English in DB Songs

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

English in DB Songs

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Jun 06, 2006 11:35 am

I have a simple question with a (possibly) simple answer:

Why is there so much English littered about the songs in the Dragon Ball world? Especially Don't you see!, which has a whole verse in English.

When I got the ZARD single, her English sounded kinda forced when I listened a little harder. And she had the general "No 'l' 'r' distinction" thing going on, and she seemed to be struggling to not end words with a vowel sound.

And, in Boku-tachi wa Tenshi Datta (my favourite Dragon Ball song :D), Kageyama sings 3 English words in the song. Why just 3? Why not just say it in Japanese? Why not say "Dzuki [tame] waga [mai] miuchi [furenzu]"?

One last example I'd like to bring up is Blue Velvet (my favourite GT theme! :D), where there is just random English thrown in for seemingly absolutely no reason. Stuff like "jealousy", "no, no, no", "midnight", "loneliness, lonely night" and "I want you".

Absolutely random stuff. Why not "saigi [yakimochi, shitto, saigashin, okayaki]", "nain, nain, nain [hi, hi, hi, iya, iya, iya]", "mayonaka [yoruyonaka, hanshou, juuniji, shoushi]", "kodoku [sekiryou, ronrinesu], "sabishii [samishii, kokorobosai, wabishii, jakunen] yabun [yoru, naito], or "hon'in [warawa, watashi, watakushi, ore, ware, en] ketsobou tamae [omaesan, otaku, yu-, maro]"?

Hoping for some good imput!

P. S. Sorry for all the different Japanese readings, but I felt like it, and I had way too much free time. :)
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Ash
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ash » Tue Jun 06, 2006 2:29 pm

Japanese like to use random English everywhere, also in songs. You gotta listen to some '70's till mid 90's anime songs, there's random English everywhere.

(Or even completely English songs, like often used in City Hunter)
[i]"Rationality, that was it. No esoteric mumbo jumbo could fool that fellow. Lord, no! His two feet were planted solidly on God's good earth"[/i] - The Lamp of God, Ellery Queen

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:37 pm

Yeah, it's all over the place in songs. A lot of them are also fully-English, as Ash said, and usually performed exclusively by a native-English speaker. I have a Japanese CD of music based on a Famicom game that was never released in the U.S. (called "Mother", if you've heard of it), and it's entirely English-speaking (even the liner notes!), and most of the songs are performed by a British girl named Catherine Warwick. Of course, the lyrics sound incredibly cheesy to a native speaker of English, but nonetheless, I love this CD to death.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:57 pm

Thanks for both your help guys, I appreciate it.

Has anyone heard the English Cha-La Head Cha-La remix? I personally think Kageyama's English is pretty good.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

Tatsunoboshi Horoko
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatsunoboshi Horoko » Tue Jun 06, 2006 6:09 pm

Sometimes, most of these lyricial additions, while nonsensical, also pick up a rhyming scheme. I believe in Boku-tachi Tenshi Datta, "To My Friends, senaka no, hane wa nakushita keredo" which makes the verse flow better (in my own opinion, of course.) Let me give you an example from another song completely non-Dragonball related from a fandom I'm a big part in:

Romaji:
I Ride, White Line no jou o Oh, Oh, Oh,
Sit down shinrai shiteru basho de Oh, Oh, Oh,
Mayo'tteru ma ni yukeru ze

My translation (artistic liberties granted):
I Ride, on the White Line and Oh, Oh, Oh,*
Sit down, in a place I trust and Oh, Oh, Oh,
We can go there while we figure things out,

The "Oh, Oh, Oh's" there make absouletely no sense (come to think about it, this particular song is one big grammatical nightmare @_@; )

But that's beside the point. Most of the time these random Engrish words are thrown in just because it makes them sound cool. Sometimes they actually make the scheme roll along better. Sometimes it's just random yodelling that can only be described as weird. :)

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jun 06, 2006 7:13 pm

In short, they think our stuff is cool just like we think their stuff is cool. Culture, language... the whole enchilada.

Mmmm... enchiladas...
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Jun 07, 2006 1:21 am

I find the best way that helps people understand it when I've answered that question is pointing out to them that it's the same way we use French or Spanish words in our speech. 8)
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:44 am

I'm used to shows with some English in it's music, but Bleach has two insert songs and they are fully English sung by native English speakers. Plus, the new opening theme is completely in English sung by Japanese.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Jun 08, 2006 2:49 am

Some artists are really good at it. Verbal of the group m-flo is bilingual, and if you listen to the band Fake's English-sung songs, you'd never guess they were Japanese.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Post by The Tori-bot » Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:33 pm

Well, this doesn't apply to Dragon Ball, but it does apply to the subject matter.

In the first Tenchi Muyo! TV series, the Japanese and English opening themes are both sung by a woman named Sonia. What nationality is she? She sounds like an American, so... y'know... Japanese came first... they get an American to do the opening theme... they get her for the English dub... did Pioneer have anything to do with the Japanese version?