Have you ever lost interest in the franchise?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Have you ever lost interest in the franchise?

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:01 pm

Has there ever been a point in your life where you've found yourself falling away from the series?

If so, how did you get back into the series? And if you've always been in it, do you see yourself losing interest any time soon?

I know for me personally, ever since I first saw it, it's always been in my life in some capacity. There may have been a brief period in '04/'05 where I simply forgot about it, but it was always on my radar and in '06 my interest really exploded. Since my fandom has only peaked quite recently, as a fan, I still feel like I have a lot of 'DB-life' left in me. I don't have a single complete collection of anything (apart from the DBZ movies), I haven't seen a lot of the series, I'm still clueless on a lot of topics involving the series; like animation, film restoration, etc.-so there's still a lot (and I mean a lot) of things for me to do with the franchise. I'm also looking to launch a review series at some point in the future, so there's that to keep me occupied as well.

I think there's a possibility that I might fall away from the series when I move on to university, but I think it's unlikely, given that my enthusiasm is still at an all time high.

DBZ Mick
Advanced Regular

Re: Have you ever lost interest in the franchise?

Post by DBZ Mick » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:05 pm

Pretty much nowadays.

I'm more of a casual fan, I like hearing what's new in the franchise but as a whole I'm finding it a little difficult to get excited.

I like coming here because it's an on topic forum, but I find myself finding it hard to contribute to threads because I find I've already stated my views on certain threads and/or are not interested in others.

I'd like to read the manga again though and maybe watch the anime.
Last edited by DBZ Mick on Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It is in his character to be rude and a bit crass. He's a hick, with no formal education. That is Son Goku. That is who he is.

Superman in an orange Gi was the bastard son of FUNimation. Its not The real character, it is as false as Chatku.

-DemonRin

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:09 pm

First half of 2012. Nothing was going on and I felt I'd tapped my resources dry. Then BOG was announced and my interest came back in a big way. Presently, I'm somewhere in-between. Not as bad as early '12, not as good as late '12 through the end of '13. I think it at least partly depends on what kind of if any big new content will be revealed over the course of this year.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:22 pm

My interest comes and goes. It's like eating your favorite food. When you first eat it, it's amazing, but when you eat it everyday for a long stretch, it's easy to lose interest.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:27 pm

Well let me try and put my Dragon Ball fandom in context here. Since I was about four or five years old Dragon Ball has been in my life in some capacity. My original exposure to it was watching an episode of Dragon Ball when I was visiting some relatives in Mexico. When I came back to the states I looked it up and saw that Dragon ball Z was airing on the Toonami programming block and so the rest was history as far as I'm concerned.

Since then my fandom has had its respective highs and lows. I've bought most of the video games (from the ps1 area on) on the series and play them from time to time. I read the manga every few years or so, and I watch the anime (original and Kai) probably the most frequently. So it just really depends. I was pleasantly surprised to learn that the Dragon Boxes I had bought in 2009 and onward were such a big deal in the hardcore Dragon Ball community and part of that made me excited again to learn the details surrounding the production of the anime and etc. A lot of that is what eventually brought me to this community and others across the web. I try to stay involved in communities that discuss the Latin American dub of DB or even the Spanish dub since I have fluency and exposure to that language as well.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:28 pm

ABED wrote:My interest comes and goes. It's like eating your favorite food. When you first eat it, it's amazing, but when you eat it everyday for a long stretch, it's easy to lose interest.
I totally understand what you're getting at but some people (like me) can stomach eating that food on a weekly basis. :P I mean that both in the sense of DB and my favorite food (bison) lol.
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:28 pm

I don't think my interest is going to peak again until April.

I'm enjoying far too many other shows a hell of a lot more currently and my list of 'anime to watch' is far too big to let DBZ get in the way again.

I'm watching a bulk of Buu arc episodes with a friend every so often but that's the extent of it currently.

The forum seems to heading back into an 'in-universe slump' that I don't care for at all so there's not a lot to engage me on that side either.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:31 pm

RocktheDragon wrote:
ABED wrote:My interest comes and goes. It's like eating your favorite food. When you first eat it, it's amazing, but when you eat it everyday for a long stretch, it's easy to lose interest.
I totally understand what you're getting at but some people (like me) can stomach eating that food on a weekly basis. :P I mean that both in the sense of DB and my favorite food (bison) lol.
Weekly's one thing, daily's another.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:32 pm

To be honest, I sometimes wish I would, because I feel that I have an unhealthy obsession with it, even though I don't have any merchandise (it's actually my brothers who have DBZ video games, not me).

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:48 pm

DBZ Mick wrote:Pretty much nowadays.

