Why was "Ultimate Tenkaichi" advertised as a game?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Why was "Ultimate Tenkaichi" advertised as a game?

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:01 am

Clearly it's not a game but more so of an Interactive Entertaiment product, for example there's Heavy Rain, The Last of Us, Asura's Wrath, L.A. Noire, Dragon's Lair and others which don't really focus on gameplay at all though for some reason they're still categorised as "games".

Ultimate Tenkaichi would have been excellent had it not been falsely advertised.

The only thing that this product was flawed (imo) is in its gameplay which was non-existent. I truly wanted to like it but that's just impossible to ask for a game.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ajay

Re: Why was "Ultimate Tenkaichi" advertised a game?

Post by Ajay » Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:10 am

I'm sorry but in what world doesn't The Last of Us 'focus on gameplay at all'?! That is just inherently incorrect.

And with your other points, you're just arguing what you regard as a game. I consider Dear Esther a game and yet it has literally no gameplay, you walk around an island whilst listening to a narrator as the story unravels through the environments. You have right click to zoom in and that's it. Despite that, it's still one of the most beautifully written games I've played in a very long time.

LA Noire, Asura's Wrath and Heavy Rain all have interactive elements and they're certainly games. They're just not games that fit into traditional genres, that doesn't make them any less of a game compared to any other product. You can drive and shoot in LA Noire, Asura's Wrath has hack n slash elements and Heavy Rain includes complex puzzle solving. They all have a hugely cinematic quality to them but they are games by very definition.

The same goes for Ultimate Tenkaichi, it's a game (a shitty one at that) but just because something relies on luck rather than reflex and skill for input doesn't suddenly mean it can't be regarded as a game.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

pandamix
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pandamix » Tue Sep 24, 2013 4:18 pm

There was gameplay, the only difference is that it wasn't a pure fighter. Just like L.A Noire have gameplay. You think it should be advertised as a movie to the PS3? I don't understand..

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:57 pm

pandamix wrote:There was gameplay, the only difference is that it wasn't a pure fighter. Just like L.A Noire have gameplay. You think it should be advertised as a movie to the PS3? I don't understand..
It's like football/basketball but without a ball, that's really not football/basketball at all, same goes for gameplay & play.

Today's games are becoming more interactive media as their gameplay is short to none and honestly, when a game fails to have actual gameplay it won't be any fun unless Naughty Dog, Telltale or someone that has the knowledge to make them highly interesting to watch.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:47 am

I don't understand what you mean. How is Ultimate Blast not a game...? :?
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:29 am

DoomieDoomie911 wrote:I don't understand what you mean. How is Ultimate Blast not a game...? :?
Apparently games involving luck and chance are not actually games according to dbboxkaifan.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:38 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
DoomieDoomie911 wrote:I don't understand what you mean. How is Ultimate Blast not a game...? :?
Apparently games involving luck and chance are not actually games according to dbboxkaifan.
You could basically play Ultimate Tenkaichi with a DVD remote if it had been released as such because for gameplay it doesn't exist.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Why was "Ultimate Tenkaichi" advertised as a game?

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:55 am

OK, but Dragon's Lair was a game.

Look, we all get it, and most of us even agree with you: Ultimate Tenkaichi was awful and a step back in nearly every direction gameplay-wise.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:01 am

It's a game. You may not like it, but that doesn't alter what it is. Complaining that these more cinematic style games aren't games is like complaining that an FPS isn't a game, because it's not a platformer. Games come in all shapes and sizes, all kinds of genres and styles, and cinematic is just one of the newer styles to emerge in recent years.

Edit
And I just thought of something more. It's not like cinematic is strictly new, either. In fact, Yu Yu Hakusho had two purely cinematic fighting games, with even less control of the action than UT way back on the SNES. Love those games.
Last edited by Xyex on Thu Sep 26, 2013 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

DoomieDoomie911
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by DoomieDoomie911 » Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:39 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
AjayLikesGaming wrote:
You could basically play Ultimate Tenkaichi with a DVD remote if it had been released as such because for gameplay it doesn't exist.
I see what you're saying, but that doesn't change the fact that it's still a video game.
Cipher wrote:Dragon Ball is the story of a kind-hearted, excitable child who uses the power of friendship to improve those around him as he grows into a dangerous obsessive who sometimes accidentally saves the world.
She/her (I have a Twitter account now.)

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:44 am

Xyex wrote:It's a game. You may not like it, but that doesn't alter what it is. Complaining that these more cinematic style games aren't games is like complaining that an FPS isn't a game, because it's not a platformer. Games come in all shapes and sizes, all kinds of genres and styles, and cinematic is just one of the newer styles to emerge in recent years.

Edit
And I just thought of something more. It's not like cinematic is strictly new, either. In fact, Yu Yu Hakusho had two purely cinematic fighting games, with even less control of the action than UT way back on the SNES. Love those games.
Erm, these were the best SNES games I ever played. Yu Yu Hakusho had amazing gameplay on these.

PhoenixEX
Regular

Post by PhoenixEX » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:39 pm

Stupid question is stupid.

We get it, the game sucked. Move on.
One World. 🌐 🕊

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:53 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Clearly it's not a game but more so of an Interactive Entertaiment product, for example there's Heavy Rain, The Last of Us, Asura's Wrath, L.A. Noire, Dragon's Lair and others which don't really focus on gameplay at all though for some reason they're still categorised as "games".
For some reason? Are you really not understanding why publishers choose to advertise these as games rather than "Interactive Entertainment products"? You do know what marketing and advertisement are about do you?