"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

sintzu
Banned

Re: The First PlayStation 4 Game Cometh

Post by sintzu » Sun May 18, 2014 4:13 pm

If this is from spike then i'm sure the gameplay will be close to j-star versus but with more of a dbz feel to it
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sun May 18, 2014 4:13 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Take what Treevax said with a grain of salt. Remember that time he said Battle of Z would have Kikuchi's score? Never happened for us in the west, as usual.
I don't recall him saying that we will get the Kikuchi score, I recall him saying that we might get it.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Rukura
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Rukura » Sun May 18, 2014 4:36 pm

chaospunishment wrote:If it was Artdink there would most likely be a black line separating the shading. Goku would also look horrendous
Have you considered the fact that they could possibly improve their models and visuals, as it was something heavily criticized the first time around? Or are we supposed to assume that it would always look the same?
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

chaospunishment
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaospunishment » Sun May 18, 2014 4:46 pm

Rukura wrote:
chaospunishment wrote:If it was Artdink there would most likely be a black line separating the shading. Goku would also look horrendous
Have you considered the fact that they could possibly improve their models and visuals, as it was something heavily criticized the first time around? Or are we supposed to assume that it would always look the same?
If they could have done any better they wouldn't have used those models it the first place.

Spike only change the shading on their models. But the models themselves alright to start with.

No matter what they do they will still look wrong. Except Gero and Beerus/Whis who they did a good job with.

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Sun May 18, 2014 4:59 pm

chaospunishment wrote:If they could have done any better they wouldn't have used those models it the first place.
You can apply that logic to everything else in the game. It's short sighted.
chaospunishment wrote:Spike only change the shading on their models. But the models themselves alright to start with.
Because they were generally praised for them. Which was never the case with Battle of Z.
Full checklist of all Xenoverse clothing pieces, accessories and Z-Souls (Many thanks to jrdemr for the Z-Souls sheet): https://www.dropbox.com/s/u8vxc8m0fehev ... .xlsx?dl=0

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Sun May 18, 2014 6:42 pm

Been lurking on here waiting for any announcement and well looks like its time to come out the shadows. I have to say i am impressed so far with the looks but that is all so far. I personally believe new generation of game lets try something new but lets see what cards they have up their sleeves. I just want to really see what they are able to do with next gen systems now.

dariend777

Post by dariend777 » Sun May 18, 2014 8:29 pm

I wonder if there are gt characters on this game. I hope so. Also would like to see a few dragon ball characters.
"I would rather have an inferiority complex and be pleasantly surprised, than have a superiority complex and be rudely awakened."
Vanna Bonta quotes

THEGOKU
Regular

Post by THEGOKU » Sun May 18, 2014 9:58 pm

dariend777 wrote:I wonder if there are gt characters on this game. I hope so. Also would like to see a few dragon ball characters.
I think GT would be perfect for this generation especially with the scale of some enemies.

jollyr
Beyond Newbie

Post by jollyr » Mon May 19, 2014 1:50 am

I honestly to god haven't bought a Dragon Ball game since Tenkaichi 3 so if this looks cool and has interesting new stuff I'll buy it. I hope they really do something interesting, the scans show some interesting stuff like why is Namek in a cage? And I hope the red head isn't just a custom character you can make and play I hope the story has new characters and areas and situations. But we'll see...

chaospunishment
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaospunishment » Mon May 19, 2014 3:05 am

Rukura wrote:
chaospunishment wrote:If they could have done any better they wouldn't have used those models it the first place.
You can apply that logic to everything else in the game. It's short sighted.
chaospunishment wrote:Spike only change the shading on their models. But the models themselves alright to start with.
Because they were generally praised for them. Which was never the case with Battle of Z.
(Don't have time to remove quotes)

A company will not change their modelling style by fans reactions. Spike has always used the same models. The only difference from BT3 -> RB1 is touching them up for next-gen. Even UT uses the same models.

If they could have made Goku (main character) any better then they wouldn't have used something that looks that horrible to start with. You can't seriously tell me that they thought that was fine.

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Mon May 19, 2014 4:34 am

chaospunishment wrote:A company will not change their modelling style by fans reactions. Spike has always used the same models. The only difference from BT3 -> RB1 is touching them up for next-gen. Even UT uses the same models.
The ps3 models were definitely not the ones from the original Tenkaichi installments. When Raging Blast came around, they started from the ground up all over again with everything. Then Spike continued to use those new models for each of their succeeding titles after that. Even if they actually did reuse them(which they didn't) and one were to consider the stark difference between the BT and RB models, wouldn't that actually prove Artdink is capable of dramatically polishing up their models and making them look much more different than to what we saw before? Whatever the case, I don't believe the jump in quality between visuals is enough to dismiss a developer so easily.

With that said, it's doubtful Artdink is behind this new title. They had just completed and released Battle of Z not that long ago. Not to mention, if what Treevax said is correct, this was in development since last year and I don't think Artdink is that big enough to be capable of producing two major DBZ titles at the same time. Although J-Stars was still in production and released even later than BoZ, I think there still might be a chance that it is by Spike considering their merger with Chunsoft, especially if they reused assets to make this baby. It's possible that they may be capable of having another team work on another DBZ title while the other is busy with J-Stars.

I think we'll just have to wait and see for a confirmation. Perhaps it might not even be a developer who had experience with Dragon Ball in the past, but another team new to the series.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 19, 2014 4:47 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:I don't recall him saying that we will get the Kikuchi score, I recall him saying that we might get it.
It's been a long time but I do remember that he got a ton of people very excited for stating it. I can't go scatter the Battle of Z topic now but it's somewhere in there whether he was "Battle of Z will have Kikuchi's score" or "Battle of Z might have Kikuchi's score".

I guess it's just better to assume we'll never get Kikuchi music in a Dragon Ball game in the west so at least in that regard there won't be disappointments.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Mon May 19, 2014 5:31 am

Why is Kikuchi music forbidden in the west anyway?
We got the anime with Kikuchi in every part of the world except for 'Merica with its LOLFAULCONER soundtrack, so why not for the games?

omegalucas
Advanced Regular

Post by omegalucas » Mon May 19, 2014 6:40 am

Flame Dragon wrote:Why is Kikuchi music forbidden in the west anyway?
We got the anime with Kikuchi in every part of the world except for 'Merica with its LOLFAULCONER soundtrack, so why not for the games?
AB Groupe (the guys who have the license for Dragon Ball on France and most of Europe) has the rights for the Kikuchi soundtrack and wants quite an expensive sum of money to allow the release with the show's music. This is the reason for Europe, for America I have no idea.
DragonBoxZTheMovies wrote:Kanzenshuu! We annoy voice actors, get composers fired....and occasionally talk about Dragon Ball

pandamix
Not-So-Newbie

Post by pandamix » Mon May 19, 2014 6:55 am

It is NOT Artdink.

dariend777

Post by dariend777 » Mon May 19, 2014 7:19 am

Looks like they're doing for the dbz game graphics what cyberconnect 2 did for the naruto game graphics: making them look like you're playin the show.
"I would rather have an inferiority complex and be pleasantly surprised, than have a superiority complex and be rudely awakened."
Vanna Bonta quotes

Rukura

Post by Rukura » Mon May 19, 2014 8:37 am

chaospunishment wrote:A company will not change their modelling style by fans reactions. Spike has always used the same models. The only difference from BT3 -> RB1 is touching them up for next-gen. Even UT uses the same models.

If they could have made Goku (main character) any better then they wouldn't have used something that looks that horrible to start with. You can't seriously tell me that they thought that was fine.
I'm sorry but, unless I'm missing something, the Sparking models are not the same as the Blast models. Much like the generation move from Budokai to Burst Limit.
But what you said did make realize something: We saw a big visual shift from both sides, with the move to the (at the time) next gen. Now with the leap to PS4 (not counting the downscale ports to the now previous gen) it really could be anyone doing this one. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
omegalucas wrote:AB Groupe (the guys who have the license for Dragon Ball on France and most of Europe) has the rights for the Kikuchi soundtrack and wants quite an expensive sum of money to allow the release with the show's music. This is the reason for Europe, for America I have no idea.
I had also heard that they no longer had the rights, so I wonder how much of that is actually true.
dariend777 wrote:Looks like they're doing for the dbz game graphics what cyberconnect 2 did for the naruto game graphics: making them look like you're playin the show.
And it's about damn time. They totally nailed the visual side with the Storm games. I'm just hoping they're not making this...

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Mon May 19, 2014 10:33 am

omegalucas wrote:
Flame Dragon wrote:Why is Kikuchi music forbidden in the west anyway?
AB Groupe (the guys who have the license for Dragon Ball on France and most of Europe) has the rights for the Kikuchi soundtrack and wants quite an expensive sum of money to allow the release with the show's music. This is the reason for Europe, for America I have no idea.
Yep AB Groupe are pretty much the anti-christ of the Dragonball franchise. I think the reason that the English releases of all the Spike games haven't even had the original score for the American release is because I think the European versions of the Spike games are always made first and then ported for the US release (although I think it's the other way around for the Dimps games). So basically their greed not only hurts Europe but the US too. I'm not a massive fan of Kikuchi but I can appreciate people at least wanting an option to play the games with it.

chaospunishment
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaospunishment » Mon May 19, 2014 11:45 am

I'm sorry but, unless I'm missing something, the Sparking models are not the same as the Blast models. Much like the generation move from Budokai to Burst Limit.
But what you said did make realize something: We saw a big visual shift from both sides, with the move to the (at the time) next gen. Now with the leap to PS4 (not counting the downscale ports to the now previous gen) it really could be anyone doing this one. I'm sure we'll find out soon enough.
I know where you're coming from. I meant they never started again, they took the ones they had then made them better and less blockly. I doubt we'll see another Budokai -> Burst Limit change since Burst Limit has been the best looking game (to me) since it came out. Though anything's possible, the RB2 pictures and trailer never even had proper lighting.

AB Groupe think they own Tenkaichi Tag Team and Ultimate Tenkaichi music according to Youtube claims

EXBadguy

Post by EXBadguy » Mon May 19, 2014 12:39 pm

I'm excited but at the same time, NOT holding my breath this time like with UT and BoZ(though I thought BoZ was decent). And am I the only person that wants both the Kikuchi soundtrack and an original soundtrack in a DB game? I for one sometimes don't like Kikuchi's music.

Bullza wrote:
And Dragon Ball Z isn't? Storm 3 was still vastly superior to any Dragon Ball Z game that's come out in years if not ever.

The franchise at least has effort put into it. Whereas DBZ recycles the same fights, the same characters and the same story every single year with hardly anything new even though people are clearly sick of it and sales are falling.

This new Storm game they're making has it's own original story with new original cutscenes to go along with it. Kishimoto has also made designs for characters specially for the game. Would they ever do anything like that for a DBZ console game? No they won't.
All of what you say is true, but what about the gameplay? That's what making some fans drift away from that series. Sure DB games have their shitty cycle but Naruto games do too. Once you beat the story, there's really nothing you can do plus they have no more than four game modes(though the new one might add one). They're not even as challenging as the PS2 games were. That's one thing I liked about the DBZ games over the current Naruto games, and hopefully this PS4 game will do so.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.