How end of Z base Goku can be equal to buu saga ssj3 Goku

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kaboom

Re: How end of Z base Goku can be equal to buu saga ssj3 Gok

Post by Kaboom » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:02 am

I still think taking it to mean "everyone's gotten as strong as they possibly ever will" is unnecessarily extreme. Toriyama doesn't explicitly say that. His quote can be simply taken to mean "the strongest they were ever shown during the manga." As opposed to weaker before the Boo arc, or of unknown strength after the manga's epilogue.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Tue Jan 14, 2014 1:29 am

Well stronger than they were ever shown in the manga is still BoG > EOZ

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:23 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:
Umm, I don't know what you're getting at. He does become stronger than he was in the Buu Saga; just not by much, and his gains more or less max out at BOG, approximately the half-way point of the training. From there, it's just maintenance.

My point is, Toriyama says one thing and in the manga or BoG we see different things.

You pointed out : " However, I don't think he can get stronger, since Toriyama implied age was taking its toll on Goku ".

Yes Toriyama said that but we never heard Goku or Vegeta telling that they are getting old or that they can not be stronger ( after BoG ) and so they will train just for maintenance. We have for a fact than they can become stronger because Goku said that. They are at their prime because Vegeta pointed out in BoG. You think after 5 years suddenly they became old? Oh no! And we have Goku younger than Vegeta.
Do we see EOZ Goku demonstrate strength superior to BOG Goku?
Clearly not but Goku said he would become stronger to fight the reincarnation of Oob and that is enough to confirm to me that Goku could have gained enough power in those 10 years to defeat Oob without much trouble. BoG came later and is in the middle of the 10 years gap.

End of Boo Saga we have Kakarotto pointed out he will return stronger to fight Oob. We have BoG Goku stronger and Oob has not appeared yet. 5 more years to train and Oob appear. It's time for Goku to show his powers after training hard for 10 years. Kakarotto ( without using his full power ) test Oob and is what he expected. Goku decides to train him and when flying with him, Goku says they will become more stronger. Those are facts for me!!

Do wee see BoG Kakarotto ( without God powers obviously ) demonstrate strength superior to EoZ Goku? No!

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:39 am

He said he would try to get strong enough to fight Buu in a fair 1v1 match. Things don't always work out the exact way you want them to do they?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:07 am

Kaboom wrote:I still think taking it to mean "everyone's gotten as strong as they possibly ever will" is unnecessarily extreme. Toriyama doesn't explicitly say that. His quote can be simply taken to mean "the strongest they were ever shown during the manga." As opposed to weaker before the Boo arc, or of unknown strength after the manga's epilogue.
That's what RandomGuy69 has been saying. If Goku is at the maximum in Boo arc/BoG, then by the 28th TB arc, he must be either weaker or as strong as he was.

Personally, I believe everyone but Gohan (minus his Ultimate state), Goten, and Trunks have reached their limit by the end of the series, but reaching the limit doesn't mean that they can't get stronger at all. It's just that Goku, for example, would jump from 6 to 10 in a year before reaching his limit, but now he will go from 6 to 7 in 5 years.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:34 am

Battle of Gods was made after the manga concluded but the manga concludes after Battle of Gods.
It's not too late. One day, it will be.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!
Peace and Power Kevin Samuels

Son_Gohan
Advanced Regular

Post by Son_Gohan » Tue Jan 14, 2014 12:46 pm

Kaboom wrote:I still think taking it to mean "everyone's gotten as strong as they possibly ever will" is unnecessarily extreme. Toriyama doesn't explicitly say that. His quote can be simply taken to mean "the strongest they were ever shown during the manga." As opposed to weaker before the Boo arc, or of unknown strength after the manga's epilogue.
There is a statement of his that more strongly indicates it was what he had in mind:
Akira Toriyama wrote:The key words this time, “God of Destruction Beerus” and “Super Saiyan God”, were suggestions from the scriptwriter, but they were good ideas for presenting a crisis for the main characters, who had grown so strong that they’d reached a point where there was nothing higher.
Saying everyone has gotten as strong as they possibly ever will obviously couldn't hold true when they are shown to become stronger in BoG. If the movie tells us anything about acquiring strength at that point, is that it has to be due to external factors; not within their own capacities to attain.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:13 pm

Who are the "main characters"?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:23 pm

hleV wrote:Who are the "main characters"?
The Z-Senshi?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:18 pm

All this is proving is that majority if not all the promotional material quotes are bullshit.

Beerus isnt the strongest person in Z, Whis is. Though at the very least Beerus is more powerful than SSJ Vegetto.

Everyone isnt at "Maximum Strength" because Goten and Trunks can train if they want to, Vegeta gets a rage boost and Goku keeps some of the God power up. Though personally I don't think there is an absolute maximum for the Z fighters anyway.

Not all of the Z cast is "past their prime" after the Boo arc. Vegeta states that he and Goku are still in their prime five or six years after Battle of Gods takes place. In the character Panel for the "10 Years Later" chapter it has Piccolo showing no signs of old age either so he's still in his prime as well.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:58 pm

That's what RandomGuy69 has been saying. If Goku is at the maximum in Boo arc/BoG, then by the 28th TB arc, he must be either weaker or as strong as he was.

Personally, I believe everyone but Gohan (minus his Ultimate state), Goten, and Trunks have reached their limit by the end of the series, but reaching the limit doesn't mean that they can't get stronger at all. It's just that Goku, for example, would jump from 6 to 10 in a year before reaching his limit, but now he will go from 6 to 7 in 5 years.
It's 96, not 69. I'm not that immature. :p

Anyway, yeah, that's what I've been saying. Looking at the line in context, it seems he's referring to a portion of the manga's story line, rather than anything after it. So, at the very least, EoZ Goku = BoG Goku. However, I choose to interpret his quote, when taken with other quotes and the implications of the "everyone is too old" statement, that BOG Goku is the maximum of Goku's base strength- he'll never get any stronger before he dies. He might just get weaker.
Everyone isnt at "Maximum Strength" because Goten and Trunks can train if they want to, Vegeta gets a rage boost and Goku keeps some of the God power up. Though personally I don't think there is an absolute maximum for the Z fighters anyway.
Goten and Trunks would still be at maximum strength, the highest strength they'll ever have in their lives, because they probably never train ever.

Vegeta and Goku both get stronger IN the movie, but the context of the line was Toriyama wondering when to set the movie. He said he set it 5 years before the end rather than at the end, because everyone would be at maximum strength five years before. And those aren't exactly 'promotional quotes', those are comments on the original work from the writer of the manga himself.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:07 pm

This is how I interpret "the main characters, who had grown so strong that they’d reached a point where there was nothing higher":
Even though AT is talking about the "main characters" and says that "they'd reached a point where there's nothing higher", he means that one of the main characters has reached a point which supposedly cannot be surpassed normally. AT here doesn't say that everyone has reached their respective maximums and couldn't go higher, but rather that the absolute maximum was, indeed, reached by the main characters (even though actually just one of them did that) and that those main characters wouldn't be able to go above that absolute maximum (which, again, just one person reached). He uses "main characters" in general, not really referring to all of them. And because he doesn't want to put Gohan above Goku because fanboys. Or can't remember which of the two was the stronger one.

This is how I interpret "everyone had got to maximum strength":
Everyone was at their own maximum in the sense that they never gotten stronger rather than weren't able to. Goten & Trunks sure as hell could've become stronger and Goku himself proves that by saying that had Goten trained, he could beat Mr. Boo (Boo arc Goten definitely couldn't). But then back in the Boo arc Goku says that he'll train to surely defeat Pure Boo in the future (had he emerged from Mr. Boo which wasn't actually possible), so I'm not sure whether really nobody improved during those 10 years or it's just AT being forgetful as he is.

goku the krump dancer
I Live Here

Post by goku the krump dancer » Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:12 pm

The last part of hleV's interpretation is pretty much where I stand on the situation. I mean yeah Battle of Gods and the comments made on it were produced after the manga ended but because it takes place before the manga's conclusion, which has statements that seem to imply that the Z fighters or at least Goku and Vegeta have improved since Boo's demise. They override any possibility that everyone hit their unbreakable wall of power.
Peace And Power MF DOOM!

Piccolo jr

Post by Piccolo jr » Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:45 pm

EOZ Base Goku is atleast stronger than Good Buu. Goku said if Goten had trained, He would've surpassed Good Buu as SSJ so same goes for Goku. He could beat Good Buu in base.

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:44 pm

hleV wrote:This is how I interpret "the main characters, who had grown so strong that they’d reached a point where there was nothing higher":
Even though AT is talking about the "main characters" and says that "they'd reached a point where there's nothing higher", he means that one of the main characters has reached a point which supposedly cannot be surpassed normally. AT here doesn't say that everyone has reached their respective maximums and couldn't go higher, but rather that the absolute maximum was, indeed, reached by the main characters (even though actually just one of them did that) and that those main characters wouldn't be able to go above that absolute maximum (which, again, just one person reached). He uses "main characters" in general, not really referring to all of them. And because he doesn't want to put Gohan above Goku because fanboys. Or can't remember which of the two was the stronger one.

