Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ultimateemail5000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball Z "Seasons" On Blu-ray: News & Discussion

Post by ultimateemail5000 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:34 pm

I am not sure if it is just my Best Buy or what. But today they were having a 20 dollar off if you apply for a credit card. Even if you are declined you still get the twenty off, so I was able to pick up season 2 brand new for 6 dollars. I still need to get 1 and 3.

Kendamu
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kendamu » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:37 am

ultimateemail5000 wrote:I am not sure if it is just my Best Buy or what. But today they were having a 20 dollar off if you apply for a credit card. Even if you are declined you still get the twenty off, so I was able to pick up season 2 brand new for 6 dollars. I still need to get 1 and 3.
They all do that. The coupon is supposed to be for specific items and for purchases over $50, but some stores (like mine) aren't so strict on what's being purchased as long as the total is over $50.
(they/she)

My Martial Arts Website -- https://mybudo.carrd.co

SSJ Electric Fury
Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ Electric Fury » Sun Apr 20, 2014 12:11 pm

Does anyone know what happened with Season 2 on Amazon; what the issue supposedly was? This occurrence was brought up earlier in this thread, but I didn't see mention of a specific cause.
"You can't make up for your mistakes when you're dead." - Irina Akulov, Xenoblade [Chronicles] X
ringworm128 wrote:

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:54 pm

SSJ Electric Fury wrote:Does anyone know what happened with Season 2 on Amazon; what the issue supposedly was? This occurrence was brought up earlier in this thread, but I didn't see mention of a specific cause.
I'm not sure but nobody should order it just yet because it says it'll be In stock on April 23, 2014.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GS4 ... d_i=507846
This actually makes the 2nd time this has happened with these season sets. and ever since the 1st time with season 1, the price never dropped down below $20 again. I'm betting the same is going to happen with S2. then season 3. lol
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 9:54 pm

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnd I was wrong. :P :lol: :lol: Season 2 is back up for $16.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:28 am

I'm highly interested seeing how the Blu-rays of Seasons 7-9 will look in comparison to the Orange Bricks 7-9, by this time they looked very good rather than.. um, ya know.

Screens of OB#7 by MetalWario:

That first screenshot with Goku's base hair while having the Super Saiyan aura looks pretty cool, even though that was a mistake (I think).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Post by IGhostUlt » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:08 pm

After reading this whole topic for 3 weeks, i realized a lot of are guys are just plain hating on this release. This blu ray set was to give dbz the modern digital look that anime has today and it's done a brilliant job doing it. Not that old grainy, gate weave stuff that a lot of y'all want. We already have all of that already.

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:17 pm

IGhostUlt wrote:After reading this whole topic for 3 weeks, i realized a lot of are guys are just plain hating on this release. This blu ray set was to give dbz the modern digital look that anime has today and it's done a brilliant job doing it. Not that old grainy, gate weave stuff that a lot of y'all want. We already have all of that already.
While I agree some people do hate on this release a little ''Too hard'' but most of the criticisms are justified. There's no need for Funimation to crop something into 16x9 format just to give it a ''New!'' look. They have never cropped another release that I'm aware of so why do it to Dragon ball? I actually like this set a-lot. I'm glad that it's not over-saturated(too crazy) like the OB's. and stuff isn't getting deleted off the screen.
#1 Paikuhan fan!

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:33 pm

IGhostUlt wrote:This blu ray set was to give dbz the modern digital look that anime has today and it's done a brilliant job doing it. Not that old grainy, gate weave stuff that a lot of y'all want. We already have all of that already.
Where? Where do we have it? The canceled, incomplete single discs? The canceled, incomplete "level" sets? The limited-print FUNiBoxes that nobody can buy anymore?

The "modern" releases outnumber the stuff you're claiming we already have. Everyone's complaints are justified.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Thu Apr 24, 2014 8:52 pm

MagicBox wrote:
IGhostUlt wrote:This blu ray set was to give dbz the modern digital look that anime has today and it's done a brilliant job doing it. Not that old grainy, gate weave stuff that a lot of y'all want. We already have all of that already.
Where? Where do we have it? The canceled, incomplete single discs? The canceled, incomplete "level" sets? The limited-print FUNiBoxes that nobody can buy anymore?

The "modern" releases outnumber the stuff you're claiming we already have. Everyone's complaints are justified.
That's the heart of the matter, really; it would not really matter how good these (perfectly watchable) releases were. There are people who missed the Dragon Boxes (Inevitable) who would like to watch the show in 4:3 without scrubbing, and they can't do that without tracking down single discs in 2014.

Fact that Funimation's seemed to equate those who want 4:3 with the "hardest of the core" (Read: Section of the fanbase that sees through our nonsense and thus we cannot profitably satisfy), if we take the line in their Kanzenshuu response to its coldest possible extreme, means that Funi has somehow turned something as trivial as the original aspect ratio into a matter of fanaticism- and one that is only remotely effective because of DBZ's magnificent overstepping of the anime acceptance barrier. It's a freak relic of the standard 4:3 cropping of theatrical movies all over again, from company that's as far removed from that era as anyone other publisher in any other property they touch.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

theoriginalbilis
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by theoriginalbilis » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:20 pm

MagicBox wrote:

MagicBox made the exact point I was about to state... Of course a lot of us think the release is sub-par; but we'd be a lot less upset (and perhaps more receptive to the Blu-Rays) if FUNimation didn't cancel or discontinue release that the hardcore fanbase wanted and was happy to support. If FUNi at least kept the Dragon Boxes in print, most of us on this forum wouldn't even mind that these sets are being released.

To many, it feels like FUNimation is phasing out the original 4:3 presentation, and will only allow the 16:9 cropped versions to be the ONLY version of Dragon Ball Z available to English-speaking territories.

That's our gripe. Many consumers don't even have an option now, unless you're willing to spend ridiculous amounts of money on the second-hand market or buy raw untranslated Japanese DVDs. It's 16:9 or nothing.

As a matter of fact, I don't necessarily dislike the actual remastering itself; it's the cropping that bothers me. I'd be willing to buy a 4:3 Blu-Ray release of this remaster if one was ever commissioned. Also, I legally purchased the first two of these Blu-Ray seasons, gave it a chance, and decided that overall, it's not that great of a product, and is not really worth it if you already own the Dragon Boxes, Kai, or the Orange Bricks...

My opinion is valid, bro.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Post by IGhostUlt » Thu Apr 24, 2014 10:57 pm

I understand that there is a limited supply of dragon boxes, but from what i've seen a lot of the haters already have the dragon boxes. Oh and I can understand the aspect ratio part, although it doesn't bother me that much.
Last edited by IGhostUlt on Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:08 am

IGhostUlt wrote:I understand that there is a limited supply of dragon boxes, but from what i've seen a lot of the haters already have the dragon boxes. Oh and I can understand the aspect ratio part, although it doesn't bother me that much.
Well, it would make sense that people who have the Dragon Boxes would put forth an analysis based on empiricism; they have the ability to finely compare the two.
I'm buying these sets regardless, I know they are terribly flawed from a faithful point of view, but that just makes them unique.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:40 am

IGhostUlt wrote:After reading this whole topic for 3 weeks, i realized a lot of are guys are just plain hating on this release. This blu ray set was to give dbz the modern digital look that anime has today and it's done a brilliant job doing it. Not that old grainy, gate weave stuff that a lot of y'all want. We already have all of that already.
Really?

We do have 4 releases of which 3 are incomplete due to their cancellations minus one of them covering uncut from later Freeza-Boo, while the other one was only available for a limited time.

Dragon Ball Z: Singles (Later Freeza to Majin Boo)
Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Uncut Edition (Cancelled)
Dragon Ball Z: Dragon Box Z (Limited Edition)
Dragon Ball Z: Levels (Cancelled)

I guess you can say that we do have one actually in its complete form but it's out of print so for many people that's not an option, and to be spending hundreds then it'd just be better to go with the original Japanese Dragon Boxes Z.
samuraix123 wrote:While I agree some people do hate on this release a little ''Too hard'' but most of the criticisms are justified. There's no need for Funimation to crop something into 16x9 format just to give it a ''New!'' look. They have never cropped another release that I'm aware of so why do it to Dragon ball? I actually like this set a-lot. I'm glad that it's not over-saturated(too crazy) like the OB's. and stuff isn't getting deleted off the screen.
Well, with cropping comes deleting stuff off the screen.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

dan2026
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dan2026 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:54 am

Funimation's guide to a perfect DBZ Blu-ray release;

- DNR the shit out of it. Bye-bye grain, bye-bye detail.

