DragonBall AF: The Prank (Revealed)

General discussion about Kanzenshuu, its content, features, contests, community, etc. This is NOT an off-topic forum!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:01 pm

It was done VERY professional-like. Had it not been April 1st, I might have been believing it to the very end of the night, when I whipped out my Japanese dictionary to see what the ad said...

I didn't try to translate the whole thing (feel asleep during it), but what I did translate made me laugh:

-The whole "I heard it from a friend". Man, that was pure gold.

-Toward the end of the caption next to Evil Trunks' picture, I was confused why it was so drawn out for "so". Then I realized... it was valley girl speak!

-The best was Toriyama's "What the Hell is this crap?" I think I popped a lung laughing.

But seriously, that was all I got. Thankfully, you guys posted a full trans so I wouldn't have to finish this morning.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Iyouboushi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Iyouboushi » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:01 pm

You know, when I first saw the post on Adult Swim and how people were beliving it, I was pretty mad. I've had to deal with people who didn't know AF was false for at least 4 years now (probably longer) in the anime channel I've run. So after all the explaining and what-not, I got sick of it and seeing someone "promoting" it as truth just cause the water to reach a boiling point.

However, I came back today and was amazed at all the hard work that went into it and now that the text had been translated, it is pretty funny. I only hope that everyone who took it seriously will come back and see how it was done and know that it wasn't real.

As for what I said about Akira Toriyama hating GT..well, I probably did get a lot of information from bad sites. Most of the interviews I've read were most likely translated wrong or I just plainly got bad info. I probably also jumped to conclusions about his feelings to GT when I read these two quotes from a 2002 interview:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dragon Ball was a serious pain. I was always wondering “The character can’t possibly get any stronger, do I have to continue this?”
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And:

quote:
"After the second half, pretty much all the power was just talk, just for the looks of it. The content was pretty empty and didn’t differ from other stuff."

Why would he enjoy a series if he thought it was a "serious pain" and that the "content was pretty empty" ? Sorry for jumping to conclusions.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:14 pm

I have absolutely no idea where you're getting those quotes from, who translated them, or who even might have interviewed him. I'm not even aware of any interviews Toriyama did in 2002, quite frankly.

The one thing we've been discussing on the subject is that when GT began, Toriyama said he liked the direction it was going in, and actually wished he had come up with the idea, himself! Greg might be able to shed a little more light on this; I think he's got the actual print somewhere (although it's probably in a different country :P).

Anyway, glad to hear you eventually over-came your initial feelings and enjoyed it :P. The whole point of the prank was, yeah... it's just been SOOOO huge of a rumor, but no-one's ever actually DONE something to REALLY try and prove it one way or the other. We were really just mocking that fact, and I think it worked out pretty well ^^;;

And not that this has anything to do with your post, but I just wanted to vent on it...

I keep seeing "Oh man, that ad was sooooo fake!" over and over on forums. Well no shit, Sherlock. Especially with the commercial, the video was merely a backdrop for the audio. If anything, that should have been the convincing thing; not the damn video track (then again, these kids don't actually know what Japanese commercials are like; Greg, I would have really liked to have all that random text scrolling across the screen... hehe... thing was, I really wanted to draw attention to the AUDIO, and not the VIDEO). The video portion (specifically the cards) was there to tell you it's "fake."

When I keep seeing this "Oh man, AF is lame and been done before. That's so fake!"... I dunno how to take it. Are they just jealous of the extent we took it do? I mean, honestly... we made fucking commercials and print-ads. Short of animating the damn show, I'd say that's pretty freakin' impressive.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Iyouboushi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Iyouboushi » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:33 pm

http://www.shonenanime.com/sa.php?sa=ainterview.shtml It says it's from an article that appeared in Shounen Jump. Unfornantly, I don't have a way to really confirm it.. I probably should have, before using it as a source.

They probably are jealous. :P I was, a little bit, when I learned to what extent you guys did to pull this off. I kept thinking "wow, I wish I could do something like that." (not with DB:AF though, that's been enough stress in life)..

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:40 pm

I somewhat remember reading this interview. Thing is... it doesn't say anywhere that he's talking about DBGT.

Remember... Toriyama's original plan was to end it after Freeza. And then at Cell. He was pressured into writing all this new, serious stuff when deep down, it sounds like he didn't want to. Look at the Buu saga; it's almost like he was toying with the fans! Majin Buu is hardly in the same vein as Freeza and Cell.

It just sounds like he's talking about his frustration with the Z-era storyline. Nothing to do with GT.

But... I'd like to kill of this conversation in this thread; you're more than welcome to discuss it in the other one I mentioned, but I'd prefer to keep this thread about the AF prank ^^;;
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Iyouboushi
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Iyouboushi » Fri Apr 02, 2004 2:46 pm

Fair enough. ^___^;

Gary
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gary » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:07 pm

It was great Mike. ^_^
Founder/Owner/Webmaster of [|[url=http://www.junk-anime.com/]Junk-Anime.com[/url]|]

Light

DBAF Prank

Post by Light » Fri Apr 02, 2004 3:32 pm

At first when I saw your post of the DBAF, I almost didn't believe it but after I downloaded it....., this is from a fan that doens't understand japanese with out subs, I fell for it hook line and sinker, I almost didn't but I did you guys truely got me....
the Light of the fans

