Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Tanooki Kuribo
I Live Here

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2013 Movie Thread: "Battle of Gods

Post by Tanooki Kuribo » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:59 am

Hey, just wanna throw this out there ~

Walmart will have the DVD\Blu-ray combo pack but it will also contain the digital copy as well. It seems it's a Walmart exclusive, so if you're interested...

http://www.walmart.com/ip/39882197

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:07 am

Got my pack today, and it was my first time seeing the Extended cut. I loved the new scenes. The film was fine without the extra shots, but they added a much-appreciated "fluff" that filled a few gaps.

And, as before, the dub was definitely satisfying. Just enough small liberties were taken to give the humor it's own English-flavor, but still remain faithful to the spirit of the original. :D
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

MarcFBR
Advanced Regular

Post by MarcFBR » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:12 am

YamiAtomsk wrote:So in the dub it's Beerus and in the subtitles it's Beers. I was hoping we'd get a consistent name. Maybe we can get a statement from Simmons one of these days as to why he choose Beers.

Also both ENG and JP versions use English versions of Hero and Cha-La-Head-Cha-La because that's just what Toei gave them.
Haven't read the thread have you? Since this was all discussed at length a few pages back.
Visit The Fanboy Review for anime reviews.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Tue Oct 07, 2014 3:01 am

The Blu Ray version is #8 on Amazon's Best selling Blu Ray list.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:51 am

Bullza wrote:The Blu-ray version is #8 on Amazon's Best selling Blu-ray list.
Battle of Gods got beaten by Transformers: Age of Extinction, ouch, that's embarrassing.

Here are the Blu-ray best sellers on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movi ... 2958935011
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Freeza Soldier #156
Regular

Post by Freeza Soldier #156 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:24 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Battle of Gods got beaten by Transformers: Age of Extinction, ouch, that's embarrassing.

Here are the Blu-ray best sellers on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Movi ... 2958935011
I wouldn't say it's embarrassing at all. I'm pretty sure Bayformers is much more mainstream than DBZ. I'd say it's done pretty damn good to be that high on the list with the likes of huge sellers like The Hobbit, HG, etc.

My copy is being delivered today. The wait is killer.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:12 am

Yeah, it getting beaten out by Transformers isn't embarrassing at all. Transformers is a lot bigger of a deal to a majority of the US, especially these movies, so for DBZ to make it into the top ten at all is an amazing thing.

According to the tracking number in my RS e-mail (I always forget that they give those, because I rarely check up on them), it should be in at my post office waiting for me, whoo-hoo!
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:33 am

In the sense that Battle of Gods is a better film than Tr4ns, it is.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:58 am

I'm glad I ordered My Blu-ray set when I did cause amazon is now selling it for $31.48 You can get it a fuzz cheaper if you order from a different seller for $25.32+shipping.
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:44 pm

kei17 wrote: It may smell less, but it's still a poop. A single line "By the power of Kaio, transformation!" is enough to make a judgment on the quality of the dub. Also, even when FUNi first started dubbing the show themselves, their cast was at least acceptable enough to take it serious at important moments, but I've heard nothing worth calling "acting" in the Portuguese dub. What I hear is just ridiculously forced and high pitched male voices and moans that can hardly be called yells. Every fight scene sounds like characters are having a gay sex instead.

Even you still love it, just let it be a thing of the past. It's not something we should welcome in this century. BoG should get a faithful dub.
But like that what we're saying, our dub has a ton of problems, from having a a lot unfaithful lines, moments that should be funny get turned into a circus instead because of one actor/director stuburness, miscasted characters that the only way it could have worked with the number of actors (maximum being 7) was either doing a falsetto, using a filter or just using a voice that's already in the show and pray that no one notices it, but it also has moments where it's good, moments where its great, that's what we want, those moments being the standard.

Of course if BoG was dubbed here with unfailthful script with jokes filled in just because, we would get mad, just look at our reaction of most recent anime dubs that air in Portugal, we constantly bash them as well because it's not acceptable. But if BoG aired here in Portugal with the actors we love + a few more to replace the now dead/not working ones with those little but great moments being the standard, we would love it.

Well, 2 of the actors are indeed gay xD.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:52 pm

I have to wait for mine, i`ve ordered together with Sailor Moon BD #1 :) I really enjoy dub clips, and I'm sure, it will be way i watch it, as I'm not too big fan of way Japanese cast nowadays, it's really not disrespect, it's just my opinion. They were awesome in 90's, and i want to have that image of them from DB/DBZ/DBGT.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:18 pm

kei17 wrote: It may smell less, but it's still a poop. A single line "By the power of Kaio, transformation!" is enough to make a judgment on the quality of the dub. Also, even when FUNi first started dubbing the show themselves, their cast was at least acceptable enough to take it serious at important moments, but I've heard nothing worth calling "acting" in the Portuguese dub. What I hear is just ridiculously forced and high pitched male voices and moans that can hardly be called yells. Every fight scene sounds like characters are having a gay sex instead.

