Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

samuraix123
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Season One" Coming To Blu-Ray (Updated 11

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:20 am

I just got through reading all the negative comments on amazon about this new release and all I can say is ''Wow'' people sure do go through a lot of trouble to bash something to death on the internet don't they? I mean, I hate the fact that it's cropped 16x9 but I don't remember seeing everyone in such a pickle about the Japanese DVDs/Blu-rays of Kai being cropped? The way I look at it, this is what a-lot of the fans voted for and it's exactly what Funimation is going to deliver. I won't put the blame on them for releasing something that the majority of fans wanted. But I was hoping at the time the Dragonball Dragon-boxes was going to be the winner but... :P
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:50 am

sangofe wrote:
Big Momma wrote:If that survey is any indication, FUNi are just releasing what the majority of the fanbase wants...so if these do poorly, they probably would be more hesitant to take fan input later on.
Which one?
So, where has the results from the survey been posted?

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:53 am

samuraix123 wrote:I just got through reading all the negative comments on amazon about this new release and all I can say is ''Wow'' people sure do go through a lot of trouble to bash something to death on the internet don't they? I mean, I hate the fact that it's cropped 16x9 but I don't remember seeing everyone in such a pickle about the Japanese DVDs/Blu-rays of Kai being cropped? The way I look at it, this is what a-lot of the fans voted for and it's exactly what Funimation is going to deliver. I won't put the blame on them for releasing something that the majority of fans wanted. But I was hoping at the time the Dragonball Dragon-boxes was going to be the winner but... :P
1. What you mean by "a lot of trouble"?
2. Many people do not believe that the fans wanted 16:9 - they have right to think so. Cropping is just one issue. Everything else is another.

Are you forbidding people to express their opinions? Are you forbidding them to have knowledge and use it? This is not bashing. This is just analyzing the facts.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:18 am

samuraix123 wrote:I just got through reading all the negative comments on amazon about this new release and all I can say is ''Wow'' people sure do go through a lot of trouble to bash something to death on the internet don't they? I mean, I hate the fact that it's cropped 16x9 but I don't remember seeing everyone in such a pickle about the Japanese DVDs/Blu-rays of Kai being cropped? The way I look at it, this is what a-lot of the fans voted for and it's exactly what Funimation is going to deliver. I won't put the blame on them for releasing something that the majority of fans wanted. But I was hoping at the time the Dragonball Dragon-boxes was going to be the winner but... :P
The thing about Kai when it comes to cropping is the fact that it was Toei that was doing the cropping instead of a licensing company like FUNimation, that coupled with the fact that Kai was intended to be its own product to begin with, it would make sense that fans wouldn't be complaining about the Japanese Kai DVD/Blu-rays.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:32 am

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
1. What you mean by "a lot of trouble"?
2. Many people do not believe that the fans wanted 16:9 - they have right to think so. Cropping is just one issue. Everything else is another.

Are you forbidding people to express their opinions? Are you forbidding them to have knowledge and use it? This is not bashing. This is just analyzing the facts.
I mean that they are wasting their time with the spamming of ''Funimation ruins dbz yet again!'' comments.
I honestly wish as much as people bash Funimation they'd stop releasing Dragonball products. Why release something when you know you're just going to be hated for releasing it? and why wouldn't people here believe fans didn't want the 16x9 Blu-ray release? the orange bricks are and still are selling awesome so would the blu-rays be different? we here at kanzenshuu are a very small minority of the fanbase. Just go to Youtube and other sites where the fans praise the US broadcast score and dub or heck even outside of the internet and talk with someone about the series and watch them go ''It's over 9000!'' :P while a-lot here look down on it.
But why wasn't the Japanese release of Kai's 16x9 cropping slammed? do we now give it a pass? Believe me, I hate cropping of any kind just as much as everyone here but I just don't see the point in people going ape on the comments section of amazon. this release just simply isn't marketed to us unfortunately.

Edit - so superrayman3 it's okay for a company like Toei to ruin a show by cropping and changing the original aspect on it(When Funimation released the correct 4x3 version) but if Funimation does it, it's bad? and how does it make sense that fans wouldn't complain about Toei not cropping the show? I'm not defending this release I'm just saying that I find it very sad the way people go about the complaining.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:43 am

sangofe wrote:
sangofe wrote:
Big Momma wrote:If that survey is any indication, FUNi are just releasing what the majority of the fanbase wants...so if these do poorly, they probably would be more hesitant to take fan input later on.
Which one?
So, where has the results from the survey been posted?

