Post your Battle of Gods Theatre Experience

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Re: Post your Battle of Gods Theatre Experience

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:08 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:Also, I wound up sitting in front of a subbie who kept saying "SIGH-an!" when Beerus first mentioned the Super Saiyan form. :|
Don't see the problem, I love the dub myself, but if I'm disucssing the series I always use that pronunciation, it's more accurate than Say-an.

Oh, he was being a dick about it, misread your post. My bad.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:11 pm

SSJ4 Furanki wrote:
jjgp1112 wrote:Also, I wound up sitting in front of a subbie who kept saying "SIGH-an!" when Beerus first mentioned the Super Saiyan form. :|
Don't see the problem, I love the dub myself, but if I'm disucssing the series I always use that pronunciation, it's more accurate than Say-an.

That's understandable, but the way he was doing it was obnoxious. He was saying it as if he were correcting FUNi.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

DynasticHunter
Beyond Newbie

Post by DynasticHunter » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:11 pm

Valerius Dover wrote: I'm pretty obsessive about catching every line.

My audience laughed really hard at Vegeta singing and caused me to miss most of his performance :(
steam: broccoili

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:13 pm

jjgp1112 wrote:
SSJ4 Furanki wrote:

That's understandable, but the way he was doing it was obnoxious. He was saying it as if he were correcting FUNi.
Yeah, yelling Sigh-yan isn't going to make Say-yan go away. Sorry you had to deal with that. Seems like your equivalent moment to the TFS jokes that I mentioned back in my expierience post.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:16 pm

Tyro wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Seer, that was probably it. I knew it started with an "s". Thank you. But, yeah, point still stands. It's just so bland and not ... oracle fish!
I remember Beerus calling "Seer! Seer!", but at some point someone did call he/she/it "Oracle Fish" as well. In that respect it's like how the movie called Beerus "Beerus the Destroyer" and "God of Destruction", though the latter was more rare, unfortunately.
Are you sure about that? Because the first time I heard him say seer I started listening very intently just to make sure he wasn't going to use it later, and I never, ever heard it a single time.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:18 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:
Tyro wrote:
Gaffer Tape wrote:Seer, that was probably it. I knew it started with an "s". Thank you. But, yeah, point still stands. It's just so bland and not ... oracle fish!
I remember Beerus calling "Seer! Seer!", but at some point someone did call he/she/it "Oracle Fish" as well. In that respect it's like how the movie called Beerus "Beerus the Destroyer" and "God of Destruction", though the latter was more rare, unfortunately.
Are you sure about that? Because the first time I heard him say seer I started listening very intently just to make sure he wasn't going to use it later, and I never, ever heard it a single time.
Beerus did say Oracle Fish, but it was only once toward the end of that scene.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:19 pm

Just got back from the theater and I had a really good crowd. Every laughed at the right "cues", but besides that it was silence.

My only complaint is that the audio was a little too loud.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Tyro
Patreon Supporter

Post by Tyro » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:21 pm

Gaffer Tape wrote:Are you sure about that? Because the first time I heard him say seer I started listening very intently just to make sure he wasn't going to use it later, and I never, ever heard it a single time.
Yeah, I'm sure. At least, I think I'm sure, heh. Maybe I can find a clip of it, but I remember hearing it just after the "Seer! Seer!" part.

G1Ravage
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by G1Ravage » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:23 pm

Just got back from my local showing.

The theater was packed. Very few empty seats. Two guys in a semi-decent Goku outfit were doing the fusion dance down in front.

There were no previews of any kind. Promptly at 7:30 PM the screen turned on, and then we were greeted with what looked like the Blu-ray menu on a PlayStation 3, about to select "Play Blu-ray Disc". I'm sure it was just some sort of proprietary Sony machine that plays Blu-ray format media for movie theaters. A few company logos, and then right to the movie.

As reported by many others in this thread, the audio was coming only from a speaker directly behind the movie screen, and it never got loud enough to be sufficiently audible. Sitting in the back, I could barely hear what was being said. If a funny scene occurred, forget about it. With all the laughing, you missed about 20 to 30 seconds of dialog every time. I can't even remember what any of the music sounded like, nor could I hear any of the lyrics from the two insert songs.

Unfortunately that wasn't the only problem. Twice during the movie, the film suddenly stopped, and went to a black screen. The first time it happened, the audio continued for about 30 seconds before also stopping. After a minute or two of silence, whomever was working the projection room re-winded the footage to shortly before it stopped, and started it up again. We didn't miss anything, but that was highly unusual. Did FUNi distribute the movie on faulty Blu-ray discs? Each time the movie went out, the crowd became angry and started screaming.

Which leads into my next observation. The crowd was mixed with both younger children with their parents, as well as teenagers and young adults who grew up with the show. The teenagers and young adults were cursing annoyingly loud throughout the film, without any care that there were younger ears in the audience. It felt like I was watching a movie in a frat house.

The movie was very well received by the entire crowd, however. They cracked up at most of the humor, and seemed to enjoy the fight scenes as well. Overall, it was quite an experience.

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:46 pm

Just got back from a showing i ended up going to Edgewater NJ. Wow i loved this film and even moreso with this dub. Awesome job, the whole cast did so great. Very exciting experience. Zero seats to my eye appeared to be left once the movie actually began playing. Almost 100 percent of the people had dragonball z related shirts (including me and my girlfriend). I noticed 1 or 2 cosplayers including a future trunks whom did a pretty good job with the wig, sword, jacket, loose pants and boots. Overall awesome experience. :clap:

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:54 pm

Reading all these I'm glad that people have been enjoying the movie and it's packed but I'm really glad that our viewing audience is nothing like in US. People doing the Fusion Dance, laughing so loud you can't hear the movie, shouting "Sigh-yan", cursing, singing, doing the Kamehameha alongside Goku etc.

People here would just go watch the movie, sit down and shut up.

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:57 pm

Bullza wrote:Reading all these I'm glad that people have been enjoying the movie and it's packed but I'm really glad that our viewing audience is nothing like in US. People doing the Fusion Dance, laughing so loud you can't hear the movie, shouting "Sigh-yan", cursing, singing, doing the Kamehameha alongside Goku etc.

My crowd only laughed at times meant to make us laugh and really respected the movie. There was a lot of love for dragonball, not too much distraction. I could hear and see clearly the entire time, it was great. Glad you also enjoyed the movie.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:57 pm

Bullza wrote:Reading all these I'm glad that people have been enjoying the movie and it's packed but I'm really glad that our viewing audience is nothing like in US. People doing the Fusion Dance, laughing so loud you can't hear the movie, shouting "Sigh-yan", cursing, singing, doing the Kamehameha alongside Goku etc.

Sounds boring. I love a loud crowd. Owing Mills didn't chant the attacks names. But they was loud. I love that. I hate boring movie crowds. Especially when it's a good movie(BoG wasn't but seem the majority like it). I love everyone booed when Gohan lost.

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:02 pm

There are some things I forgot to mention, but my post is already practically buried. I was in the second row, overwhelmed by the size of the screen. I Robin Hood recorded a few moments of audio to give to people who aren't able to make it to any showings, and the speaker was a large one placed just below the screen in front of it. There were a few effects I noticed, like Pilaf off screen coming from the very back of the theater, The colors were fine, but some odd nitpicky things happened with the video fron time to time, like poor encoding or something. I heard some people with decent knowledge, and the crowd was actually great. They were silent for most of the film, but did cheer aloud. There was genuine laughter during the Gotenks scene, but I could hear it all very well. Ther were people dressed up, posters about, some old school buddies, and a really good time to be found. This is the happiest I've ever left a theater. The Saiyaman cheer was awesome.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

NeverRamza
Not-So-Newbie

Post by NeverRamza » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:05 pm

Saw this in the theater tonight which was the second showing out of two showings my theater was doing. It was about 60-70% full. It was pretty awesome seeing half the people walking in wearing DBZ shirts and random Dragon Ball conversation going from all directions while everyone waiting for the movie to being. The start of the movie got a really great cheer, everyone laughed at all the humor, and the credit screen got a great applause.

