What do you think of my site's design?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

What do you think of my site's design?

Post by Alias » Tue Jan 20, 2004 7:13 am

Hi...

I've finished the design of a Dragon Ball site I've been working on and am looking for honest opinions about how it looks. I've done dozens of designs (I'm a bit of an obsessive perfectionist...), and this is the first that I've been semi-satisfied with. I've tried asking for criticisms on other anime forums, but all I've gotten are these typical responses...

"It's Dragon Ball? It sucks!"

"You suck for making a Dragon Ball site!"

...and the ever-so-common: "Evangelion is God. Ditch Dragon Shit-Ball and realize the greatness that is Evangelion!" *eye twitches*

Anyway, it's a fairly simple design, nothing outstanding. I'm mostly going for a unique and pretty look. The focus of the site will be editorials, fanworks, theories, alternate possibilities, projects (I'm working on translating Goku Hishouden ^_^), and other misc things.

The title it's got now won't be the title of the site, it's just there to give an idea of what the actual title will look like once I've decided on one.

The url is: http://www.geocities.com/nonamesites/index.html
(none of the links work at the moment)

Sorry for posting this in the general discussion section, I couldn't think of any other sections to post this.

Any opinions, criticisms, suggestions, etc... are deeply appreciated.

Ja ne!

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 20, 2004 12:02 pm

Obviously on a Dragonball site we're not going to slam you for making a Dragonball site. But since I can't access anything but that little design on the homepage I will slam you for spamming your site on the boards. Do it in your sig like the rest of us! :D
I like the pic of princeling Vegeta though. But why is Trunks kidnapping him? :?
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

XxShinGokuxX

Post by XxShinGokuxX » Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:04 pm

:D Dragonball site yes. :arrow: Geocities ummm no. :?

I likt that pic you got on main page but your design is old fashioned IMO.

laserkid
Advanced Regular

Post by laserkid » Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:19 pm

I like the image there, havent seen it before but eh the site needs more, its a design but *shrugs* a design without content is a waste of time, and it feles insulting you made the time to make "fake updates"

Come back when you have content.
-Laserkid

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:10 pm

The 'Fake Updates' was just to show how the page will look. I'm asking for a critique on the design only to determine whether to use it or scrap it for something else. I finished most of the content for my site on another design long ago. I haven't yet transferred it over to this design.

I'm not using Geocities to host it, just to test it. I haven't yet decided on a host.

The image is from a Doujinshi I used to own years ago. I only scanned the cover from it, since I thought it was rather cute.

Sorry, I didn't think of this as spamming, since it wasn't to promote the site, just to ask for opinions about the design. Should I delete the topic then? I don't want to tick anybody off on my first post.... -_-

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:17 pm

I think I'm the only one who doesn't care much for site designs as long as they're easily accessible, quick to load and popup free.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.

Gary
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Gary » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:44 pm

Dayspring wrote:I think I'm the only one who doesn't care much for site designs as long as they're easily accessible, quick to load and popup free.
a lot of people are like this. ^_^

Sites with quality information are what catch my eye. That and if they are quick to load. Layouts don't have to be beautiful pieces of art but something that is nice and neat.

This concept is pretty nice but there is a lot of dead space on the left since it is aligned on the right.
Founder/Owner/Webmaster of [|[url=http://www.junk-anime.com/]Junk-Anime.com[/url]|]

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Tue Jan 20, 2004 8:47 pm

I like the pic of princeling Vegeta though. But why is Trunks kidnapping him?
Oh, and by the way. The pic on the site is of Trunks nabbing the little prince from Vegetasei. If memory serves right, once of the stories in the Doujinshi was of Trunks attempting to prevent his father from another timeline going through years of servitude and ending up a little bitter psychopath. ^_^

Deus ex Machina
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Deus ex Machina » Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:02 pm

Interesting, I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product. You asked for honest feed-back, so here it is...

1. Place the 'menu' on left side. The Geocities banner clashes with the picture, so it will certainly be easier on the eyes.

2. Take out the black. The other colors are purple pastels, so it doesn't work well. I'd recommend either white, or a very pale shade of purple.

3. Relocate the menu links. Their all the way at the bottom of the screen, forcing you to scroll down or shift your eyes lower. Remember, web-surfers are lazy, and the more they have to do to access your content the more likely they are to leave.

I hope you find these useful.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Tue Jan 20, 2004 11:04 pm

I also like a site with a lot of info. The other main thing that will put me off a site is definitely the loading time. You can have I really good site I'm interested in, but if it's taking 50 years to load, then I'm not going to stick around!

Alias
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Alias » Wed Jan 21, 2004 1:44 am

Thanks for the input. I'm probably gonna stick with this design since I didn't get any "Agh! My eyes!" responses. ^_^

The menu is going to stay where it is, since it's small and the layout looks pretty bad when the menu is moved over to the side. You don't have to scroll to see it in resolutions of 800x600 and higher, which most people have.

As for colors... I tried using other lighter shades, but nothing looked quite right. White doesn't work at all, though I may try a few more shades of purple.

I'm not using any hosts with ads, so there won't be anything blocking the layout when it's finished.

As for info... The site won't have much in the way of 'facts', such as bios, power levels, locations, etc... 99% of DB sites have that stuff already. It'll be mostly theories, editorials, explanations for plot holes, etc...

Thanks again!
Ja!

Jakez04
Beyond Newbie

Post by Jakez04 » Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:54 pm

The Picture is pretty cool. But I got to agree with ol'girl the design is basic. But hey do your own thing.
Da Name is Jakez -ROC Baby!
[url=http://www.geocities.com/dragonfistgt]DragonFistGT![/url]

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Wed Jan 21, 2004 6:44 pm

No offense Jakez04 but the goals of your site are sad... Be original! You just said it yourself: Do your own thing.