I don't think they were ever posted.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:51 am

I think my main point that I'm trying to make is, All this hate that's being directed at Funimation for this release shouldn't exist. if anything the hate should be at the fans that wanted something cropped and oversaturated and stretched to fit their TVs. As far as I'm concerned, Funimation has went above and beyond getting us our favorite series in every which way shape and form. is it oversaturating the market? kinda. but do we all continue to support it? Yup! :P
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:16 pm

samuraix123 wrote:I mean that they are wasting their time with the spamming of ''Funimation ruins dbz yet again!'' comments.
I honestly wish as much as people bash Funimation they'd stop releasing Dragonball products. Why release something when you know you're just going to be hated for releasing it? and why wouldn't people here believe fans didn't want the 16x9 Blu-ray release? the orange bricks are and still are selling awesome so would the blu-rays be different? we here at kanzenshuu are a very small minority of the fanbase. Just go to Youtube and other sites where the fans praise the US broadcast score and dub or heck even outside of the internet and talk with someone about the series and watch them go ''It's over 9000!'' :P while a-lot here look down on it.
But why wasn't the Japanese release of Kai's 16x9 cropping slammed? do we now give it a pass? Believe me, I hate cropping of any kind just as much as everyone here but I just don't see the point in people going ape on the comments section of amazon. this release just simply isn't marketed to us unfortunately.
Maybe they aren't considering this time as wasted :) FUNimation is not "hated"* for releasing Dragon Ball. This release is "hated"* for being crappy (I guess). Some people believe that garbage should be called garbage (including me). I don't understand why you have problem with that :) We are salves of mass market. Speaking our opinion is the only thing that's left for us.

Kai was also released in 4:3. If OAR version is available, they can make 10 other releases in 1.85:1 and 2.39:1 and it will be no problem for me.

* - before you will call them haters, make sure that their opinions aren't based on facts.

superrayman3
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by superrayman3 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:39 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Edit - so superrayman3 it's okay for a company like Toei to ruin a show by cropping and changing the original aspect on it(When Funimation released the correct 4x3 version) but if Funimation does it, it's bad? and how does it make sense that fans wouldn't complain about Toei not cropping the show? I'm not defending this release I'm just saying that I find it very sad the way people go about the complaining.
When the company that produced the original DB/Z/GT anime's to begin with (in this case Toei) are the ones doing something like cropping, then it's more acceptable than it is when a licensing and distribution company like FUNimation does cropping, also you have to keep in mind that Kai was meant to be in HD so Toei did the logical thing and modified the series to conform to HD standards and at least they gave fans a 4:3 version of Kai as well as a 16:9 option, if I had to choose between Toei cropping the series and FUNimation cropping the series I'd choose Toei since they're the ones that animated the series and have every right to modify the footage however they want.
If anyone has any of the DB/DBZ/DBGT or Maho Tsuaki Sally Japanese single DVD's that they'd be interested in selling send me a PM and I'll see if we can work something out. ;).

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 12:57 pm

samuraix123 wrote: I mean that they are wasting their time with the spamming of ''Funimation ruins dbz yet again!'' comments.

Edit - so superrayman3 it's okay for a company like Toei to ruin a show by cropping and changing the original aspect on it(When Funimation released the correct 4x3 version) but if Funimation does it, it's bad? and how does it make sense that fans wouldn't complain about Toei not cropping the show? I'm not defending this release I'm just saying that I find it very sad the way people go about the complaining.
I completely agree. I mean, At least Funimation are trying to release DBZ in BR.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:15 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I mean, At least Funimation are trying to release DBZ in BR.
What is the value of BD when its quality is way below DVD?

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:20 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I mean, At least Funimation are trying to release DBZ in BR.
What is the value of BD when its quality is way below DVD?
Well that's just down to opinion. I think they look great.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 1:22 pm

One thing I'm going to do before I even buy the first season is wait until someone is willing to risk buying it and reviewing it. I know this time(Unlike when I bought the orange bricks) that these will be cropped and the colors brightened up. but I want to know if it will be as bad as the orange bricks. because seeing that Bulma picture so bleached out is just sick! and If the lines of animation disappear like they do in the orange bricks than I will probably pass. but this set can't be worse can it? :P
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:08 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Well that's just down to opinion.
I'm afraid that this is technical fact.
Baggie_Saiyan wrote:I think they look great.
Would you be happy with them if you would think that they look like a piece of crap? :)

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Nov 17, 2013 2:32 pm

samuraix123 wrote: I mean that they are wasting their time with the spamming of ''Funimation ruins dbz yet again!'' comments.

Kai was slammed for being 16:9. Not that it even matters because one has actual animators cleaning up and reframing the picture and the other is just jettisoning 20% of the footage and blowing it up to a bigger size.