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Fri Apr 02, 2004 5:40 pm

I kind of wish I had better reading skills in Japanese because that really would have made me laugh (I had enough to see the Katakana actually said Dragon Ball AF). Still a lot of effort went into it and kudos for that, I was pretty sure it was a joke, but it was pretty damn funny. I still think this will only make the morons worse but eh, it was worth it.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:15 pm

Julian you dirty son of a bitch. The April Fool video was great, but do you have ANY idea how many twits are going to use that article as "proof" in a month or two (ie: when ppl forget that it was a joke on the site) that DBAF is being made into an anime?! DAMN YOU!!!!!
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

kanjano

Post by kanjano » Fri Apr 02, 2004 7:31 pm

...i was on another forum talking about how i believe dbz was ruined by funimation, and the guy i was having the arguement told me about your prank. I didnt beleive it, but the other guy was COMPLETELY fooled by it. he honestly believed 100% of what you guys said. he also gave me a link to see the "proof" i had my doubts, but especially with the fan art on the ad. but the commercial gave it away. Sad but true. I've seen japanese comerials, and the video quality is not THAT clear, it was odviously made by dvd footage, which gave it away as fan made. Well, looks like you tried a little too hard. But it was a great prank. Best i've ever heard of. Congrats.

Its funny to think about how fooled that guy was. I told him he was tricked, but he refused to believe me.

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Fri Apr 02, 2004 8:01 pm

Sun_Wukong wrote:I just want to point you to this link,
http://www.dragonballtoys.com/forums/sh ... php?t=8012

note: I'm Son_Bardock over there.
One of the things said there was quoted on the features page, actually...

Man, some people are just stupid. I actually have no regrets about you making this joke, because it's going to make explaining the fact that AF doesn't exist to idiots a whole lot funnier.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Apr 02, 2004 9:19 pm

I agree with you there Zacko! I can't wait for them to site Julian's print ad or the commercial when I argue with them! :lol: "Look it says AF right there!" "You can hear how "evil" Trunks sounds in his voice, that's definitely newly recorded dialogue!" :lol: And about the snarky comments on other boards, I also think it's just jealousy. Especially after all the effort and skill that went into it, they just feel threatened that they've never thought of or gone to as much effort to do any joke. It's probably also that typical "fanboy snobbery". AF is a "loatheful rumour" and even joking about it I'm sure is "beneath them", as well as finding someone else doing it funny. :?
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Mirai no Beederu

Post by Mirai no Beederu » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:11 pm

Hehe. Sorry, EX. I went onto Meri's site first, quickly realized that was a prank, and figured the same for yours. That and it was April Fools and you both are (in)famous for your pranks;) But very nicely done. The eating shorts was a nice touch BTW.
Ah yes, and ignore Goku Jr. Annoying little fellas guys like him are. :-P
Hello, DaizenshuuEX-type people!:)

Manga Ka Kyo!
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Manga Ka Kyo! » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:21 pm

Geez I leave this site for 2 days and this is what i miss!

EX you maginficent BASTARD!!! What have you done!!! The logo is what really pushes it into high gear........AGGHHHHHHH MAKE IT REAL!!!!

The preview is good stuff. Knowing what the cards say it's really funny. I know theres a translation but is there a subtitled ver.? It took me an hour and a half to get the 1st one. I assume there isnt so you'll fool more people.
Last edited by Manga Ka Kyo! on Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CHA-LA HEAD CHA-LA!!!!!!
http://animekick.50megs.com/

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:23 pm

IMHO, perhaps it would have been more effective if you hadn't have used AF, and instead used another letter or combination of such. Probably something twisted like Dragon Ball X or whatever. But still, that's one hell of a prank you pulled. I'm reading the translated ad, and I'm barely containing myself from laughing.

"Run you damned fools! Your lives are getting shorter by the minute!! I won't rest until I have both of your heads sitting on my mantlepiece!! Do you hear me!? Do you hear me!?"

Geez, I seriously hope that Toriyama himself comes across this somehow. I'm sure he'd get a kick out of it. I missed it though; I wasn't on the computer that day. I was playing Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles before I had to go to work. =P

EDIT: Stevie Simmons himself e-mailed you about it?! That's cool; I can't remember, does he still do translations for FUNimation, or did somebody else take over?
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

VegettoEX

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:46 pm

Steve still does (the majority of?) translations for FUNimation. Clyde does the original DB (and possibly some other stuff). Steve posts on alt.fan.dragonball, and this forum as well, from time to time (he's "Mr. Subtitles" :P). He's a regular fan, just like the rest of us... he just gets paid to be a fan ^^.

Mattias
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mattias » Sat Apr 03, 2004 11:56 pm

Well, whatever the case, you certainly took the opportunity to let this prank fry--er, fly. Pardon my sudden bizarre urge to use Engrish there...ahem....
[i]"Well, Diane, I'm sure you and your brother are devistated for the two-headed monster that could have been,"[/i] ~ Tom Tucker.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:04 am

Mattias wrote:Well, whatever the case, you certainly took the opportunity to let this prank fry--er, fly. Pardon my sudden bizarre urge to use Engrish there...ahem....
Ha ha! You're just like Psy's little nephew. :D
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

B-kun
Advanced Regular

Post by B-kun » Sun Apr 04, 2004 12:37 am

.. There being more than one Psy in the world. Don't joke about that.