Have you ever mark out for a character?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Have you ever mark out for a character?

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:22 am

For anyone who doesn't know. marking out is when you go wild for a character in excitement. In wrestling it's called a pop. I marked out when Gohan turn SSJ2 for example. In all seriousness and non example. I marked out when Goku turned SSJ3 just because of everything that was going on. With the screen shaking and towns being destroyed. I knew an ass kicking was coming. I'm sad Goku didn't finish the job through. This is not a favorite character topic. It's a mark out topic. Talk about how your excitement build up inside of you.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Re: Have you ever mark out for a character?

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:29 am

All this new terminology makes me feel old. I can't say this without sounding like a Dad trying to make his kids think he's cool.

I guess I "marked out" as the kids say, when Vegeta first landed on Earth. I knew something big was coming and I couldn't wait to see what was gonna happen.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:34 am

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:All this new terminology makes me feel old. I can't say this without sounding like a Dad trying to make his kids think he's cool.

I guess I "marked out" as the kids say, when Vegeta first landed on Earth. I knew something big was coming and I couldn't wait to see what was gonna happen.
I've never heard it either. I don't think I'm that old... :|

Goku's SSJ transformation, Gohan's SSJ2, Vegeta's SSJ (Actually, any time I heard the Faulconer Vegeta Super Saiyan theme), the Final Flash, and Piccolo telling Cell "I'm gonna pay you back for taking my arm. Maybe I'll take yours."
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:36 am

Off Topic:
I don't think I'm that old
. I honestly been wondering this. I can guess most members age. But how old are you? This going to sound wrong but you're bi-polar lol. One moment you have the qualities of a 34 year old and then you're an average teen lol.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:41 am

TheGmGoken wrote:Off Topic:
I don't think I'm that old
. I honestly been wondering this. I can guess most members age. But how old are you? This going to sound wrong but you're bi-polar lol. One moment you have the qualities of a 34 year old and then you're an average teen lol.
:lol:
I'm 22. Surely I'm not that out of touch with "what kids are saying nowadays," right? :lol:
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Jul 30, 2013 12:54 am

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
Tanooki Kuribo wrote:All this new terminology makes me feel old. I can't say this without sounding like a Dad trying to make his kids think he's cool.

I've never heard it either. I don't think I'm that old... :|
Phew, glad I'm not the only one who wasn't familiar with this phrase. I was pretty confused when I saw the title for this thread and I'm not particularly old either; I mean, I'm not among the youngest members now like I was when I joined, but... :lol:

DynasticHunter
Beyond Newbie

Post by DynasticHunter » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:47 am

I'm not familiar with "marked out" either. But I guess I marked out when Goku finally arrived on Earth during the Saiyan Saga but I think that was because I had been waiting for so long. It was really getting tedious every time they cut to Goku flying toward the battle always say something like "I've gotta go faster or I won't make in time", I was getting pretty annoyed. But I think that's what made the show so good, you felt what the characters were going through, annoyed that Goku still hadn't made it to the battlefield but when he did you knew something special would happen
steam: broccoili

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:51 am

What the hell is mark out?

I guess Gohan making Super Boo his bitch.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jul 30, 2013 1:58 am

Damn I thought more people would know :lol:

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:12 am

I marked out when Mr. Satan saved the world. (Again.)

Get it? Marked out? Mr. Satan? Get it? Huh? Huh? <rimshot>

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:14 am

TheGmGoken wrote:
I only know crap like "groovy" "out of sight" "rockin" "bitchin" etc. You feel me ol chap.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:31 am

Sedorna wrote:I marked out when Mr. Satan saved the world. (Again.)

Get it? Marked out? Mr. Satan? Get it? Huh? Huh? <rimshot>

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 5:25 am

TheGmGoken wrote:
I'm 17 and even I'd never heard of it.

Jodaku
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jodaku » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:39 am

Mark out is definitely a term used 95% of the time by Pro Wrestling fans, and even then, it's mostly used by those within the Internet Wrestling Community, so there's probably actual wrestling fans who wouldn't be familiar with the term.

To answer the question, it's easily Gohan that gave me the most mark out moments during the series, and they're a big reason why he's my favourite character and a fan of the series as a whole. My favourite specific ones are whenever he got his rage boosts and went nuts on Freeza. In many ways, I think Gohan during the Freeza arc is my favourite incarnation of his character.

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu » Tue Jul 30, 2013 6:42 am

"Marking out" is Pro-Wrestling terminology for when you cheer or go crazy for a particular wrestler. Wrestling fans have been referred to as *Marks or Smarks for many years now. The phrases really shouldn't be used for any other fandom because 1) It makes no sense 2) Non-wrestling fans will not understand it's meaning as we can clearly see in this thread. :)

*Marks are generally the casual wrestling fan, who'll cheer who they're "supposed" to cheer and not know much about behind the scenes. Smarks or Smart Marks or "Internet wrestling fans" are the die-hard fans who know some of the ins and outs of the business.

DynasticHunter
Beyond Newbie

Post by DynasticHunter » Tue Jul 30, 2013 7:42 am

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu wrote:"Marking out" is Pro-Wrestling terminology for when you cheer or go crazy for a particular wrestler. Wrestling fans have been referred to as *Marks or Smarks for many years now. The phrases really shouldn't be used for any other fandom because 1) It makes no sense 2) Non-wrestling fans will not understand it's meaning as we can clearly see in this thread. :)

*Marks are generally the casual wrestling fan, who'll cheer who they're "supposed" to cheer and not know much about behind the scenes. Smarks or Smart Marks or "Internet wrestling fans" are the die-hard fans who know some of the ins and outs of the business.
Well I use to be a wrestling fan and I have never heard of that in my life although I have heard of "pop".
steam: broccoili

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:01 am

The term "mark" has its roots in confidence schemes. The thiefs called their victims, the one's they were conning, "marks". Wrestling took the term because the wrestlers were "conning" the crowd into believing it was real. The term eventually became a term for "fan" and has by and large lost its negative connotation.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 9:55 am

Hard to choose but the number one for me is when Gohan is starting to choke against Cell during their Kamehameha beam battle and the world seems doomed...BUT THEN out of no where Vegeta saves the day by blasting Cell giving Gohan the opportunity to finish the job...finally.

Close runner ups:

Gohan to Super Boo "fight you? No I want to kill you."

Goku going Super Saiyan

Funimation dub lines:
Goku:" It's done."
Freeza: "What do you mean?!...Don't just stand there say something! You said its done what do you mean?!"
Goku: "Your energy level is decreasing with every blow, in fact you're not even a challenge to me any more. It wouldn't be fair for me to keep fighting you. I'm satisfied now. Your pride has been torn to shreds. You've challenged and lost to a fighter who is superior to you. And to make it worse he's just a monkey...right? It would be meaningless to fight you now. You're too scared and ashamed. Live with the shock. Keep it bottled up inside you. Silently."

Goku: "Goodbye Frieza, never do mischief again. May you live the rest of your life in peace."

Goku: "I don't understand why you call Saiyans by such mindless names. The only thing it does is reveal your own fear and ignorance. I guess name calling is your only attack because you're too WEAK to challenge me any other way!"

Vegeta: "Strength is the only thing that matters in this world. Everything else is just a delusion for the weak.
There is only one certainty in life...a strong man stands above and conquers all!!!"

Vegeta vs. Pui Pui
Vegeta: "Welcome to the end of your life. And I promise it's going to hurt. Ready for the pain?"
Vegeta: "Maybe if this was 500 times gravity you might have an advantage. But ten...I don't even feel it."

Majin Vegeta to Supreme Kai:
"Spend most of your life ruled by another. Watch your race dwindle to a handful. And THEN TELL ME What has more meaning than your own strength. I have in me the blood of a Saiyan prince, he is nothing but a joke! Yet I've had to watch him surpass me in strength. My destiny thrown to the wayside. He's-he's even saved my life as though I were a helpless child. He has stolen my honor...And his debts MUST BE paid."

Majin Vegeta to Babidi
Vegeta: "Get out of my head. I already told you. I will not be distracted from this anymore. I won't! It will take more than head games to stop me! You may have invaded my mind and my body, but there is one thing a Saiyan Always keeps HIS PRIIIIIIDE!"

Vegeta going SS

Gohan going SS2

Goku going SS3

Last but certainly not least: Mr. Satan saving Vegeta after Mr. Boo nails kid boo!! That was awesome!!
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:55 pm

Ryu-Ken Bakuhatsu wrote:"Marking out" is Pro-Wrestling terminology for when you cheer or go crazy for a particular wrestler. Wrestling fans have been referred to as *Marks or Smarks for many years now. The phrases really shouldn't be used for any other fandom because 1) It makes no sense 2) Non-wrestling fans will not understand it's meaning as we can clearly see in this thread. :)

Other fandom has used marked before. Cheering and going crazy does kinda make sense lol. I explained what marking out means and people did post moments where they did mark out even if hey are not familiar with the term.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Jul 30, 2013 3:29 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:
Goku: "Goodbye Freeza, never do mischief again. May you live the rest of your life in peace."
Why would Goku want Freeza to live in peace? He murdered countless lives and his best friend. The whole point of letting him live was so he could live with being humiliated by the species that he considered trash and beneath him which is in a way worse than death. Freeza was suppose to suffer with this scaring and not live in peace. Goku also doesn't want to be as bad as he is which is why he answered the plea and didn't finish him off.