That one defining moment.

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Re: That one defining moment.

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:00 pm

I remember that I watched a few episodes of the Cell saga when I was a kid, and I clearly remember four moments:

*The reporter announcing how Ginger Town looked deserted with clothes all over the place.
*Bulma and Trunks discovering another time machine.
*Piccolo and Kami fusing.
*Cell absorbing a man right in front of Piccolo.

Why was it defining for me? Because the last scene I mentioned creeped me out so much that I had a nightmare about Cell that night, and vowed never to watch that show again. I think that I kept my promise for ten years.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Jord
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Jord » Tue Nov 19, 2013 4:17 pm

This may be cheating but for me there were 2 moments.

The first was Yamcha's death. I wasn't used to people dying in 'cartoons'. Sure, Goku died but that one was brushed aside in 5 minutes bij saying he will be revived. When I first saw Nappa I figured he would become the stereotype of a big, dumb, but ultimately good guy. I also figured that it would be a hard battle but everyone would survive, with maybe a few people knocked out in order to heighten the drama. When Yamcha died, all bets were off.

The 2nd moment was when I visited a DBZ site, may have been DBZOA. What I do know however was that it had one of those flaky music download pages. Once there, I happen to stumble upon a song called Spirit vs Spirit. When I listened to it, I instantly fell in love with it and the song made it clear to me that it is my destiny to become a musician. Since then I've been to Tokyo and bought the Dragon World double cd so I have a legal version of the song. It's incredibly powerfull, yet soothing. Mr. Kageyama's singing makes it sound fantastic, even if I didn't understand a bit when I first listened.

Sshadow5001
Advanced Regular

Post by Sshadow5001 » Tue Nov 19, 2013 5:31 pm

I knew the moment I started watching. This was different from all other cartoons on TV. I felt the same thing when I watched Laputa (Castle in the Sky) on TV (Old dub) years prior. it was just so different.
Please check out my Youtube channel GLEclipseGaming
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8otmN ... FvDYiaKt9w

Currently Playing
Gundam Breaker 3

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Tue Nov 19, 2013 7:05 pm

The first episode of Z was the first thing I'd ever seen of the franchise, and I had never heard of it beforehand. I was immediately hooked, because it was the most violent cartoon I had seen :lol: (my mother was really overprotective and tried to shelter me from anything even slightly violent).
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!