Nuthin' like arguing with a 16-year-old

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Nuthin' like arguing with a 16-year-old

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:34 pm

http://animenation.net/forums/showthrea ... enumber=17

Man, I miss these days. OK, so I don't. In the least. But it's fucking hilarious.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:38 pm

Ahahahaha... Owned.

Seriously, I'm going to keep my eyes on that for a while... :D

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Wed Mar 31, 2004 10:02 pm

*laughs* Oh my god, he's calling you a FUNi lover? He either doesn't know you or is ignorant.

Or both.

Professor Daravon
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Professor Daravon » Thu Apr 01, 2004 3:31 am

Not that it matters all that much, but I still want to say that, as Levon said, Gundam really is a whole different story. I would be shocked if Bandai didn't rerelease the series on hybrid DVDs if they ever got the Japanese audio tracks. Of course, I'll also be pretty shocked if they get the Japanese audio tracks, so...

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Apr 01, 2004 11:34 am

Wow! How about that EX? You're a Funimation lover! Good point about Bandai. There are definitely a lot of series that have it worse out there. Look at Sailor Moon, yeah we finally got the first two seasons in Japanese uncut, but still with missing episodes and with a mono soundtrack. And as things look, North America will never see Sailor Stars over here in any form, let alone uncut in Japanese. It just goes to show that sometimes fans are listened to.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Apr 01, 2004 12:27 pm

It's true; there are so many series that have it so much worse off than DBZ. I'm not saying you have to love the dub, but for Christ's sake... take a step back and realize what you actually HAVE compared to other fans.

At least you GET your show on DVD.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Apr 01, 2004 1:12 pm

At least you GET your show on DVD.
So true.

Another thing I forgot to mention was the fact that now ADV has decided not to renew their license on the first two Sailor Moon seasons. More trouble than it's worth I guess. As a matter of fact, the license ends today. That means the only copies that are left are what retailers still have in stock. I didn't feel like having to plunk down money for the second box set right at this moment in time, but I was too paranoid about waiting and the finding it was really hard to get a copy. Granted, at least I got a good deal over at Right Stuf, $49.99 US as opposed to $150 CAN here at Future Shop, but still, it doesn't mean I can necessarily afford even that right now. How about AnimEigo, who release their limited edition box sets of Urusei Yatsura, but you can only buy it directly from them! Then I'm expected to have to pay $100-plus for four volumes right now, cause they'll be gone and once they are, then that's my tough luck! I'll just have to buy them individually. I think that anime fans really need to actually check the prices and distribution of anime from all the different companies and then maybe it would open their eyes a little more. I don't know, maybe it's beacuse I live in Canada and anime is twice as expensive here, if that's possible. :? I completely agree with you EX about taking a look at what you actually have. I can pretty much garauntee that DBZ fans won't have to worry about that kind of thing from Funi when the redone sagas come out. Thank goodness! :wink:
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

tablet the eunuch
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by tablet the eunuch » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:03 pm

It's not that they can't renew their license, toei just wont let htem.

Honestly, hoping cloverway/Geneon get it and redo them.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:22 pm

Atleast back in the old days the characters talked without crapping their pants, atleast they talked as if they where in a serious cartoon and not a joke
He's right. They never, ever added misplaced humour in early episodes of the show. Never. Ever. Why, "I like Soap Operas" was in the original. And Nappa complaining that the news "stunk". And of course, that three-eyed cowboy going for one...last...ride.

How on earth from reading Viz's manga has he come to the conclusion that "Freeza" should be spelt "Furiiza"? Has he deciphered some sort of hidden code? Or is he reading the original Japanese manga? Not that that would make any sense, since that would still translate out as "Freeza". (Er, I assume.)

Ask him how he spells the name of the main character. If he goes for "Gokou", then you can laugh even louder. (And I love how someone earlier on in that thread went for the uber-kewl otaku "Gokou" name, but also used "Tien". Maximum points...OF STUPIDITY!)

Mugenmidget
Regular

Post by Mugenmidget » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:24 pm

Not to be an ass but here's the typos I found on VegettoEX's part. By the way, I'm not listing anybody else's for obvious reasons. OK HERE GOES:

hyprocrisy (hypocrisy)

Well I'm ashamed at you.

PsyLiam
I Live Here

Post by PsyLiam » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:38 pm

That was a typo. Most of the mistakes made by others there are just the result of awful spelling.

I am going to hunt down and kill everyone who spells it "ridiculous". I am.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Thu Apr 01, 2004 9:48 pm

oh lord "Furiiza"

dear lord people what you think hes FURRY or something?

The katakana system isnt exact sound but an aproximation, it doesnt take a Japanese expert to know that (I've got near a year behind me and I know this...)

Freezer or Freeeza would both be appropriate translations considering the authors intention is a cold metaphor because he doesnt like the cold. So Freeza, and Freezer are really the only two correct romanizations in terms of what the AUTHOR was trying to convey.
-Laserkid

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:19 am

It's great that they are going back to rerelease and everything, though in all honesty it isn't just for hardcore fans. There are also kids that want to see what was taken out, since there's a lot of lure there, and since the Saiyajin saga hasn't really been show on CN in a long time, I figure it'd probably get a lot of curiosity from generl obsesed fans.
This just strikes me as funny. The average kid hasn't been "enlightened" by the DBZOA or anything, and probably doesn't know (or care) what they're missing. Just from hanging around kids every now and then, I know that the idea of other versions besides what airs on TV probably doesn't cross their minds, and they seem quite content with what they've seen.

Also, the Saiya-jin Saga has been airing on CN this week.

Sun_Wukong
I Live Here

Post by Sun_Wukong » Mon Apr 05, 2004 3:57 pm

God, ignorant people piss me off. DBZ fans should be grateful that FUNimation is actually giving us a subtitled version at all.All I can say is, look at Shaman King. With 4kids handiling it, itll probably never get a proper dvd release.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:24 pm

Amen to that