"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheDevilsCorpse

Re: The First PlayStation 4 Game Cometh

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Wed May 21, 2014 12:44 pm

If this really is a Dimps game, at least a traditional 2D Dimps game, then any potential excitement I may have ended up having just dropped by half. The 2D fighters were alright, but not how I prefer to experience a Dragon Ball Z era game.

That said, this clear image of the "Namek-like planet with a birdcage-like structure" has gotten my attention. While I would have preferred a clean image of the "hourglass planet with ties to Buu", this grassy world has some interesting details. It now appears to be a planet more like where the Kaio reside. The house even looks like Kaio's little place. There is also a tree...with fruit...and another structure...maybe a school house? Perhaps this is the Shinjin home world of Kaishin? =P

Kidding. The above mentioned tidbits are interesting, and I guess it could be possible, but I don't think they'd be including something like that. I guess we'll have to wait and see though, but as of this moment, I'm definitely more interested in the potential information than the actual game.

Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed May 21, 2014 12:47 pm

I hate to admit it, especially after the (so I'm told anyway, as I haven't played them yet) disappointments that were Ultimate Tenkaichi and Battle of Z...but the seeming return of a character creator plus completely original locations has me pretty excited to see what comes of this game.

Especially since I hope to have a PS3 by the end of the year/early next year at the latest.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed May 21, 2014 1:34 pm

Can someone translate the info here?

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed May 21, 2014 1:55 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:If this really is a Dimps game, at least a traditional 2D Dimps game, then any potential excitement I may have ended up having just dropped by half. The 2D fighters were alright, but not how I prefer to experience a Dragon Ball Z era game.
Exactly. The Budokai games are great games, but they are not great Dragon Ball Z games. They would have been great Dragon Ball games though.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed May 21, 2014 1:55 pm

There's virtually no information there, which is why we didn't note any of it on the home page - there's nothing to say.

The systems are PS4, PS3, and 360 (which we knew). The game's release date, price, genre, and number of players aren't announced, and obviously there's no CERO rating yet.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:01 pm

If it's Dimps then I'm going to bet that they will slap the Budokai name on it for marketing reasons.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Wed May 21, 2014 2:11 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:If this really is a Dimps game, at least a traditional 2D Dimps game, then any potential excitement I may have ended up having just dropped by half. The 2D fighters were alright, but not how I prefer to experience a Dragon Ball Z era game.

That said, this clear image of the "Namek-like planet with a birdcage-like structure" has gotten my attention. While I would have preferred a clean image of the "hourglass planet with ties to Buu", this grassy world has some interesting details. It now appears to be a planet more like where the Kaio reside. The house even looks like Kaio's little place. There is also a tree...with fruit...and another structure...maybe a school house? Perhaps this is the Shinjin home world of Kaishin? =P

Kidding. The above mentioned tidbits are interesting, and I guess it could be possible, but I don't think they'd be including something like that. I guess we'll have to wait and see though, but as of this moment, I'm definitely more interested in the potential information than the actual game.

Hopes it's not Dimps for the same reasons. The 2d fighter just can't fully capture the DBZ experience in my opinion. If it is Dimps, then my hope is they are making a 3d fighter. But we won't know until more inform comes out. It's already annoying that they keep dredging out fighters with the same damn story, but to go back to a 2d fighter would be a huge disappointment.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed May 21, 2014 2:18 pm

There hasn't been a new DBZ 2D fighter on a home console in nearly six years. The 3D DBZ Simulator crowd basically had the entire PS3/360 generation to themselves.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Wed May 21, 2014 2:23 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:There hasn't been a new DBZ 2D fighter on a home console in nearly six years. The 3D DBZ Simulator crowd basically had the entire PS3/360 generation to themselves.
And you don't think going to a 2d fighter is taking a step backwards?

Maybe that's just me, I'm not necessarily a 2d fighter fan. I was back in the days when street fighter and MK were big, but prefer 3d now, especially when it comes to dragon ball.

But a good DBZ mmorpg would be the dream game though...man.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Wed May 21, 2014 2:26 pm

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:There hasn't been a new DBZ 2D fighter on a home console in nearly six years. The 3D DBZ Simulator crowd basically had the entire PS3/360 generation to themselves.
This. The 3d crowd has had 4 games already. The 2d crowd had one.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Wed May 21, 2014 2:32 pm

Please, make it Budokai/Burst Limit like game. Or better yet, an RPG. Or (the best option) take break from DB games for at least a 2 years.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

Silkman3003
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Silkman3003 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:39 pm

dualist wrote:

Nope. Considering since then we've had games like RB1, RB2, Ultimate Tenkaichi,DBZ Kinect, and BOZ, all of which consistently get criticized and really aren't that great. We've had multiple games that "capture the experience" but either way we also have a group who want a new budokai game as well.

