Dr. Who?

Discussion, generally of an in-universe nature, regarding any aspect of the franchise (including movies, spin-offs, etc.) such as: techniques, character relationships, internal back-history, its universe, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Dr. Who?

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:51 am

This might be a good topic for the rumor or Factoid section, because something about this doesn't add up...

According to Trunks in DBZ, Dr. Gero created all the artificial humans for the Red Ribbon Army, which would include Android #8 right? Except that after destroying muscle tower, Goku goes to meet with 8's creator, Dr. Frappe. Some people have said that Dr. Gero and Dr. Frappe were the same person, except they look almost nothing alike.

Can anyone offer a explination?

EDIT: Maybe this should be used for the next "Ask Vegetto" update?
Last edited by Deus ex Machina on Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jan 20, 2004 2:53 am

It's probably the same as always. Toriyama's inconsistency and forgetfulness. As far as I've always been told, Goku never actually met Dr. Gero.

gohan_rules
Banned

Post by gohan_rules » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:10 am

they could be the same person because how many years is it since that goku meet dr frappe must be about 20 or 30 years so he could have aged a lot!! a part for that this should go down as a blip in akira's story writing
the lifes of gohan chi-chi and every one else they all depend on. me i dnt care if your a millon times stronger than me i'm not going to let them down. so get ready friza this time your the one going down!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:13 pm

Whoa! To defend Toriyama-sama, MY PRECIOUS!!!!, this Dr Frappe guy doesn't exist in the manga, and we only find out Franky 8 was made by Dr Gero when Cell makes his appearance. So this was Toei probably making a filler ep in the DB era of the anime.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:03 pm

Yep yep. Toei likes to jump the gun. In fact, I remember there was a page in the manga (I think it was a title page or something) that lists all of Gero's creations. It only actually showed 8, 16-20, and Cell, but it briefly mentioned the others.

Maybe someone should make a big list of all these filler inconsistencies. :D

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:07 pm

TripleRach wrote:Maybe someone should make a big list of all these filler inconsistencies. :D
Stop coming up with new section ideas!! If I was 16 and still in high school, again, I'd consider it :P. Damn lack of any free time, these days...
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:15 pm

Hehe, I was kind of kidding, you seem busy enough as it is.

Actually, there's only maybe four or five big filler problems like this, so it probably doesn't need its own "section" or anything. And they're all easy enough to explain and answer on forums like this.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:20 pm

TripleRach wrote:Hehe, I was kind of kidding, you seem busy enough as it is.

Actually, there's only maybe four or five big filler problems like this, so it probably doesn't need its own "section" or anything. And they're all easy enough to explain and answer on forums like this.
That's the kind of stuff I'd love to feature as a section, though. I honestly don't see anyone get that far into DB 'lore on their sites... it's all "Budokai Winners" and "Deaths" and "Power Levels"... that's nonsense information that anyone who's SEEN the show can figure out on their own.

If someone wanted to write it out all nice and purty for me... :D
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:52 pm

Well hmm, I seem to be free for the rest of the day, and I wouldn't mind writing up something like that. I'd just need to remember what all of the issues are... Creation of the Dragon Balls, Dr. Frappe, destruction of Planet Vegeta... Maybe also movie stuff, like Haiya Dragon, Tapion's sword, the entire Garlic Jr saga... There's also a few contradictory things that don't necessarily cause any problems, like when Mirai Trunks first goes SSJ, Kargo's death, when Videl discovers Gohan is Great Saiyaman...

Anything else? I'm probably forgetting things.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:46 pm

Yes. The filler episode where Piccolo destroys Goku's Saiyajin space pod, only to have it pop up later when Goku uses it to fly to Namek! :wink:

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:20 pm

It may be too small for a section, but inconsistencies are still a very interesting topic. Even if you were just to write a bit about them every once in a while in a stickied post, that would be great.

Or, assuming that you can come up with enough small things, you could make a section which consists of a bunch of small guides.

Maybe you can put the inconsistencies in your factoids guide? Truly, you don't have to be rushed about making a bunch of guides right now. Just do them one by one...

rubeboi
Banned

Post by rubeboi » Fri Jan 23, 2004 6:16 am

the one thing that ticks me off is that why is everyone sticking up for akria he hate dragon ball z he hates the fact that he probale got rich off it even tho he did make it i'm jus saying that he's not the saint that every-one thinks he is

Rude boi for life
ruff riders-there back

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:05 pm

the one thing that ticks me off is that why is everyone sticking up for akria he hate dragon ball z he hates the fact that he probale got rich off it even tho he did make it i'm jus saying that he's not the saint that every-one thinks he is
Shaddap. :evil:

Translation of "The Anime and Me", a 15 panel manga by Toriyama himself:

Panels 1-10=blabla about history of the story, Goku, etc.

Panel 11: "It was even adapted for anime, which made me really, really happy. I have to congratulate and thank everybody who worked on it, as it was excellently done and must have been a lot of hard work."

Panel 12: "...I did almost no work concerning the anime, I trusted my correspondants for that. I was just way too busy with the manga to work on it!"

Panel 14: Of course, many manga fans must have noticed people and scenes that were never in the manga."

Panel 15: "The reason being is because each manga chapter adds up to about 10 mins of anime. If it continued like that, then the series would be over very quickly since every episode is about 30 mins long. So the team decided to create some original stories. I admire their hard work and determination. It was a heck of a job!"
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Pancakes

Post by Pancakes » Sun Feb 01, 2004 7:49 pm

rubeboi wrote:the one thing that ticks me off is that why is everyone sticking up for akria he hate dragon ball z he hates the fact that he probale got rich off it even tho he did make it i'm jus saying that he's not the saint that every-one thinks he is

Rude boi for life
Eh..........what?

I think he's trying to speak to me!!!

Adamant
I Live Here

Post by Adamant » Mon Feb 02, 2004 2:10 pm

rubeboi wrote:the one thing that ticks me off is that why is everyone sticking up for akria he hate dragon ball z he hates the fact that he probale got rich off it even tho he did make it i'm jus saying that he's not the saint that every-one thinks he is

Rude boi for life
The one thing that ticks me off is that everyone is sticking up for Akira.
He hates Dragon Ball Z, he hates the fact that it probably made him rich.
Even though he was the creator of the series, I'm just saying that he's not the saint everone think he is.

"Rude boi" for life (now banned)

Dai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Dai » Mon Feb 02, 2004 4:10 pm

Hey, ''Rude Boi'' is totally right! Of course Akira Toriyama hates and loathes the thing he spent ten years of his life on!! And of course, disliking your own work makes you an insensitive bastard who should be ritually burned.

Thank you for your eye-opening words, ''Rude Boi''! I love you!
[url=http://www.projectafter.com]Project AFTER[/url]: Every fanfiction's worst nightmare.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Sat Feb 07, 2004 7:32 pm

this ones for Rude Boi:

(granted I'm no mod so I didnt ban him but I felt this was approproiate)
-Laserkid

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sat Feb 07, 2004 9:12 pm

"And Adam said: "I'm nekkid! It's comedy GOLD in a manga!"
To which Kami replied: "Who told you that you were naked? One would only know if he ate the sacred fruit of the tree of might!"
Adam: "Uhh...Eve made me!"
Eve: "Who's in the what now?"

And Kami BANNED them from the message board, I mean Eden."

All there in the DB bible under pre-pre-pre-pre-dragonball in the chronology. 8)