Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Any general discussion regarding fan-created works of the Dragon Ball franchise, including AMVs, fan-art, fan-fiction, etc.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Fanmanga - DB Multiverse

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:55 pm

Marco Polo wrote:LOL the dialogue is so fanfic-y in these two pages. It just screams "Hey guys allow me to explictly describe all the power levels and who's stronger than who since I'm a fan who cares a lot about power level debates and all that shit!!".
To be fair, wasn't some of that dialogue more or less there in the original version? I seem to recall Goku and Vegeta commenting about how Boo's power went back down after he went from buff to kid forms anyway. And I know there was definitely a comment about 'Oh look how tiny he is, we can handle him now, dur hur' from Vegeta. You'd think he'd have learned by now not to doubt short people...
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:01 pm

You'd think he'd have learned by now not to doubt short people...
He could look in a mirror.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Vegeta was actually right in that case, as Pure Buu was complete weaksauce. Only a plot fiat made him survive for more than five seconds.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:06 pm

I'm not sure how the original version went, but if it's as you describe it's much better than this version since it was two characters talking to each other instead of someone talking to himself out loud. And a comment like that from Vegeta illustrates his arrogance, it tells us about his personality. Whereas in DBM Vegetto is just acting as the narrator.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:19 pm

Vegetto talks to himself so he can have intelligent conversation.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:23 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:
You'd think he'd have learned by now not to doubt short people...
He could look in a mirror.
Exactly. He's not exactly a towering, imposing figure either, and yet he's still a force to be reckoned with. And how long did he live in fear of Freeza again? And (though this one's more of a stretch I admit) how quickly did he get his ass handed to him by the smaller (well, more slimmer than anything, hence the stretch) Cell? I rest my case.
RandomGuy96 wrote:Vegeta was actually right in that case, as Pure Buu was complete weaksauce. Only a plot fiat made him survive for more than five seconds.
He was still strong enough that he was too much for Goku to take down (though the SS3 conundrum is the plot thing you're talking about I'm guessing), and way too much for poor Vegeta to handle.
Marco Polo wrote:I'm not sure how the original version went, but if it's as you describe it's much better than this version since it was two characters talking to each other instead of someone talking to himself out loud. And a comment like that from Vegeta illustrates his arrogance, it tells us about his personality. Whereas in DBM Vegetto is just acting as the narrator.
True, it being two people conversing does make it come off a little less weak. I was just suggesting that was probably why the dialogue is almost the same though - the only change in this story is that Vegito didn't unfuse. That, at the point in time of this special anyway, is a pretty minor change, extremely late in the story's game. So things are playing out much more closely to the original than ever before.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:56 pm

Good god the art is great. Just as good when the series started
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

Son Edo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Son Edo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:35 am

Marco Polo wrote:
LOL the dialogue is so fanfic-y in these two pages. It just screams "Hey guys allow me to explictly describe all the power levels and who's stronger than who since I'm a fan who cares a lot about power level debates and all that shit!!".
I'd be mad too if my favorite character was about to be killed.

Dr. Machismo
Banned

Post by Dr. Machismo » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:44 am

Marco Polo wrote: LOL the dialogue is so fanfic-y in these two pages. It just screams "Hey guys allow me to explictly describe all the power levels and who's stronger than who since I'm a fan who cares a lot about power level debates and all that shit!!".
It makes for a fitting personality for Vegerot. Highly observant and all.
The world's greatest.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:16 am

Marco Polo wrote:I'm not sure how the original version went, but if it's as you describe it's much better than this version since it was two characters talking to each other instead of someone talking to himself out loud. And a comment like that from Vegeta illustrates his arrogance, it tells us about his personality. Whereas in DBM Vegetto is just acting as the narrator.
So? What exactly is the problem with that? At most, the only think we can complain about is the fact that Vegetto is talking instead of just thinking... But honestly who the hell cares if its a thought bubble or a talk bubble? In fiction, characters talk to themselves all the time to let the audience in on some things.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:43 pm

I think it will be BS if the fight between Kid Buu and Vegito goes on for way too long. SSj Vegito would kill Kid Buu in one attack given how he beat the living crap after Super Buu 3. I believe that Super Buu is stronger then Kid Buu and SSj Vegito would kill Super Buu in one blow.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:37 pm

He was still strong enough that he was too much for Goku to take down (though the SS3 conundrum is the plot thing you're talking about I'm guessing), and way too much for poor Vegeta to handle.
Nah, I'm talking about Gohan being conveniently out cold when Buu blew up the planet, and later Goku conveniently declining to bring Gohan to one-shot Buu. If those things hadn't happened, the resulting fight would last one panel. Pure Buu beat Goku fair and square, and I don't think the result would've been much different if Goku's SS3 was working properly.

