Is the Kenji Yamamoto score worth it?

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Is the Kenji Yamamoto score worth it?

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:58 pm

I was just curious if people here think the Yamamoto score in Kai is worth the extra price. How does it compare to his Budokai series and Raging Blast 2 music? I'm a guy who really enjoys Yamamoto's work in the games. I also like Faulconer and Levy but I'm not a massive fan of Kikuchi's Z work but I do love his DB work. I guess I have very specific tastes. Do you think the Yamamoto Kai score would appeal to me? I've read lots of mixed opinions about his Kai score online. Some say it's epic while others say it's repetitive and lacks variety. I can't help but feel interested in it as it was the way Kai was intended to be experienced before they had to do a rush job on the Kikuchi replacement music. I've even seen some compare it to Faulconer although I don't really see it based on the few Youtube clips I've seen. Basically what I'm asking is does it really improve the show to the point that it justifies spending so much on it?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Re: Is the Kenji Yamamoto score worth it?

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:40 pm

Go just go and play some of his scores and see

Yes. It is. I see people who hate the original score but prefer Bruce F. say this is their favorite or second favorite. Many like you(In terms of opinions btw) think the score is great and that it fits the series.

So yes.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Mon Dec 09, 2013 10:52 pm

I'm lucky enough to have all the episodes broadcast with Yamamoto's score and I have to say, it's absolutely worth it.

I find it very hard to watch Kai with the Kikuchi replacement now.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:00 pm

It's a more modern sounding OST than Kikuchi or even Faulconer, but I rather enjoy it, especially the post-Freeza music. I appreciate the insert songs, as well.

Music however is one of the most subjective mediums in existence, so none of us can really tell you better than your own ears.

Roland_ELoG
Beyond Newbie

Post by Roland_ELoG » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:11 pm

If you feel comfortable supporting PLAGIARISM! Then go ahead. ;)
A YouTube channel with no AMVs on it? I know, it's hard to believe.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:24 pm

Roland_ELoG wrote:If you feel comfortable supporting PLAGIARISM! Then go ahead. ;)
Didn't Bruce steal the Boo theme?

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:20 am

No, that song was not stolen...although Scott Morgan's Grand Kai theme was, reportedly, pretty heavily ripped from another song.
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

Fulicer
Beyond Newbie

Post by Fulicer » Tue Dec 10, 2013 12:21 am

TheGmGoken wrote:
Roland_ELoG wrote:If you feel comfortable supporting PLAGIARISM! Then go ahead. ;)
Didn't Bruce steal the Boo theme?
I think Yamamoto may have stolen more tracks -- seems to hold a record here for plagiarism. Even the great Battle Power Unlimited...*shakes head*

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:10 am

It's the originally intended music and the one that had its tunes created for the episodes, whereas the lame replacement is just a rushed job with a very small amount of tracks from the DBZ score.

I love Kikuchi music but in Kai it's just awful, though it's not Shunsuke's fault at all anyway.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:18 am

It's purely a matter of taste - but for your collection and the sake of future rarity, there's an argument for picking up the Yamamoto score episodes.

Personally, I find Yamamoto's score to be equal measures of overblown and underwhelming. It has the slick production quality of something that has clearly been well budgeted, but I prefer the remastered Kikuchi tracks. Yamamoto's score mostly goes over my head to begin with during a series re-watch, but by the time Freeza appears it really grates on me.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:41 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:I'm lucky enough to have all the episodes broadcast with Yamamoto's score and I have to say, it's absolutely worth it.

I find it very hard to watch Kai with the Kikuchi replacement now.
Too bad the last two episodes were never scored with it.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:57 am

Yeah, it absolutely kills the completionist side of me :(
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:03 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Yeah, it absolutely kills the completionist side of me :(
I'm surprised that fans haven't done versions of those two episodes!
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:19 am

Blade wrote:
:lol: . Yes they have. Some people use "The Lone Warrior" for Trunks killing Cell. Some have full episodes(Up for download. Won't link though) with a original score(Kenji Yamamoto)

Fionordequester wrote:No, that song was not stolen...although Scott Morgan's Grand Kai theme was, reportedly, pretty heavily ripped from another song.
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=10410(Topic about how the song sound a like)
DBZGokuSaiyan wrote:Hey guys. Firstly, I apologize for the acronym... For those not in the know, S.O.A.D. is System of a Down, an American nu-metal band that's been around since the '90s. I don't know if this has been brought up in the past... do delete if it has been... but I wanted to know... why do these two songs sound almost identical? I first discovered this when one of my closest friends told me about it back in '04. I believe that most of you might have heard of this somewhere, as well. Also of note is that "Marmalade" by System of a Down was recorded in the late '90s... (1997, I believe)

Here's a video demonstrating the resemblance between the two musical compositions:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6AoH6wgqO5o

My theories are that:

1. Bruce Faulconer asked permission from S.O.A.D. to create a variant of "Marmalade" for use in the FUNimation dub of Dragon Ball Z.