I'd pick a good 2d budokai game with improvements to the budokai system at this point . No more 3D for awhile . No more games like BoZ. Especially since it's been multiple years since a proper 2d fighter has come out

I honestly dont think dbz games can take any more step backwards, than they already have. The last one in particular was such a step back in certain ways, that it wasn't even funny.
Last edited by Silkman3003 on Wed May 21, 2014 2:56 pm, edited 7 times in total.

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Wed May 21, 2014 2:41 pm

Silkman3003 wrote:
dualist wrote:

Nope. Considering games since then we've had games like RB1, RB2, Ultimate Tenkaichi,DBZ Kinect, and BOZ, all of which consistently get criticized? And really aren't that great?

I'd pick a good 2d budokai game with improvements to the budokai system now . No more 3D. No more games like BoZ. Especially since it's been multiple years since a proper 2d fighter has come out.

I hear you, 2d fighters just aren't my thing, but I know plenty if people enjoy them. I've just been over them for quite sometime. I actually don't even like fighters, just play them because they are dragon ball.

Crazy how this series has such a loyal fan base and they just cant seem to get it right.

DBO, for example, could've been amazing in the right hands, but they blew it. And they'll continue to just slap games together.
Last edited by dualist on Wed May 21, 2014 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chaospunishment
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaospunishment » Wed May 21, 2014 2:43 pm

coola wrote:take break from DB games for at least a 2 years.
They already did. We got Battle of Z

Budokai games are good games but the style doesn't fit DBZ. If they never had DBZ characters and attacks I probably wouldn't even play them.

The Goku/Vegeta + Goku/Cell make it look like 2D is pretty much out the window for this game.

2D fighter would fit DB perfectly. I love Advanced Adventures side-on battles a lot.

An RPG DB game would be amazing though.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Wed May 21, 2014 2:45 pm

Silkman3003 wrote:Nope. Considering games since then we've had games like RB1, RB2, Ultimate Tenkaichi,DBZ Kinect, and BOZ, all of which consistently get criticized? And really aren't that great? We've had multiple games that "capture the experience" but either way we have a group who want a good dbz fighting game.
The problem with those isn't because they are 3D games though. Raging Blast was a step backwards, Raging Blast 2 didn't go as forward as it should have, and Ultimate Blast & Battle of Z are just bad games.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Wed May 21, 2014 2:51 pm

chaospunishment wrote:
coola wrote: An RPG DB game would be amazing though.

My sentiments exactly, can't think of a better series to make an rpg or mmorpg for, especially considering the new retcon and adding to the lore.

miguelnuva1
I Live Here

Post by miguelnuva1 » Wed May 21, 2014 3:10 pm

Could this be a Dimps-Spike co produced game?

My dream game would be for Dimps to make a DB game covering from the start of DB to the end of DB like Budokai 3 and Spike to make a Tenkaichi game from BOX to EOGT and the movies.

Maybe oneday.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed May 21, 2014 3:28 pm

We haven't seen any gameplay videos yet. If it's Dimps then it could be a 2D figher or maybe a 2D mixed with 3D. We had enough with Spike's BS after 2007. The Sparking gameplay was getting old by 2009. We need something new and fresh which this game could give us.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed May 21, 2014 4:03 pm

Drev wrote:Saint Seiya Senki (by Dimps) for PS3 was good (at least the duels 1v1), but Brave Warriors is too much "Storm-like", and in fact it sucks.
Saint Seiya: Sanctuary Battle is like another Dynasty Warriors bs game except when it comes to the fighting it's actually pretty good, same goes for Saint Seiya: Brave Soldiers (thank god this one doesn't have the shitty Dynasty Warriors clone to it).
Hellspawn28 wrote:If it's Dimps then I'm going to bet that they will slap the Budokai name on it for marketing reasons.
"Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Extreme Battle!!" :P
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Wed May 21, 2014 4:26 pm

Hellspawn28 wrote:We had enough with Spike's BS after 2007.
Couldn't agree more. Let's hope it's a 2D fighter.