DBZ in a movie theater was truly a great experience.

I noticed the audience was a bit more squirrelly than what I'm used to. The crowd consisted of a few nerd-types that seem to lack self-awareness with oddly loud talking (without even attempting to wispier) about the movie from far away in the theater and a few more cell-phone lights than what a typical Marvel movie showing has.

Really though, I loved it. Even the dub was good.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:12 pm

TheGmGoken wrote:

Sounds boring. I love a loud crowd. Owing Mills didn't chant the attacks names. But they was loud. I love that. I hate boring movie crowds. Especially when it's a good movie(BoG wasn't but seem the majority like it). I love everyone booed when Gohan lost.
It seems to be an American thing to be louder and stuff. Not just with this movie of course but I hear how people will clap and cheer during the movies and shout out things.

I wouldn't want that, I pay money to see the movie not hear a bunch of screaming and shouting. Thankfully here people are just respectful and stay quiet. I have seen a movie in US once and it was surprisingly quiet so they aren't all like it.

OmegaRockman
Patreon Supporter

Post by OmegaRockman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:15 pm

So we went to another showing tonight with a friend that couldn't make it last night and I was impressed to see that the theater was almost as full as last night! Wow. I'm so happy that this movie seems to be popular in my area! We may go one more time on Saturday, but that's up in the air at the moment. We'll see what happens!
The self-proclaimed World's Biggest Dragon Ball Kai Fan™

My YouTube

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:15 pm

My girlfriend and I went and saw the 7:00 showing in Canton, GA. A few weeks ago, she knew next to nothing about Dragon Ball. But she and I have been doing our own little "book club" lately, so she decided to read ALL 42 VOLUMES before we went and saw the film. In exchange, I'm reading "The Time Traveler's Wife" (which I'm actually really enjoying...) and about five or six of her other favorite novels. It was pretty much the sweetest thing ever. It was fascinating to watch the movie with someone who's only read the comic (And in the proper order, too! She wasn't forced to start with the Saiyan arc like most of us were!); this was her first Dragon Ball animation aside from a few two-minute Japanese YouTube clips.

Naturally, she's only really familiar with the Viz terms, so she got a little confused by "Shenron" and "King Kai." Her favorite part was the revelation that Videl was pregnant. Despite only reading the manga, she got very attached to Pan. She really likes Marron, too, for some reason, and was sad that she didn't appear more often. I told her she was probably going to have to get used to that. ^_^; She mostly enjoyed the movie and approved of most of the dub cast. Oh, but she hates Schemmel's Kaio voice. I was so happy! One of us, one of us...
BojGrass wrote:I'm curious now: if our screening was like that, and Mike's screening was too, I wonder how many others were.
Mine was, too. Just one center speaker above the movie screen. It was the very first thing I noticed and I was SO disappointed. :(
Gaffer Tape wrote:I hated the fact that they didn't use the name "oracle fish."
This has already been mentioned, but I can confirm that Tyro's right. He did indeed say "Oracle Fish" a little after his conversation with the "seer." It was only once, though.
jjgp1112 wrote:And when Goku asked Beerus to give him 5 minutes someone said "5 minutes? We're gonna be here all day" and everybody laughed
Hahaha! That's so perfect. :lol:

Okay, so! My experience. The theater was pretty packed, much to my surprise. Apparently everyone else's theaters were packed, too. I really, really wasn't expecting this. We had a few people sitting on the floor for a few minutes while everyone got their seating arrangements figured out. No cosplayers; there was a cute couple wearing orange shirts with the "Kaio" symbol on them, but that was it. There were a lot of "older" people there (30s, possibly 40s) along with the expected groups of kids with their parents. It was kinda nice to see such a diversity of fans. The crowd was mostly courteous during the film; I was very relieved. One brat did shout when Whis said that Goku defeated Freeza. "Uh, that was TRUNKS!" Oh-wow-hahaha-you're-such-a-hardcore-fan-hohoho-shut-the-hell-up-please. It was very strange to see a movie with no previews. The lights just dimmed and the film started. It felt... weird but kinda nice? I dunno.

