Any personalized roles in the dub

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Super Sonic
Born 'n Bred Here

Any personalized roles in the dub

Post by Super Sonic » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:35 am

Would any of you guys say that any of the dub actors personalized their roles? What I mean is if the actor/actress truly embraced the role and made it his or her own to the point where although the character is the same as he or she was in the Japanese version, you consider them almost like they are two different people?

Kay
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kay » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:52 am

I wouldn't think they're different. As long as they're themselves.

LegendarySSJ7
Not-So-Newbie

Post by LegendarySSJ7 » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:59 am

Well, Chris Rager as Mr. Satan was nigh identical to his Japanese Seiyuu counterpart, except he sounded less strained and more so care-free.

Ian Corlett also did a nearly flawless interperetation of Goku's Japanese Seiyuu, and Peter Kelamis wasn't too bad (and by "wasn't too bad", I am referring to the whole "Southern accent" issue, of course).
Last edited by LegendarySSJ7 on Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:06 am, edited 4 times in total.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:29 am

Well I still prefer Takeshi Kusao's interpretation of Trunks, but I always felt that Eric Vale did a good job of Trunks for the dub. Although at times he made the character a little too harsh, I think he was pretty much a good English counterpart to Kusao.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Castor Troy
I Live Here

Post by Castor Troy » Tue Jun 27, 2006 1:35 am

The new FUNi Dodoria sounds more like the japanese one than the Ocean one did.

masenko
Beyond Newbie

Post by masenko » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:08 am

Schemmel's Goku is completely more mature and older sounding than the Japanese VA. I would have to say that this is one of the more drastic changes. When I show the Japanese versions to my friends, they all say Goku sounds like a bitch...no pun intended.
"I GOTTA GAMBLE EVERYTHING I GOT ON THIS ONE FIST!!!!" - Son Goku, Tale 160

Vhanos
Beyond Newbie

Post by Vhanos » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:14 am

The super Buu voices sound fitting to me in the dub.

Majin Cell
Not-So-Newbie
Location: I don't know where this place is but it sure is wierd.

Post by Majin Cell » Tue Jun 27, 2006 4:18 am

I think Dameon Clark was great as Cell. I like how he gave each form of Cell a distinctive voice. The first form had a raspy and sneaky sounding tone, the second form had a much deeper angry voice (which was good because that form of Cell was easily angered) and finally i like the third form voice best because in that form he gave Cell an arrogant and commanding voice. Overall i think he did a great job of creating his own version of Cell.
It is impossible to improve upon perfection.

Sebastian (SB)
Advanced Regular

Post by Sebastian (SB) » Tue Jun 27, 2006 12:28 pm

masenko wrote:Schemmel's Goku is completely more mature and older sounding than the Japanese VA. I would have to say that this is one of the more drastic changes. When I show the Japanese versions to my friends, they all say Goku sounds like a bitch...no pun intended.
I agree, he did make Son Goku his own character up to the point where it was completely different to his Japanese counterpart, not only speech-wise (though some can argue that's the writer's fault), but voice-wise & character-wise. It was indeed a completely different Goku.

MyVisionity
Banned

Post by MyVisionity » Tue Jun 27, 2006 3:30 pm

As stated previously, Sean Schemmel did an excellent job making his Goku character far different from the original; although it did sound kind of forced in Season 3, it was perfect by the end. I also think Chris Sabat had somewhat similar success with his Vegeta.

I also liked the energy that was put into Captain Ginyu and Jeice's voices. FUNi's Ginyu really comes across as a raging lunatic and it makes me laugh every time. Then there's Chuck Huber, who always brings such vitality to all of his characters. He really made #17 memorable in my opinion.

HP
Beyond Newbie

Post by HP » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:49 pm

That so much happen in my local dub, "personalized roles"!
Although, not a bad thing, I consider. :D
beareyes [img]http://image1.beareyes.com.cn/joytlun/img/238.gif[/img]