What direction do you think the series could/ will go in?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Re: What direction do you think the series could/ will go in

Post by Blade » Fri May 16, 2014 4:14 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Have Akira Toriyama keep on working on new movies and manga spin offs. If Toei does their own thing again then get ready for Broli 2.0 again.
It's highly plausible that Beerus could become the new Broli, especially in regard to how the character is over-used and overly relied upon to pose any sort of genuine threat.

I mean, I still find it ridiculous how the guy who created Broli was critical of a premise that involved a God of Destruction, when really as a concept it's no more bombastic than a Galaxy-busting Legendary Super Saiyan.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Legendary Saiya-Jin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Legendary Saiya-Jin » Fri May 16, 2014 7:43 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
Legendary Saiya-Jin wrote:With Battle of the Gods probably being canon, and the Jaco series, to an extent, providing more and more substance and expansion to DB's universe, where or how do you think Dragonball were to be followed if the series were to be canonically continued? What plot twists and turns would you envision occurring? Possible villains or problems that threaten Earth and/ or galaxies/ the universe itself? New adventures? Character developments? Perhaps some elements of Dragonball online would happen, maybe? New characters? I hope you get the gist. I'm curious what everyone thinks.

This isn't asking if you think this will actually happen.
Why are we still bringing up canon on here when it's been established that DB has no canon? That it's all up to the fan in the end to determine what is or isn't?
Because despite that mantra being thrown around by everyone but Akira himself, his manga and input is the source for everything. Everything else is secondary and has no say in the core production of the series. Akira Toriyama has proven this with DB: Minus.

Blade
I Live Here

Post by Blade » Fri May 16, 2014 9:28 am

Legendary Saiya-Jin wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:
Legendary Saiya-Jin wrote:With Battle of the Gods probably being canon, and the Jaco series, to an extent, providing more and more substance and expansion to DB's universe, where or how do you think Dragonball were to be followed if the series were to be canonically continued? What plot twists and turns would you envision occurring? Possible villains or problems that threaten Earth and/ or galaxies/ the universe itself? New adventures? Character developments? Perhaps some elements of Dragonball online would happen, maybe? New characters? I hope you get the gist. I'm curious what everyone thinks.

Why are we still bringing up canon on here when it's been established that DB has no canon? That it's all up to the fan in the end to determine what is or isn't?
Because despite that mantra being thrown around by everyone but Akira himself, his manga and input is the source for everything. Everything else is secondary and has no say in the core production of the series. Akira Toriyama has proven this with DB: Minus.
Right, and whilst that doesn't constitute as an affirmation or establishment of canon per say, it at least gives some indication as to what the guy who wrote the thing considers as being an actual part of his imagined world.
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Fri May 16, 2014 12:38 pm

Toei tends to rehash a lot of old ideas. If AT had nothing to do with BOG, Beerus would have been a brainless idiot similar to Broli and has a transformation that is super buff up. The other DBZ movies and GT rehash old ideas as well.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Blade
I Live Here

Post by Blade » Fri May 16, 2014 12:47 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:Toei tends to rehash a lot of old ideas. If AT had nothing to do with BOG, Beerus would have been a brainless idiot similar to Broli and has a transformation that is super buff up. The other DBZ movies and GT rehash old ideas as well.
But hey, Super Saiyan God would have gotten a super-neat cape!

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Fri May 16, 2014 4:51 pm

Legendary Saiya-Jin wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:

And yet, Minus turned out to be bullshit as it contradicts the manga severely, but this doesn't surprise me as Toriyama is extremely forgetful. Dragon Ball ended a long time ago. His thought process back then was that it was over after he ended the manga. All these retcons like DB minus are just for entertainment. I would place them in the alternate universe category with things such as the SSJ Bardock special.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri May 16, 2014 5:06 pm

What are you talking about? Dragon Ball Minus didn't have any contradictions.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Fri May 16, 2014 5:16 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:What are you talking about? Dragon Ball Minus didn't have any contradictions.
Yes it does. Goku was stated to be a baby when he was sent to earth. In minus, he is 3 years old.
Raditz in the manga asks what Goku has been doing all these years and why he hasn't fulfilled his task of destroying the earth when in Minus, Goku's parents clearly tell Raditz their intentions for him. To be honest. The already existing animated Bardock special makes a hell of a lot more sense then this Minus twist.
But just for Kanzenshuu's sake, let's twist these up to try and make it fit as always instead of considering plot hole after plot hole because we all know that Toriyama is perfect and that Minus is the "true" prequel to DB. I mean really dude, get real. This is the same guy who forgot about SSJ2 and SSJ3 and is going so far to ignore them with Goku's new power. In fact, I believe he also said that he thought that SSJ2 was SSJ3.
Last edited by OWmyDragonBallz on Fri May 16, 2014 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hitiro
I Live Here

Post by Hitiro » Fri May 16, 2014 5:22 pm

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Yes it does. Goku was stated to be a baby when he was sent to earth. In minus, he is 3 years old.
Raditz in the manga asks what Goku has been doing all these years and why he hasn't fulfilled his task of destroying the earth when in Minus, Goku's parents clearly tell Raditz their intentions for him.
But just for Kanzenshuu's sake, let's twist these up to try and make it fit as always instead of considering plot hole after plot hole because we all know that Toriyama is perfect and that Minus is the "true" prequel to DB.
In some cultures 3 year old is still considered a "baby." I can't speak for the rest of what you said because I haven't read DB Minus, though. My parents often call kids around 3 years old, babies.
Last edited by Hitiro on Fri May 16, 2014 5:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Fri May 16, 2014 5:23 pm

He is a 3 year old baby. He is even referred as a baby in Minus.

Bardock & Gine couldn't tell their true intentions to Raditz, because Freeza would have heard everything, since they could only talk through scouters. Which is why Raditz thought that Goku was in a mission: they lied to him so that he can know his location.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Fri May 16, 2014 5:30 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:He is a 3 year old baby. He is even referred as a baby in Minus.

Bardock & Gine couldn't tell their true intentions to Raditz, because Freeza would have heard everything, since they could only talk through scouters. Which is why Raditz thought that Goku was in a mission: they lied to him so that he can know his location.
Still though, Toriyama didn't put any originality into Minus. It seems like a giant Superman rip off.
The animated Bardock special seems to make a hell of a lot more sense. But I guess to be fair, that's in the Anime's continuity while Minus can be in the manga's if you truly want to take it literal to the manga's. But both versions still give off the same message that Goku was sent to earth as a kid to avoid Freeza. The outcome was the same, but the way they went about it was a bit different.

Saiga
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Saiga » Sat May 17, 2014 2:52 am

Blade wrote: I mean, I still find it ridiculous how the guy who created Broli was critical of a premise that involved a God of Destruction, when really as a concept it's no more bombastic than a Galaxy-busting Legendary Super Saiyan.
Even more so when several official materials refer to Broli himself as "God of Destruction".

Beerus being the new Broli could very well be the case.
I'm re-watching Dragon Ball GT in full on my blog. Check it out if you're interested in my thoughts on the series as I watch through it!

DieHard
Banned

Post by DieHard » Sat May 17, 2014 2:56 am

OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Still though, Toriyama didn't put any originality into Minus. It seems like a giant Superman rip off.
Cuz being an alien of an species which planet was destroyed with only other 3 survivors who visit earth wasnt already a ripoff.LOL

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:12 am

Hellspawn28 wrote:Toei tends to rehash a lot of old ideas. If AT had nothing to do with BOG, Beerus would have been a brainless idiot similar to Broli and has a transformation that is super buff up. The other DBZ movies and GT rehash old ideas as well.
Beerus would have been an exact clone of Freeza it Toriyama didn't interject with his cat design, thank god for that. A lizard like Freeza.... with powers to make powers to make people evil...... like Babidi? Toei would have really made BoG a lot worse than it was I admit.
OWmyDragonBallz wrote: And yet, Minus turned out to be bullshit as it contradicts the manga severely, but this doesn't surprise me as Toriyama is extremely forgetful. Dragon Ball ended a long time ago. His thought process back then was that it was over after he ended the manga. All these retcons like DB minus are just for entertainment. I would place them in the alternate universe category with things such as the SSJ Bardock special.
The only think Minus contrasts greatly is with Goku's launch to earth and its meaning behind it. For the worst arguably beyond the already restated concept that Goku was sent there purposely to destroy it, not to hide from Freeza. The real damage though is the meaning of him being the first on screen SSJ. His very symbplism was the fact that he defied his darker ancestory in favour of a brighter path created from his good heart and warrior acceptance... according to Minus it was all just luck.
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Still though, Toriyama didn't put any originality into Minus. It seems like a giant Superman rip off. The animated Bardock special seems to make a hell of a lot more sense. But I guess to be fair, that's in the Anime's continuity while Minus can be in the manga's if you truly want to take it literal to the manga's. But both versions still give off the same message that Goku was sent to earth as a kid to avoid Freeza. The outcome was the same, but the way they went about it was a bit different.
^This I agree with entirely. That very detail that Goku was sent away by his parents to escape an exploding planet pedated by his parent's foresought fears is - indeed a superman swipe. It hurt the series more because the original story was infact the most original conceot of the situation, it was the argument easily distinguished Goku from Superman and the source of his character development. Now its all gone in favour of genericism.
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:Bardock & Gine couldn't tell their true intentions to Raditz, because Freeza would have heard everything, since they could only talk through scouters. Which is why Raditz thought that Goku was in a mission: they lied to him so that he can know his location.
Thats not at all a farfetched potential plot- band-aid but its all speculatory like everything else we try to make sense of, AT never tries to fix them himself which is whats breaking up the already solid story.
DieHard wrote:
OWmyDragonBallz wrote:Still though, Toriyama didn't put any originality into Minus. It seems like a giant Superman rip off.
Cuz being an alien of an species which planet was destroyed with only other 3 survivors who visit earth wasnt already a ripoff.LOL
Its just a small coincidence. A state of being isnt really ripping it off. Its just a likely referencial circumstance.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:20 am

What I expect: nonsensical story wrecking retcons, annoying fans aggressively trying to push those retcons, pointless fluff pieces, and more dick sucking for Goku, Vegeta, and maybe Beerus.

What I want: none of the above.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

SingleFringe&Sparks

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:33 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:What I expect: nonsensical story wrecking retcons, annoying fans aggressively trying to push those retcons, pointless fluff pieces, and more dick sucking for Goku, Vegeta, and maybe Beerus.

The only retcons that irked me right now were
- 17 and 18's "human names"
- 17's bizzare new-life
- Goku's retconed Earth mission
- and Beerus given more credit than he presented.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:22 am

RandomGuy96 wrote:What I expect: nonsensical story wrecking retcons, annoying fans aggressively trying to push those retcons, pointless fluff pieces, and more dick sucking for Goku, Vegeta, and maybe Beerus.

I expect the last part to most certainly come true :roll:

I can already hear the sounds of them getting their special places sucked.
Last edited by dbzfan7 on Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:37 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Thats not at all a farfetched potential plot- band-aid but its all speculatory like everything else we try to make sense of, AT never tries to fix them himself which is whats breaking up the already solid story.
It's not exactly speculation, it was established in DB- that Freeza hears everything through his scouters, that Raditz never returned to Planet Vegeta, and that no one could leave Planet Vegeta, including Bardock & Gine. That means that Bardock & Gine could only talk through scouters, which they did, since Bardock said that they would tell Raditz where Goku is. And then in the manga, we see Raditz thinking that Goku was sent there to destroy the Earth's lifeforms as a mission by the Saiyans.

Low Tone G

Post by Low Tone G » Sat Jun 07, 2014 1:56 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:Thats not at all a farfetched potential plot- band-aid but its all speculatory like everything else we try to make sense of, AT never tries to fix them himself which is whats breaking up the already solid story.
It's not exactly speculation, it was established in DB- that Freeza hears everything through his scouters, that Raditz never returned to Planet Vegeta, and that no one could leave Planet Vegeta, including Bardock & Gine. That means that Bardock & Gine could only talk through scouters, which they did, since Bardock said that they would tell Raditz where Goku is. And then in the manga, we see Raditz thinking that Goku was sent there to destroy the Earth's lifeforms as a mission by the Saiyans.
I agree with this. But in the same time don't really like the way that Dragon Ball is turning into a copy of Superman, and morever a copy of the shame what the Man of Steel is from 2013.
Last edited by Low Tone G on Sun Jun 08, 2014 3:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
English is not my first language!
I'm still waiting for Dragon Ball in Super...

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Jun 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Low Tone G wrote:I agree with this. But is the same time don't really like the way that Dragon Ball is turning into a copy of Superman, and morever a copy of the shame what the Man of Steel is from 2013.
Seems like Toriyama watched that movie, since he usually took inspiration from movies he watched.