I'm more of a casual fan, I like hearing what's new in the franchise but as a whole I'm finding it a little difficult to get excited.

I like coming here because it's an on topic forum, but I find myself finding it hard to contribute to threads because I find I've already stated my views on certain threads and/or are not interested in others.

I'd like to read the manga again though and maybe watch the anime.
Same for me. I'm kinda apathetic towards it but only because it feels like everything's been already discussed to death. The franchise isn't new, there are not many new topics that can get me easily excited.
The video games are probably the only thing that still interest me to some degree more or less, but seeing as they've also gone the route of total regurgitation it makes me even less excited for new things. Everything's kinda stale.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

penguintruth
Banned

Post by penguintruth » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:07 pm

For a while, from the time the show stopped airing on Toonami to the advent of the Dragon Box.

I did watch the Ultimate Uncut episodes when it was on TV, but I didn't run out and buy it or anything.

I felt like I had better manga and anime to pursue. And I did. But it was good to get back into DB, too.
Kentai wrote:Son Gokuu is a fascinating character anyway, because he is - at face value, anyway - an idiot savant. The victim of violent head trauma as an infant [...] he's a simple bumpkin with a fair share of brain damage who's natural talents to work out what's wrong compensate for his broad lack of common sense. But he's also a fighter, through and through [...] he fight until he has, in no uncertain terms, beaten his enemy on terms they can both acknowledge. He doesn't want to kill anyone, or even prove that he can win... he just wants to know he can. He's an ineffably charming bastard who's manly leanings were really incendental, and yes, the fact that he was voiced by a squeaky woman made the combination perhaps all the more charming.

Dragon Ball (Z) Kai Reviews!

Can I get a Schemen?

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:26 pm

Yup. But mainly me wanting to explore other things or lack of interest at the time. For example. I tend to change up the anime I use when I make amvs. It keeps Db fresh. Video games don't help when they're the same story. So my passion lowered. But it always come back.

GsTvo
Not-So-Newbie

Post by GsTvo » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:28 pm

Exactly the same.
Adding that when I see things like "Bardock Episode" or "Super Saiyajin God" I say: "What is this fuck!", and makes me wonder "¿Why I watch this?" So I forget everything about Dragon Ball and see other things.

But some days later, when for some reason I decide to watch some episode (especially Cell or Boo's arc - for Vegeta -), I said: "This is awesome! Why I left this?" And then I remember... So it becomes a vicious circle haha.

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Post by Kid Buu » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:34 pm

This forum is pretty much the only thing that connects me to DB these days. I dont think I'd read or watch it that much if it werent for this place.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:37 pm

I only got into the series in 2010 with dubbed Dragon Ball. (Kikuchi was really the reason I switched to the Japanese version for Z). Once all the Dragon Boxes were released, and I had watched through all the episodes, I found myself not coming here as much. And I don't think that was just me; besides the Bardock stuff and Battle of Gods, both of which I didn't really care about, there's been a lull. After the last Dragon Box was released, I got sucked into another, somewhat notorious fandom. I'm back for now, working on the BGM, and I came back just in time for Boo Kai it seems!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:39 pm

I don't really have much interest outside the main series on BD/DVD, games and other stuff.

If Toei Animation works on releasing DBZ films every 2 years then I'll probably lose my interest because it just feels they're doing it strictly for profit, hell, the original DBZ films 1-13 weren't all that great but they had their pros and cons (hand drawn animation).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:47 pm

When big things are announced like "Goku's mother to be revealed" or "New DBZ movie in 2013" I get all my hype back.
It comes and goes. I have other things I love too.

It's harder to get more excited than when I was a kid and these was all new to me.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:03 pm

It's always been a part of my life. From time to time I'll take a break from it for a few months or so and then get back into it for a while. This time I seem to have been back into it for longer than usual due to all the stuff that's happened the past year or so with Kai airing on TV and all the series finally getting a UK DVD release and BoG hype.

There was a period years back though, around 2005 after it got taken off Toonami UK and I had no access to it outside of games and a few VHS recordings. Back then I was still in school and couldn't afford to be importing the old singles at ridiculously high prices so was pretty much stuck for a few years just getting some of the movies here and there until the Orange Bricks were released and finally provided UK fans with a realistic way to import the whole series. Even in those days though I still got the games every year and looked forward to them with excitement.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:29 pm

I wish I could.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:48 pm

For a while during the 2000's, I had pretty much almost forgotten about the series entirely.

Flash forward to me discovering this forum and subsequently getting into Kai despite admitting to myself that I wouldn't (I blame nostalgia), my interest was renewed with a greater vigor than it ever has.

After spending time on this forum and getting a better idea on how the series works and the many things that surround it, I;m a bigger fan of the series than I ever was.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)