Buu Saga Kai

Discussion specifically regarding the "refreshed" TV version of DBZ created in Japan for its 20th anniversary, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

GogetaSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Buu Saga Kai

Post by GogetaSSJ2 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:21 am

Has an english dub been confirmed yet for Buu saga Kai?
PSN: Nightwing7841

"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta, I am the instrument of your destruction!" - Gogeta

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:34 am

GogetaSSJ2 wrote:Has an english dub been confirmed yet for Buu saga Kai?
Page 15.
DerekPadula wrote:Hi Everyone,

I have some exclusive news from Christopher Sabat regarding FUNimation's plans for the Majin Buu Arc.

He told me in a few emails this morning that FUNimation not only hasn't dubbed any of the episodes, they also have no current plans to do so.

This completely refutes Sean Schemmel's earlier statement in his interview in April 2013 that he was about to wrap up his work on the Arc.

This means we won't be getting the English dub for a while.
However, there is some conspiracy as to whether Sabat is indeed telling the truth or lying based on other VA's claiming to have already done work for the Buu Saga.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:31 am

Well, I'm honestly surprised Toei decided to air the Buu Saga Kai in Japan. I thought it would be a straight to DVD/Blu-Ray release there. I wonder how it will go against the new Sailor Moon anime, witch will premiere in July 2014.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:44 am

coola wrote:Well, I'm honestly surprised Toei decided to air Buu Saga Kai in Japan, i thought it will be straight to DVD/Blu-Ray release therer, i wonder how it will go against new Sailor Moon anime, with will premiere in July 2014
I think a lot of people are - including Toei. I guess it goes to show that Toriko was really doing that badly.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:09 am

Blade wrote:
coola wrote:Well, I'm honestly surprised Toei decided to air Buu Saga Kai in Japan, i thought it will be straight to DVD/Blu-Ray release therer, i wonder how it will go against new Sailor Moon anime, with will premiere in July 2014
I think a lot of people are - including Toei. I guess it goes to show that Toriko was really doing that badly.
Toriko was so bad. I actually tried to watch it recently on the basis that 'oh, this replaced DB Kai, let's see what it's all about' and...jeez, I am not surprised in the least that they've put it on hold.

Hopefully Kai will do a little better this time around. The Buu arc is pretty damn action packed!
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:02 pm

sailorspazz wrote:Because, let's face it, they can say they're not dubbing it but they're going to dub it...because of the implication).
Oh man, I laughed.

I agree with you about the character songs. I've been wanting a duet between Goten and Trunks for a while now. We also need a villain theme for either Bobidi or Buu or both (Freeza and Cell got 'em). A few years ago I'd have been BEGGING for a duet between Buu and Mister Satan, but without Daisuke Gori it'd be pointless... :(
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

JEFFMAN219
Regular

Post by JEFFMAN219 » Fri Feb 21, 2014 12:46 pm

AjayLikesGaming wrote:
Blade wrote:
Toriko was so bad. I actually tried to watch it recently on the basis that 'oh, this replaced DB Kai, let's see what it's all about' and...jeez, I am not surprised in the least that they've put it on hold.

Hopefully Kai will do a little better this time around. The Buu arc is pretty damn action packed!
Read the Toriko manga its way better then anime.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Feb 21, 2014 1:22 pm

JEFFMAN219 wrote:Read the Toriko manga its way better then anime.
Yup, I'm aware but the overall premise just doesn't appeal to me. No pace change or added violence is going to sway me on that, I doubt.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

sailorspazz
Advanced Regular

Post by sailorspazz » Fri Feb 21, 2014 5:01 pm

It might be unlikely at this point since Funimation still hasn't officially announced anything, but it would be cool if they did a simulcast. They're doing it with Space Dandy, and if the (now retracted) statements by actors are true, they've already been working on Boo saga for a while now. It's possible they could have enough completed that they could start airing it in April.

The points against this are first, obviously, that Funimation hasn't announced anything. Second, not sure if Nicktoons still has the rights to air it, so they may need to negotiate with another network (or else we'll only get the crazy "blue Popo" Vortexx version!). Third, they seem to prefer airing Dragon Ball multiple times per week rather than just once a week, so I could see them holding back the American broadcast until more episodes have aired in Japan.

As I said, it doesn't seem super likely that a simulcast will happen, but it'd be neat if it did!
A veteran fan-girl past her prime
Host of Fujoshi Trash Talk at Anibros Creative podcast network
Twitter | Tumblr | Fanfics at fanfiction.net and ao3 | DeviantArt | YouTube

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Feb 21, 2014 10:32 pm

Shida Naotoshi says he has yet to be involved in the Dragon Ball Kai Majin Buu arc Opening or Ending animations, but he would like to be if the chance arises. Fret not, however, he is currently drawing Iron Man! This leads me to believe that Opening and Endings have yet to be produced, although I would have figured they would have been done back in late 2012.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Feb 22, 2014 12:46 am

sailorspazz wrote:It might be unlikely at this point since Funimation still hasn't officially announced anything, but it would be cool if they did a simulcast. They're doing it with Space Dandy, and if the (now retracted) statements by actors are true, they've already been working on Boo saga for a while now. It's possible they could have enough completed that they could start airing it in April.