- Crop to 16:9. Who wants to see the whole picture anyway?

Joking aside, these two points alone make this an absolutely terrible Blu-ray release.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:57 am

So, is there any significant detail loss in these? And also, does the cropping cut anything significant?
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:02 am

It doesn't look like a "digital" anime at all. it just looks smudged with completely all over the place colors and random patches of grain around edges. Kai does a much better job of "modernizing" the footage.

Besides, what's wrong with an old show looking... old?
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:51 am

dan2026 wrote:Funimation's guide to a perfect DBZ Blu-ray release;

- DNR the shit out of it. Bye-bye grain, bye-bye detail.

- Crop to 16:9. Who wants to see the whole picture anyway?

Joking aside, these two points alone make this an absolutely terrible Blu-ray release.
Seeing how FUNimation makes millions from these Dragon Ball Z re-releases the time may've come that Toei Animation decided to take FUNimation's remastering lessons, and as for the result? Take a look at Dragon Ball Kai: Majin Boo arc episodes.

Comparison of Dragon Box Z Vs. Dragon Ball Kai's Majin Boo arc HD remastering below.
kei17 wrote:Toei have embraced the crushed blacks cult.

Hope this isn't what Dragon Ball Z would look like if Toei Animation were to remaster it properly. :(
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:19 am

IGhostUlt wrote:After reading this whole topic for 3 weeks, i realized a lot of are guys are just plain hating on this release.
I don't think that the people who have some arguments to back up their opinions are just simple haters.
IGhostUlt wrote:This blu ray set was to give dbz the modern digital look that anime has today and it's done a brilliant job doing it.
In my humble opinion, they gave us a pile of shit. Show me some examples of modern anime shows which look like season blu-rays and I will change my mind. Excluding the remastering quality, show me a home video release of some new show that misses ~15-20% of the original footage and has artificial camera pans added to it.
IGhostUlt wrote:Not that old grainy, gate weave stuff that a lot of y'all want. We already have all of that already.
Where can I get old grainy, gate weave stuff on blu-ray? :D
But seriously, as long as there is only one blu-ray release, entire fanbase has a right to consider this to be a product targeted towards them. This is the only reason I'm even discussing about this release.
theoriginalbilis wrote:If FUNi at least kept the Dragon Boxes in print, most of us on this forum wouldn't even mind that these sets are being released.
Others would not be satisfied because their main purpose is just an update from SD to HD. Some of us just want to see this classic animation in HD. And yes - as long as I have an alternative, I can even support cropped releases if my friends want them.
theoriginalbilis wrote:As a matter of fact, I don't necessarily dislike the actual remastering itself; it's the cropping that bothers me.
IIRC, there are people who don't mind cropping but they strongly dislike the remastering quality.
dbboxkaifan wrote:Seeing how FUNimation makes millions from these Dragon Ball Z re-releases the time may've come that Toei Animation decided to take FUNimation's remastering lessons, and as for the result?
That's my biggest concern since I understood how popular and widely accepted FUNimation's ideas are...

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:42 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:Seeing how FUNimation makes millions from these Dragon Ball Z re-releases the time may've come that Toei Animation decided to take FUNimation's remastering lessons, and as for the result? Take a look at Dragon Ball Kai: Majin Boo arc episodes.

Comparison of Dragon Box Z Vs. Dragon Ball Kai's Majin Boo arc HD remastering below.
kei17 wrote:Toei have embraced the crushed blacks cult.

Hope this isn't what Dragon Ball Z would look like if Toei Animation were to remaster it properly. :(
Kai looks leagues better than the Blu-Rays. It just needs a little colour correction.