Dragonball guidebooks question

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Dragonball guidebooks question

Post by TheGmGoken » Mon Apr 28, 2014 3:31 pm

I'm curious the Db guidebooks how well do they sell in Japan and how popular are they? Did they not make a profit for a worldwide releases? Have something ever been mentioned in guidebooks first and then make it to the manga or anime?

Bonus question:
What's your favorite guidebook?

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: Dragonball guidebooks question

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:13 pm

I think the biggest issue with guidebooks outside Japan is the licensing issue since most cover both anime and manga material. This is mostly for the US though, since I know some countries have released a couple of them (Spain or France?)...

As for details revealed in guidebooks that were added into the series later, the only thing I can think of was the Adventure Special (I think?) telling us that Tao Pai Pai wasn't dead before he came back as a cyborg in the 23rd Budokai.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Raykugen
Regular

Post by Raykugen » Mon Apr 28, 2014 4:23 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I think the biggest issue with guidebooks outside Japan is the licensing issue since most cover both anime and manga material. This is mostly for the US though, since I know some countries have released a couple of them (Spain or France?)...

As for details revealed in guidebooks that were added into the series later, the only thing I can think of was the Adventure Special (I think?) telling us that Tao Pai Pai wasn't dead before he came back as a cyborg in the 23rd Budokai.
France released Landmark, Forever, Son Goku Densetsu, and Daizenshuus 1 and 7

Spain released Landmark, Forever, first Daizenshuu, first chozenshuu, and chozenshuus 2/4 + chogashuu are confirmed to be released.
Do you want NEW GENERATION DRAGON BALL (Z, GT..) IMAGES? In HQ? Of all characters? Click here: http://daizex.fanboyreview.net/viewtopic.php?t=17178
My Deviantart: http://raykugen.deviantart.com/
Dragon Ball Characters Project Deviantart: http://dbcproject.deviantart.com/

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Apr 28, 2014 5:51 pm

Daizenshuu 1 was released in Denmark.
Satan wrote:Lortedrøm! Bøh slog min datter ihjel! Hvad bilder du dig ind, Bøh?! Nu kommer Super-Satan og rydder op!

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:56 am

Daizenshuu 1 was also released in the US. It's got to be supply and demand. Viz won't even do a print release of the full color manga for the entire series, so getting a guidebook translated and released seems even less likely.

If you research how often the DC and Marvel Encyclopedia's and "Definitive" Guides are translated it would give you some perspective. Just consider this, until you got on this forum or other such forums were you even aware the Daizenshuu existed?
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:59 am

Well I knew and didn't knew. My older brother had them but I thought they was fanmade :oops: . As some facts he told me I didn't believe as they wasn't in the manga

Kakarot88
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakarot88 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:08 am

TheGmGoken wrote:Well I knew and didn't knew. My older brother had them but I thought they was fanmade :oops: . As some facts he told me I didn't believe as they wasn't in the manga
That's what's up! I thought GT was a bootleg series myself lol... As far as guidebooks go I personally had no clue they existed until I saw some on eBay a few years ago and then did some research, but it made sense to me as I had a bunch for Superman and DC in general.
"You might think you know everything there is to know about me, but really, you're not even CLOSE."

"Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy." ~ Sir Winston Chruchill / Dragon Ball Z in a nutshell

How I enjoy the anime:

RocktheDragon
Regular

Post by RocktheDragon » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:03 pm

Kakarot88 wrote:Daizenshuu 1 was also released in the US. It's got to be supply and demand. Viz won't even do a print release of the full color manga for the entire series, so getting a guidebook translated and released seems even less likely.

If you research how often the DC and Marvel Encyclopedia's and "Definitive" Guides are translated it would give you some perspective. Just consider this, until you got on this forum or other such forums were you even aware the Daizenshuu existed?
Color me surprised as well. I had totally forgotten that Daizenshuu 1 saw any release in N.A. :D
Kyle Broflovski wrote:It's all real. Think about it. Haven't Luke Skywalker and Santa Claus affected your lives more than most real people in this room? I mean, whether Jesus is real or not, he - he's had a bigger impact on the world than any of us have. And the same can be said for Bugs Bunny and - and Superman and Harry Potter. They've changed my life - changed the way I act on the earth. Doesn't that make them kind of real? They might be imaginary but, but they're more important than most of us here. And they're all gonna be around here long after we're dead. So, in a way, those things are more realer than any of us.