Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" Coming To Blu-ray (Updated 12/31

Post by kei17 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:45 pm

Kid Buu wrote:....what's #7 meant to mean?
Many people had already got tired of AKB nonsense at the time and didn't get why they're involved even with Dragon Ball. Their ending song became an object of hatred among the fandom. Especially, releasing 11 or so -whatever- different versions of the CD single of Kokoro no Hane was severely criticized and many fans accused Toei of being a bunch of mammonists.
Last edited by kei17 on Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:48 pm

kei17 wrote:1) The beloved Kikuchi score got replaced.
2) Unmei no Hi ~Tamashii vs Tamashii~ is gone.
3) Some of the original voice actors have become too old that their performances are underwhelming compared to those in Z.
4) Needless recasts
5) Wakamoto's unserious performance
6) Yamamoto threw dirt at the series.
7) AKB48
Do they prefer the replacement Kikuchi score to the Yamamoto score? And before the Yamamoto scandal, what did they think about it?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:51 pm

It's a bit funny to think that Kai did a lot more for DBZ in English-speaking territories more than in its country of origin.

It spurred some good VA replacements that actually needed to happen, instead of being disappointing or just "guest star" publicity stunts. It allowed for a new and accurate dub where the voice actors were enthusiastic to finally do things right, as opposed to the waning performances of some of the Japanese cast who have been saying the "right" lines for decades. And in doing all of this, it brought in droves of new fans who have and will continue to experience "DBZ" for the first time in a way that actually does it justice.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

TheOverlyMadHatter
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheOverlyMadHatter » Sat Jan 25, 2014 4:58 pm

kei17 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
kei17 wrote:I guess the original Z would sell more than Kai. Kai is disliked there more than you think.
Just curious, why is this the case? I've heard the reasons as to why some American fans dislike Kai, but not any from the Japanese side.
1) The beloved Kikuchi score got replaced.
3) Some of the original voice actors have become too old that their performances are underwhelming compared to those in Z.
4) Needless recasts
7) AKB48

Black_Anime_Fan wrote:From what I've heard Kai does pretty well in Japan, I didn't think it'd be that unpopular.
Yeah, it did so well that each Blu-ray box sold less than 1,000 copies and did not increase merchandising sales.
Could this mean we might get an HD release of the original series in lieu of the Manga's 30th Anniversary? Or is it still too soon for that?

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:09 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Do they prefer the replacement Kikuchi score to the Yamamoto score? And before the Yamamoto scandal, what did they think about it?
From what I've seen and heard, the replacement score version is received well and many people say that they shouldn't have produced a new score from the beginning. As for the Yamamoto score, it had been strongly bashed immediately after the first episode aired, but there seemed to be some people liking it, who have become completely silent after the scandal. It was not really liked from the beginning. The soundtrack CDs never got any reviews on Amazon.co.jp except for mine.

Think about all the Faulconer fanboys on YouTube becoming Kikuchi fans. That's the Japanese fandom.

TheOverlyMadHatter wrote:Could this mean we might get an HD release of the original series in lieu of the Manga's 30th Anniversary?
I don't think so. Toei is smarter than FUNi when it comes to releasing schedules.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:44 pm

kei17 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Do they prefer the replacement Kikuchi score to the Yamamoto score? And before the Yamamoto scandal, what did they think about it?
From what I've seen and heard, the replacement score version is received well and many people say that they shouldn't have produced a new score from the beginning. As for the Yamamoto score, it had been strongly bashed immediately after the first episode aired, but there seemed to be some people liking it, who have become completely silent after the scandal. It was not really liked from the beginning. The soundtrack CDs never got any reviews on Amazon.co.jp except for mine.

Think about all the Faulconer fanboys on YouTube becoming Kikuchi fans. That's the Japanese fandom.

TheOverlyMadHatter wrote:Could this mean we might get an HD release of the original series in lieu of the Manga's 30th Anniversary?
I don't think so. Toei is smarter than FUNi when it comes to releasing schedules.
Hmm, Kei, when would you predict Toei make a HD release?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:48 pm

kei17 wrote:From what I've seen and heard, the replacement score version is received well and many people say that they shouldn't have produced a new score from the beginning.
They really enjoyed that horrible limited replacement? I thought the Japanese fans would've been more smarter than this it's kinda disappointing, honestly.

Toei Animation advertised Kai as a modern series so it makes sense to have given it a new score, too bad the picture quality was more or less the same with Paint drawings thrown it.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Jan 25, 2014 5:54 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:They really enjoyed that horrible limited replacement? I thought the Japanese fans would've been more smarter than this it's kinda disappointing, honestly.
Kei17 wrote:Think about all the Faulconer fanboys on YouTube becoming Kikuchi fans. That's the Japanese fandom.
I think that pretty much answers it :lol:

Can you imagine if Funimation released Kai with randomly generated Faulconer songs thrown in at random points?! They'd eat it up.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:03 pm

sangofe wrote:Hmm, Kei, when would you predict Toei make a HD release?
Are you talking specifically about DBZ? If so, I guess it will take five or so years at least considering that the Buu arc of Kai is newly coming at this time. The original DB or GT would be released earlier.

dbboxkaifan wrote:They really enjoyed that horrible limited replacement? I thought the Japanese fans would've been more smarter than this it's kinda disappointing, honestly.
They know it's not perfect, but the Kikuchi score sounds much more comfortable for their ears that they can ignore some flaws.

EA575
Regular

Post by EA575 » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:27 pm

kei17 wrote: 1) The beloved Kikuchi score got replaced.
4) Needless recasts
7) AKB48
That sounds terrible, especially 2, 5, and 7. I thought the Japanese fans didn't like that Kai was just Z with less filler and not a whole new animation, but this is pretty bad.

KingofWisdom
Regular

Post by KingofWisdom » Sat Jan 25, 2014 6:33 pm

I don't know, as much as I enjoy Kai for the dub, I have very little interest in the Japanese version. I agree that the voice acting isn't up to snuff, and it's just too low budget. I kinda look past that when it comes to FUNimation's releases, because it just might be the best English dub we get for the Z TV series. Some of the Yamamoto pieces were flat-out bad, and I didn't like the music placement's lack of breathing room. It was almost in the vein of the Faulconer Productions placement, with wall to wall music, except for a few short breaks every so often. Instead of letting the impact of some scenes speak for themselves, the music was obtrusive and felt like it was there to tell you how to feel. There was that one song that got used every time a main character died, or when a scene was really dramatic (Requiem ~To Those Who Meet Their End~). Then, when the scandal happened, it made Kai feel almost entirely pointless.
"Those transformations insane,
They wanna turn up hours late and steal the show from the pros who had to die for the name." - Yamcha (DBWTF: Z-Rap 3)

"Over saturation is easy. Just drag the slider to the right and there you are: instant interest. And certainly, the majority of the public likes saturated color images. In fact, if you want to quickly create a popular image, simply over saturate the colors and increase the contrast. While you may not achieve a sophisticated image, you will achieve an image that will please a less demanding audience." - Alain Briot

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:16 pm

KingofWisdom wrote:I don't know, as much as I enjoy Kai for the dub, I have very little interest in the Japanese version. I agree that the voice acting isn't up to snuff, and it's just too low budget. I kinda look past that when it comes to FUNimation's releases, because it just might be the best English dub we get for the Z TV series. Some of the Yamamoto pieces were flat-out bad, and I didn't like the music placement's lack of breathing room. It was almost in the vein of the Faulconer Productions placement, with wall to wall music, except for a few short breaks every so often. Instead of letting the impact of some scenes speak for themselves, the music was obtrusive and felt like it was there to tell you how to feel. There was that one song that got used every time a main character died, or when a scene was really dramatic (Requiem ~To Those Who Meet Their End~). Then, when the scandal happened, it made Kai feel almost entirely pointless.
If you watch any new anime, it seems that long music-less portions of a scene is not practised as much any more. It's more wall to wall music with things happening so fast it makes your eyes spin.