The points against this are first, obviously, that Funimation hasn't announced anything. Second, not sure if Nicktoons still has the rights to air it, so they may need to negotiate with another network (or else we'll only get the crazy "blue Popo" Vortexx version!). Third, they seem to prefer airing Dragon Ball multiple times per week rather than just once a week, so I could see them holding back the American broadcast until more episodes have aired in Japan.

As I said, it doesn't seem super likely that a simulcast will happen, but it'd be neat if it did!
A simulcast would certainly keep me some dirty pirate from taking part in any sort of temporary piracy. Y'know, the "I'll download this for now and get the official release when it becomes avaible" type?
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Sat Feb 22, 2014 4:19 am

A simulcast would be likely if one considers that One Piece and Toriko are already simulcasted by both Funimation and Crunchyroll - but it's worth keeping in mind that the Dragonball franchise has a set of large and convoluted regional distribution and licensing deals worldwide that may prove prohibitive. One Piece's situation is not nearly as complex, but regardless - I was still amazed that the Crunchyroll simulcast deal was possible for that particular title.

So I guess for Kai it is possible, or at least, there's some precedent for it.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

SilverPlaqueVII
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SilverPlaqueVII » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:42 pm

After a thirty six month hiatus, looks like I'm back more than ever for the Buu Arc/Saga Kai. So its time to get KeyHoleTV again just like in 2009-11! :D

So the question is how many Kai Buu episodes it will be to splice from the original 92 aired from 1993-1996?
Jelo Gutierrez Cantos (Dr. Fresh)
I'M GONNA BREAK YOU, LIKE A KIT-KAT BAR!! - TFS Goku. (have a Break, have a Kit Kat Freeza!)

-------------------------------------

Silver ShenronTransit Archive Projects
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Facebook | X (Twitter) | Tumblr | Youtube (1) (2) | Flickr | Instagram | Threads

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Feb 22, 2014 11:54 pm

SilverPlaqueVII wrote:After a thirty six month hiatus, looks like I'm back more than ever for the Buu Arc/Saga Kai. So its time to get KeyHoleTV again just like in 2009-11! :D

So the question is how many Kai Buu episodes it will be to splice from the original 92 aired from 1993-1996?
I predict around 52 episodes if they cut a lot of filler. However I'm honestly going say around 64 since some filler will be in there.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sun Feb 23, 2014 12:45 am

If it's anything like the rest of Kai, we can expect roughly 50 episodes out of this arc.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:11 am

Even thought it was a poorly animated and drawn episode, I hope they keep that one episode where everyone is meeting up and Goku is babysitting a nest. I liked a lot of the character interaction in that episode.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sun Feb 23, 2014 3:15 am

KentalSSJ6 wrote:Even thought it was a poorly animated and drawn episode, I hope they keep that one episode where everyone is meeting up and Goku is babysitting a nest. I liked a lot of the character interaction in that episode.
Admit it, you just want to see the dancing.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:22 am

Was there really all that much Filler in the Buu saga? Maybe some of the Great Saiyaman episodes, but everything else is all kind of linked. The tournament and Babidi, the 'Game of Death' style fighting in Babidis ship, the hatching of Buu and all his stages..

I don't think they need to cut a lot.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:36 am

penguintruth wrote:
KentalSSJ6 wrote:Even thought it was a poorly animated and drawn episode, I hope they keep that one episode where everyone is meeting up and Goku is babysitting a nest. I liked a lot of the character interaction in that episode.
Admit it, you just want to see the dancing.
Yeah, that too.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

ErikB
Beyond Newbie

Post by ErikB » Sun Feb 23, 2014 4:53 pm

LordCrumb wrote:Was there really all that much Filler in the Buu saga? Maybe some of the Great Saiyaman episodes, but everything else is all kind of linked. The tournament and Babidi, the 'Game of Death' style fighting in Babidis ship, the hatching of Buu and all his stages..

I don't think they need to cut a lot.
Beyond easily-named filler segments, there's a lot of padding Kai cuts out that I imagine we don't really notice is gone because nothing happens during it. Specifically, individual shots that are slow pans of backgrounds or characters, several of which get repeated.
Back when Kai was canceled in the first place, I started thinking about doing my own recut of the Buu saga and started taking notes of what scenes to cut. I noticed that, during the Goten vs. Trunks fight, the same slow upward pan of Videl with a giant-eyed-shocked expression is repeated three times.

With stuff like that in mind, I wouldn't be surprised at all if the episode count dropped significantly meanwhile the actual content didn't seem to change much.
There is, of course, also filler that I expect they'll leave in. With how it was done in the anime, I don't know if they even could remove the filler-scenario that leads to Videl revealing Great Saiyaman's identity. And Goku fighting Kid Buu as a Super Saiyan 2 would be difficult to cut out completely since it's worked into a couple manga-canon moments.