What happens when you die?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Legendary Saiya-Jin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

What happens when you die?

Post by Legendary Saiya-Jin » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:15 am

Are only evil souls reincarnated? Or are good ones, too? If not, what happens to the good souls? If I remember correctly, wasn't it only in special cases that good people were allowed to keep their bodies in the Afterlife? What do you think happened to all of the main cast that died in the future timeline?

Hitiro
I Live Here

Re: What happens when you die?

Post by Hitiro » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:30 am

All souls should get reincarnated except for special cases like Goku who have saved the world/worlds/galaxy/universe. I assume there is a time period before you can get reincarnated otherwise Vegeta wouldn't have been brought back to help Goku. And people like Kuririn wouldn't have been able to come back after they died on Namek. It's probably something like several years until you can't be brought back. For the main cast of the future timeline? All the Z senshi would be up in heaven with their original bodies I assume as they've all saved Earth in some fashion.

What I'm more curious about is reincarnations of previous villains. I wonder if they retain their power like Oob did? Or perhaps that was a special request by Goku to Enma Daio.

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:02 am

It depends whether it's the manga or the anime continuity.

deadguy366

Post by deadguy366 » Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:37 pm

Hitiro wrote:What I'm more curious about is reincarnations of previous villains. I wonder if they retain their power like Oob did? Or perhaps that was a special request by Goku to Enma Daio.
My guess is they would retain their power as 'hidden' power, but they are completely unaware of this so they rarely end up unlocking it. Kind of like how most humans are able to fly but they consider it something impossible so they would never attempt it in the first place.

Pantalones
Advanced Regular

Post by Pantalones » Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:22 pm

I vaguely remember a fanfic years ago where Freeza's soul got reincarnated into a newborn Namekian child, and as a result he was born with freakishly high power and Piccolo ended up having to raise the kid and keep him from going bad (with the whole "power corrupts" thing and all.) Yeah, kinda random, but that's what the topic reminded me of.

But yeah... having the old villains' ki carry over as "dormant/hidden power" in the body their soul ends up with after being reincarnated would make sense. I think Uub was a special case only in that he was reincarnated immediately (usually there's a waiting period before souls are put through the cleansing machine and reincarnated) and specifically put on Earth so Goku would be able to encounter him in the future, rather than being put on whatever random planet had a kid being born at that moment.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:23 pm

Only bad guys get reincarnated. Good guys go to heaven. Specials cases like Goku get to also keep their bodies in the afterlife.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:19 pm

rereboy wrote:Only bad guys get reincarnated. Good guys go to heaven. Specials cases like Goku get to also keep their bodies in the afterlife.
Is this 100% concrete? Because it could be possible that people who go to heaven are reincarnated eventually, and just chill in heaven while they wait to do so.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:00 am

Saiga wrote:
rereboy wrote:Only bad guys get reincarnated. Good guys go to heaven. Specials cases like Goku get to also keep their bodies in the afterlife.
Is this 100% concrete? Because it could be possible that people who go to heaven are reincarnated eventually, and just chill in heaven while they wait to do so.
Logically, good guys might not "need" to reincarnate since the Kais are tasked with creating new planets and new life anyway.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Thu Apr 17, 2014 9:11 am

Varies. Because Grandpa Gohan kept his body, and he was just a normal martial artist. I guess one could say by him taking care of Goku and dropping him on his head, he inadvertently saved the world, but whatever.

Manga wise, Yes all the villains and anyone else who wasn't a martyr have their souls taken from their bodies to be reincarnated later, except for Vegeta that one time

Legendary Saiya-Jin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Legendary Saiya-Jin » Thu Apr 17, 2014 11:58 am

I feel stupid for asking this, but is there really a Heaven for the good souls to go to? I was under the impression that even good souls get reincarnated unless they're like Goku.

Btw, does anyone know of any specific quotes that explain or prove what happens to the dead in the manga? I don't remember seeing any when I read it through recently.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:11 pm

I think the normal souls in heaven likely get reincarnated as well. I think in Trunks/Cell timeline that Goku and the others stay on King Kai's Planet while Vegeta was sent to Hell and his soul was later reincarnated. In the anime, Vegeta was most likely sent to Hell with a body and spent most of his time there forever.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Thu Apr 17, 2014 7:51 pm

Saiga wrote:
I think so. I think reincarnation is only ever mentioned regarding bad guys, and never implied regarding good guys. Obviously, the manga is not very explicit in these matters, but I think that's what the manga implies and tells us: bad guys go to hell without a body and reincarnate, good guys go to heaven and stay there, special good guys get to keep their bodies besides being in heaven.

Goku, for example, or any other good guy, are never mentioned as a special case that doesn't have to reincarnate even though it was supposed to. The only special thing implied about them is the fact that they keep their bodies, not the fact that they don't reincarnate.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Fri Apr 18, 2014 3:32 pm

Marco Polo wrote:It depends whether it's the manga or the anime continuity.
Well even Piccolo said in the anime that once Vegeta goes to other world, he won't have a body, therefore it's best to just ignore filler that contradicts the main story because the manga/anime virtually have the same continuity only at different paces.

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:45 pm

Legendary Saiya-Jin wrote:
I feel stupid for asking this, but is there really a Heaven for the good souls to go to? I was under the impression that even good souls get reincarnated unless they're like Goku.

Btw, does anyone know of any specific quotes that explain or prove what happens to the dead in the manga? I don't remember seeing any when I read it through recently.
Piccolo explains how it works to Vegeta just before Vegeta self destructs.

rereboy
Namekian Warrior

Post by rereboy » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:28 pm

dbgtFO wrote:
Legendary Saiya-Jin wrote:

Piccolo explains how it works to Vegeta just before Vegeta self destructs.
Yes.