A lot of the jokes connected perfectly. The first thing to really get a laugh was the "length of an anime episode" gag. Trunks got a lot of laughs. My favorite joke was his "I want to break up" line (which I'm pretty sure is dub-only?). Vegeta's "My Bulma" line got a laugh from my audience (???), and Goku's impression of him had everybody howling. The only thing that didn't connect with anybody was the Pilaf crew, which really made me sad. The only joke that even got a chuckle was Pilaf's graffiti. And it wasn't just your usual lack of laughter; it was far more uncomfortable. I think everyone was genuinely confused. Not one person in that theater did anything to imply that they knew who these people were. I think my audience had only seen the Dragon Ball Z cartoon and nothing else; it seemed like they honestly believed that the trio was just a random group of kids who had wandered into Capsule Corp. It was a letdown, but at least my girlfriend and I knew what was going on.

I had my usual list of dub nitpicks, but I tried to let myself just relax and enjoy the movie for once. It was fun. It was a lot of fun.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

BojGrass
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BojGrass » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:25 pm

I feel compelled to post an updated experience since tonight was originally going to be the night I saw the movie and I had my ticket already before I wound up watching it with friends a few towns over last night.

All the problems that I mentioned happening in the showing last night were almost completely missing. The image was still washed out a bit and the audio certainly wasn't in surround sound, but it was the full spectrum of sound (or at least as full as I can hear from around 60hz to 16.5kHz) as opposed to all mids to highs and absolutely no bottom end. The crowds were roughly similar between nights and what everyone else has said.
I've been to two showings that were almost full to full. The showing tonight in my "more-localer" theater had sold out, and several people were there tonight that had said they couldn't get in last night because it had sold out then too. I would love it if Battle of Gods did well enough this time around that we got a wider release with DBZ 2015. Oh: this crowd was a bit quieter so some of the more subtle after-joke jokes were audible.
It seems to be an American thing to be louder and stuff. Not just with this movie of course but I hear how people will clap and cheer during the movies and shout out things.

I wouldn't want that, I pay money to see the movie not hear a bunch of screaming and shouting. Thankfully here people are just respectful and stay quiet. I have seen a movie in US once and it was surprisingly quiet so they aren't all like it.
Actually, for me it's been a recent development within the last five years. I don't remember the applauding the movie as though it were a live event thing happening until when I went to see Star Wars I back in 1999, and even then that was the only movie it happened in, and it was almost expected since there had been practically no new Star Wars since the '80s. (I guess actually you could argue the same for this movie.) It seems to me to have gotten worse over time as well, especially at nerdy movies.
BojGrass wrote:
I'm curious now: if our screening was like that, and Mike's screening was too, I wonder how many others were.

Mine was, too. It was the very first thing I noticed and I was SO disappointed. :(
That sucks dude. Maybe it was just the theater though like it was in my case, as I said, still not surround, but it at least had some meat to it compared to the one last night.

@MagicBox: The lack of appreciation for Pilaf at your showing is sad to me. :( My showing last night seemed like they knew who he was, but didn't really react one way or the other to his appearance, but once it got into the jokes they were laughing. Now, the crowd tonight recognized him and and was kind of lightly giggling from the start.
Last edited by BojGrass on Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:25 pm

MagicBox wrote:*snip*
I was in a Georgia showing too! Although in my experience, everybody IMMEDIATELY recognized Pilaf and the instant he and the crew showed up he received amused gasps and laughter. They were roaring throughout all of his antics.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler