So MLP Just Went DBZ....

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: So MLP Just Went DBZ....

Post by ABED » Sun May 11, 2014 1:59 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
ABED wrote:
Took the words right outta my mouth. Honestly, we're on a forum dedicated to a Japanese childrens' show that starts out as juvenile fart-jokes and ends up being basically about muscular guys punching each other through mountains. Is a cartoon about multi-colored ponies really that much more ridiculous?
Yes, especially if you're not a pre-pubescent girl. First off, farts are always funny, and fights don't stop being cool even into adulthood. I know we're supposed to be accepting of all cultures, but I find Bronies to be weird.
You shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. Like I've said, the show is very-well written and beats DBZ in pretty much every category. You should watch the fight scene I'm talking about if you want to dispel any thoughts you have on MLP being only for little girls.

If you can put up with DBZ's amateurish writing, then I'm sure you'll be able to actually appreciate MLP's writing if you give it a chance.
It didn't dispel my thoughts, it was one enjoyable scene in a show called My little pony: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC!

And no, that fight wasn't better than every fight in DBZ.

I never claimed DB's story was deep. That's not why I watch it, I just want to sit back and enjoy fun characters, cool fights, and humor. DB and DBZ has those in spades.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Sun May 11, 2014 2:00 pm

ABED wrote:
Took the words right outta my mouth. Honestly, we're on a forum dedicated to a Japanese childrens' show that starts out as juvenile fart-jokes and ends up being basically about muscular guys punching each other through mountains. Is a cartoon about multi-colored ponies really that much more ridiculous?
Yes, especially if you're not a pre-pubescent girl. First off, farts are always funny, and fights don't stop being cool even into adulthood. I know we're supposed to be accepting of all cultures, but I find Bronies to be weird.
Target audiences are completely irrelevant. What matters is the quality of a work. Whether it's well written, well directed, well acted, well animated, and so on and so forth. As long as the staff genuinely do a good job with it and manage to create something that can be enjoyed by a large group of people, what does it even matter who it's technically aimed at?
Also Lauren Faust, the original excecutive producer of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, said that she did not make the show JUST for little girls, but for little girls AND their parents.
Sin wrote:I'd definitely say this is a homage, and I've never seen a clip of MLP in my life. I have to ask, as I've never watched it, is this what the show is usually like? I mean with fights and the DBZ-esque battles?
Nah, this is easily the single flashiest moment in the series so far. Aside from the season-openers and endings, the show is usually just a slice-of-life show in a fantasy setting.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun May 11, 2014 2:01 pm

Sin wrote:I'd definitely say this is a homage, and I've never seen a clip of MLP in my life. I have to ask, as I've never watched it, is this what the show is usually like? I mean with fights and the DBZ-esque battles?
Not usually, no.
Khalid Shahin wrote:
Dragon Soul Funimation Lyrics wrote:Nothing ever dies; we will rise again!
Yeah, pretty much sums the show up right there.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 11, 2014 2:02 pm

Why is this becoming a Mlp vs DBZ topic. Its to look at DB homages in that fight. Not even the topic creator is on topics.

I'm a MLP fan as well. But it ranks 674 in my cartoon-anime list. That fight made me change it from 845. Kinda cool. Wasn't on par with Db but pretty decent I guess. Got bored of it though after the first minute.

Also Abed there is nothing wrong with being a MLP fan, I'm one,

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 11, 2014 2:06 pm

First, why do some on this forum decrease the size of their text? It's annoying, and hard to read. Second, you can act well, and even have good stories, but if they don't appeal to me, what do those things matter? I'm sure Godfather 2 is well written, but I don't care about the mafia, nor do I care about how "friendship is magic." Lastly, I'm neither a little girl, or a parent, so I'm completely not interested in it. And clearly thatdbzguy is constantly using this reference because he knows it will bother people.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun May 11, 2014 2:08 pm

ABED wrote:It didn't dispel my thoughts, it was one enjoyable scene in a show called My little pony: FRIENDSHIP IS MAGIC!