2. Bruce Faulconer "stole" bits of the melody from "Marmalade"...

3. Just a coincidence.

I thought it would be interesting to bring up. It would be cool if Scott Morgan would be kind enough to resolve this, since he used to work for Bruce Faulconer. (If Scott Morgan quit composing before the series ended its airing in America, then I deeply apologize for the confusion.)
Oolong215 wrote:Holy crap, they sound really so similar! That's crazy!
cRookie_Monster wrote:
omegacwa wrote:Personally I believe they are far to similar to be "just a coincidence". But it is a cool find for sure.
I've heard some pretty strikingly similar tracks that I know were by chance....some of them I wrote myself and later heard stuff that sounded exactly the same to my dismay... Sometimes its just a matter of who gets published\known first rather than who invented what.

So maybe he didn't steal it. But he sure in hell was inspired by it.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 11:19 am

TheGmGoken wrote:
Blade wrote:
:lol: . Yes they have. Some people use "The Lone Warrior" for Trunks killing Cell. Some have full episodes(Up for download. Won't link though) with a original score(Kenji Yamamoto)
The former is my video: http://youtu.be/lu4efVm-Zkc

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:48 pm

Blade wrote:It's purely a matter of taste - but for your collection and the sake of future rarity, there's an argument for picking up the Yamamoto score episodes.

Personally, I find Yamamoto's score to be equal measures of overblown and underwhelming. It has the slick production quality of something that has clearly been well budgeted, but I prefer the remastered Kikuchi tracks. Yamamoto's score mostly goes over my head to begin with during a series re-watch, but by the time Freeza appears it really grates on me.
The Kikuchi tracks in Kai sounded better than from Dragon Box's audio quality but that's due to the muffled noise it has otherwise it wouldn't really be any different, and it's not remastered they just specifically picked the ones that were in stereo.

For remastered Kikuchi tracks this is what it sounds like, and modernised - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSuigl0vlxY

If they had used the synthesised Kikuchi tracks as the replacement, I would've loved it but unfortunately they didn't and it's one big fuck up. Thanks Toei Animation.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Fionordequester
I Live Here

Post by Fionordequester » Tue Dec 10, 2013 1:48 pm

To get back to GmGokuden, personally, I don't think it's plagiarizing if you just take some instruments and progressions from a song, and then make it your own thing. If that were the case, it seems to me that you might just as well call this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Z9ajd3UFTU

A rip off of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhbdpBCnVh8

Cuz you know, the tempo is different, and of course the background instruments are different, but the main melody is still pretty similar. And while the Super Buu theme and that other one linked are a LITTLE more similar than that...it's really only one progression that they share. Otherwise, they're entirely different songs.

EDIT: Or how about 1:48 of this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFwchRiGsqA

And 2:27 of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=daYbUkilYY8
Kataphrut wrote:It's a bit of a Boy Who Cried Wolf situation to me...Basically, the boy shouldn't have cried wolf when the wolves just wanted to Go See Yamcha. If not, they might have gotten some help when the wolves came back to Make the Donuts.
Chuquita wrote:I liken Gokû Black to "guy can't stand his job, so instead of quitting and finding a job he likes, he instead sets fire not only to his workplace so he doesn't have to work there, but tries setting fire to every store in the franchise of that company".

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 2:49 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:For remastered Kikuchi tracks this is what it sounds like, and modernised - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sSuigl0vlxY
Remastering means enhancing the quality of something old. That's a remake instead. It's the same as why you don't consider Ultimate Tenkaichi's cutscenes as remasters.

Also, technically speaking, the Kikuchi tracks used for Kai are all from 3 disc set DBZ BGM Collection, which means that they're all remastered.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Tue Dec 10, 2013 7:21 pm

Ill take the Yamamoto score over any other score for DBZ. I find it better than Kikuchi and Faulconer by far. I personally dont give a damn about the whole plagiarism scandal, I liked his score and thats all there is to it for me.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

G1GACANN0N
Not-So-Newbie

Post by G1GACANN0N » Tue Dec 10, 2013 9:58 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Blade wrote: If they had used the synthesised Kikuchi tracks as the replacement, I would've loved it but unfortunately they didn't and it's one big fuck up. Thanks Toei Animation.
Ew.

I'm pretty sure the Kikuchi tracks used in Kai were remastered in some way, they sound perfect in lossless on Blu-ray. There are some glaring emmisions though, like M1311. They used damn near every track off Return of Cooler except that one, which was arguably the best besides M1308.

I do wish they would've used more Kikuchi in Kai to this point, and continued to use Kikuchi in Buu Kai (with one or two BGM's already used in Kai per episode + the rest new Kikuchi).