Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection 'F'"

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Official On-Going DBZ 2015 Movie Thread: "Resurrection '

Post by bleed0range » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:25 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:I didn't get the impression that Whis could time travel. More like, quickly "hop" back in time a short distance.

Nothing really implied full-on time travel powers to me.
Yeah it sounded like he can hop back only like the past several minutes or something to un-do something.

After reading that translation... Vegeta and Goku's training with Whis sounds AWESOME. I love how Whis tells them they both aren't at their best for different reasons. Vegeta needs to be more like Goku and Goku needs to be more like Vegeta. He's telling them they could learn from each other. I have a feeling that neither or able to defeat Freeza on their own and it doesn't happen until they work together. Pretty sure Whis will have to go back and "undo" Freeza destroying the planet (maybe even twice?).

There's a lot of cool stuff introduced just in that short exchange between those three in the training. See? We don't have to necessarily navigate the "other universes" in order to have new cool things introduced.

I get this feeling that Whis will teach them how to be naturally stronger without having to utilize SSJ God or SSJ transformations by training them in some special way that makes the huge increase in strength or power seem almost like it was right there in front of them this whole time but neither of them could see how to get to it.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:28 pm

Eh, I dunno. Whis training is very similar to Popo and Kami's, when it comes to Goku at least. Emptying your mind and not being overconfident.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:29 pm

If they wanted to cut Goten, Trunks, and Boo out...why not just say they are protecting the cities and that Freeza's forces are attacking around the world. So they're handling the threat to, but in the background. We could have one shot of Gotenks sitting on a pile of mooks he beat up being all cocky, and Boo turning some mooks into candy and eating em. This would freak Gotenks out as that's a pretty grim way to be defeated.

I find the overconfident thing for Goku stupid, when that's Vegeta way more than him. It's like they just want to try and make Vegeta look better. All they needed to say was Goku is too nice and shouldn't be so generous and forgiving.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

Zephyr
I Live Here

Post by Zephyr » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:33 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:But the dead caused Boo to be born. It was partly Goku's fault. His logic is ridiculous.
Oh I know, it's Buu arc Goku at his finest. I'm not endorsing it.
dbzfan7 wrote:Also apparently they care more about them than the safety of millions...even though they'd be a huge asset...ok...
Again, Bulma's probably thinking that there's a large chance that they'll be incredibly reckless and be a liability to the people they're trying to protect. She might be wrong about that, and even if she's right about that they could still help a lot, but either way she has her reasons. Not fully endorsing them or saying they're completely logical, but they're there.

SaiyanZ
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by SaiyanZ » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:34 pm

I'm not saying Goku hasn't been overconfident, but its happened so sparingly that I hardly find it being warranted a problem of his. Not sure about the whole "relaxing too much" thing either, but I think more than anything, Whis meant that Goku was too gullible given that last part of the sentence "By being too presumptuous leaves you being too careless."
Tim Duncan is dope and forever.

My favorite anime and manga (characters included): https://myanimelist.net/profile/SaiyanZ?q=SaiyanZ

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:38 pm

sintzu wrote:If Whis stepped in poop does this mean Beerus isn't potty trained ? :lol:
Maybe that's the one bit of training Whis hasn't yet mastered to make him "perfect." lol. :lol:

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:39 pm

Zephyr wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:But the dead caused Boo to be born. It was partly Goku's fault. His logic is ridiculous.
dbzfan7 wrote:Also apparently they care more about them than the safety of millions...even though they'd be a huge asset...ok...
Zephyr wrote:Again, Bulma's probably thinking that there's a large chance that they'll be incredibly reckless and be a liability to the people they're trying to protect. She might be wrong about that, and even if she's right about that they could still help a lot, but either way she has her reasons. Not fully endorsing them or saying they're completely logical, but they're there.
Which is why it's probably best not to bring it up honestly.

When have they done anything so bad like that? I could point out Gotenks' recklessness, but Goten and Trunks aren't so bad. Besides they'll cost more lives not helping, rather than actually doing something. They could even cost their own friends and families lives by not helping them keep the pressure off them.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:40 pm

Dyno wrote:"Let's put the fate of the Universe in a 7 and a 8-years-old kids' hands against Majin Buu"
"Let's hide a 13 and a 14 years-old teenagers because they can cause a huge mess and risk their own lives". (supposing this movie indeed takes place in 779).