Even you still love it, just let it be a thing of the past. It's not something we should welcome in this century. BoG should get a faithful dub.
We had like 7 people in our cast to dub all these characters. And almost every character sounds different, they are talented.
And since when it sounds like they having sex?!. The only one that comes to mind is Goku turning ssj3 but I understand Feist intent. Goku was having a hard time turning ssj3 on living world, so instead of screaming in the last part he just end like that. Makes sense to me. Feist did the voice of Trunk and him turning ssj for the first time, its one of the few moments that I think we did better than japan.

Unfortunately finding just clips of your dub is hard, and I just could find the entire movie.
Stars at 31:00 min
http://www.animespt.tk/2014/03/dragon-b ... final.html
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:55 pm

To be fair, I didn't expect that comment to come from kei. A single line in a dub can only be used to judge the quality of the translation. If we were to judge dubs by that line, I wouldn't say the FUNi version was "acceptable". However, I suppose he meant how the line was said/acted. Again, with that you can judge ONE voice actor. References to gay sex and poop to describe any dub are, honestly, something I'd have only expected to find in YouTube.

I like looking for different dubs of the same series, and even though some of the ones I've heard sound horrible to me, I still haven't found a dub in which I thought "not even the fans would like the actors to return". Intonation and inflections vary a lot between languages, and what sounds horrible to someone who doesn't speak any given language may be great acting for someone who does. And if some actors are considered BAD even by native speakers, fans of the series who have grown with their voice, intonation, way of yelling/shouting/whatever... may still like them and want them to return to their roles if they're given the chance, and I, personally, don't see anything wrong with it.

Since it was the PT dub which started it, I'm going to give an example regarding it. I really like Henrique Feist as adult Goku, but I think his kid Goku/Gohan sounds really forced and unnatural. I don't like how Vegeta has such a high-pitched voice at the beginning of DBZ either. I also understand that a couple of the Spanish voices may sound weird to those who aren't used to them. However, I think that, if I were Portuguese and had heard the voices since I was a kid, I'd have grown accustomed to them up to the point of not wanting them to be replaced just because it's "a thing of the past".
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Oct 07, 2014 7:12 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:To be fair, I didn't expect that comment to come from kei. A single line in a dub can only be used to judge the quality of the translation. If we were to judge dubs by that line, I wouldn't say the FUNi version was "acceptable". However, I suppose he meant how the line was said/acted. Again, with that you can judge ONE voice actor. References to gay sex and poop to describe any dub are, honestly, something I'd have only expected to find in YouTube.

I like looking for different dubs of the same series, and even though some of the ones I've heard sound horrible to me, I still haven't found a dub in which I thought "not even the fans would like the actors to return". Intonation and inflections vary a lot between languages, and what sounds horrible to someone who doesn't speak any given language may be great acting for someone who does. And if some actors are considered BAD even by native speakers, fans of the series who have grown with their voice, intonation, way of yelling/shouting/whatever... may still like them and want them to return to their roles if they're given the chance, and I, personally, don't see anything wrong with it.
This pretty much sums it up.
Abou Dragon Ball discussion on youtube, its a lost cause. Already gave up.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

DragonBoxZTheMovies
I Live Here

Post by DragonBoxZTheMovies » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:23 pm

The menu is up on YouTube for anyone that's interested:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFB1IDMyaf0
Little disappointed that it uses the, uh, 'Terminator 2' theme from the trailers, rather than actual BGM from the film. But hey, it's just a menu so I'm not too fussed.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:42 pm

The Portuguese dub by itself had a mediocre cast but if that wasn't bad enough the script was inaccurate not only due to AB Groupe and their own shit thrown in (Miss Portugal, Big Show Sic, etc) they thought that making characters sound like robots or in some way gay-ish that'd be better for the series. Now the characters which had weird filters added to their voices follow as: Captain Ginyu team (Ginyu himself sounded pretty gay), Freeza (hard to tell if he's a man or a woman in this dub), Cell, Artificial Human No. 16, Super Vegeta (it's ridiculous that they made him sound like a motorbike when powering up), Piccolo/Namekians and others.

I'm just glad that they've never dubbed anything of Dragon Ball in Portugal ever again because while I'd like to hear it in my own language it'd probably be absolute shit like most dubs are nowadays (Doraemon and Shin-chan PT dubs are horrendous compared to the Castellano), and for that then they shouldn't even bother.

Anyway, *sigh* still gotta wait till November 10 before I get my Battle of Gods CE Blu-ray while FUNimation's already released theirs in US. Well, at least there's Bayonetta 2 coming out this month so something I've got to look forward to (the rest is scheduled for November & December).
Menu's look OK but was there any reason why they couldn't do something similar to the Japanese BoG Main Menu? This looks like an idea they took straight from the Season Blu-rays and didn't put much thought into it.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:28 pm

Got in my copy of the set today, and was also kind of surprised to see tons of copies floating around at my local Wal-mart. I expected it out of the out-of-town one, but the one here? The same store that can't manage to get in a freakin' copy of Smash (I got it from another one thankfully)? I was shocked.

Anyway, watched the movie with my girlfriend today (it was her first time seeing it at all), and man, I loved it. I think I'd have to agree with the sentiments a few have expressed on it not being quite Kai caliber, but overall they still knocked it out of the park overall. There's a few moments where you can tell things were kind of rushed, and I think that rushing is the only reason it's not full-on Kai caliber, but I'm still more than pleased with how the dub turned out. Seeing the extended version for the first time was pretty fun as well. There were actually a lot of segments I had to think on if I remembered it from the original version or not.

Still working on watching the extras right now, but on a small note - I'm still disappointed FUNi couldn't get all the promotional trailers and stuff from the film's Japanese release as an extra, because we also watched One Piece: Film Z and it looks like they did get some of those for it's release. Way to drop the ball FUNi, bah! :P
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:36 am

Two things.

1.) What the hell, man? How come nobody had this? I journeyed to Wal*Mart, Target, two Best Buys, and a MovieStop, and I only ever saw a single copy of the film. One. Uno. It was just casually tucked away in one of the back shelves, nowhere near the "new releases." I asked the staff everywhere I went; nobody had a clue what I was talking about even after searching their databases. And this wasn't a "Oh, sorry, we had a ton of pre-orders so we've already cleared out our stock" situation. This was a "Uh... Dragon Ball? Are you sure you're not thinking of another dragon-related title?" situation. And these are good stores! They've never had any trouble getting new releases before. Hell, they've all gotten every prior DB release from FUNimation. Season sets? "Yep." Level sets? "Tons." Big 2013 movie event and one of FUNimation's biggest releases of the year? "Nope, sorry. Are you sure you have the right title? Maybe you misread the release date?"

UGH. Forgive the vent. You get irritated when you have to drive that long.

2.) Is anyone else having trouble keeping the Japanese audio in-sync on the blu-ray? I have this problem with most of FUNi's blu-rays, but it seems especially troublesome here. Sometimes I couldn't go more than a few seconds without the audio getting off-track. I've discovered that the disc usually fixes itself if I press the "rewind" button for a second, but that doesn't seem to be helping things here. Please tell me somebody else is having trouble with this.

I also bought Disney's Sleeping Beauty blu-ray today. Finding and watching that gave me significantly less trouble.
Last edited by MagicBox on Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

SSJ God Gogeta
I Live Here

Post by SSJ God Gogeta » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:50 am

MagicBox wrote:Two things.

1.) What the hell, man?! How come nobody had this? I journeyed to Wal*Mart, Target, two Best Buys, and a MovieStop, and I only ever saw a single copy of the film. One. Uno. It was just casually tucked away in one of the back shelves, nowhere near the "new releases." I asked the staff everywhere I went; nobody had a clue what I was talking about even after searching their databases. And this wasn't a "Oh, sorry, we had a ton of pre-orders so we've already cleared out our stock" situation. This was a "Uh... Dragon Ball? Are you sure you're not thinking of another dragon-related title?" situation. And these are good stores! They've never had any trouble getting new releases before. Hell, they've all gotten every prior DB release from FUNimation. Season sets? "Yep." Level sets? "Tons." Big 2013 movie event and one of FUNimation's biggest releases of the year? "Nope, sorry. Are you sure you have the right title? Maybe you misread the release date?"

UGH. Forgive the vent. You get irritated when you have to drive that long.
That has happened to me SO many times that it's starting to really piss me off. :x
Now I buy most of my Dragon Ball related stuff online which I'm not a big fan of when it comes to buying movies/books.....
"I am neither Goku nor Vegeta! I am the one who will defeat you!!" - Gogeta

I'm that guy who makes the avatars

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:48 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:
Transformers 4 is the highest grossing movie of 2014 worldwide so far. No matter how terrible those movies are, they still make a lot of money. Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods is not going to reach that level. Not to mention China loves the Transformers movies which is why they make so much money.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/