Did anyone like the Garlic Jr. Saga?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kazamino
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Did anyone like the Garlic Jr. Saga?

Post by kazamino » Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:29 pm

Did I like it? Yeah, when I was ten years old... made Piccolo one of my favorite characters for a while

Do I still like it? Not really, but I feel it was somewhat of a welcome change to not have Goku or Vegeta around for a while... doesn't change the fact that it still falls short somehow in my eyes.

Could/Would I watch it all over again? No, like Gaffer Tape I only like the beginning and ending... the character stuff and less of the fighting.

I have no memory of ever seeing the movie, so I have no real comparison... but I remember when I was a kid I didn't realize that Garlic Jr and Pilaf were not the same character. Probably just me, but did anyone else make that connection being unaware of the similar designs?
In a world of approximately seven billion people, the irony is that wandering around... is the fastest way to get noticed

TobyS
I Live Here

Post by TobyS » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:51 pm

I like the premise but not the slowness of the final battle part. It's already filler, don't filler filler!

I think it's dumb they didn't include Ten, Chaozu and Yamcha as fighters. I mean they didn't use Goku or Vegeta which is incredibly un-toei like! Yet they don't make use of it. They just give us the same 3 dudes who already saw action on Namek.

I think Gohan got wanked too much. Piccolo should be far out of his league still at this point, at least untill Gohan gets super.
Yamcha almost certainly did not cheat on Bulma:
He was afraid of Women, Bulma was the flirty one.
Yamcha wanted to get married (it was his gonna be his wish)
He suggested they settle down in the Trunks saga.
Alternate future Trunks is not a reliable source.
Toriyama wanted new SSJ Kids and not make new characters.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:17 pm

TobyS wrote:
I think it's dumb they didn't include Ten, Chaozu and Yamcha as fighters. I mean they didn't use Goku or Vegeta which is incredibly un-toei like! Yet they don't make use of it. They just give us the same 3 dudes who already saw action on Namek.
At least Yamcha actually appears in the saga, Tien and Chaozu vanish into thin air for no reason, we don't even know if they got infected by the Black Water Mist. I know they are naturally reclusive characters who like to do their own thing but it just seems like lazy writing to me (in GT they are also nowhere to be found). The Garlic jr saga could have been a good opportunity to give Tien some last minute wanking before his descent into irrelevance via the Cell & Buu arcs.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Lumos

Post by Lumos » Sun Feb 01, 2015 9:29 pm

I think it's quite good up until the halfway point. After that, it sort of tailors off. I've never been a fan of the guardian stuff and, as has been mentioned already, Garlic Jr opening the Dead Zone again was incredibly stupid.

Nevertheless, I do love the core conceit of the saga/arc. Namely, seeing everyone get possessed (or rather influenced) by the aqua mist is fantastically creepy.

As an aside, this was probably one of my favourite arcs as a kid and, whilst it was by no means my introduction to the show, it's probably what got me first hooked on DBZ as a whole! :o
Last edited by Lumos on Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Eleventh Doctor wrote:The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don’t always soften the bad things, but vice versa the bad things don’t always spoil the good things or make them unimportant.
Homer Simpson wrote:'STEALING! How could you? Why do you think I took you to see all those Police Academy movies, FOR FUN? I DIDN'T HEAR ANYONE LAUGHING, DID YOU?'

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:41 pm

Lumos wrote:
As an aside, this was probably one of my favourite arcs a kid and, whilst it was by no means my introduction to the show, it's probably what got me first hooked on DBZ as a whole! :o
It's the best Z arc that doesn't have Majin Buu in it, easily.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:42 pm

ImmaDeker wrote:
Lumos wrote:
As an aside, this was probably one of my favourite arcs a kid and, whilst it was by no means my introduction to the show, it's probably what got me first hooked on DBZ as a whole! :o
Why do you think so?
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:52 pm

It's the shortest arc in a section of the series composed nearly entirely of repetitive story arcs and has a neat fantasy backdrop that makes it distinct from its surrounding storylines.

Also Garlic Jr. is fucking cool.

mAcChaos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by mAcChaos » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:26 pm

ImmaDeker wrote:
Lumos wrote:
You're literally the first person I've seen to ever say this in my whole life.

I knew Garlic Jr was filler so I just skipped the entire thing.
[i]"I have yet to show you, young warrior, what I'm truly capable of."[/i] - Cell

OWmyDragonBallz
Regular

Post by OWmyDragonBallz » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:03 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:I fucking despise the Garlic Jr arc. Mainly due the fact that I think the Dead Zone is one of the weaker DBZ movie to me. But I also hate the arc because Garlic Jr is an uniteresting villain, the fights were lackluster and plot didn't appeal at all. The only saving grace of the arc is we briefly saw Piccolo kick some ass and Gohan Krillin doing something of importance.
Well, Toriyama said that the movies are in a different dimension. So that would mean that the Garlic Jr. in the anime arc could have very well played out differently from his past.

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:43 pm

The problem with the Garlic Jr. Arc is that we all knew how it was gonna end. We knew Kuririn wasn't gonna end up with Marron. We knew Garlic Jr. would have to be sealed in the Dead Zone again. We knew it wasn't gonna greatly affect the overall storyline. It was predictable. I really like the concept, but it just wasn't properly executed. Plus, the whole thing is one giant plothole.

The first movie is actually one of my favorites, but it was too short. There was so much cool stuff going on, but not enough time to nurture it. The filler saga could've fixed this, but it didn't. There was some fun things I guess. I did like Chi Chi ready to beat the holy shit out of Marron, and I will admit I was strangely happy seeing Kuririn shirtless.

Diotor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Diotor » Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:40 am

How could anyone not enjoy Garlic Jnr dropping a belly blast and those loveable scamps the Spice Boys?

Friezacooler
Regular

Post by Friezacooler » Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:52 pm

It simply is the best filler ever, and out shines other animes by a long mile as the best filler. Nice addition to the DBZ anime. Good moment to further develop Gohan Krillin and Piccolo and to showcase the old Kami again. Garlic JR was brilliant as a villain.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Feb 03, 2015 6:32 pm

Instead of the Garlic Jr saga, I wish Toei made their own original villain saga instead. I think Garlic Jr. was pick out of the past four movie villains at the time since Toei was able to find away to bring him back. His movie almost fits into the timeline and he was steal up away allowing him to return in the future. It's not like they brought back Lord Slug or Turles instead.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Mosaic
Beyond Newbie

Post by Mosaic » Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:57 pm

It's funny how they forgot how movie 1 doesn't fit in the TV series timeline. Then again, they randomly put Higher Dragon in certain episodes, even though he wasn't introduced properly into the canon.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:21 pm

I still wish Vegeta was on Earth during the saga. It would have been interesting to see him help fight off Garlic Jr.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

TheZFighter
Regular

Post by TheZFighter » Thu Feb 05, 2015 6:47 am

When I first watched the Dragon Ball Z series through on Cartoon Network, I'd have only been 8 or 9 years old. The internet existed and I had my own computer, but I mainly used it for finding pictures of Goku and the other Z Fighters to print off and take into school. I didn't actually have any real concept of what was filler and what wasn't. I only found out about that afterwards. I watched the Garlic Jr. Saga just like I watched the sagas that came before and after it, and it didn't real feel out of place to me. It isn't my favourite saga by any stretch, but I certainly enjoyed it.

I think Garlic Jr. is a good character, and he is given extra credit due to the fact he is immortal. I also quite like Spice, Mustard, Salt and Vinegar. Cool henchmen with interesting appearances, despite their silly names (let's be honest though, many Dragon Ball characters are guilty of having silly names). The premise was good and I thought the story was as well.

Valerius Dover summed it up well, it offered a chance for our heroes to save the world without Goku and Vegeta dominating. If it was up to me, I'd have definitely had Yamcha (not as a zombie/ vampire thing), Tien and Chiaotzu involved, but this is largely me nitpicking because of my love for the Earthling characters. Perhaps Tien, Krillin, Yamcha and Chiaotzu could've faced the Spice Boys while Gohan and Piccolo tried to deal with Garlic Jr.? I don't know, either way I think it was a nice mini-arc in between two big ones.
Z-Fighters fan.

Goku, Yamcha, Krillin, Tien, Chiaotzu, Yajirobe, Gohan, Piccolo, Vegeta, Future Trunks, Android 18, Goten, Trunks and Majin Buu.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Thu Feb 05, 2015 7:48 am

^Ah, yes, I agree that Yamcha should've had a larger role in this. They kind of missed their chance to give him some much-needed stardom.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

NitroEX

Post by NitroEX » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:11 am

I remember sort of enjoying it when I was younger but at the same time I also didn't remember much about it. All the other major story arcs left a permanent impression on me but for some reason this one didn't.

Last year I watched it in Japanese for the first time and thought it was ok (though dragged out and boring) but again, right now I'm struggling to remember anything besides key events like Piccolo becoming evil & returning to normal as well as Garlic's defeat. It really is the most forgettable arc.

I think the story had good intentions by making Gohan the hero of a side story but it's poorly executed and only served as a foreshadowing of what was to come from Toei in the form of GT.

Careless Saiyajin
Regular

Post by Careless Saiyajin » Fri Feb 06, 2015 1:29 am

I have to rewatch it, however I remember loving this arc. The whole kami and popo running through peril to stop the black mist and seeing everyone posses. The whole arc seemed pretty epic the first time I watched it.
Last edited by Careless Saiyajin on Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

ImmaDeker
Banned

Post by ImmaDeker » Fri Feb 06, 2015 11:01 am

mAcChaos wrote:
ImmaDeker wrote:
Lumos wrote:
You're literally the first person I've seen to ever say this in my whole life.

I knew Garlic Jr was filler so I just skipped the entire thing.
Filler is usually the best part of any given shonen to me. The rare times I actually like a shonen, I don't really indulge the show unless I know they do their own shit at one point (Yu Yu Hakusho being the one exception).