"Dragon Ball XENOVERSE" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shinnin
Beyond Newbie

Re: The First PlayStation 4 Game Cometh

Post by Shinnin » Thu May 22, 2014 4:15 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:the beam clashes look a lot nicer and more balanced whereas in Spike titles it's just moving the analogue stick around quickly as possible and you'd win it.
That's exactly how beam struggles are in Budokai 3. The balance only comes into play in Burst Limit, but it's more like "Don't be that unlucky bastard who clashes with your opponent's ultimate." IMO Ultimate Tenkaichi's beam struggles look better than Budokai 3/Burst Limit though.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu May 22, 2014 4:27 am

The fights in Budokai 3 are high speed which is exactly how they were shown in Dragon Ball Z and when did they actually ever changed in the series from one arena to another? Here's some examples below.

Budokai games have the ability to change stages within the same battle depending how big the blast is to it, so you're not stuck to the same one the whole time, now, as for destroyed parts of an arena they do have although it's a 2D fighter so they're kept to the minimum. Destroyed background elements are what you'd expect from a 3D game not 2D.

1) Saiyan arc -- Goku asked Vegeta to swap for a different arena due to the dead bodies. Nappa against the Z-Warriors were in one arena the whole time, really.

2) Freeza arc -- Goku and Freeza battled it out but within the last five minutes the stage itself changed to the chaotic mess, so here it kinda did.

3) Artificial Human arc -- Goku & co with the artificial humans moved to a deserted arena so that no one would get hurt.

4) Cell arc -- Imperfect Cell fought different enemies at different spots, but when it came to the Cell Games it was in one stage only when it actually was still there.

5) Majin Boo -- Tenkaichi Tournament, Babidi's set of stages, Majin Boo changed to different forms allowing various warriors to try and defeat him
That's exactly how beam struggles are in Budokai 3
I don't use the analogue stick, I'd press one of the buttons instead.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu May 22, 2014 4:47 am

No, that's not what I'm talking about. Goku & Vegeta were fighting all over the place, The Goku & Freeza were fighting all over planet Namek, Goku & Beerus were fighting all over Earth, Gotenks & Boo destroyed the temple and went to Earth, Goku & co. and Broli were fighting all over a city, etc. In the Budokai games, you just stand there and fight in a stage that has the size of the Tenkaichi Budokai arena, which is too small for their standards at this point. The Tenkaichi Budokai was a good place to fight until Raditz came. It was shown in the Cell Games that fighting in such a limited area is annoying, and it was stated in the 28th Tenkaichi Budokai that the ring is too small for them.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

chaospunishment
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaospunishment » Thu May 22, 2014 4:49 am

The fights in all these games are only as fast as you can make them.

B3 can turn into a turtle match to see who can get who to waste their ki first.

BT3 you can go on for ages with Z counter (1 and 2)

BT2 has the high-tension beat down which is the fastest thing in any game.

RB1 you can chain cancels together so combat isn't broke up

RB2 you can chain Assault Chases and cancels to make long and fast combo's. Vanishing Rush attacks allows for some quick exchanges. Same with Z countering on BT3 and the thing on BT1/2 where you stop the opponent and stagger them.

There should be an option to turn on and off where you can knock characters into another stage and have an UT like exchange where you travel to the next area. The thing with Dodoria+Krillin and Vegeta+Zarbon

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu May 22, 2014 7:36 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:No, it's a fact that the fights in the Budokai games look nothing like the fights in DBZ.
No, it's an opinion. But if you're going technical about it, then no game depicts fights as seen in the anime.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu May 22, 2014 7:38 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:No, it's an opinion.
How exactly is it an opinion?
But if you're going technical about it, then no game depicts fights as seen in the anime.
The Spike games are very close to that.
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Thu May 22, 2014 8:21 am

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:How exactly is it an opinion?
Because it's subjective and not a fact.

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu May 22, 2014 8:29 am

Luso Saiyan wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:How exactly is it an opinion?
Because it's subjective and not a fact.
Could you explain why? Because I already did so.

Drev
Beyond Newbie

Post by Drev » Thu May 22, 2014 10:22 am

Budokai(s) and Burst Limit are just a bad version of "Tekken wannabe", with wings.
Last edited by Drev on Thu May 22, 2014 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 22, 2014 10:26 am

Drev wrote:Budokai(s) and Burst Limit are just a bad version of tekken, with wings.
How do you figure? Tekken had independent limb controls. Dimps' DBZ games do not, and instead focus on hits/kicks/ki attack patterns.

What actual similarities do you see between the Tekken and Dimps' DBZ games, beyond generic things that could apply to any of a dozen other games like "made with polygons" and "fight against each other"...?
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Drev
Beyond Newbie

Post by Drev » Thu May 22, 2014 10:30 am

VegettoEX wrote:
Drev wrote:Budokai(s) and Burst Limit are just a bad version of tekken, with wings.
How do you figure? Tekken had independent limb controls. Dimps' DBZ games do not.

What actual similarities do you see between the Tekken and Dimps' DBZ games, beyond generic things that could apply to any of a dozen other games like "made with polygons" and "fight against each other"...?
Because characters are slow in punching and kicking, in both Tekken and Budokai. Tenkaichi is way faster for example, and also real 3D, so why people still want things like budokai and burst limit? That's so "old", but not in a good way. Budokai was "good" just because it was the only dragon ball games for ps2...but then tenkaichi came out, and THAT is how Dragon Ball is supposed to be. Returning to budokai or burst limit is (a lot of) steps behind...

