For fans that didn't grow up with Latin American DBZ dub...

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

For fans that didn't grow up with Latin American DBZ dub...

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:01 pm

What do you think Of Edson Matus as Goku?
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Re: For Fans That Didnt grow up with Latin America DBZ dub.

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:16 pm

Edson Matus really has some HATE story going on with him. I personally think he's cool, but he's known through out the latin american dub fans as a thief because he always gets roles that other great voice actors had before, Like it happened with Goku, it happened with Superman in the man of steel. Jose Vilchis (Kyo from zatch bell and Neji from Naruto) got casted first as Clark Kent, then the role passed down to Edson, you just need to pop his name to give seizures to latin american fans.

They usually accuse him of sounding bored all the time (stupidly enough, his screams are great). and much other nonsense, he actually gets much more love from Kanzenshuu than in all latino america.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Tue Jul 16, 2013 9:42 pm

Honestly, he is one of the few Kai voice changes I am okay with. He still gives me the old Mario Castañeda vibe. His voice doesn't sound that different from him, although it kinda sounds like he forces it sometimes. Obviously Castañeda is preferred, but Matus was certainly not a bad change... wish I could say the same for Gohan. Laura Torres was just legendary, and his Kai actor, whoever they are, are just awful. Haha.
So mondo lame.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Wed Jul 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Seems like a step up to me. A quick comparison video probably isn't enough to go on, but he's not bad. Reminds me of Schemmel.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Thu Jul 18, 2013 12:59 am

KingofWisdom wrote:Seems like a step up to me. A quick comparison video probably isn't enough to go on, but he's not bad. Reminds me of Schemmel.
That's the problem. for Latino Z KAI is basically a clone of the english dub, with english jokes and anything that sounds cool for english speaking people, only in spanish, latino fans feel insulted by it cuz our mindset for this series is different. basically the latino dub of Z mirrored the japanese score pretty well. with Mario castaneda being the voice for bardock, Goku and Turles and Laura Torres being the voice for Kid Goku, Kid Goku and Goten. Freeza's voice was like it's japanese counterpart, only a little more manlier. And even though we didn't get to it in Kai, Majin boo's voice actor (who played all of his forms) Made Fat buu and Kid Buu sound EXACTLY like the japanese version (his super buu voice was freaking great too). Even King Kai's voice actor sounded like the japanese king kai! with all it's flaws, Dragon ball z latino dub is just how a good dub is. All that is destroyed in Kai.... And King Kai has Homer Simpson's latino voice actor lol.

Though I have to admit, I love Android 17's voice in kai, Also Trunks is pretty freaking great I woulnd't mind him to continue the character (the original v.a is retired I think).

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:36 pm

My friend always raves about that dub. Can you link any good examples?
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Thu Jul 18, 2013 6:04 pm

Castañeda does have a better voice, yeah. But I prefer Matus' overall delivery (maybe that's because it reminds me of the FUNimation dub, though). I guess I can understand the frustration as well. I don't speak Spanish either, so take that for what it's worth.

Kai's Freeza and Gohan don't sound half bad either. :roll:
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Jul 20, 2013 9:15 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:Castañeda does have a better voice, yeah. But I prefer Matus' overall delivery (maybe that's because it reminds me of the FUNimation dub, though). I guess I can understand the frustration as well. I don't speak Spanish either, so take that for what it's worth.

Kai's Freeza and Gohan don't sound half bad either. :roll:

I know, so no hard feelings hehe, and you're right it's pretty frustrating...

and well for Kai's Freeza is not that bad, but his other voice actor is a long time pro actor, his delivery was like Nakao's (Finally remembered his name) and it was great.

Also... Gohan's voice... consider this. Laura Torres is for Us Latinos just like what Mazako-san is for Japan and you guys... she voiced all Goku's family when they were little Kid Goku in classic db and dbgt, and she was recast... in fact, they made her record the first cry of baby Goku and they never payed her. She is very dear for the fanbase in latinoamerica, all dbz voice actors are. They were always willing to please the fans, record for dbz latino fan websites for free, and chat with the fans when they had That's a major reason for the dub uproar.

Just imagine this. Mario Castaneda was so close to the fans that one day he took his daughter to a Con, she's sexy so everyone was whistling at her and he was cool with it, he would only say "Those are for me right?" while Carlos Segundo (Piccolo) was loling with them there. Really nice guys.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Jul 24, 2013 10:45 pm

Don't like it honestly. Then again I'm bias towards the Latin America dub. They all(With exception of the original Latin Gohan) sound like they're just reading off the script with no emotion IMO. Like they're reading a book.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Jul 24, 2013 11:31 pm

No offense, but to me, people in Latin America seem to tend to be strongly nostalgia-biased.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Thu Jul 25, 2013 1:51 am

kei17 wrote:No offense, but to me, people in Latin America seem to tend to be strongly nostalgia-biased.
Everyone's biased, people biased to japanese version, english version, faulconer, kikuchi, yamamoto. You name it. If you guys have the right to complain when your favorite versions get something you don't want. So do we!.

And by the way, In Latino American Dragon ball gets CONSTANT RERUNS, we hear those voices everyday, HECK they sometimes pop dbz movies in my institute's lobby tv. Even in restaurants. It's normal to get attached to those voices like that. People love them dearly, years ago the latino voice actors came to Ecuador, and one of my friends literally lost his mind when he had a chance to had dinner with Chi-chi's (she does chiaotzu too) Goku's and Piccolo's Voice actors. If I sound biased to be it. But we are freaking attached to the main voices.

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Thu Jul 25, 2013 10:14 pm

Okay, well about Gohan's voice change, I don't think Laura Torres's participation in the dub is enough to say it's a better voice. You gotta actually look at the two voices side by side, and when you do, Gohan's Kai voice is absolutely despicable. Laura Torres's delivery and voice were just so much better; just like with Clickenbeard in Kai and Nadolny in Z, I have no idea how anyone who could prefer Gohan's LatAm Kai VA versus his Z VA.
And about the dubs themselves, my cousin and I were watching Z the other day and then we watched Kai, and he agreed that the Latin American Kai dub was overall "una porqueria" (a piece of crap) and we watched the Latin American dub of Z and he was completely fine with it.
In addition to all this, a few years ago I met many fellow neighbourhood children here and each and every one of them seemed to like DBZ (at the time Kai hasn't arrived to Colombia), meaning that it is a very big and popular franchise here in Colombia, and most likely elsewhere in Latin America. So yes, most people would be accustomed to and prefer the old Z dub as a whole in LatAm; I haven't spoken to a single person here who prefers Kai.
So mondo lame.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:04 am

You guys are really lucky that your first attempt was a great dub unlike us since we had Faulconer, Granny Freeza and lines like "Cat loves food, yeah, yeah, yeah. To me Kai is what the Z dub should have been. Chris Ayres' Freeza is sweet music to my ears.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:56 am

DB_Fan1991 wrote:You guys are really lucky that your first attempt was a great dub unlike us since we had Faulconer, Granny Freeza and lines like "Cat loves food, yeah, yeah, yeah. To me Kai is what the Z dub should have been. Chris Ayres' Freeza is sweet music to my ears.

I wouldn't call it soo lucky. We got a good dub on the first try but then we got such a drastic (bad) change on Kai. The massive boycott of Kai here... you wouldn't believe it. Atleast you will most likely keep the Kai cast intact for the future. But we can't be happy if that happens to us now...

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:59 am

All I can say is, thank heavens some of the original cast already confirmed their roles for Battle of Gods...
So mondo lame.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:51 am

GotenDaisuki wrote:All I can say is, thank heavens some of the original cast already confirmed their roles for Battle of Gods...
Really now? That's good news! Who confirmed themselves for BoG, and when?
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:27 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:
GotenDaisuki wrote:All I can say is, thank heavens some of the original cast already confirmed their roles for Battle of Gods...
Really now? That's good news! Who confirmed themselves for BoG, and when?

Yeah, I just hope we keep the cast.

Confirmed voices:

Mario Castañeda as Goku
Rene Garcia as Vegeta
Eduardo Garza as Krillin
Ismael Larumbe as Tenshinhan
Ricardo Mendoza as Yamcha
Yamil Atala as Pilaf

Too bad New art dub studios are trying to hinder the progress because they got some of them on their black list. This dub company is known to screw up dubs, they changed the voice cast of the simpsoms and futurama much to horrible results (the cast wasn't consistent too). They actually lied to Diamon Films (they guys who are bringing the movie to latinoamerica) and told them Laura Torres was retired, which is not true.

There's actually a fan campaign for getting the original voices, we are flooding New art dub and Diamond films' pages with petitions regarding our custom cast. Believe it or not they are actually calling every person we asked. I hope this works out well!.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:02 pm

Black_Liger wrote:Believe it or not they are actually calling every person we asked.
Oh trust me, I believe that. I'll never forget the day that FUNimation's Facebook fan page was bombarded with angry demands from fans of the Latino dub to get the original cast back. That was unbelievable....there's obviously a lot of passion among Latin American fans for the original cast.

Here's hoping you guys get Laura Torres back! I'll admit, I don't speak a ton of Spanish, but I thought her voice for Goku/Gohan/Goten was super-adorable, and I can feel the emotion in her delivery (even if I don't know if it's spot-on or not since I don't speak a ton of Spanish).

The fact that BoG is even getting a dub is big news, though, because for a while I was wondering if it would be dubbed at all or if it would be a sub-only release. I was betting that it would get dubbed eventually, but it's nice to receive confirmation that it will be, because that strongly implies that we will get an English dub as well!
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

GotenDaisuki
Regular

Post by GotenDaisuki » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:12 pm

Apparently the cast is supposed to record either in late July or early August, but few of the original cast have confirmed their roles. Others are under negotiations or their decision is pending, but I seriously doubt the whole original cast will all confirm everything by the end of July or the beginning of August at all.
'
So mondo lame.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Sat Jul 27, 2013 2:06 am

This also makes me wonder if the original cast members who have returned for the movie will return for the inevitable Latin Spanish dub of the Kai-Buu arc.