This is how I interpret "everyone had got to maximum strength":
Everyone was at their own maximum in the sense that they never gotten stronger rather than weren't able to. Goten & Trunks sure as hell could've become stronger and Goku himself proves that by saying that had Goten trained, he could beat Mr. Boo (Boo arc Goten definitely couldn't). But then back in the Boo arc Goku says that he'll train to surely defeat Pure Boo in the future (had he emerged from Mr. Boo which wasn't actually possible), so I'm not sure whether really nobody improved during those 10 years or it's just AT being forgetful as he is.
AT talks in a plural sense, how could that be relating to a singular character?
Piccolo jr wrote:EOZ Base Goku is atleast stronger than Good Buu. Goku said if Goten had trained, He would've surpassed Good Buu as SSJ so same goes for Goku. He could beat Good Buu in base.
So Goku is more than 50x stronger than Goten...? What?

hleV
Banned

Post by hleV » Wed Jan 15, 2014 7:31 pm

Draken wrote:AT talks in a plural sense, how could that be relating to a singular character?
Holy shit... You're right. The main characters had all reached that one certain level of power where there's nothing higher. They're all totally at the exact same level of power during the Boo arc.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Jan 15, 2014 8:08 pm

The way I interpreted "the main characters, who had grown so strong that they’d reached a point where there was nothing higher" is the same message we're getting in the Boo arc: Goku and the others are running out of challenges. Goku went to the Otherworld to find more strong opponents, and we find there was nothing there for him. When Babidi shows up, we find his minions are nothing to the Z team, and even Boo doesn't stack up to Super Saiyan 3 Goku. We then get Super Saiyan 3 Gotenks and Gohan, who reach even higher, and it ends with Goku requesting for Boo to be reincarnated because he wants a challenge.

I think the idea is that concepts like the God of Destruction were necessary to come up with an appropriate challenge for everyone.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Draken
Banned

Post by Draken » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:29 pm

hleV wrote:
Draken wrote:AT talks in a plural sense, how could that be relating to a singular character?
Holy shit... You're right. The main characters had all reached that one certain level of power where there's nothing higher. They're all totally at the exact same level of power during the Boo arc.
Yea man I know right!!! Tanks for da agreement br0ski

Toriyama states that the 5 years prior to the end of the show is when they're at their strongest level, he says nothing about Buu saga being their strongest or that they stayed the exact same strength. In fact, your interpretation is the one that could be looked upon as incredulous, though I'll avoid stooping to your level and actually take the time to read and reply.

"Main characters"
You say "characters" is referring to one person who reached their max, and thus Toriyama can say "The main characters, who had grown so strong they'd reached a point where there was nothing higher". Since when did plural "characters" and "they'd" refer to ONE main character who'd reached their peak strength? How does anyone reach that conclusion? He pretty much DOES state everyone had reached their respective maximum, it's at which point of their lives that seems to be most up to debate. Has everyone reached their peak for their life? For the manga's serialization? Why would he use "main characters" in general, which to most people refers to MAIN CHARACTERS, aka ALL of them, to refer to one singular person that you'd have to deeply micro-analyze to figure out he's talking about only one person, one person that no one knows?

I don't think many people disagree on their own maximum strength part referring to Goten and Trunks and the like. However, in the manga's serialization, everyone reaches a peak eventually, and it takes something huge like a new special type of training (RoSaT, transformations, dead, etc) to break that barrier. Goku and Vegeta could easily have reached yet another one of those peaks (very likely, seeing as how in 7 years of Other-World training he didn't even double his power bar SSJ3), and thus are at their maximum strength, maybe for the manga, maybe for life because nothing new comes by. (bar SSG)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:50 pm

I think that the Saiyans hit their limit when they transformed into Super Saiyans. Goku trained hard for 3 years, and he was still close in power with a 6-months older Future Trunks. The Saiyans then enter inside RoSaT to with surpassing Super Saiyan as their main goal, not get even stronger through just training. Then the 4 Super Saiyans they make huge improvements in their base/SS forms after mastering Super Saiyan, which massively increased their training gains according to the SEG. And after that, Goku got less than twice stronger after training for 7 years in the AfterLife (I should remind that Goku did a less special training for 6 months with Kaio, and got a x20 increase), with him focusing in achieving Super Saiyan 2 & Super Saiyan 3.

Vegeta even says that he reached his limit right before he awakened his SS, and Goku says the same about him & Gohan after they mastered SS. So, it seems that the first wall comes when the Saiyan gets strong enough to turn into SS & trained to their limits (with the near-death power-ups getting insignificant, and the tail stopping growing back), and the second (and final) wall comes after they've mastered SS & trained to their limits.

As for the rest of the Z-Senshi, Chaozu reached his limits during the 3 years time-skip since he couldn't keep up, Kuririn, Yamcha, and Tenshinhan reached it after that time-skip since they couldn't go past the base Saiyans anymore, and Tenshinhan couldn't even surpass Kuririn after 12 years (probably because Kuririn had his dormant power out), and Piccolo reached it after RoSaT, since he never bothered to enter for a 2nd time, and never managed to surpass the mastered Super Saiyans.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:27 pm

hleV wrote:Holy shit... You're right. The main characters had all reached that one certain level of power where there's nothing higher. They're all totally at the exact same level of power during the Boo arc.
This is a totally inappropriate post. If you have nothing other than a sarcastic nothingness statement to make, you are better off simply not posting at all. Please review the forum rules, which you agreed to twice prior to registration, before making further contributions.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::