Are you tired of the same story in every DBZ game?

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Are you tired of the same story on every dbz game?

Post by EXBadguy » Mon May 19, 2014 4:54 pm

InfernalVegito wrote: Yes I give a shit. Because if they intend to recreate the story then by all means fucking do it right. They've always did it half-assed.
Either way, if it's based on the series' story then recreate it authentically like Budokai 1 or spare us the ordeal and do an original story that doesn't suck ass if you can't pull off the former.
Luso Saiyan wrote:
What a flawed claim... Games have story to give context to what you're playing. And a good story mode can be entertaining.
But at this point, if Namco plans to do a original story for the PS4 game, we shouldn't set our expectations high and just be grateful they're changing some things. It doesn't have to be good. Why, cuz I, and I know many fans are just tired of playing the same story for over a decade. It doesn't matter how good they recreate the main storymode now, they had their chance with Ultimate Tenkaichi. Many of us are tired seeing cutscenes of Goku first turning Super Saiyan.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon May 19, 2014 5:01 pm

I am tired of it as well. All I'm saying is that if they can't do anything else than just recreate the series' story, then they should focus on doing it correctly.

I'd also like something else for once. But it's gotta be good still. Change for the sake of change without substance is not good.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon May 19, 2014 5:14 pm

InfernalVegito wrote:Yes I give a shit. Because if they intend to recreate the story then by all means fucking do it right. They've always did it half-assed.
Either way, if it's based on the series' story then recreate it authentically like Budokai 1 or spare us the ordeal and do an original story that doesn't suck ass if you can't pull off the former.
While I agree with the fact that they should be giving us an original story, I disagree with pretty much everything else. I have absolutely no interest in them recreating the series authentically. That exists elsewhere for fans to read or watch if that's what they want. The only thing interesting about the story mode in half these games anymore is what they "mess up" or change, depending on how you want to look at it.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon May 19, 2014 5:25 pm

You like it when the story mode is littered with holes and misses important fights? Or have I misunderstood you?

I am primarily thinking of BT3 whose story mode was like that.

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon May 19, 2014 6:24 pm

Yes, I don't mind if the story has inaccurate fights (especially understandable if the characters aren't in the game). Almost every console game, practically released every year for more than the past decade, has been Raditz to Cell/Buu in the story mode. There are a few exceptions of course, that it's basically the same thing over and over. That's a major over-saturation of the same basic story. They NEED something completely new to keep me interested. BUT, if I have to keep playing Raditz to Cell/Buu when I find a game with gameplay I enjoy, the least they can do is make changes like these to the story so I'm not playing the manga, the anime, the ani-manga, game #1 story, game #3 story, game #4 story, game #6 story, etcetera, over and over and over and over again, year after year.

Honestly, I don't understand why would anyone want the redundancy of playing the same progression of fights every year, with practically nothing to set them apart?
Last edited by TheDevilsCorpse on Mon May 19, 2014 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon May 19, 2014 6:29 pm

EXBadguy wrote:But at this point, if Namco plans to do a original story for the PS4 game, we shouldn't set our expectations high and just be grateful they're changing some things.
Change just for the sake of changing isn't something I can be grateful for. If it's actually something good (which I doubt) and done right, then yes.
EXBadguy wrote:It doesn't have to be good.
It does to me.
EXBadguy wrote:Why, cuz I, and I know many fans are just tired of playing the same story for over a decade.
And many others aren't, and may prefer to play the default story over a crappy fan-fiction.
EXBadguy wrote:It doesn't matter how good they recreate the main storymode now, they had their chance with Ultimate Tenkaichi. Many of us are tired seeing cutscenes of Goku first turning Super Saiyan.
Same as above.

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon May 19, 2014 6:34 pm

Yes. I haven't bought a home console Dragon Ball game since 2008 for the very reason that they just reboot the series' stories from Raditz on each and every time. The first chunk of modern-era home console games at least must've had something for me; I bought all of them from Budoukai 1 up through Burst Limit and just stopped there. (Well, except King Piccolo, but that was because I didn't have a Wii at the time.) My apologies for being unable to recall exactly, but I know the first set of three (Budoukai 1, 2, and 3) each had something interesting in terms of set-up; also it was still brand-new at the time to me. The (wow as I type this I realize how weird it is to type it backwards) Budoukai Tenkaichi series was interesting for having lots of characters (Arale and Kid Gokû say hi). Sagas had horrible controls. Super DBZ was really fun (23rd tournament Chi-Chi also says hi) in that the gameplay was more refined. Infinite World was something I picked up, put down, then picked up again years later, but still never really finished because of all the menial tasks. I did like Burst Limit well enough from what I recall, but I think I just started getting bored at that point. With Raging Blast on I only followed the threads on the forum. I don't have a ps4 or xbox1 and don't really plan to get either one at this time anyway. *Is sticking with her 3DS for now*.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon May 19, 2014 6:47 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:Honestly, I don't understand why would anyone want the redundancy of playing the same progression of fights every year, with practically nothing to set them apart?
Because, and that's my personal wish, the technology has come so far to allow for a bombastic experience of the show in which you are able to control it. I as the player want to recreate my favorite story with the controller in my hands, but only if it's actually the story I know. If it's done amateurishly then I won't care and that's what happened with the last few games. BT3's story was weak but at least its gameplay still captures my interest today like no other Dragon Ball game does. So if the gameplay sucks then at least other aspects of the game such as storymode or god knows what should be good. I think the show deserves a good video game representation in which its story is authentically recreated to appease fans' wishes of playing their beloved story themselves in a bombastic fashion. Just my personal wish here.

And if none of that is feasible (although it is, just look at NUNS whose storymode is quite amazing in terms of visuals and cinematic presentation), then I'd vouch for an original story if it's good as well.

I am not tired of the same story, but of them fucking it always up. I'm tired of half-assed DB games.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Tue May 20, 2014 2:35 am

I'm not tired of the story, I just want a game that gives the complete story from the beginning to the end, not just saiyan, freeza and cell.

They should do a game with cutscenes like the ones in Budokai 1, those cutscenes should be just done with the game engine and no animated ones should be included (they just don't mix well), fight scenarios like the ones in Sparking Meteor (you can select to follow a path in the battle or not, thus creating what ifs), and of course, alternate paths and optional missions that could cover the movies and what if characters (like the ones from Heroes).

Raging Blast 2 was just boring and tedious because it didn't have a story mode. I hope that doesn't happen again.

chaospunishment
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaospunishment » Tue May 20, 2014 2:51 am

The only reason RB2 never had a story is because of the "fans" who never wanted it and it was most likely those same people who cried about Galaxy mode too. Which made them make a Hero Mode in UT.

I wouldn't mind an open world DB game that goes from Beginning -> Piccolo Jr (maybe Grandpa Gohan) or even just King Piccolo, but they'd never make it or if they did it wouldn't be right.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Tue May 20, 2014 3:15 am

Yeah, but I would get double frustrated if it would only advance to cell saga XD
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue May 20, 2014 6:46 am

chaospunishment wrote:The only reason RB2 never had a story is because of the "fans" who never wanted it and it was most likely those same people who cried about Galaxy mode too. Which made them make a Hero Mode in UT.
I don't think you have any factual basis for that statement. I'm relatively sure the English language feedback on the first Raging Blast had little-to-nothing to do with how the second game shaped up, and instead was worked on according to what they had time/budget to actually do within that single year's time. If anything, Raging Blast 2 was an easy stepping-stone so they could get to work on Ultimate Blast/Tenkaichi ahead of schedule.

Of course, we don't actually know what any of the production timelines, budget, or even internal development team sizes look like, so it's all speculation. I just find it absurd to go out there and single-handedly declare you know the sole reason why things turned out the way they did.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

chaospunishment
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaospunishment » Tue May 20, 2014 7:21 am

VegettoEX wrote:
chaospunishment wrote:The only reason RB2 never had a story is because of the "fans" who never wanted it and it was most likely those same people who cried about Galaxy mode too. Which made them make a Hero Mode in UT.
I don't think you have any factual basis for that statement. I'm relatively sure the English language feedback on the first Raging Blast had little-to-nothing to do with how the second game shaped up, and instead was worked on according to what they had time/budget to actually do within that single year's time. If anything, Raging Blast 2 was an easy stepping-stone so they could get to work on Ultimate Blast/Tenkaichi ahead of schedule.

Of course, we don't actually know what any of the production timelines, budget, or even internal development team sizes look like, so it's all speculation. I just find it absurd to go out there and single-handedly declare you know the sole reason why things turned out the way they did.
It's more of a "It seems to me" which you can see by the way I write. More sarcastic than anything, I was meant to put quote marks around the "only" but I forgot. so I can see why you thought it was coming off in such a way.

They got Ultimate Tenkaichi from the survey they sent out so we know that Namco Bandai EU at least listen to some English feedback. If they chose the name themselves it most likely would have been one of the relevant Saiyan names that were options.

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Thu May 22, 2014 3:53 am

AjayLikesGaming wrote:Yes. I'm tired of them trying to create half a fighter and half an anime simulator too. They turn out like absolute shit every time.

You are making a game about a fighting anime, make a damn fighting game worth playing. Budokai 3 is a solid fighting game and is hailed as one of the best of all the DB games. Burst Limit was a decent effort at creating a fighting game while it making it anime appropriate but they fell short on playstyle variety.

It just baffles me that Hyper DBZ, a fan-made title, is the first Dragon Ball game in years to understand what it takes to actually be good.
Sparking Meteor has potential to be a great fighting game while still replicating the anime, but the way it's designed makes you rely on super moves thus slowing done the action. Change that aspect and ad some polish and SM could be a great DBZ game.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Thu May 22, 2014 4:42 am

ringworm128 wrote: Sparking Meteor has potential to be a great fighting game while still replicating the anime, but the way it's designed makes you rely on super moves thus slowing done the action. Change that aspect and ad some polish and SM could be a great DBZ game.
I don't agree with Sparking Meteor relying too much in super moves. The better someone plays in that game the less use of those moves. Ultimates are well balanced, they don't do way too much damage and thanks to the blast stocks you can't spam them one after another (as it happens in Raging Blast 2).

Check this video of someone playing. He barely uses any super move at all and he's fighting against Red Potara characters:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3SMApzM ... A649B0AF6A

Still the game is far from perfect, if it would have been updated instead of nerfed with Raging Blast we could have got some really great game.

chaospunishment
Beyond Newbie

Re: Are you tired of the same story in every DBZ game?

Post by chaospunishment » Thu May 22, 2014 10:43 am

You're never going to spam Ultimates in RB/2 unless the person you're fighting is as braindead as RB1 CPU.

The damage of Ultimates is also lower than BT2/3 unless you're talking about Nova Shenron's pointless Ultimate or PAL Super Explosive Wave Variants.

Colonel Silver
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Colonel Silver » Thu May 22, 2014 11:32 am

I'm sick of people shitting on Raging Blast 2 for no good reason. You know what? RB2 is the greatest DBZ game to date and it's a freaking shame it flopped. It had almost everything fans were clamoring for and there's just the fact that it's a good game. RB2 had solid gameplay, a solid roster, challenging fighting modes, awesome visuals, attack cinematics ripped right outta damn show, battle damage, character customization, online modes, unique anime cutscenes, what-if transformations, a song written just for this game and every character had a unique attack button. Also for what it was, it had decent balance... it completely shits all over Tenkaichi in that regard. The movesets alone shit on almost all the characters in Tenkaichi 3. I know I'm going off on a tangent here and I'm not speaking to anyone specifically in this topic, but I wish the DBZ fanbase would stop scapegoating Raging Blast 2. Raging Blast 2 isn't why DBZ games have become terrible.

Pretty sure had RB3 been released it would be the best DBZ game ever made. I shed a tear for what could have been.

Darknat
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Darknat » Thu May 22, 2014 12:25 pm

Colonel Silver wrote:I'm sick of people shitting on Raging Blast 2 for no good reason. You know what? RB2 is the greatest DBZ game to date and it's a freaking shame it flopped. It had almost everything fans were clamoring for and there's just the fact that it's a good game. RB2 had solid gameplay, a solid roster, challenging fighting modes, awesome visuals, attack cinematics ripped right outta damn show, battle damage, character customization, online modes, unique anime cutscenes, what-if transformations, a song written just for this game and every character had a unique attack button. Also for what it was, it had decent balance... it completely shits all over Tenkaichi in that regard. The movesets alone shit on almost all the characters in Tenkaichi 3. I know I'm going off on a tangent here and I'm not speaking to anyone specifically in this topic, but I wish the DBZ fanbase would stop scapegoating Raging Blast 2. Raging Blast 2 isn't why DBZ games have become terrible.

Pretty sure had RB3 been released it would be the best DBZ game ever made. I shed a tear for what could have been.
I would have liked a Raging Blast 3. My problem with Raging Blast, and that includes the first game, is that they dropped several things from Sparking Meteor. I'm not saying they didn't add things, but personally Raging Blast and Raging Blast 2 didn't offer enough good gameplay.

Ultimates are way overpowered in Raging Blast 2, and you can even throw 2 one after another. True that a player will evade them easily, but that does not mean they can be spammed. The gameplay is slower and repetitive. There are less chains and thus less way to be creative with the combos. Animations and chains are done in the same order for all characters (not combos though, there are some variants to this). The customization is not as good as some people claim, on one hand is nice to have so many attacks, but on the other is frustrating to not being able to equip all attacks used in the same saga of the anime. I prefer having different iterations of the same character than this kind of customization (I'm probably alone in this regard). Finally the rest frames after ultimates are way too long. I know that's because you are supposed to use cancels, but still it's way too long. And the change from characters minigame is just annoying.

That's what I think about gameplay itself, but it had other problems, the menus were boring, lack of interesting modes, lack of storyline, which as I said earlier I'm not tired off. The game visually was not bad, but I still prefer cellshading over that muddy look it had. And I didn't care much about the what if characters. They should have added them the base characters instead of having them as separate ones.

Raging Blast 2 was an improvement over Raging Blast 1, but the problem is that they were a step back from Sparking Meteor. I would have liked a RB3 because maybe they would have added back some of the things Sparking Meteor had.

I still play Sparking Meteor today, Raging Blast 2 not so much even though it would be convenient because I usually have my PS3 connected whereas I have to connect my PS2 each time I want to play Sparking Meteor (I have a PS3 without PS2 cappabilities).

chaospunishment
Beyond Newbie

Post by chaospunishment » Thu May 22, 2014 1:36 pm

Ultimates are way overpowered in Raging Blast 2
Ultimates are the weakest they've ever been in RB2. 15,200 Is the max damage with no boosts without being a suicide move to the lowest defence.
and you can even throw 2 one after another. True that a player will evade them easily, but that does not mean they can be spammed.
It really does.
The gameplay is slower and repetitive. There are less chains and thus less way to be creative with the combos. Animations and chains are done in the same order for all characters (not combos though, there are some variants to this).
It's not slower, It's as fast as you can make it. Guard Cancelling, Rush vanish Smash cancelling, Sidestepping, Signatures. Assault Chases and Cancels let you be as creative as you want.
Finally the rest frames after ultimates are way too long. I know that's because you are supposed to use cancels, but still it's way too long.
If they can be spammed (to you) then say this? If you use ultimate and the opponent dodges, what's the point in them dodging if there's no punishment? That's like saying you want to be able to use Supers over and over with no cooldown time and not give the opponent any chance to fight back.

I agree with the customization except the separate characters. The rest are opinions, I won't argue with those but what I quotes was just wrong.

Back on topic. I like what Sagas tried to do, but they just never pulled it off properly. If they could do something creative with the story then it would be good.
Last edited by chaospunishment on Thu May 22, 2014 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu May 22, 2014 1:37 pm

For Dragon Ball Z games I don't really care about the story, but it's always nice to revisit Dragon Ball where it all began and even more so if they change things here and there like they've done in Dragon Ball: DS1 & Dragon Ball: DS2.

Although I'll have to say that starting off Dragon Ball: DS2 by searching for a monkey who stole my Nyoibou isn't exactly a good way to begin the game and the music just kept on looping, but it had that Dragon Ball feeling to it so it's all right.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray