"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Re: The First PlayStation 4 Game Cometh

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon May 19, 2014 4:11 pm

dariend777 wrote:Looks like they're doing for the dbz game graphics what cyberconnect 2 did for the naruto game graphics: making them look like you're playin the show.
Yeah the graphics look nice but despite that, the gameplay is pants, I've given a try for the released Naruto Storm demos and neither of the three ever satisfied me. Even Tenkaichi gameplay's more playable and enjoyable than Storm.
I'm excited but at the same time, NOT holding my breath this time like with UT and BoZ(though I thought BoZ was decent). And am I the only person that wants both the Kikuchi soundtrack and an original soundtrack in a DB game? I for one sometimes don't like Kikuchi's music.
This is what happens in Japan, they have a mix of Kikuchi and game-music tracks unlike in EU/US.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gokuden
Regular

Post by Gokuden » Mon May 19, 2014 4:17 pm

I've been beta testing a few blockbuster titles on the PS4...

You should know that the graphics in the magazine (which are probably CG unfortunately, not in-game) could be easily produced for in-game gameplay that's 60fps fluid on the PS4. It's just that powerful.

Just get the May 27th game, to see what an early-gen PS4 developing can do if you have a PS4.

You all know I have a love for the Ultimate Blast series, and if this is Ultimate Blast 2, it will hopefully have more content. :D Anything over that terrible battle of Z, which I regret ever paying $15 for. :(

The pinnacle of last gen for 3d fighters was Raging Blast, and 2d was Burst Limit.

Ultimate Ninja Storm is too slow, I don't like the engine.

LOL, these kids on YouTube posting uneducated comments, and cussing at each other for being wrong are hilarious. :roll:
Last edited by Gokuden on Mon May 19, 2014 4:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
That time your teacher asked you to draw Cell in biology class.
This man is my hero:
To be perfectly honest, I couldn't care less about the fans a re-issue might alienate because if all they're concerned about is being able to scalp the people who were either unaware of the Dragon Boxes or couldn't afford them at the time, they're just leeches and deserve to have their greed backfire on them.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon May 19, 2014 4:36 pm

Gameplay aspect aside, what I like about NUNS, especially the first game, is the presentation. The overwhelming scale and cinematic presentation of most ultimate moves in NUNS1 is just delicious. Explosions really look massive and destructive. That's what I've always missed in a Dragon Ball game since Budokai 3. Ultimates don't feel ultimate. Only B3 nailed that to some extent.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

dariend777

Post by dariend777 » Mon May 19, 2014 6:43 pm

I hope the ultimate attacks in this game will be decent. BoZ ultimates were...well, ridiculous. I think the developers-who ever they are -should use the level of destruction that was in UT and just expnad upon it.
"I would rather have an inferiority complex and be pleasantly surprised, than have a superiority complex and be rudely awakened."
Vanna Bonta quotes

budokaifanatic007
Regular

Post by budokaifanatic007 » Mon May 19, 2014 7:24 pm

Looking back and analyzing some of the Burst Limit trailers, I Saw similarities with the the cell & frieza fights especially the backgrounds & how they are drawn and not 3d(The scans). I don't know maybe I'm over analyzing and really want this to be Burst limit 2.
Anyone else see any similarities? I know its just pure speculation but I'm so impatient lol.
Bring Back Budokai:https://www.change.org/en-CA/petitions/ ... it-2#intro
Tyestor wrote:How many dicks do I have to suck to get Dimps to make another 3D Budokai-esque game again? My patience is seriously starting to wear thin with these new DB games.

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Mon May 19, 2014 8:41 pm

The wait to the Japan Expo isn't long. Hopefully everything will become clear soon.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon May 19, 2014 9:27 pm

dariend777 wrote:i heard from a reliable source that they've been working on this game since October. I wonder if we will finally get a free roam.
Basically all the vague crap they promised us since Ultimate Tenkaichi was announced repackaged. I couldn't care less about it because I know better to expect any of it fufille minus the half-baked poor attempts they always have excuses for.
NitroEX wrote:I'm surprised no one seems to be talking about the "mysterious youth" (how original :roll:) watching Vegeta and Goku fight. Maybe this means the return of a character creator for story mode. Though I bet they totally botch it again regardless of their past mistakes, such incompetent devs. :yawn:
If the game allows character creation it better not be as constricting a UT's was. Males only? Saiyan Only? Tailess is not an option? No Oozaru form? SSJ level cap? Forced to be a Goku Wannabe? Black Voice is the most stereotypical impersionation ever? Clothing isnt layered or unisex?

No. Just-Fucking-No. All the types of characters I wanted to make are impossible with that system.

The only thing that would get me even remotely interested in putting some patience into this game is if they use the Tenkaichi engine; as recycled and dumped down to death as it was - after playing battle of Z, spike doesnt seem as bad as I used to think in that regard, their character models (minus their terrible mouth animations) were at least standard quality. (Unlike BoZ's blocky disproprtionate ones). Even still, theres no gimmick they havent already used to death to market these crap games year after year. I hope Treevax's ideas werent a waste of his time because if they dont use his then this game will suck gaurenteed.
dbboxkaifan wrote:Spike models were either, too sharpened & rough (Tenkaichi 3), plasticky (Raging Blast 2), muddy (Ultimate Blast) or cartoony (Raging Blast 1).
Actually I thought RB1 had the best models in the franchise. They were clean, sharp and looked just like the anime in a polished HD. The only problem was the background stages looking too bland stock garbage. Where I say the opposite of that to BoZ's area design, as trash as their character models were - the stages at least were cell-shaded.
RB2 looked really ugly with how shiny the models were, all they did was change the lighting of the RB1 models and bam, new game with rubber dolls. UT looked pretty good having the most detailed models and multitoned skin shading but the ugly muddy, grey-brownness to them is what makes even them look like vomit.
dbboxkaifan wrote:The only reason why Tenkaichi 1 isn't included is because the soundtrack was made of recycled tunes from the Budokai games by Kenji Yamamoto. Oh, at least in the music Tenkaichi 1 didn't suck.
Funny how the plagirist Yamamoto was the one who delivered the best soundtracks of all time to the budokai games, each tune being memorable and actually a song with a seamless loop and consistant chorus melody or synth rock/orchestric tune. (Cell Stage and Warrior from Unknown land are my jams.)

but... Whomever's making the songs now must be a low-budget amatuer because the new songs in Budokai HD (recycled from RB1 yet again) freakin suck. Their new age high-pitch guitar squeals are so annoying to listen to and the generic hyperactive tempo these songs have make them sound so kiddish. I always knew RB2 original releases had the best soundtrack post-budokai but couldnt put my finger on why until I realized they were mostly ripped Disturbed instrumentals which at heart was a very smart move quality wise but kinda sad everywhere else.
chaospunishment wrote:If it was Artdink there would most likely be a black line separating the shading. Goku would also look horrendous
Yup. Goku's face would be scrunched and his eyes would be too far slanted, his hands would be blockier and his hair stiffer and triangular. Krillin should have been in the pic, then I'd know it was Artdink. Their too-tall krillin or their weird looking Tien would have been a dead give away...
Captain-Sora wrote:The ps3 models were definitely not the ones from the original Tenkaichi installments. When Raging Blast came around, they started from the ground up all over again with everything. Then Spike continued to use those new models for each of their succeeding titles after that.

No they didnt. They only started from scratch on the next gen but since RB1 reused the same models and animations exactly from RB1 to UT. The only thing they ever do is just recolour them a bit and change the lighting on them.
Captain-Sora wrote:Even if they actually did reuse them(which they didn't) and one were to consider the stark difference between the BT and RB models, wouldn't that actually prove Artdink is capable of dramatically polishing up their models and making them look much more different than to what we saw before? Whatever the case, I don't believe the jump in quality between visuals is enough to dismiss a developer so easily.
No amatuer company could make a jump like that, especially considering Artdink's models didnt even look PS3 gen quality to begin with. (They looked exactly like a muddier version of BT3HD's) Nor would their attacks animations be as stiff and choppy as they were presented. I doubt they'd at their least outdo spike.
Last edited by SingleFringe&Sparks on Thu May 22, 2014 6:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

GogetaSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GogetaSSJ2 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:11 pm

.....ok I'll be the elephant in the room and say it.

Honestly I'm surprised people on this thread are suggesting this is Battle of Z 2....when it's clearly not.

This game seems to be in more of the spirit of a Spike Chunsoft game than an Artdink game. Plus Battle of Z JUST came out; like less than 4 months ago!

There is NO WAY in Hell Artdink would cook up sequel to BoZ that soon!

Imo, this game looks like Ultimate Tenkaichi 2 on steriods. The character creation with the red hair guy at the corner of one of the scans should be a dead giveaway that this game has something to do with Spike's dbz games than Artdink's dbz games.

My guess is Namco Bandai is going with the 2 game developer studio route which has become quite popular in the industry. Spike Chunsoft would create their style of DBZ games and every year swtich-off with Artdink and they release their Battle of Z styled DBZ games.

Idk why NB would bother though, the demand for DBZ games is shirking by the year but they are hell bent on keeping DBZ games here for a while longer.

In other words, DBZ games are here to stay whether the demand is there or not....?
PSN: Nightwing7841

"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta, I am the instrument of your destruction!" - Gogeta

GogetaSSJ2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by GogetaSSJ2 » Mon May 19, 2014 11:18 pm

dariend777 wrote:I wonder if there are gt characters on this game. I hope so. Also would like to see a few dragon ball characters.
Well, if they are really pushing DBZ games into next generation (which is a fact now) its only a matter of freaking time...
PSN: Nightwing7841

"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta, I am the instrument of your destruction!" - Gogeta

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon May 19, 2014 11:42 pm

GogetaSSJ2 wrote:My guess is Namco Bandai is going with the 2 game developer studio route which has become quite popular in the industry. Spike Chunsoft would create their style of DBZ games and every year swtich-off with Artdink and they release their Battle of Z styled DBZ games.

Idk why NB would bother though, the demand for DBZ games is shirking by the year but they are hell bent on keeping DBZ games here for a while longer.

In other words, DBZ games are here to stay whether the demand is there or not....?
What I don't get is why NamcoBandai don't even bother at least trying to make a system of good products for credit tenure, intead they just work their developers like factory workers. I get it they have to churn out a new DBZ IP each year thanks to the higher company but seriously, sometimes its more like they don't care at all - nothing is a flop to them regardless of reviews and regardless of pathetic sales. Even with interest decreasing because if it, it doesnt matter enough for them to think. Its never about making us happy. Its about trying to force-feed us these games. Add one thing today; remove it tomorrow, tease it the next day, don't add it. Repeat.

It would be awesome if they could buy out Cyberconnect and merge them with SpikeChunsoft but that would be spoiling us.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

dariend777

Post by dariend777 » Tue May 20, 2014 4:37 am

I hope the explosions look like the ones in dragon ball z kai butouden. That would be a major plus for me.
"I would rather have an inferiority complex and be pleasantly surprised, than have a superiority complex and be rudely awakened."
Vanna Bonta quotes

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Tue May 20, 2014 6:32 am

SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:No they didnt. They only started from scratch on the next gen but since RB1 reused the same models and animations exactly from RB1 to UT. The only thing they ever do is just recolour them a bit and change the lighting on them.
Uh, that's what I just said... I was blatantly referring to when they made the jump to the following generation of consoles and even specified which title they started using(and then re-using) different models, hence "Then Spike continued to use those new models for each of their succeeding titles after that."
SingleFringe&Sparks wrote:No amatuer company could make a jump like that, especially considering Artdink's models didnt even look PS3 gen quality to begin with. (They looked exactly like a muddier version of BT3HD's) Nor would their attacks animations be as stiff and choppy as they were presented. I doubt they'd at their least outdo spike.
They're not amateurs, though. They've been in the video game business for quite some time. They're even more experienced than Spike is. If one had to assume as to why the characters looked so average, it's less to do with how terrible they are at modeling, and more to do with how so much had to be done from scratch, as well as adding in good number of characters. Sure, they had a bit of a longer development time than the usual DBZ title, but they were still under a budget and had to do a lot. They focused on establishing and refining the gameplay mechanics and doing as much as they could with the more significant aspects while only managing to do a quick rush job over the characters' visuals. If they were to ever produce another game building off of the assets of the original BoZ, then they'd have a lot more time to polish up their character models and animations while adding whatever bits of new content and gameplay features that are needed. It isn't unfathomable that there could be a big of a jump as that.

The real reason as to why Artdink probably isn't making this game is more to do with how ridiculously early the announcement was after BoZ was released earlier this year, and how it was apparently in production since last year. Not because they're "incapable of improving their graphics," which is just an unfounded statement.

chaospunishment
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaospunishment » Tue May 20, 2014 7:31 am

To be fair their SS God looks fine so there's no reason for the normal Goku forms to look as bad as they do.

Looking back at Goku vs Cell it's like the Cell Ring from BT/UT.

The Goku vs Frieza also looks like it has the big drop on RB1/2

Jaruka
Regular

Post by Jaruka » Tue May 20, 2014 1:09 pm

So much negativity in this thread. Come on guys, it's always fun to speculate, complain, wait for V-Jump, bemoan features of losses, we've done this every year for a very long time.

Plus, we all expect the game to be God-awful so surely we can only be impressed, right? Swings and roundabouts.
mysticboy wrote:Raditz has the durability of 3 moons.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue May 20, 2014 3:11 pm

Better quality scan: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AQOIJUovsE

Still trying to determine if these models belong to any of the other game's producers. Goku looks really Bulky like in Burst limit, looks really Burst limit like in that SSJ Goku vs Freeza shot, but not so much in the Goku vs Vegeta. The coloring looks faithful to the anime. The aura looks like Budokai 3 meets RB2. I still have no idea, if Dimps, Spike or someone new is in the picture this time.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue May 20, 2014 3:26 pm

Because watching a Youtube video to see still images is pointless:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/3006536 ... 441724628/
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Tue May 20, 2014 3:34 pm

I'm not sure they belong to anyone? I've looked them over the best I could, and while I can find similarities to models from previous developers, none of them are actual matches. So it's hard to say at this point.

If I had to guess though, and they are from someone we've already had, I'd lean more towards a reworked set of Spike's recent models with a Burst Limit-ish coat of paint...
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Tue May 20, 2014 3:40 pm

I'm going to hold out for spike dimps or new blood.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Tue May 20, 2014 3:48 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:I'm not sure they belong to anyone? I've looked them over the best I could, and while I can find similarities to models from previous developers, none of them are actual matches. So it's hard to say at this point.

If I had to guess though, and they are from someone we've already had, I'd lean more towards a reworked set of Spike's recent models with a Burst Limit-ish coat of paint...
This is more or less what I think at this point as well.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

Ryuman
Regular

Post by Ryuman » Tue May 20, 2014 3:55 pm

It looks like the people who said those were promo images are wrong. Looks pretty in-game to me. Still can't decide who's doing this, but I'm not sure I could enjoy Spike's mouth-flaps again. :/