chōgashū already take a picture of it without the dust jacket? I wanna see those "arrival on Kaio's planet" sketches!
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:29 pm

VegettoEX wrote:We already added the overview page for Chōzenshū 4. The interviews from that will come eventually, but they're a bit longer than the Chōgashū one and will take more time.
Alright then.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Thu May 16, 2013 3:30 pm

Interviews are fun and all, especially if they contain new information as well, but have none of the recent Chozenshu had any actual "new" content in the pages themselves? I was really hoping we'd get some more "Miscellaneous Tidbits" like we saw in the first one, such as the Earth being Planet 4032-877 and the mention of the Seventh Universe. I know those stemmed from Battle of Gods, but I was still wishing for some more, similar tidbits that hadn't made it into the film or something...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu May 16, 2013 3:31 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Interviews are fun and all, especially if they contain new information as well, but have none of the recent Chozenshu had any actual "new" content in the pages themselves? I was really hoping we'd get some more "Miscellaneous Tidbits" like we saw in the first one, such as the Earth being Planet 4032-877 and the mention of the Seventh Universe. I know those stemmed from Battle of Gods, but I was still wishing for some more, similar tidbits that hadn't made it into the film or something...
I want to know if the character and special attack dictionary's have been updated. From what I see the Character dictionary is updated (and hopefully Goku, Gohan, Vegeta, Gotenks, etc also get updates as well as Uisu and Birus. Though I don't see a note that the special attack dictionary has changed at all.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Thu May 16, 2013 8:50 pm

Does Choezenshu 4 describe anything about SSJ God in the special attack dictionary?

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Fri May 17, 2013 2:09 pm

I could have sworn the Chogashu had its own thread, but I guess it's sharing this one with the Chozenshuu. Re:The new interview, it's simultaneously disheartening and hilarious how every other word from Toriyama is "I hate drawing."
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Fri May 17, 2013 2:38 pm

B wrote:Re:The new interview, it's simultaneously disheartening and hilarious how every other word from Toriyama is "I hate drawing."
The man said many times that he was more interested in the designs and story than actual drawings, it's just that I think he states much more frankly that he doesn't like drawing, he likes the creation process, not having to spend time and effort materializing what you created in your head. 8) I would be the same way, I'm interested in creation, but would like it to be just a copy/paste into reality of the picture that's on my mind, not having to actually do anything for it to be out there. :D

And that's why he liked his role on the new movie: working on the designs and story, leaving other people to materialize the thing, doing those hundred exhausting drawing and coloring tasks.
And you saw the result when the man does exactly what he wants and doesn't do the things he dislikes: it gives the best Dragon Ball movie ever with the best designs and story for a DB movie!
I think he has found the place he likes and will be back for more movies: being able to expand on his universe without having to tediously draw and color, just thinking about looks and story and some dialogues like he likes to do, I think he enjoys that new way to expand the Dragon World.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:44 pm

Cold Skin wrote:
B wrote:Re:The new interview, it's simultaneously disheartening and hilarious how every other word from Toriyama is "I hate drawing."
The man said many times that he was more interested in the designs and story than actual drawings, it's just that I think he states much more frankly that he doesn't like drawing, he likes the creation process, not having to spend time and effort materializing what you created in your head. 8) I would be the same way, I'm interested in creation, but would like it to be just a copy/paste into reality of the picture that's on my mind, not having to actually do anything for it to be out there. :D

And that's why he liked his role on the new movie: working on the designs and story, leaving other people to materialize the thing, doing those hundred exhausting drawing and coloring tasks.
And you saw the result when the man does exactly what he wants and doesn't do the things he dislikes: it gives the best Dragon Ball movie ever with the best designs and story for a DB movie!
I think he has found the place he likes and will be back for more movies: being able to expand on his universe without having to tediously draw and color, just thinking about looks and story and some dialogues like he likes to do, I think he enjoys that new way to expand the Dragon World.
I hope so. DBZ with Toriyama back can move on to further greatness.

Scarz
I Live Here

Post by Scarz » Sat May 18, 2013 9:16 pm

The Chōgashū is out of print on CD Japan (money was a little tight this month and I had to choose between the Chōgashū or the last two Chozenshu books). Does anyone know if there's another site that still has it in-stock? The lowest I can find on ebay is $74 (at the moment). Do you think it will eventually show up on Mandarake?

I also live in NY, so by any chance Book-Off or Kinokuniya might have it?

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Sat May 18, 2013 11:52 pm

Scarz wrote:The Chōgashū is out of print on CD Japan (money was a little tight this month and I had to choose between the Chōgashū or the last two Chozenshu books). Does anyone know if there's another site that still has it in-stock? The lowest I can find on ebay is $74 (at the moment). Do you think it will eventually show up on Mandarake?

Woah already? This worries me... I was hoping to pick it up in a couple months...............

SaiyaJedi
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by SaiyaJedi » Sun May 19, 2013 3:50 am

Scarz wrote:The Chōgashū is out of print on CD Japan (money was a little tight this month and I had to choose between the Chōgashū or the last two Chozenshu books). Does anyone know if there's another site that still has it in-stock? The lowest I can find on ebay is $74 (at the moment). Do you think it will eventually show up on Mandarake?

I'd at least contact Kinokuniya in Manhattan and Sanseidō in Edgewater, NJ (at Mitsuwa Marketplace). Give them the release date, the ISBN, the publisher, and the title, and see what happens.
Co-translator, Man-in-Japan, and Julian #1 at Kanzenshuu
最近、あんまし投稿してないねんけど、見てんで。いっつも見てる。

Alpha_Flight

Post by Alpha_Flight » Sun May 19, 2013 12:35 pm

The Chogashu is up for order on http://www.play-asia.com as it is featured as the "Product of the week".

I just ordered mine. To all interested....seeing how fast CD Japan sold out, I recommend getting one soon!

- AF

Jawdrahb
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jawdrahb » Sun May 19, 2013 2:45 pm

otaku.com | DRAGON BALL Cho Gashu*
*Spoiler alert, link does include page previews.
Buy DRAGON BALL Cho Gashu - Play-Asia.com
Rakuten: DRAGON BALL super collection of pictures
Last edited by Jawdrahb on Sun May 26, 2013 6:50 am, edited 7 times in total.

medama_oyaji
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by medama_oyaji » Sun May 19, 2013 5:22 pm

I panicked and bought form YesAsia http://www.yesasia.com/us/1033087157-0-0-0-en/info.html $58 and free shipping!

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Sun May 19, 2013 5:31 pm

Could someone tell me what is the total price ( Dollar currency ) of the 4 Chōzenshū and the Chōgashū??

Would greatly appreciate it!!

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun May 19, 2013 6:03 pm

I'm kicking myself for not buying the Chogashu from CDJapan before they ran out of stock. Luckily, YesAsia was the next best retailer in terms of pricing (with free shipping to boot), so I ended up buying it from there instead of regretting it later. I look forward to cracking this baby open and savoring the art in about 3 weeks. :D
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

Jawdrahb
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jawdrahb » Sun May 19, 2013 6:22 pm

medama_oyaji wrote:I panicked and bought form YesAsia http://www.yesasia.com/us/1033087157-0-0-0-en/info.html $58 and free shipping!
Thanks for sharing. I can't believe I completely overlooked checking let alone including that in my now misbegotten post!
MDSTSSJ wrote:Could someone tell me what is the total price ( Dollar currency ) of the 4 Chōzenshū and the Chōgashū??

Would greatly appreciate it!!
Due to the differing availability of each book, the 'total' price really depends on when and where you get them from. Try looking up the items in question at places like CDJapan, YESASIA and Amazon Japan.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sun May 19, 2013 9:10 pm

For once I'm glad that I came home drunk and bought something on a whim. I think cd Japan were down to their last two at the time.

Alpha_Flight

Post by Alpha_Flight » Sun May 19, 2013 10:32 pm

Have any of you fine folks ordered from Play-Asia? They are a Hong Kong based company, which I have never dealt with. Since CD Japan was sold out, I did a total panic purchase... Although online reviews were about 70 percent good. Fingers crossed...

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun May 19, 2013 10:49 pm

I ordered a few Dragon Ball CDs from Play-Asia a few years back. They're a bit more pricey compared to CDJapan or YesAsia, but the shipping takes about as long as you'd expect from any import purchase. And I received the CDs in good condition, so that's always good. They're a pretty solid retailer from my experiences shopping with them.

For those interested in still getting the Chogashu for a decent price, YesAsia's got it for $58 with free shipping: http://www.yesasia.com/us/1033087157-0-0-0-en/info.html
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.