Gohan: Why must he continue to Disappoint ?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Toonami97
Beyond Newbie

Gohan: Why must he continue to Disappoint ?

Post by Toonami97 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:01 pm

In the History of Trunks Special, We Caught a glimpse of what Gohan Could have been. And Ever Since Cell, We've Stuck with The Nerd Ass who "Just when you think he's gonna impress us, Let's us down again" I can respect him wanting to be a scholar. But Even THAT he manages to do badly. But even he could not deny the Warrior's blood in him. It's Toriyama does it on purpose.

The Tori-bot
I Live Here

Re: Gohan: Why must he continue to Disappoint ?

Post by The Tori-bot » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:06 pm

Toonami97 wrote:I can respect him wanting to be a scholar. But Even THAT he manages to do badly.
Since when? Based on all the information we have on that period of time, Gohan is never presented as doing "badly" at being a scholar. He has a sweet home of his own. He is by all accounts pretty successful in his scholarly scholarings. He's very well-adjusted for a guy who had a childhood like his. He has a loving wife and child. He doesn't want to fight, and instead forged his own path away from his father to achieve his life's ambition which he held since he was a toddler. He's only a disappointment if you equate "disappointing" with "doesn't want to spend his life punching things".
Last edited by The Tori-bot on Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
New to the forum? Just want to know when you'll hit your next posting rank? Ever wondered why some users have special titles, and what they mean? The answers to all these questions and more are waiting for you in the Kanzenshuu Member Hierarchy Guide!!
"Of all the things to worry about... the Wookiee has no pants." -- Mark Hamill
Herms wrote:Really, you could translate either title either way and nobody would care. But God would know.

UpFromTheSkies
I Live Here

Post by UpFromTheSkies » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:10 pm

Because Gohan fans will continue to be disappointed unless he saves the day, which isn't going to happen because he's not the main character... he had his moment in the spotlight, and it was a really great moment, but Dragon Ball is Goku's show...

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:10 pm

Toonami97 wrote:In the History of Trunks Special, We Caught a glimpse of what Gohan Could have been. And Ever Since Cell, We've Stuck with The Nerd Ass who "Just when you think he's gonna impress us, Let's us down again" I can respect him wanting to be a scholar. But Even THAT he manages to do badly. But even he could not deny the Warrior's blood in him. It's Toriyama does it on purpose.
From a writer's perspective, I feel Toriyama didn't quite know what direction to go with Gohan after the Cell games and just changed him to appeal to his own writing style. However, the minute he did, he slowly realized he just didn't quite like this character having a leading role over Goku. He later gave him the ultimate powers, but it probably didn't feel right. In GT, Toei probably felt the character was not as popular as Goku or Vegeta, and just stuck with the scholar role. Nowadays, Toriyama and Toei probably don't want to confuse fans since Goku and Vegeta will be fighting in their base, so they reduced Gohan to mere SSJ again.

This is all just the way I see it. I could be completely wrong, but Toriyama just doesn't seem to care much for the character. He built him up, but disappointed himself later on, and kind of just wants to forget about him.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:15 pm

I came across this wonderful quote in another thread. I don't remember who said it, but the words will always stick with me.

"I swear, the Gohan fans won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun."
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:17 pm

ZazamPow wrote:I came across this wonderful quote in another thread. I don't remember who said it, but the words will always stick with me.

"I swear, the Gohan fans won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun."
That was me.

I'm perfectly happy with how Gohan ended up. I'm not happy with how he was treated at the end of the Buu Arc just to make Goku look better.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:19 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
ZazamPow wrote:I came across this wonderful quote in another thread. I don't remember who said it, but the words will always stick with me.

That was me.

I'm perfectly happy with how Gohan ended up. I'm not happy with how he was treated at the end of the Buu Arc just to make Goku look better.
Sigged :lol:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:I swear, the Gohan fanboys won't be happy unless he just bends over and farts all of Freeza's men into the sun.
fadeddreams5 wrote: Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Freeza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:20 pm

Or unless Toriyama/Toei stop fucking him over to make ~Gokuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu~ look good. Either-or.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:20 pm

ZazamPow wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:

That was me.

Sigged :lol:
Although, I'm pretty sure I said "fanboys," and not "fans." I myself am a Gohan fan. I also acknowledge that his character arc is over. So, I don't mind if you sig me, but be sure to get that part right :P
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:21 pm

Honestly, this would only make me slightly satisfied. To make me happy, he'd also have to grab Frieza by the tail, drag him to the nearest toilet, and give him swirlies until he submits and calls him "daddy."

Gohan deserves it.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:22 pm

Rocketman wrote:

Or unless Toriyama/Toei stop fucking him over to make ~Gokuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu~ look good. Either-or.
You say that like Gohan is the main character.

Gohan deserves it.

