Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EA575
Regular

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by EA575 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:15 pm

I don't know if this has been posted already but will the BoG DVDs and Blu-ray come with English subs?

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:17 pm

EA575 wrote:I don't know if this has been posted already but will the BoG DVDs and Blu-ray come with English subs?
I think the answer was no a few pages back, but maybe not.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Sat Jun 08, 2013 10:24 pm

Oh ok. I haven't been here in months to avoid any movie spoilers lol

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:08 am

Fri1991 wrote:I just want the film to be released here already. I'm fine with seeing the movie with the FUNimation in-house cast, but I just hope the film gets a general theatrical release here in the States if FOX does plan on putting it on the big screen. The film was financially successful in the Japanese box office, but it would suck if the film got a limited release here.
If this movie gets anything more than a limited release, I will watch someone else eat their shorts.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:25 am

CDJapan appears to be out of posters.....well, fuck. :cry :Was finally getting around to placing my order too (never used CD Japan before, so I have to sign up, etc.).

This means I'll have to drop $40 on one on eBay, unless of course I'm satisfied with these little things when I get them:
Would look quite awesome with all 18 of these lined up in a big frame. :D

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:28 am

I just noticed how Dragon Ball Movie #3 and Path to Ultimate Strength use the manga logo.
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:20 am

B wrote:If this movie gets anything more than a limited release, I will watch someone else eat their shorts.
I'll never understand why people on this forum think like this. Tons of people in the US would go see it in a heart beat.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:30 am

Kuwabara wrote:
B wrote:If this movie gets anything more than a limited release, I will watch someone else eat their shorts.
I'll never understand why people on this forum think like this. Tons of people in the US would go see it in a heart beat.
Yeah, they will, but only if it's dubbed into English. Truth of the matter is while foreign media such as Dragon Ball, Godzilla, and various others are popular here, most folks here in the states would want to see it in their native language. If it was released subtitled, granted, there are still people out there would be willing to see it subbed, but that's in a low minority and would not be very successful, even in a limited theater run. The last/ only successful subbed movie here was Crouching Tiger, Hidden Tiger and that was 13 years ago. Releasing it subbed would hurt them in the long run in a business point of view.
My Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/user/TP2O

Kuwabara
Regular

Post by Kuwabara » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:46 am

I highly doubt a wide theatrical run would be subbed.
This is the episode of when Gokuh enrages himself after Freezer talk shit about Kuririn

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jun 09, 2013 11:16 am

Kuwabara wrote:
Because it's anime in 2013? Or 2014, depending on when it comes out. It's not going to get the same exposure and wide release as a Pixar film. It's simply not going to be in thousands of theaters. Your best bet at that is FOX. To use prior FUNinmation titles and going off of Box Office Mojo, the newest Fullmetal Alchemist movie was shown in 42 theaters. Evangelion 2.0 was in fifteen. It will be absolutely shocking to me if Battle of Gods is in more than 50 screens if it even gets a theatrical run in North America.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:30 pm

B is right. There is a small market for foreign films in the US which is why most of them go direct to video or have limited releases in the US. The whole idea of BOG playing in every theater in the US is not going to happen. I think the last foreign movie that got a major release in the US was Hero which made $53,710,019 in the US. Other Japanese films like Godzilla 2000 only made $10,037,390 in the US after being released in 2,111 theaters.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Sun Jun 09, 2013 1:55 pm

Don't Miyazaki movies still get decent theater exposure in the U.S? I mean, they're not as big as the American movies in theaters, but the at least get put out to some degree, right? So maybe there would be a market for Battle of Gods.
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:01 pm

Those movies are different since they are market to a bigger audience since they always appear to be popular with the general audience seeing that they are always critically acclaimed. I don't think the same can work with Dragon Ball Z since I think most movie goers in the US are not very familiar with the franchise outside the name.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:04 pm

OmegaRockman wrote:Don't Miyazaki movies still get decent theater exposure in the U.S? I mean, they're not as big as the American movies in theaters, but the at least get put out to some degree, right? So maybe there would be a market for Battle of Gods.
Yea, those play every now and then in theaters here in NY...

But, the Miyazaki movies are self contained stores and you don't need to know any backstory to enjoy it. Also like HellSpawn28 said, he's critically acclaimed and very well known.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:03 pm

On top of all that, the Ghibli films get backings from Disney. Disney.

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:24 pm

B wrote:On top of all that, the Ghibli films get backings from Disney. Disney.
Yep, plus they're dubbed which is also a factor.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:07 pm

thedarkuniter wrote:
Doesn't this go without saying? Who was hinting that a theatrical release in America would be subbed?

thedarkuniter
Beyond Newbie

Post by thedarkuniter » Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:07 pm

B wrote:
thedarkuniter wrote:
Doesn't this go without saying? Who was hinting that a theatrical release in America would be subbed?
I wasn't hinting at anything, I just pointing out dubbed material does better than subtitled media when it comes to theater releases. Plus with Disney on Studio Ghibili's side, almost every movie they released from them is a hit thanks to advertisement and promotions.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Jun 11, 2013 3:59 pm

That's been on the official Amazon page for ages now.