I don't see any value in being an apologist to a company or corporation. If they want my money, they had better do their jobs correctly. FUNimation's orange brick trailers heavily promoted the widescreen and remastering process, and naturally the people who don't know any better ate it up and defend it. If you repeat something enough times it starts to sound true. The untouched footage from these DVD sets thrown in a cheap box would've sold the same as Orange Brick Season 1.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sun Nov 17, 2013 4:47 pm

The fans aren't to blame. FUNimation should not be taking advice from ignorant people on how to present DBZ. We can't even say with any certainty, though, that this is what fans want. For one thing, we don't know the results of the poll, so we don't know if widescreen was the more popular choice. However, if it was, there's a difference between wanting widescreen and wanting DVNR overuse along with oversaturated colors. If the Level remastering isn't viable, that doesn't mean they need to do the second version of orange bricks. As Mike and the gang said on the podcast years ago, FUNimation forces their widescreen faux-remaster down your throat by making it the only way to buy the series. At least with Toei's Kai release, they had just released Dragon Boxes prior to its debut. They never tried to make the original fullscreen Z anime unavailable. There was also care and attention put into the Kai cropping so that the least important visuals would be lopped off. We've yet to see such a thing from FUNimation. People are being negative to try and dissuade consumers from buying this so that the people at FUNimation can get it through their thick heads that this isn't acceptable. Maybe it's an exercise in futility, but it's the only thing that helps us to not feel completely powerless.
samuraix123 wrote:so superrayman3 it's okay for a company like Toei to ruin a show by cropping and changing the original aspect on it
This isn't even about the cropping at this point. Sure, cropping is bad, but the remastering on these new Blu-Rays is terrible.
samuraix123 wrote:(When Funimation released the correct 4x3 version) but if Funimation does it, it's bad?
FUNimation put out the Dragon Boxes when the market was oversaturated in DB releases and they never explicitly stated that the sets would be limited edition items. I won't give them any pats on the back for that.
samuraix123 wrote:I honestly wish as much as people bash Funimation they'd stop releasing Dragonball products.
I wish they'd stop rereleasing the TV series too if these pitiful attempts are the best they can afford.
Last edited by KingofWisdom on Sun Nov 17, 2013 9:18 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:42 pm

Only the Japanese DVDs were cropped. Toei offered a 4x3 option with the Blu-rays. So... not the same thing at all.
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:11 pm

It's not the same at all. Not because one is Japanese and one is English. Not because one is the company that made DBZ and the other is just a foreign distributor. It's not the same because Dragon Ball Kai is a totally separate product. It's NOT Dragon Ball Z. It never was. It never will be. It's not trying to be. No one's slapping a DBZ label on Dragon Ball Kai DVDs hoping people won't be able to tell the difference. Since Dragon Ball Kai was a new, standalone product, they could do whatever the hell they wanted with it, and it doesn't affect DBZ in any way, shape, or form.

And even though, in that case, I would have been perfectly fine if they'd 16:9'd it across the board, there was at least *something* of a simultaneous alternative option for those who disagree.

But this is Dragon Ball Z. And they're ruining it. So, yeah... negative reviews.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

doomydoomydoom
Beyond Newbie
Location: Meditating in front of a waterfall, listening to Gohan and his dragon's whistling New Wave crap...

Post by doomydoomydoom » Sun Nov 17, 2013 10:31 pm

I think the point he's trying to make with the "bashing reviews" is because of crap like this:

1.0 out of 5 stars Only Nostalgia-Tards Would Buy This, November 12, 2013
By
Manga King - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Season 1 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
DBZ is dead, people.
Stop buying the same episodes over and over again.
I have my orange bricks, and I'm very happy with them and so are many other fans.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment (1)

I mean, REALLY? REALLY? There's just no excuse for that kind of crap, if you don't even have a problem with the Orange Bricks then why are you complaining about this? And furthermore, DBZ is dead? Any other release is only for "nostalgia-tards?" I just...ugh.

As for the comparisons to Kai, Gaffer said it all.
Auric Goldfinger wrote:
James Bond wrote:Do you expect me to talk?

No, Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!
I tought dat when I beat dis monkee, I was goin to da Urf, but it caused me a trouble. WE ARE DA ONE WHO WILL CAUSE DA TROUBLE. But if I don't eat rice, da powah won't come. So DON'T SAY SUCH A SILLY TING! OHKAY? And let that child alone.

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:08 pm

doomydoomydoom wrote:I think the point he's trying to make with the "bashing reviews" is because of crap like this:

1.0 out of 5 stars Only Nostalgia-Tards Would Buy This, November 12, 2013
By
Manga King - See all my reviews
This review is from: Dragon Ball Z: Season 1 [Blu-ray] (Blu-ray)
DBZ is dead, people.
Stop buying the same episodes over and over again.
I have my orange bricks, and I'm very happy with them and so are many other fans.
Help other customers find the most helpful reviews
Was this review helpful to you? Yes No
Report abuse | Permalink
Comment Comment (1)

I mean, REALLY? REALLY? There's just no excuse for that kind of crap, if you don't even have a problem with the Orange Bricks then why are you complaining about this? And furthermore, DBZ is dead? Any other release is only for "nostalgia-tards?" I just...ugh.

As for the comparisons to Kai, Gaffer said it all.
Lol. *Bashes Blu-Rays, happy with Orange Bricks*, blasphemy. Although, I think he's just trying to be a part of the vocal crowd + justify his purchase.
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.