And no, that fight wasn't better than every fight in DBZ.

I never claimed DB's story was deep. That's not why I watch it, I just want to sit back and enjoy fun characters, cool fights, and humor. DB and DBZ has those in spades.
The fact that you enjoyed it despite you thinking it's strictly made for little girls should tell you something.

How was it not? It had possibly the best animation in any cartoon ever and better pacing.

I never said you did, I just said that you could put up with its amateurish writing. And if you want fun characters and humor, than MLP should be right up your alley.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun May 11, 2014 2:11 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:Why is this becoming a Mlp vs DBZ topic. Its to look at DB homages in that fight. Not even the topic creator is on topics.
I did ask that question as my opener, but I didn't mean for it to restrict the topic to just that. As long as we're still discussing both MLP and DBZ, I'm fine with whatever direction the thread takes.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

Patrick
Beyond Newbie

Post by Patrick » Sun May 11, 2014 2:14 pm

How was it not? It had possibly the best animation in any cartoon ever and better pacing.
The animation in the show looks like every other 2010 cartoon in existence on Teletoon and Cartoon Network. It's nothing special, and I'm pretty sure pacing is irrelevant if the show is in an episodic format as opposed to a story-based one.
Zephyr wrote:Toriyama's not breaking into everyone's homes and editing your copy of the manga with a pen to include Goku's mom and this "blasphemous" information about her.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 11, 2014 2:15 pm

So what does have to do with MLP homage to DBZ? Whenever you watch it or not is irrelevant. Watch the clip. Talk bout it. Compare the fighting style. Simple

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Sun May 11, 2014 2:16 pm

The fact that you enjoyed it despite you thinking it's strictly made for little girls should tell you something.
Yeah, that I enjoyed a scene that was an homage to something I like, nothing more.

No it doesn't, plenty of cartoons look better. Anything from the DCAU for one, and when DB is on its game, it looks way better.
The animation in the show looks like every other 2010 cartoon in existence on Teletoon and Cartoon Network. It's nothing special, and I'm pretty sure pacing is irrelevant if the show is in an episodic format as opposed to a story-based one.
Thank you!

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 11, 2014 2:18 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
TheGmGoken wrote:Why is this becoming a Mlp vs DBZ topic. Its to look at DB homages in that fight. Not even the topic creator is on topics.
I did ask that question as my opener, but I didn't mean for it to restrict the topic to just that. As long as we're still discussing both MLP and DBZ, I'm fine with whatever direction the thread takes.
Then please rename your topic and edit your opening post to ensure people understand that. From your topic name, OP, and the first few posts I thought this was a homage topic. If you can't stay in topic on a topic you created then simply edit it.

superfunk
Not-So-Newbie

Post by superfunk » Sun May 11, 2014 2:37 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:I'm a MLP fan as well. But it ranks 674 in my cartoon-anime list. That fight made me change it from 845. Kinda cool. Wasn't on par with Db but pretty decent I guess. Got bored of it though after the first minute.

You have watched at least 845 different cartoons/anime? or am I not understanding what you are saying? cause shit, I doubt I could even name two hundred that I have heard of, let alone watched.

Is MLP episodic or serialized? if episodic, I doubt it has better characters and a better story than DBZ.
@thatdbzguy, Is there any show that you think(will admit to) has worse writing than DBZ?

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun May 11, 2014 2:38 pm

Patrick wrote: The animation in the show looks like every other 2010 cartoon in existence on Teletoon and Cartoon Network. It's nothing special, and I'm pretty sure pacing is irrelevant if the show is in an episodic format as opposed to a story-based one.
Have you watched the episode? Or the fight, at least? The beams alone are downright gorgeous and really fluid. Twilight's ruined library looked especially great, too.

And to be fair, this was sort of a story-based format. The season finale was a two-parter.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sun May 11, 2014 2:39 pm

This reminded me of the fan project DBZ Absalon tbh animation and effect wise... Which is not a good thing.
Last edited by sangofe on Mon May 12, 2014 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun May 11, 2014 2:40 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sH5oPZ1Bk7g (Here's a link to the fight, for those curious.)
This was more tedious than watching an episode of Big Bang Theory and they're outright horrible.

Yeah, they were making an homage to Dragon Ball Z specifically but didn't look very interesting or action-packed (Yamucha Vs. Ten was much more entertaining and they didn't use much of beams for most of the fight).
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun May 11, 2014 2:43 pm

superfunk wrote:Is MLP episodic or serialized? if episodic, I doubt it has better characters and a better story than DBZ.
@thatdbzguy, Is there any show that you think(will admit to) has worse writing than DBZ?
It's usually episodic, but sometimes it'll have two-parters if you want to count those a serialized. In either format though, the stories are usually far better written than DBZ's, although admittedly, that doesn't say much.

For your second question, I'm not sure. Some may exist, but if they do, I haven't seen them myself. From what I have seen though, yeah, DBZ pretty much takes the cake for worst writing.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

superfunk
Not-So-Newbie

Post by superfunk » Sun May 11, 2014 2:48 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:
superfunk wrote:Is MLP episodic or serialized? if episodic, I doubt it has better characters and a better story than DBZ.
It's usually episodic, but sometimes it'll have two-parters if you want to count those a serialized. In either format though, the stories are usually far better written than DBZ's, although admittedly, that doesn't say much.

For your second question, I'm not sure. Some may exist, but if they do, I haven't seen them myself. From what I have seen though, yeah, DBZ pretty much takes the cake for worst writing.
Beginning to think you are just an elaborate troll :|

Patrick
Beyond Newbie

Post by Patrick » Sun May 11, 2014 2:49 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:Have you watched the episode? Or the fight, at least? The beams alone are downright gorgeous and really fluid. Twilight's ruined library looked especially great, too.

And to be fair, this was sort of a story-based format. The season finale was a two-parter.
Watched the fight at the very least, and while it's a homage to DBZ, the animation didn't look much better than the Iggy Arbuckle cartoon.

Just because it has a two-part episode, doesn't make it a story-based show in the least. Thousands of shows like Lost in Space, every single crime show in existence and several more I can't think of right now are in an episodic format, but have the occasional two-parter in the story in the series. That doesn't make the whole series a story-based show at all, not even close.
Zephyr wrote:Toriyama's not breaking into everyone's homes and editing your copy of the manga with a pen to include Goku's mom and this "blasphemous" information about her.

thatdbzguy
Banned

Post by thatdbzguy » Sun May 11, 2014 2:50 pm

Patrick wrote:
thatdbzguy wrote:Have you watched the episode? Or the fight, at least? The beams alone are downright gorgeous and really fluid. Twilight's ruined library looked especially great, too.

Watched the fight at the very least, and while it's a homage to DBZ, the animation didn't look much better than the Iggy Arbuckle cartoon.

Just because it has a two-part episode, doesn't make it a story-based show in the least. Thousands of shows like Lost in Space, every single crime show in existence and several more I can't think of right now are in an episodic format, but have the occasional two-parter in the story in the series. That doesn't make the whole series a story-based show at all, not even close.
I didn't mean to say that it makes the actual series in story-based format, just the two-parters.
superfunk wrote:Beginning to think you are just an elaborate troll :|
I get that a lot whenever I voice my opinions.
Khalid Shahin wrote:

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Sun May 11, 2014 2:57 pm

thatdbzguy wrote:

Really? Really? MLP isn't impressive at all. Do you even like Db?
thatdbzguy wrote:
Patrick wrote: The animation in the show looks like every other 2010 cartoon in existence on Teletoon and Cartoon Network. It's nothing special, and I'm pretty sure pacing is irrelevant if the show is in an episodic format as opposed to a story-based one.
Have you watched the episode? Or the fight, at least? The beams alone are downright gorgeous and really fluid. Twilight's ruined library looked especially great, too.

Those beams look worst than budokai 1 beams. Nothing special.