FUNi changed the title card text for the BDs?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Kid Buu
I Live Here

Re: FUNi changed the title card text for the BDs?

Post by Kid Buu » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:44 pm

You know I completely just remembered that I own all the Single Sets from back in the day in the garage.... :lol:

No Blurays for me.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:55 pm

Kid Buu wrote:You know I completely just remembered that I own all the Single Sets from back in the day in the garage.... :lol:

No Blurays for me.
I've thought about getting those before. Maybe I shouldn't have sold my Dragon Boxes Z. All the Dragon Boxes plus all the Funi singles and I'd have everything I need.

Now I'm stuck waiting for a Levels release that's never actually going to happen.

Tatakae!!Ramenman
Beyond Newbie

Post by Tatakae!!Ramenman » Sun Aug 17, 2014 8:06 pm

Whenever I want to watch the english version, I just watch the edited VHS tapes. When I want to watch the japanese version, I watch my Dragon Boxes. The single DVDs or the VHS tapes are the best version to get if you want the original dub and don't want any changes to it. The only down side is that you don't get an episode recap for every episode and you don't get a next episode preview for every episode.
Neo died for our smiths.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Aug 17, 2014 9:08 pm

I'm sure it's just that the old title cards were produced at standard definition resolution and mastered to tape. If these were to be HD productions, they couldn't just scale the old title cards up, and the Japanese film reels obviously have Japanese title cards and not dub title cards. They had to recreate them from scratch.

And whoever it was doing it either doesn't still have the same font, couldn't match it, didn't care, or some combination of all that.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Soul
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Soul » Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:46 pm

Eh, I guess I'm in the same group that PREFERS these new title cards. They don't look ridiculous, they look sleek while as someone mentioned before, going for a look similar to the Japanese title cards.

Though I guess my question is, what were the title cards on the Level Sets like?

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:05 am

VegettoEX wrote:I'm sure it's just that the old title cards were produced at standard definition resolution and mastered to tape. If these were to be HD productions, they couldn't just scale the old title cards up, and the Japanese film reels obviously have Japanese title cards and not dub title cards. They had to recreate them from scratch.

And whomever it was doing it either doesn't still have the same font, couldn't match it, didn't care, or some combination of all that.
Interesting, though I'm not sure what "mastered to tape" means.

From what I see, it seems like the new title cards are more accurate to the Japanese version. The placement of the dragon balls is correct as far as I can tell.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:19 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Yup, preferred the OB title cards.

(Screen courtesy of qjz123)
The Season BD title cards look more normalised and less silly/idiotic than the Orange Bricks whice I've honestly never liked though the English title cards on the Level BDs were OK too. I think Kai had the best of the three in terms of English title cards.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:34 am

I think Kai had the best of the three in terms of English title cards.
Which one, the broadcast version or the home video version?
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Aug 18, 2014 8:53 am

The home release but the TV was quite good too, imo.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:08 am

There's something about the new font that I like but nostalgia is screaming "NO!" at me.

Just seeing the Funimation title card made me play the music over in my head.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:38 am

Since I'm currently seeing DBZ in English, that Faulconer Title Card theme comes to mind. However, sometimes I hear the Johnson one as well since that was the first one I heard. I guess it would depend on which Title Card you show me of course.

Also, I think this must've been pointed out before, but isn't it odd how the title cards in the Japanese version are read outloud whereas the dub ones are not? I found this out recently while spot checking for insert songs on the Blue Bricks. A case of speaking in the original that's silenced in the dub? Well, the pigs are flying, indeed.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:48 am

Valerius Dover wrote:Also, I think this must've been pointed out before, but isn't it odd how the title cards in the Japanese version are read outloud whereas the dub ones are not? I found this out recently while spot checking for insert songs on the Blue Bricks. A case of speaking in the original that's silenced in the dub? Well, the pigs are flying, indeed.
The dub titles are far more concise. However, the writers did treat their audience as invalids much of the time, I'm surprised they didn't narrate the titles.

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:21 am

Completely on the side of "stop altering history." A part of of me wants to own the 275-episode version just so there's empirical proof forever it was here and was awful, but that means spending money on the "Rock the Dragon" set, and... No.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Post by ABED » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:30 am

B wrote:Completely on the side of "stop altering history." A part of of me wants to own the 275-episode version just so there's empirical proof forever it was here and was awful, but that means spending money on the "Rock the Dragon" set, and... No.
The Ocean dub is quite enjoyable, I'd take it over the early in-house dub.

I wouldn't be against making changes if the originals were also available. It's one of the reasons I don't have a problem with the changes Spielberg made to E.T. You can still watch the unaltered version. No such luck with Star Wars and DBZ.

eledoremassis02
I Live Here

Post by eledoremassis02 » Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:31 am

These new title cards work better with the Japanese music but its weird seeing them with the dub score. lol Reverse for the old title cards lol

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:13 pm

That reminds me. Did they fix the "Friends or Foes title appearing twice almost in a row mistake? They're both early in the Namek Saga.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Black_Anime_Fan
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Black_Anime_Fan » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:31 pm

Honestly, even the title cards for the Orange Bricks looked like shit. Not as bad as the BDs, no doubt, but the TV broadcast title cards look better to me. Here's a screenshot comparison between the original and remastered for episode 70/85.

Original:
Remastered (Orange Bricks):
Not so much the actual text, but I much prefer the bolder font from the original. Plus, the Dragonballs shown in the original actually look like dragonballs, the ones shown in the Orange Bricks and BDs look like bad paint jobs. If those stars looked any more faded they'd be borderline invisible.
Kid Buu wrote:You know I completely just remembered that I own all the Single Sets from back in the day in the garage.... :lol:

No Blurays for me.
WOO, high five!
Goku wrote:You haven't figured it out yet? I'm the Saiyan who came all the way from Earth for the sole purpose of beating you. I am the warrior you've heard of in legends, pure of heart and awakened by fury. That's what I am. I AM THE SUPER SAIYAN, SON GOKU!
DBZ ended after the Frieza Saga.

Gaffer Tape
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Gaffer Tape » Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:03 pm

Wow. I didn't know the orange bricks altered the title cards too. Good grief, FUNimation really is at George Lucas levels of not being able to leave their shit alone.
Do you follow the most comprehensive and entertaining Dragon Ball analysis series on YouTube? If you do, you're smart and awesome and fairly attractive. If not, see what all the fuss is about without even having to leave Kanzenshuu:

MistareFusion's Dragon Ball Dissection Series Discussion Thread! (Updated 4/1/24!)
Current Episode: A Match Made in Hell - Dragon Ball Dissection: The Super #17 Arc Part 2

Ashura
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ashura » Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:15 am

I think the current ones look fine. The old one was a freeware Star Trek font, and I always thought it looked out of place.

http://www.fontspace.com/allen-r-walden/final-frontier

The idea of 'you made it, don't change it', I understand that. But the thing is; Those old titles were done in SD. For HD they'd have to redo them anyway.
My favorite movie henchman is Sancho.

Follow my stupid crap on Twitter. Please note, I do not have time to reply to any PMs about color correction methods anymore; sorry about that.

[ Hoyoyo! Please pick up our Dr. Slump DVD! ]

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:54 am

And, keep in mind that the Orange Bricks were in fact scanned in HD. It's likely that those title cards were remade with the expectation that they'd be able to dump the master out on low-rent Blu-Rays later on. As far as I'm concerned, those sorts of changes are minimal and on the level of the Star Trek TNG Blu-Rays (which, regardless of recomping effects shots that were digital, look amazing.)
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]