Toonami97
Beyond Newbie

Post by Toonami97 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:24 pm

ZazamPow wrote:
Rocketman wrote:

You say that like Gohan is the main character.

Well in the beginning in many ways he sorta was

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:26 pm

Bitch please, Yamcha's got it worse. Ten told him to stay behind like he's a helpless child while the far weaker Muten Roshi gets to play.

At least Gohan is treated like a big boy, and gets to fight Freeza.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:26 pm

Toonami97 wrote: Well in the beginning in many ways he sorta was
In the beginning? Goku was the main character in the beginning for like 400 chapters, then Gohan became the main character for like 10 chapters, then Goku was the main character again for the rest.

Gohan deserves it.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:34 pm

ZazamPow wrote:You say that like Gohan is the main character.
It's possible to be a secondary character and not get chumped instantly because the author's lips are firmly wrapped around Goku's cock.

Also he was the main character for a large portion of Z, until ~gokuuuuuuuu~ kicked in.

ZazamPow
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ZazamPow » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:42 pm

Rocketman wrote:
ZazamPow wrote:You say that like Gohan is the main character.
It's possible to be a secondary character and not get chumped instantly because the author's lips are firmly wrapped around Goku's cock.

Also he was the main character for a large portion of Z, until ~gokuuuuuuuu~ kicked in.
By large portion you mean like, 10 chapters between the Cell Games and Buu's appearance? Because Goku was certainly the main character during the entirety of the Saiyans and Freeza, he was certainly the main character during Cell until the plot twist at the end where he let Gohan fight, and then he once again became the main character against Buu. That certainly doesn't sound like a large portion. I think you're being pretty unreasonable, Gohan had plenty shine in each arc since his first appearance, he did everything he possibly could have short of defeat the main antagonist on his own, which he ended up doing with Cell. Just because he always ends up getting defeated doesn't mean Toriyama hates him, that kinda needs to happen if he isn't going to be the winner in the end.

Gohan deserves it.

GeeRod
Beyond Newbie

Post by GeeRod » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:42 pm

I don't have that much problem with his character right now. He was my favorite character during Freeza's saga and seeing him defeating Cell was mind blowing. Gohan just need to be a good father and husband from now on.
English is not my main language. Sorry if I make a mistake.

Rocketman
Namekian Warrior

Post by Rocketman » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:48 pm

ZazamPow wrote:Just because he always ends up getting defeated doesn't mean Toriyama hates him, that kinda needs to happen if he isn't going to be the winner in the end.
It's possible to get defeated without getting chumped.

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Sat Mar 21, 2015 11:48 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:

That was me.

!!

Why constantly make him look like such a useless fail.. Just write him out..

I really don't get why they still feature him, it would be much better if he (and other characters) didn't appear in BoG and the upcoming movie at all.

Just purely focus on Vegeta, Goku, Beerus, Freeza, on another planet or something.. It'd be much more enjoyable than seeing other characters do nothing other than looking incompetent.

Just like how the humans were basically written out/didn't really participate in the Buu arc, rather than make them look bad
Last edited by sbk on Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Sun Mar 22, 2015 12:00 am

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Bitch please, Yamcha's got it worse. Ten told him to stay behind like he's a helpless child while the far weaker Muten Roshi gets to play.

At least Gohan is treated like a big boy, and gets to fight Freeza.
Yamcha was kind of a joke since the beginning. I loved him as a bandit afraid of women, but then... things went downhill.

Gohan began as an innocent little boy who never fought in his life, yet had incredible potential; to a slightly older child that was trained, but terrified to raise his fists; to a young boy prepared to fight to save his friends; to a warrior who was reluctant to fight to the death when there was no need for bloodshed in the first place; to someone who learned that sometimes there is no reasoning to be done, and pulling the trigger is the only option if you want to protect the things you care about. This was Gohan up until the Cell saga.

After this, the realization of his powers, all the lessons he learned in the Cell games, the death of his father, and birth of his brother could have given him the incentive to take over Goku's role and train. Not because he likes it, but due to the fear of something like Cell endangering his family again. He's different from Goku. He doesn't like to fight. But you know what else he doesn't like? Seeing his loved ones hurt. As the saying goes, "with great power comes greater responsibilities." You'd think this had motivated him. Additionally, he could have also kept up his studying!

But no...he slacked off, turned into a pansy both in and outside of the battlefield, and lost a chunk of his powers. He gains his mystic form without having to train at all, but he fails to do anything with it. Then, he slacks off again, and he loses his powers in both Toei and Toriyama mediums. To add insult to injury, they continue to change his character design to make him look lamer and lamer. It's like urinating in someone's grave. Gohan is honestly the most disappointing and mutilated anime character I have ever come across in my entire life. Possibly of any show.

/rant