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 22, 2014 10:34 am

If you're playing Budokai slowly, that's your own problem and lack of skill. It's not like you can't also slowly and aimlessly wander around a Sparking! stage.

I don't understand this "Budokai isn't like DBZ fights" sentiment. In which DBZ fights do you see characters blasting around each other 360 degrees? Maybe Goku once he ramps up Kaio-Ken against Vegeta, but that's about it. They usually just stand next to each other and hit each other, or fly away from each other and blast at each other. In a straight line. Head-on.

A good game is a good game, and you're either willing to put in the time and effort to be good at a game -- if it offers any depth to you -- or you're not. I'm not going to sit here and pretend like there's no depth what-so-ever to a Sparking! game, and I'm going to hold the rest of you Sparking! nutjobs up to the same level in return for me!
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Thu May 22, 2014 10:42 am

If the Dimps style of game is so antiquated, how come Burst Limit outsold every 3D DBZ game this generation? Why did Bandai Namco see fit to release PS3/360 ports of the first and third Budokai instead of their "superior" Spike Chunsoft counterparts? Maybe it's because the dissenters are a vocal minority?
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Thu May 22, 2014 11:35 am

Shinnin wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:the beam clashes look a lot nicer and more balanced whereas in Spike titles it's just moving the analogue stick around quickly as possible and you'd win it.
That's exactly how beam struggles are in Budokai 3. The balance only comes into play in Burst Limit, but it's more like "Don't be that unlucky bastard who clashes with your opponent's ultimate." IMO Ultimate Tenkaichi's beam struggles look better than Budokai 3/Burst Limit though.
If anything it was worse in Burst Limit. If you shot the kamehameha after ur oponent, the struggle would happen with the beam at your face most of the times. However they felt really better thanks to the multi-hitting beams, felt so good beating a struggle and watch them recieve a free 5-hit attack.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Thu May 22, 2014 11:38 am

There's a lot of random speculation leaning towards Dimps being the developer. I'm not going to get my hopes up, but if they return this is an instant buy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9Cqu7P1630
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Thu May 22, 2014 11:41 am

I don't understand how you can make a 10+ minute video based on the existence of zero legitimate information on the subject matter.

I also don't understand how this thread is 15 pages.

How does the Internet work.

Silkman3003
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Silkman3003 » Thu May 22, 2014 12:03 pm

I must be playing the wrong budokai games because

DBZ Shin Budokai Series
Budokai 3 HD collection
Infinite World

Are not "slow" in terms of melee. As a fan of both Tenkaich and Budokai series, I can never understand why people always make the statement that "lol budokai is just tekken/street fighter with dbz skins" or some silly variation. That's incorrect. They don't have the same fighting systems at all.Their fighting systems are different to the point where saying that it's a clone of another, is just silly. Anyone whose actually played the games would realize this.

Much more annoying when you hear the same incorrect statements for years, as if people just read past arguments and use those in their debates , don't really play the games they talk about, and then make a comparison hoping that their statement doesn't get called out. . It's one thing to say that you don't prefer the 2d style. But if we go the route of ignorant statements, then any anime game that are "2d" that aren't SF or Tekken are "wannabe's". And that's stupid.
Last edited by Silkman3003 on Thu May 22, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu May 22, 2014 12:13 pm

VegettoEX wrote:I don't understand how you can make a 10+ minute video based on the existence of zero legitimate information on the subject matter.

I also don't understand how this thread is 15 pages.

How does the Internet work.
Such is the power of hype. Tis truly an amazing thing.

Honestly, I'm not really sure who I want to see develop this game. The old Budokai games really did have more diversity in how the characters worked and even how the moves worked. But, the Tenkaichi/Sparking series always felt a little more true to the way fights in the series proper felt...but it came at the expense of the characters pretty much working the same way regardless of who you played as. Then there's the possible mess/possible really-interesting-way-to-take-it that Battle of Z has gone for. I'm almost tempted to just hope for another new developer all together. Like...I dunno...CyberConnect and their awesomeness with the Naruto/JoJo games? ...I can dream.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Thu May 22, 2014 12:15 pm

VegettoEX wrote:What actual similarities do you see between the Tekken and Dimps' DBZ games, beyond generic things that could apply to any of a dozen other games like "made with polygons" and "fight against each other"...?
Visually, the Dimps' games are like Tekken with ki blasts & transformations (and a few other things). I believe that this is what he is trying to say.
VegettoEX wrote:They usually just stand next to each other and hit each other, or fly away from each other and blast at each other. In a straight line. Head-on.
No, they don't stand in a straight line, they are usually moving around all the time. Why do you think that we have the "I can't see them!" lines all the time?

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Thu May 22, 2014 12:32 pm

DBZGTKOSDH wrote:
VegettoEX wrote:What actual similarities do you see between the Tekken and Dimps' DBZ games, beyond generic things that could apply to any of a dozen other games like "made with polygons" and "fight against each other"...?
Visually, the Dimps' games are like Tekken with ki blasts & transformations (and a few other things). I believe that this is what he is trying to say.
"Oh my god, these Naruto Storm games are just a bad version of "Tenkaichi wannabes", without wings". Same song, different lyrics. Heck you could do this to any game.
But as a few have said, that statement is way too silly and way too overused.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr