English names

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

ABED
Namekian Warrior

Re: English names

Post by ABED » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:37 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:There are plenty of English words that make the "ee" sound when spelled "ie." Believe, for example. I see no problem with the "ie" spelling, but it's not my site, so whatevs.
English is an odd language. ie, ee, ea, and even just "I" can produce the same sound.
The biggest truths aren't original. The truth is ketchup. It's Jim Belushi. Its job isn't to blow our minds. It's to be within reach.
"You miss 100% of the shots you don't take - Wayne Gretzky" - Michael Scott
Happiness is climate, not weather.

Eire
Advanced Regular

Post by Eire » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:42 pm

IIRC there are no pronunciation guidelines and even if they exist they are vague as hell. Coming from background when a was a I found it really pointless.
Per aspera ad astra, man!

Women belong in the kitchen.
Men belong in the kitchen.
Everyone belongs in the kitchen, the kitchen has food

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:23 pm

Yeah, learning to pronounce English is a mess. Even now, I sometimes como across words which I'm not really sure how to pronounce (I tend to have two possibilities).
Finally, which rhymes with enough,
Though, through, bough, cough, hough, sough, tough??
Hiccough has the sound of cup...
My advice is: GIVE IT UP!
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

DieHard
Banned

Post by DieHard » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:23 pm

Quebaz wrote:Imo everyone should be using Cachalote, Freezer, Coraçãozinho de Satã and Hercules.
this is an english site

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:29 pm

DieHard wrote:
Quebaz wrote:Imo everyone should be using Cachalote, Freezer, Coraçãozinho de Satã and Hercules.
this is an english site
Yeah, but it's an English site about a Japanese franchise.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

CatouttaHell
Advanced Regular

Post by CatouttaHell » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:48 pm

Honestly I find it really hard to take people seriously when they use English dub names for characters/techniques, so I personally enjoy the few filters that exist here.

The Japanese names can't be obsolete since they're the original terms used in the original manga and anime. Shitty changes made in the English dub can't replace or render them obsolete anymore than a Polish dub renaming Vegeta to Borscht or whatever.

Kanzenshuu is, so far as I know, a site aimed at the international community so it makes sense that the administration would encourage using terms from the original dub that people from all countries can watch. People from non-English speaking countries shouldn't be expected to learn that Paikuhan is named P-i-k-k-o-n in the English dub to understand a discussion about the series.
Rocketman wrote:Where you born unable to understand jokes or is this the result of years of hard training?

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:48 pm

DieHard wrote:
this is an english site
This is a site which promotes the Japanese version of a franchise, where people from all over the world gather to talk about it, and write in English because we wouldn't be able to understand each other otherwise.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:49 pm

You forgot the classics Tartaruga Genial and Bubu. But too much awesomeness in this comment anyway.
We should use the attack names too: Força Suprema, A Luz Infinita, Força Universal/Bola Genki, Ataque de Kaib, etc :thumbup:
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:01 pm

I understand that your comments are satirical, but you have a valid point: imagine what would happen if we tried to talk about attacks, but each one of us were using English translations of the names the attacks received in our language (Vital Wave, anyone?). The only way to be able to understand each other is by using standard names, and the original ones are certainly better than the ones used in a certainly less than faithful English dub.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:05 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:I understand that your comments are satirical, but you have a valid point: imagine what would happen if we tried to talk about attacks, but each one of us were using English translations of the names the attacks received in our language (Vital Wave, anyone?). The only way to be able to understand each other is by using standard names, and the original ones are certainly better than the ones used in a certainly less than faithful English dub.
You spanish fellows got Luz Infinita for Goku's Instant Kamehameha too, right?!
I thought we were the only ones to get that one :P
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:13 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:I understand that your comments are satirical, but you have a valid point: imagine what would happen if we tried to talk about attacks, but each one of us were using English translations of the names the attacks received in our language (Vital Wave, anyone?). The only way to be able to understand each other is by using standard names, and the original ones are certainly better than the ones used in a certainly less than faithful English dub.
This is exactly where I was trying to get with my comment. Dragon Ball has a ton of international dubs, each of them with their own names for the characters/attacks and sometimes completely different scripts. I mean yeah sure someone can totally dig in that Super Warriors refers to the Super Saiyans, but damn son, do you remember that moment when Songohanda fired his Magic Beam against that bulky Space Warrior for killing Satan's Little Heart? It was totally rad.

TL;DR: use the original names people.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:27 pm

CatouttaHell wrote:Honestly I find it really hard to take people seriously when they use English dub names for characters/techniques, so I personally enjoy the few filters that exist here.

The Japanese names can't be obsolete since they're the original terms used in the original manga and anime. Shitty changes made in the English dub can't replace or render them obsolete anymore than a Polish dub renaming Vegeta to Borscht or whatever.

Kanzenshuu is, so far as I know, a site aimed at the international community so it makes sense that the administration would encourage using terms from the original dub that people from all countries can watch. People from non-English speaking countries shouldn't be expected to learn that Paikuhan is named P-i-k-k-o-n in the English dub to understand a discussion about the series.
:shock: Ok, that is the most awesome thing I've heard all day. This must become a reality. :lol:
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:33 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
You spanish fellows got Luz Infinita for Goku's Instant Kamehameha too, right?!
I thought we were the only ones to get that one :P
Yes, we did. But fortunately, Vital Wave (NOW!) was the translation used 99% of the time.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:36 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote: Yes, we did. But fortunately, Vital Wave (NOW!) was the translation used 99% of the time.
Ah, we jumped back and forth between many names. Not even Kamehameha was correctly said at times...SHOCK WAVE KAIMAHAME.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:38 pm

The filter really doesn't bother me anymore infact I write Freeza now without the I, and my friends keep asking me why I spell Freeza wrong lol

On a side how come Krillin isn't filtered? Is it because like with Bills(God, I hate that name!), in that Krillin is a real word?

EmmaWinters

Post by EmmaWinters » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:54 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:how come Krillin isn't filtered?
That might cause an uprising.
「恨むんならてめえの運命を恨むんだな··· このオレのように···」

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Jan 11, 2015 5:59 pm

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:The filter really doesn't bother me anymore infact I write Freeza now without the I, and my friends keep asking me why I spell Freeza wrong lol

On a side how come Krillin isn't filtered? Is it because like with Bills(God, I hate that name!), in that Krillin is a real word?
The Kanzenshuu staff, most notably Hujio, considers that a perfectly serviceable romanization of the name "Kuririn."

On that note, I still don't know why "Bills" is still allowed, I guess... because it's appeared on official Japanese merchandise? Then again, so has "Frieza".
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:03 pm

theoriginalbilis wrote:On that note, I still don't know why "Bills" is still allowed, I guess... because it's appeared on official Japanese merchandise? Then again, so has "Frieza".
Bills isn't "allowed", but it can't and won't be filtered because it's a real English word. Otherwise I'd have to cash my check and pay my Beerus before I can see what new DB merchandise I can manage to pick up this month.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

theoriginalbilis

Post by theoriginalbilis » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:06 pm

TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
theoriginalbilis wrote:On that note, I still don't know why "Bills" is still allowed, I guess... because it's appeared on official Japanese merchandise? Then again, so has "Frieza".
Bills isn't "allowed", but it can't and won't be filtered because it's a real English word. Otherwise I'd have to cash my check and pay my Beerus before I can see what new DB merchandise I can manage to pick up this month.
Good point, sir. I totally forgot about that. Guess it's up to the fans to educate the casuals so that at least the "Bills" usage can at least be reduced.
Nothing matters (in a cosmic sense.) Have a good time.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:14 pm

UltimateHammerBro wrote:Maybe because Son Goku, two words, is perfectly valid.
The pronunciation of "Songoku" and Son Goku is different so it's not the same thing.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray