Most disturbing death

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Re: Most disturbing death

Post by garnetjester » Sun Mar 16, 2014 10:48 am

I agree with the old couple being killed. Also Krillin's death by Freeza was always super horrifying to me. Krillin's first death in the manga was super disturbing, especially because it completely changed the tone of the whole series.

Vegeta getting killed by Freeza was always really sad to me as well, even when I didn't like him as a character at all at the beginning of Z.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:17 pm

Rockman X wrote:a guy killing a bunch of old people?? that's freaking dark they didn't even get revived.
I pretty sure they did. In fact, I think the only people in the series that didn't get revived were the ones from that city Nappa destroyed (East City?).

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:42 pm

Rockman X wrote:
ABED wrote:I have to go with the death of the old married couple by that prick and his manservant.
I agree this was so surreal and weird for DBZ.. a guy killing a bunch of old people?? that's freaking dark they didn't even get revived.

Also the oddly enough for me the most disturbing death for me is chi-chi's neck snap in the filler. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBmpHWISvEQ
Funny enough, that clip shows Goku cares about Chichi which is something many people say isn't true.
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sun Mar 16, 2014 1:57 pm

Yes, I'm sure old couple was revived, Vegeta wish was "Wish all good people that died, since 25th TB
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:12 pm

Polyphase Avatron wrote:
Rockman X wrote:
ABED wrote:I have to go with the death of the old married couple by that prick and his manservant.
I agree this was so surreal and weird for DBZ.. a guy killing a bunch of old people?? that's freaking dark they didn't even get revived.

Also the oddly enough for me the most disturbing death for me is chi-chi's neck snap in the filler. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBmpHWISvEQ
Funny enough, that clip shows Goku cares about Chichi which is something many people say isn't true.
OT, but I really liked how in BoG when Beerus is about to defeat Goku and he remembers everyone, the picture of Chichi is the first one that appears in his mind.
"Giving up is something we can do anytime, so let's head on, even if it's just a little bit!"

MediaFanGirl93
Beyond Newbie

Post by MediaFanGirl93 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:20 pm

I think Dr. Gero chocking a guy to death was too gruesome to read in the manga, and it was all because that guy annoyed Gero. SMH!

NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeverRamza » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:21 pm

I always found the murders of innocent people to be rather jarring. Taopiepie goes into some random town and offs a few peaceful citizens, completely out of left field and not at all within the normal tone of the show, and then the plot just progresses on and no one cares. At that point the show seemed to be avoiding showing death and any real consequence to violence.

Buu flies around a carnival and starts knocking rollercoasters off tracks. Last time I checked they make Final Destination movies about that kind of stuff but then in the show, it's used as filler and the tone doesn't even remotely match what's actually going on.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 7:52 pm

baneofdemon22 wrote:
You're the only person that I've seen point that out. I love that scene. It feels so "real" to me, that people would be so sick to take advantage of such unfortunate circumstances and use it as a cover to perform more acts of evil.
I absolutely agree. One of the more realistic deaths, as it was just two pricks with weapons going around shooting people for thrills. It showed that all of the civilians in the show aren't just innocents worth protecting.
xXInfinite026Xx wrote:What seemed pretty disturbing to me at a younger age was seeing Trunk's flash (forward?) of when 17 and 18 had blasted through Yamcha, Tenshinhan, and Yajirobe. This was cut from the toonami version, but when my fandom was first growing back in the early 2000's, I remember seeing these images from a website addressing all of the DBZ TV edits (most likely DBZ uncensored). I remember back then, even with poorer quality image rips via VHS fansubs, it was a slightly disturbing sight to see for a 12 year old version of myself.
Speaking of impalement, Super Buu's "human extinction attack" was also equally disturbing when I first watched it through FUNimation's uncut VHS way back then. Seeing the rest of Earth's population wiped out by a series of impaling blasts in close detail was probably one of the more dark elements of the Buu Arc.
I agree, though my friends and I got a good laugh out of that girl getting blasted right between her boobs :lol:
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Mon Mar 17, 2014 7:35 pm

Does anyone remember what Buu's extinction attack looked like in the broadcast version? I'm curious if they just lifted the scenes with beam impalement and kept everything else.
Daisetsu wrote: In fact, I think the only people in the series that didn't get revived were the ones from that city Nappa destroyed (East City?).
Just off the top of my head:

-Any of the Red Ribbon casualties since Goku only revived Bora
-Farmer that Raditz killed
-City Nappa blew up
-Namekian village that Vegeta wiped out
-City that 19 and 20 wiped out
-Truck driver that got blown up by Vegeta when he was fighting 18
-Any potential overlap between casualties of Piccolo Daimao and Cell

Of course, I also wonder about the implications of a society where the Dragon Team only brought back "good people," though I think Goku/Dende specified "except the really bad."

garnetjester
Beyond Newbie

Post by garnetjester » Mon Mar 17, 2014 9:40 pm

Well, if Vegeta qualifies as a "good person" then pretty much anyone does :lol: So I don't think it really left a lot of people permanently dead

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:33 pm

garnetjester wrote:Well, if Vegeta qualifies as a "good person" then pretty much anyone does :lol: So I don't think it really left a lot of people permanently dead
I thought they only meant Super Villains lol. Not average bad people like Pilfar

Rockman X
Beyond Newbie

Post by Rockman X » Tue Mar 18, 2014 6:14 am

Daisetsu wrote:
Rockman X wrote:a guy killing a bunch of old people?? that's freaking dark they didn't even get revived.
I pretty sure they did. In fact, I think the only people in the series that didn't get revived were the ones from that city Nappa destroyed (East City?).
They only revived the ones killed by majin buu and vegeta not this guy.

and what about the people vegeta killed when he was fighting 18? lol

Sedorna
Beyond Newbie

Post by Sedorna » Tue Mar 18, 2014 9:24 am

Rockman X wrote:
Daisetsu wrote:
They only revived the ones killed by majin buu and vegeta not this guy.

and what about the people vegeta killed when he was fighting 18? lol
They never mentioned either Buu or Vegeta when making the wish. At first, the wish was going to be "Bring back everybody Majin Buu killed" but then Vegeta pointed out that Babidi would be brought back and the people he killed wouldn't. So the wish was changed to "Bring back everybody who died/was killed (I can't recall the exact phrasing they used) since the tournament." (Paraphrasing a bit). There was no mention of who might have killed them, so the people killed by those monsters were brought back to life, except for the really evil ones.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:41 pm

How did they determine who was really evil or not? Was it just Shenron's opinion?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:51 pm

Storm wrote: -City Nappa blew up
Woudn't this have fallen under the "killed by Freeza and his men" wish? If I recall correctly, regardless of what Vegeta's intentions were at this point, wasn't Nappa still bringing up selling the planet?
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Storm
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Storm » Tue Mar 18, 2014 2:55 pm

It's possible. It's never really addressed though, and I can't look on hand, but the wish might have been Namek-specific.