I think that for mainstream productions of modern anime don't use music they way they did in the old days. It's much more of an American approach.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun Jan 26, 2014 4:37 am

kei17 wrote:
sangofe wrote:Hmm, Kei, when would you predict Toei make a HD release?
Are you talking specifically about DBZ? If so, I guess it will take five or so years at least considering that the Buu arc of Kai is newly coming at this time. The original DB or GT would be released earlier.

They know it's not perfect, but the Kikuchi score sounds much more comfortable for their ears that they can ignore some flaws.
You really think they'd do DB, then GT and then Z? That sounds strange as Z was the clearest popular portion of the series, plus they started with that for the Dragonboxes. And in five years... Do you think that means they'd go directly to 4K?

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 5:52 am

Kaboom wrote:It's a bit funny to think that Kai did a lot more for DBZ in English-speaking territories more than in its country of origin.

It spurred some good VA replacements that actually needed to happen, instead of being disappointing or just "guest star" publicity stunts. It allowed for a new and accurate dub where the voice actors were enthusiastic to finally do things right, as opposed to the waning performances of some of the Japanese cast who have been saying the "right" lines for decades. And in doing all of this, it brought in droves of new fans who have and will continue to experience "DBZ" for the first time in a way that actually does it justice.
And yet a near overwhelmingly large part of the fanbase demonizes it for those exact same reasons.

"No old Gohan and Freeza voice?! No Faulconer soundtrack?! Dragonball Z Kai is the devil!"

Stupidity. Pure and simple. Nostalgia Goggles have become Nostalgia Full Body Armor.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:52 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Stupidity. Pure and simple. Nostalgia Goggles have become Nostalgia Full Body Armor.
Some people will need a Tropese-to-English dictionary.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

falle
Not-So-Newbie

Post by falle » Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:29 am

sangofe wrote:You really think they'd do DB, then GT and then Z? That sounds strange as Z was the clearest popular portion of the series, plus they started with that for the Dragonboxes. And in five years... Do you think that means they'd go directly to 4K?
The 3 animated Dragon Ball series were made on 16mm film of which you can only gain 2K out of.
Yes - nu med Level 1.1 !

Tenken
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tenken » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:25 pm

KentalSSJ6 wrote: "No old Gohan and Freeza voice?! No Faulconer soundtrack?! Dragonball Z Kai is the devil!"
The funny thing is that's exactly why I plan to purchase kai. Gohan and Freeza's voices are so much better in the Kai dub IMO.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:29 pm

Off-topic, but Hattiesburg, MS? I grew up in Jackson and went to college in Oxford!
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/29/24!)
Current Episode: Attack of the Member Berries - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 3

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jan 26, 2014 3:31 pm

sangofe wrote:You really think they'd do DB, then GT and then Z? That sounds strange as Z was the clearest popular portion of the series, plus they started with that for the Dragonboxes. And in five years... Do you think that means they'd go directly to 4K?
Yeah, Z is the most popular portion, but my guess is that they don't want to saturate the market. With Kai, there's little point in releasing the "Z" era in HD again, especially when even new volumes of Kai are going to be released. The original DB or GT would be fresher and an upgrade in audio can be a major sales point when it comes to GT.

Jaruka
Regular

Post by Jaruka » Sun Jan 26, 2014 9:47 pm

I have Season 1 sitting next to me, ready to open and I'm not sure if I should or return it. This is, of course, due to the generally negative attitude of many of the people on this forum.

Still, the only other Dragon Ball Z box set I own is Kai (also Blu ray) and it's really a toss-up. You guys seem to think this looks somewhat worse than Kai but at the same time due to this being my only collection I would like it to be complete end-to-end, filler filled Dragon Ball Z.

Is it really that bad?
mysticboy wrote:Raditz has the durability of 3 moons.