FUNimation DBZ "Legacy" Video Series

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Re: FUNimation DBZ "Legacy" Video Series

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Sat Jul 05, 2014 1:09 am

BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:A very strangely organized video. Why bring in the Battle of Gods trailer clips at the end?
Because they're using this as a promo piece for the film's upcoming theatrical release.[/quote]

Clearly. They just cut out to it so fast- thought it was going to be "we're talking about DBZ because of Battle of Gods that you know is coming," not "...by the way Battle of Gods!"
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Post by LordCrumb » Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:00 pm

Can anyone re-up these to non country-restrictive hosts?

majinboogc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by majinboogc » Sun Jul 06, 2014 3:20 am

See, This is proof that they have some control over the Mexican dub. Not only is that Ricardo Silva singing but it is a previously unheard full version of the Mexican Cha-La Head-Cha-La.

*Rant*
Why tease with Movie 5, Ultimate Uncut and the Spanish singles? They clearly have the entire dub and then some. I can guess why the Spanish singles sold poorly, FUNimation started over with the beginning rather than picking up where they left off with the Ultimate Uncut DVDs. I was interested in buying them but I already owned the Ultimate Uncut DVDs. So, why would I spend more on something that I had just bought? To top things off, the finally release the volume that followed the Ultimate Uncuts and they end it... GRAAAH!!! What's even more annoying is that Mexico hasn't released Dragon Ball or Z on DVD and only GT is complete but with horrible video transfers but great audio. Is it so hard to ask for a complete set with the Mexican dub?
I am SaiyaKaizoku.

What happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way. - Morpheus (The Matrix Reloaded)

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Sun Jul 06, 2014 1:46 pm

majinboogc wrote:See, This is proof that they have some control over the Mexican dub. Not only is that Ricardo Silva singing but it is a previously unheard full version of the Mexican Cha-La Head-Cha-La.

*Rant*
Why tease with Movie 5, Ultimate Uncut and the Spanish singles? They clearly have the entire dub and then some. I can guess why the Spanish singles sold poorly, FUNimation started over with the beginning rather than picking up where they left off with the Ultimate Uncut DVDs. I was interested in buying them but I already owned the Ultimate Uncut DVDs. So, why would I spend more on something that I had just bought? To top things off, the finally release the volume that followed the Ultimate Uncuts and they end it... GRAAAH!!! What's even more annoying is that Mexico hasn't released Dragon Ball or Z on DVD and only GT is complete but with horrible video transfers but great audio. Is it so hard to ask for a complete set with the Mexican dub?
This has never been clear. I don't think people ask about the Mexican dub at cons or anything like that so there's really no reason for them to talk about it. I'm sure if we made more noise about it, we might get... something...? I don't know...

Also, I don't think they have the complete Mexican dub. I think they might only have the Saiyan arc and some early Namek stuff. I say this because at the time DBZ first started airing on broadcast television (before Toonami\Ocean dub) a Spanish station here in NY (Telemundo) would air DBZ in Spanish. They would always get up to Namek, then repeat back to Raditz. I always thought it was weird because at the time I didn't think FUNimation would have anything to do with distributing that dub. I mean, I don't know if it was actually FUNimation who were the ones giving Telemundo these episodes but the timing seems to be right... *shrugs*

majinboogc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by majinboogc » Sun Jul 06, 2014 4:26 pm

Tanooki Kuribo wrote:This has never been clear. I don't think people ask about the Mexican dub at cons or anything like that so there's really no reason for them to talk about it. I'm sure if we made more noise about it, we might get... something...? I don't know...

Also, I don't think they have the complete Mexican dub. I think they might only have the Saiyan arc and some early Namek stuff. I say this because at the time DBZ first started airing on broadcast television (before Toonami\Ocean dub) a Spanish station here in NY (Telemundo) would air DBZ in Spanish. They would always get up to Namek, then repeat back to Raditz. I always thought it was weird because at the time I didn't think FUNimation would have anything to do with distributing that dub. I mean, I don't know if it was actually FUNimation who were the ones giving Telemundo these episodes but the timing seems to be right... *shrugs*
I had the perfect opportunity to ask but I completely forgot to do it but I completely agree that we do have to make noise to get something...

The reason that Telemundo stopped airing DBZ was because it was bought by NBC/Universal. My local Telemundo station got as far as the Androids before NBC/Universal completely changed the programming. Thankfully the signal from Televisas Canal 5* affiliate from Tijuana reached my house! I think FUNimation had to at least grant permission to broadcast since Telemundo has always been based out of Miami, Florida.
I am SaiyaKaizoku.

What happened happened and couldn't have happened any other way. - Morpheus (The Matrix Reloaded)

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:56 pm

Here's part three. It discuses the early goings of getting the show on TV in the US.

I feel like these videos are really too short to get much out of them. But hey, they're BoG ads.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:51 pm

So Dragon Ball was the most searched term on the web in 2001? Huh, ya learn something new everyday.

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Wed Jul 09, 2014 9:14 pm

WittyUsername wrote:So Dragon Ball was the most searched term on the web in 2001? Huh, ya learn something new everyday.
Yup, on Lycos. Not far behind was Britney Spears (I don't remember what I ate for dinner last night, but I remember this?!)

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Thu Jul 10, 2014 11:46 am

Super Saiyan Prime wrote:Here's part three. It discuses the early goings of getting the show on TV in the US.

I feel like these videos are really too short to get much out of them. But hey, they're BoG ads.
Haha!! That news report:
"Was Johnny Quest Japanese animation?"
"Yes"
Edit:
Or maybe it was Japanese animation? That would explain why it was an awesome show.

Cool seeing what the American Toonami intro's were like.

WesMan23
Beyond Newbie

Post by WesMan23 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:50 pm

That was pretty cool, though, as said, short. But, it brought back a lot of memories rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Toonami. It really did have a massive impact over here. Looking back, it was a behemoth, and although it's no longer as big a deal as it was 10-15 years ago, it's still making an impact. Subpar dub, etc. nonwithstanding, it really does say something about the strengths of the show, with the incredible amounts of merchandise available, the fact that new games are coming out regularly, refreshed versions of the show, new movies, and so on. FYE around here even recently started selling DBZ merchandise again. The success of this show did not happen on accident, and it truly is a legacy, through and through. FUNi may have made some errors when they dubbed the show, but, I do not regret for one second that they acquired the rights and brought it stateside, because in that 20 year period, they have learned (for the most part, at least) to do the show justice. This is the ONLY franchise I've been actively involved in for nearly 20 years. Other ones, I get into, and get back out of from time to time, but I've never not followed Dragon Ball in some form, since the early days of Planet Namek, Vegeta Insane, and of course, DaizenshuuEx.

The idea of Dragon Ball itself fits very well with one of the most common aspects of the anime, as it always comes back, no matter what damages the reputation of it.
"You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!" - Goku, Dragon Ball Z Kai, The Angry Super Saiyan! Throw Your Hat in the Ring, Son Goku!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:47 am

There was a lot of interesting information in this 4-part documentary like Hollywood thinking Dragon Ball wasn't good enough for them? Screw them then!

I do remember watching Dragon Ball (+ Z) on Cartoon Network (Spain, Germany) which would always attract my attention as a kid whether it was during the mornings, afternoons or midnights (23am-ish).

FUNimation for this mini-documentary used footage of the Level Blu-rays which is odd because they should've used the Season BDs to promote their newer remastering plus later on they show scenes of Dead Zone from their Double Features' set. And why is the Spanish Latin version of CLHCL playing in the background on Part 1?

Now here's three screenshots of the Level BDs from Legacy Part 2-4:
Wish they'd have shown bits of the unreleased Level BDs like from the Freeza arc to Artificial Humans arc and more.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray