Finally an unbiased/fair review of Dragonball GT

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Xyex
I Live Here

Post by Xyex » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:22 pm

Don't feel like getting involved in the actual thread here but I do have something to say. Namely to vegeta4. Spelling and such has been brought up but, in my skimming, I didin't see anyone comment about your double (and even thripple and quadruple :shock: ) posting. There's absolutely no reason to post two or more times in a row unless a span of, like, 4 or more hours has passed. Otherwise, please keep it to one post. I'm not a mod or anything but it's just a lot neater and easier to read that way.
Avys ~ DA account ~ Fanfiction ~ Chat Quotes
<Kaboom> I'm just glad that he now sounds more like Invader Zim than Rita Repulsa
<Xyex> Original Freeza never sounded like a chick to me.
<Kaboom> Neither does Rita
<Xyex> Good point.

vegeta4
Banned

Post by vegeta4 » Thu Nov 02, 2006 6:23 pm

Xyex wrote:Don't feel like getting involved in the actual thread here but I do have something to say. Namely to vegeta4. Spelling and such has been brought up but, in my skimming, I didin't see anyone comment about your double (and even thripple and quadruple :shock: ) posting. There's absolutely no reason to post two or more times in a row unless a span of, like, 4 or more hours has passed. Otherwise, please keep it to one post. I'm not a mod or anything but it's just a lot neater and easier to read that way.
ok man. Got it.

Mr.Piccolo
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Mr.Piccolo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:02 pm

I asked this in another thread but as you know, it was "sent to the next dimension" as was a certain saiyan member of the fourth rank. :) So, I would like to re-ask this question here:
A couple questions about GT:

(a) Was designing Bebi Toriyama's only involvement?

(b) There is a thread on Toriyama's assistants going on right now and I was wondering, were any of his assistants heavily involved in GT? If so, some of my ideas will change towards the series.
-rick
[size=92][b][url=http://www.freewebs.com/rickistheboss/][RICKisBOSS][/url] | [/b] [color=green][b][Green Team][/color][/b] [b]|[/b] [b][url=http://db.schuby.org/daizex/viewtopic.php?t=4512][R29 DUB][/url][/b] [b]| [url=http://][DBRPG][/url][/b]
You can call me Rick because I'm not actually Piccolo.
I missed out on all of the DB Movie fun, huh?[quote]Point blank: it's gonna suck if you want it to. Personally, I'm seeing it as a comedy.[/quote][/size]

El_Diablo
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by El_Diablo » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:51 pm

Toriyama provided character designs for most, if not all of the main cast for the start of the series.
Where's the beef?

SuperVegeta

Post by SuperVegeta » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:33 am

sai ram
I heard that he was the one who approved the Super Saiyan 4 form, but I seriously don't get it. Going blonde till level 3 and then suddenly going black hair in level 4 didn't exactly make sense to me. Actually, I saw this one AMV for Linkin Park with Dragonball scenes in it. In that when I saw the SSJ 4 form for the first time I thought he must be some super cool villain. When I saw DBGT I was like O_O.
But there is only one thing that I really like about the DBGT series and I truly believe that it is the only thing really creative in the series. The Shenron Saga. The idea of making the only thing that the heroes depended upon to put things right, as the main villain seemed super cool to me. It made perfect sense to the positive and negative effect and on the way teaching a great lesson that nothing should be taken for granted. Just for the Shenron saga i would give the series a 7/10 rating.
Other than that, the music was nothing compared to Bruce Faulconer's DBZ OSTs, Vegeta had to be "converted" AGAIN by the villain, they just showed too much of a power gap between the Prince and Kakarot and a few more things which I don't exactly remember right now.

Phew, probably my biggest post here so far. ^_^

sai ram

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sat Nov 04, 2006 11:44 am

SuperVegeta wrote:I heard that he was the one who approved the Super Saiyan 4 form, but I seriously don't get it. Going blonde till level 3 and then suddenly going black hair in level 4 didn't exactly make sense to me. Actually, I saw this one AMV for Linkin Park with Dragonball scenes in it. In that when I saw the SSJ 4 form for the first time I thought he must be some super cool villain. When I saw DBGT I was like O_O.
Well actually, calling it "Super Saiyan 4" is kind of misleading, in a way, because it's actually supposed to be different from the others. It's not merely "the next step," but more like a whole new seperate path that depends on, comes from, and even looks like the Oozaru stage, and not SSj 1-3. It's supposed to be the perfect combination of a Saiyan's rational, "human" side and the feral animal side. It's one of the reasons why it's my favorite stage; because it's so unique.

But yeah, he does look kind of dark and villainy at SSj4. Which maks it even cooler.
SuperVegeta wrote:But there is only one thing that I really like about the DBGT series and I truly believe that it is the only thing really creative in the series. The Shenron Saga. The idea of making the only thing that the heroes depended upon to put things right the main villain seemed super cool to me. It made perfect sense to the positive and negative effect and on the way teaching a great lesson that nothign should be taken for granted. Just for the Shenron saga I would give the series a 7/10 rating.
Yeah, too bad so many of the Dragons were goofy, nonsensical, and weak. If you ask me, that saga's not really worth watching until those last three show up. Then it gets good, even though Gogeta was kind of ruined. (He's all slick, serious and powerful in Movie 12, and now he's this goof-off who wastes time shooting confetti around? WTF?)
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

SuperVegeta

Post by SuperVegeta » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:02 pm

sai ram
XD
Totally agree on the Gogeta part. Frankly, I didn't notice that until you just said it. :P
But then again, like I said, the main reason why I liked the Shenron Saga was the main idea behind it - that something which you have depended upon the whole life turns against you due to how you misused it at your own will. :)
sai ram

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:52 pm

SSj Kaboom wrote:even though Gogeta was kind of ruined. (He's all slick, serious and powerful in Movie 12, and now he's this goof-off who wastes time shooting confetti around? WTF?)
He has to be, or Goku couldn't save everyone again!

gohanku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by gohanku » Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:42 am

Rocketman wrote:
SSj Kaboom wrote:even though Gogeta was kind of ruined. (He's all slick, serious and powerful in Movie 12, and now he's this goof-off who wastes time shooting confetti around? WTF?)
He has to be, or Goku couldn't save everyone again!
Rocketman, I couldn't say it better! :D Goku has either killed or help killed every major villian from DBZ to DBGT. He made Frieza into a cyborg, help Gohan do the Oyako Kamehameha to defeat Cell and don't forget the Genki Dama! Goku is alway saving the world, it wouldn't make he feel good if he doesn't. :)
[quote="SSj Kaboom talking about Future Gohan in BT3"]I feel sorry for Future Gohan.

Everyone's like, "What?! What are you doing with [b][i]two[/i][/b] arms?! You tear that off right now, mister!"

Poor guy.[/quote]
Lol'ed.

SuperVegeta

Post by SuperVegeta » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:27 pm

sai ram
But that was the down point of Dragonball/Z/GT. It always had to be Kakarot. One way or the other, in the victory he had a hand. It is never fun when the main hero gets credit for something or the other all the time. There should have been some saga where Vegeta took over full responsibility and then Kakarot felt the pressure from him to improve more. THAT would have been more awesome. :D
sai ram
Buu: Knock Knock
Vegeta: Who's there?
Buu: Buu
Vegeta: Buu who? (boo hoo)
Buu: Aww don't cry.....

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Sun Nov 05, 2006 2:38 pm

SuperVegeta wrote:There should have been some saga where Vegeta took over full responsibility and then Kakarot felt the pressure from him to improve more.
:D

*Whistles happily and walks off thinking of future fanfiction plans
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

Aoi
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Aoi » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:16 pm

Very nice review. I have always liked and not liked many things about Dragon ball GT but in the end it was a great "good bye" to the entire story.
But one of the biggest things I liked about Dragon ball GT is how there is so much to talk about because so many things are not explained well.

In Dragon ball Z everything was always explained and you knew who was the most powerful character or how 1 fighter was different from another in power.
I have read many questions about Dragon ball GT be answered with: "Its GT" because Akira Toriyama did not write it. I think we could have a thread answering many questions because it could be interesting to talk about it.