BRAVO! :clap:
To be fair, Gotenks was more of a last-ditch effort when they had no other options. And even there, as Bulma said, he "took things too far", got cocky, and failed.
Makaioshin wrote:
Bullza wrote: Was that supposed to be funny or something?
No, it is strictly an in-universe fact. It confirms Whis(post-Zenkai Battle Royale) is a poop buster.
:lol: That's funny. I'm sure the scene is a lot better with the actual images.
TheGmGoken wrote:
Bullza wrote:What's with the random "Your standing in poop" line?

Was that supposed to be funny or something?
Why is there poop?

Who shitted? Beerus?
He is a cat.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:42 pm

Dyno wrote:"Let's put the fate of the Universe in a 7 and a 8-years-old kids' hands against Majin Buu"
"Let's hide a 13 and a 14 years-old teenagers because they can cause a huge mess and risk their own lives". (supposing this movie indeed takes place in 779).
More like, lets hide Goten and Trunks before Freeza thinks they are Goku and Future Trunks and kills both.
Its normal for a mother wanting to protect their son. If it depended on Chichi, Gohan didn't have gone to Cell Games.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:44 pm

dbzfan7 wrote:
Zephyr wrote:
Zephyr wrote:Again, Bulma's probably thinking that there's a large chance that they'll be incredibly reckless and be a liability to the people they're trying to protect. She might be wrong about that, and even if she's right about that they could still help a lot, but either way she has her reasons. Not fully endorsing them or saying they're completely logical, but they're there.
Which is why it's probably best not to bring it up honestly.

When have they done anything so bad like that? I could point out Gotenks' recklessness, but Goten and Trunks aren't so bad. Besides they'll cost more lives not helping, rather than actually doing something. They could even cost their own friends and families lives by not helping them keep the pressure off them.
I can't actually think of an instance where the two of them separately or as Gotenks ever did anything actually helpful to the situation. When Piccolo had to train them to do the fusion they were incredibly difficult and didn't take anything seriously... this was only multiplied by the fusion. Whenever they fight anyone they just play around and don't take the fight seriously. They only manage to waste time and only manage to not die BECAUSE of their strength. If they weren't so overpowered they'd have killed themselves a few times over.

So really, what have they ever done that didn't prove they're a bunch of irresponsible kids? They manage to not even be able to defeat Abo and Cado without Goku/Vegeta intervening. Despite their power they are not very useful... Goku was incorrect in placing so much on them in the Buu arc. At least Gohan was able to take thing seriously. Goten can get distracted by his own shadow and Trunks is too cocky.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:44 pm

FortuneSSJ wrote:
More like, lets hide Goten and Trunks before Freeza thinks they are Goku and Future Trunks and kills both.
It doesn't seem like Bulma knew it was Freeza. Or anyone knew before he came out of the ship.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:46 pm

Big Momma wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:
It doesn't seem like Bulma knew it was Freeza. Or anyone knew before he came out of the ship.

More reasons why it's bullshit why they're being "hidden".

Kakarot9001
Banned

Post by Kakarot9001 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:46 pm

ZazamPow wrote:Listen, Dragon Ball has amassed an enormous cast over the years. It would be unrealistic to expect every character gets their moment to shine in every film. This movie is already doing a better job at incorporating side characters than most of the others with Tenshinhan, Roshi, and even Jaco having roles. I know it's disappointing that Goten, Trunks, and Buu won't be involved, but just look at all the other characters who ARE involved. Personally I'd take Tenshinhan being a badass against fodder over Gotenks jobbing to the main villain any day.
It's not like we want all the other side-characters to have their moment to shine, we just want something logical:

Actually who are the strongests warriors in planet Earth?

- Goku, Vegeta, Gohan, Piccolo, Goten, Trunks

Not that I didn't like Krillin and Tien fighting again, I find that amazing... I just don't get why Mutenroshi istead of Yamcha and the Saiyan Kids, for comedy relief or whatever it seems to be something poorly writed by the authors.
Lord Beerus wrote:
Sandubadear wrote:So Roshi is confirmed to be stronger than Gotenks and Yamcha?
No. Roshi has to right to be involved in any battle he damn well pleases. Hell, he's so long overdue when it comes to being a part of a major battle.
His age is over, there's no point in he fighting again... And with 139 PL against average 2,000 PL soldiers? Is that a gag?
Suupaa Gohan 2 wrote:Revival of Freeza being the most baffling of these choices, front and center. An unneeded detour from what should be something new and fresh (given that the last movie alluded to a multiverse, of all things), because OMG some guy heard a song and thought it was kewl. And can we come up with anything more like bad fanfic than using the Dragonballs to resurrect a major enemy who somehow ends up on par with the strongest protagonists?

Freeza somehow closing an impossible gap between himself and overpowered god characters. Granted, we don't know how or why this is possible yet, but it just smacks of foolishness and the desperate lack of a better idea. Even Beerus being overpowered to the extreme managed to be an original concept that made sense on its own terms.

Vegeta needs to be better than Goku because that's his archetype for most of the series and let's ignore the conclusion to the Buu arc.

Freebie god powerups being the new benchmark for series progression among the cast; Gohan's powerup in the Buu arc was "bad" but now that Goku (and possibly Vegeta) are getting freebies, it's awesome and no one else needs to matter anymore.

Standard series characters relevant to the era (Goten, Trunks, Majin Buu) being axed to give screentime to unrelated garbage like Jaco, with bullshit explanations for their absence that amount to not giving a fuck.
This.
Last edited by Kakarot9001 on Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Babbu
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Babbu » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:47 pm

Big Momma wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:
There was something already said in one of the character summaries or something like that where Bulma was getting messages from space about what was about to go down.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:50 pm

Is the exchange about Goten and Trunks translated correctly? Because I'm seeing variations of it.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:51 pm

^Very interesting.
TheGmGoken wrote:
Big Momma wrote:
FortuneSSJ wrote:

More reasons why it's bullshit why they're being "hidden".
Not really. it's more like they knew a big threat was coming, and Bulma had them stay behind because they would take things to far and be more of a detriment than an asset. Unless, like mentioned above, she did know it was Freeza, then the "resemblance" thing would make sense also.

TheGmGoken
Namekian Warrior

Post by TheGmGoken » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:52 pm

How can Gotenks do more damage than good? Killing bad guys. Simple.

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:54 pm

bleed0range wrote:
dbzfan7 wrote:When have they done anything so bad like that? I could point out Gotenks' recklessness, but Goten and Trunks aren't so bad. Besides they'll cost more lives not helping, rather than actually doing something. They could even cost their own friends and families lives by not helping them keep the pressure off them.
I can't actually think of an instance where the two of them separately or as Gotenks ever did anything actually helpful to the situation. When Piccolo had to train them to do the fusion they were incredibly difficult and didn't take anything seriously... this was only multiplied by the fusion. Whenever they fight anyone they just play around and don't take the fight seriously. They only manage to waste time and only manage to not die BECAUSE of their strength. If they weren't so overpowered they'd have killed themselves a few times over.

So really, what have they ever done that didn't prove they're a bunch of irresponsible kids? They manage to not even be able to defeat Abo and Cado without Goku/Vegeta intervening. Despite their power they are not very useful... Goku was incorrect in placing so much on them in the Buu arc. At least Gohan was able to take thing seriously. Goten can get distracted by his own shadow and Trunks is too cocky.
How is Gotenks, Goten, or Trunks supposed to fuck up at beating a bunch of peons that Krillin, Roshi, and Tenshinhan can defeat? All they need to do is fight a bunch of mooks and they're done. They did that in Fusion Reborn. They dicked around there too, but hey were kids. Also if they weren't there, then the city would be in even worse shape.

They could have defeated Abo and Cado no problem. Vegeta and Goku decided to intervene when they didn't need to as they both really wanted to fight. They showed this at the beginning of the movie. Gotenks could have handled Aka's best moves and stopped him. In the end Goku/Vegeta fanservice won out.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:54 pm

Doesn't matter if everyone appears or not.
If the series had million characters, doesn't mean everyone had to appear...

Dead Zone: Where were Yamcha, Chaozu and Tenshinhan?!
World Strongest: same question?
Lord Slug: same question?!
Cooler's Revenge?!

Well, lets change a little.

Broly's Second Coming: Vegeta?! Piccolo?!
Fusion Reborn: Piccolo?! Krillin?!
Wrath of the Dragon: Piccolo?! Buu?!

Toriyama at least bothered to explain something not necessary. Such a kind a man.
Last edited by FortuneSSJ on Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

bleed0range
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by bleed0range » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:54 pm

Big Momma wrote:
Not really. it's more like they knew a big threat was coming, and Bulma had them stay behind because they would take things to far and be more of a detriment than an asset. Unless, like mentioned above, she did know it was Freeza, then the "resemblance" thing would make sense also.

I'm wondering if the translation is correct and whether or not Bulma said to keep it from them (hide it) or if they are implying they straight up told them not to get involved. Maybe they're doing that because of how wreckless they acted against Beerus last time? Maybe it has nothing really to do with Freeza being overly powerful or not but more because they just don't want to babysit the children.
TheGmGoken wrote:How can Gotenks do more damage than good? Killing bad guys. Simple.
When have they actually ever done that? Who did they kill? When have they ever been useful?
Last edited by bleed0range on Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.