Vegeta never thought that he could take Pure Buu.

I actually don't remember ANY time where Vegeta underestimated someone due to size- he underestimated Freeza due to his "I'm a Super Saiyan" high, and underestimated Cell for the same reason- and it's worth noting that Cell isn't someone you'd underestimate on size. He's very tall.

In fact, Buu is possibly the worst example you could've cited when going for that point- the freakishly tall and also quite muscular Super Buu is the powerhouse of the Buus, dwarfing the power of the small scrawny Pure Buu.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:45 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:

Pure Buu beat Goku fair and square, and I don't think the result would've been much different if Goku's SS3 was working properly.
Kid Buu only one because Goku didn't try to destroy him. It was said right in the manga.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 11:49 pm

No, Pure Buu won because Goku tried, but Pure Buu just kept beating on him. And Goku couldn't do shit about it because Pure Buu was stronger, more resilient, and could gather energy faster.

Chapter: 510 (DBZ 316), P13.1-6
Vegeta: “Don’t hesitate for my sake, and finish him off! With that Super Saiyan 3, you should be able to completely wipe out Boo with your ki once you gather it with all your might…!”
Goku: “Ye…yeah…I’ve been thinking of doing that as well since awhile back, but…I haven’t gotten the chance.”
Vegeta: “Eh?”
Goku: “If I want to wipe him out, I gotta gather ki for about one minute.”
Vegeta: “One minute!?"
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:41 pm

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Nah, I'm talking about Gohan being conveniently out cold when Buu blew up the planet, and later Goku conveniently declining to bring Gohan to one-shot Buu. If those things hadn't happened, the resulting fight would last one panel. Pure Buu beat Goku fair and square, and I don't think the result would've been much different if Goku's SS3 was working properly.

Vegeta never thought that he could take Pure Buu.

I actually don't remember ANY time where Vegeta underestimated someone due to size- he underestimated Freeza due to his "I'm a Super Saiyan" high, and underestimated Cell for the same reason- and it's worth noting that Cell isn't someone you'd underestimate on size. He's very tall.

In fact, Buu is possibly the worst example you could've cited when going for that point- the freakishly tall and also quite muscular Super Buu is the powerhouse of the Buus, dwarfing the power of the small scrawny Pure Buu.
Vegeta did scoff at Perfect Cell becoming smaller after his transformation though.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:52 pm

So Vegeta likes to mock short people? Tarble must be happy that he didn't grow up with Vegeta, Vegeta would bully he for being short AND weak. But seriously Vegeta can't really talk. Almost every tall character kicked his ass before.

goku1234
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by goku1234 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:10 pm

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 2:46 pm

I hope Vegito will kill Kid Buu before he blows up the Earth which is likely going to happen. It will be total BS if they make the special longer by having take place on the Kaioshin Planet.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Fri Aug 23, 2013 3:06 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I hope Vegito will kill Kid Buu before he blows up the Earth which is likely going to happen. It will be total BS if they make the special longer by having take place on the Kaioshin Planet.
Even more Bs if Super Vegetto could't stop the Planet from blowing up just like how Goku(SSJ3 could't).

dario03
Advanced Regular

Post by dario03 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 4:52 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I hope Vegito will kill Kid Buu before he blows up the Earth which is likely going to happen. It will be total BS if they make the special longer by having take place on the Kaioshin Planet.
Maybe Vegetto will use instant transmission or Kibito Kai will show up with instantaneous movement and Kid Buu will learn it. Then for like 30 pages Kid Buu will just start teleporting all over the place trying to blow up planets just to have Vegetto show up just in time to stop the planet buster but not soon enough to kill Buu before he teleports out again. And on the website during those pages they could have Yakety Sax playing in the background

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... kwqCCQ#t=4