So why is Adult Gohan always shamed by the fandom?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: So why is Adult Gohan always shamed by the fandom?

Post by Cipher » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:34 am

Because he's not sick-nasty-bad-ass-hardcore any more.

On the other hand, he actually developed a personality beyond that of milquetoast, so good for him.
As for Gohan being a scholar and having his own life, I am sure I will get a lot of heat for this but I don't see Gohan as a scholar. I know, I know, he has mentioned it countless times in the series but to be frank, I never saw those as a genuine desires. All those times, it felt a lot more like "my mother has told me this my entire life, it must be what I want to do" I am not saying I see Gohan as full time fighter, because, obviously, he is not his father but I do think he liked training more than people assume he does. Gohan hates the fights, the battles but I always saw him as enjoying the training aspect, especially with his Father and Piccolo. I think it gave him a sense of power and strength he was not used to and gave him a sense of control over his life (not to slam on ChiChi as I know she had good intentions but the way she interacts with him, especially Android Saga and prior, doesn't leave a lot of room for a kid to feel a great sense of control) Plus, as I mentioned, I think Gohan takes it upon himself to protect others and his power and strength gave him a means to do that.

I actually love the idea of Gohan marrying, having a child and his own life but I think he would have kept his own training up. I think after seeing all the crap that seems to like to fall into his life, he would be devoted to keeping his family safe, in any way he was able to. To just stop training and keeping himself strong when he suddenly now has a daughter and wife who obviously mean a lot to him is just stupid.
I think it's more that Gohan just enjoys helping people. He enjoys the sport/exercise aspect of martial arts as well, in addition to the fact that being super-humanly strong allows him to help others. But I think it's absolutely within the realm of believably that, having reached a sufficient (cosmically strong) amount of power, he wouldn't have the desire to continue seriously attempting to get stronger. He's not Goku or Vegeta.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:47 am

Cipher wrote:Because he's not sick-nasty-bad-ass-hardcore any more.
I don't even get the SSJ2 Kid Gohan badass claims. He just beats up Cell for his 15 minutes of fame before he fucks up and then goes into melodramatic crying.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:58 am

Don't forget the seven Cell Juniors. That moment was actually pretty cool, if only because it basically took what Goku did in previous arcs and amplified it to the point of parody for Gohan. In previous arcs, Goku would come in and take out the big brutish henchman who was destroying the side characters to show how impressive he is now (Mummy, Drum, Nappa, Recoome). Gohan here did the same thing... seven times. In like ten seconds. One Junior was enough to defeat Piccolo + tired Goku + all of the humans at the same time, while Trunks and Vegeta could each just barley match a single Junior each, and were most definitely not a match for even two at a time. Gohan wiped them all out in a few panels. Overkill, much? It took Goku even took longer to beat Nappa.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:20 am

That moment is cool indeed, and he actually kills eight Cell Juniors. :wtf:
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:26 am

Oh my god, they already started maturing and reproducing!? Good thing Gohan stopped that before it got out of control.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:28 am

It's also notable for being one of the are few times in the manga where Goku does something stupid (not eating a Senzu while he can) and got his ass kicked for it. Other times he does something dumb and gets a treat out of it.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:08 am

Kid Buu wrote:It's also notable for being one of the are few times in the manga where Goku does something stupid (not eating a Senzu while he can) and got his ass kicked for it. Other times he does something dumb and gets a treat out of it.
But, we know Goku is an airhead, while Gohan has the highest I.Q. of the group, besides Bulma, and still manages to think with his emotions, and not his brain. :eh:
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:55 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:Oh my god, they already started maturing and reproducing!? Good thing Gohan stopped that before it got out of control.
So hey, that's the first explanation I've seen for the eighth Cell Junior. Good enough!

Or, since he destroyed the heads of all but one, that one regenerated.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:00 pm

How about Gohan throwing that Kamehameha out without changing?

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:14 pm

ChiChiFan wrote:I prefer adult/teen Gohan over kid Gohan. Whether fans like it or not, Gohan was not like his father. His heart wasn't into fighting. He only did it because he was forced to do it. Granted, I would have loved for him to be a hero and take his father's place but he preferred the books over martial arts.
Saying that he was"forced"to fight is a bit too much, because in the Cell Arc, Gohan was willing to train along with Goku so he could take on the Androids. I mean, many fans say that Chi-Chi forced him to be a scholar, when really, Gohan did prefer brains over brawns, and I saw an interview when Toriyama said that Gohan hates fighting and would rather read instead.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 11:43 pm

I think fans like Future Gohan a lot and were let down that Adult Gohan was nowhere was cool. I seen fans liking Mystic Gohan a lot, but the transformation went away for no reason in GT.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Cursed Lemon
Advanced Regular

Post by Cursed Lemon » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:18 pm

I don't think people hate adult Gohan so much as they hate the way adult Gohan is used.

It is a show about fighting, after all, and when it came down to brass tacks adult Gohan got the shaft as far as being the hero, not to mention the fact that his free powerup from the Old Kai was an utterly stupid plot device.

I have to imagine that when Gohan said, "fight you, no, I want to kill you", most people were pretty on board with him, hah.
Special Beam Cannon!

(゚Д゚)σ 弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌弌⊃

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:22 pm

Although I like Adult Gohan, I gotta say one thing. It seems a lot of people say Buu arc is the first time he has any personality, but to me it seems like "Socially awkward nerd" type persona just disappears when Saiyaman disappears. Not to mention the majority of that stuff was filler.

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:42 pm

But still, Gohan being a dork is in the manga, and I really loved that part of his personality. I really never understood why people hated on him for being a kind kid who didn't want to kill everything that moved. If anything, I always thought his crybaby character was hilarious when paired up with Goku's strength and will to fight and etc. It's even played up for laughs in the Dead Zone movie.
If kid Gohan had a personality like kid Goten DB would've been way more boring because you would have grown up Goku hanging out with his younger self and that's dumb. At least the interactions with Gohan also make up all of the few emotional moments in DB (excluding Vegeta blowing himself up) and his character development is one of the best in the series imo, obviously behind Vegeta and Piccolo.

He went from being a crybaby to being a powerful fighter, but in the end, while I think he enjoys training and sparring and wants to protect what's important to him, I don't think fighting is his life, he genuinely liked studying
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

MDSTSSJ
Regular

Post by MDSTSSJ » Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:29 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think fans like Future Gohan a lot and were let down that Adult Gohan was nowhere was cool. I seen fans liking Mystic Gohan a lot, but the transformation went away for no reason in GT.
I don't hate him but the one I like most is future Gohan!!

Ultimate Gohan it's cool and all that but I don't like at all the way he gain power for free ( Kaioshin unlocking thing ) in the Boo's Arc time.

I'm used and I like people who gain power through their own means and efforts!

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:36 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:I think fans like Future Gohan a lot and were let down that Adult Gohan was nowhere was cool. I seen fans liking Mystic Gohan a lot, but the transformation went away for no reason in GT.
Have to agree with this as well. Gohan at the end of the Cell games just had a lot of potential to go in a variety of directions with regards to his character development and power but it was a very underwhelming landing to say the least. Perhaps there are those that thought that with what Gohan had gone through in the Cell games it warranted a change in his character that would have been a bit more reflected in his later years.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.