DBZ / Web Community: Happy Experiences

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

parron
Not-So-Newbie

Post by parron » Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:00 pm

When was this... um, I'd say early december. n.n So yes, GT had been dubbed... although, after searching for ways to defend the poor guy, you do have to admit that he wouldn't have much of a role, not being Chibi Goku's VA. x.x

...Or he's just dumb. At least he seemed to be a nice enough guy... n.n()

Hakura

I don't think my Autobiography for English was this long...

Post by Hakura » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:39 pm

Alright, this topic is long dead, but after reading everyone's fond memories I wanted to share mine. In fact, I joined to share, but I will be looking around more.

1. I guess I got into DBZ by my sister's influence. It was the summer after the summer of the pokemon fad I believe. (Yes, That's how I judge time.) Basically she was watching it, and I sat down next to her on the couch and joined in. That was about it.

2. Bulma was my first favorite character. This was before Vegeta showed up, and then he became my favorite after awhile. After I found out the two became a couple I think I just found it about the funniest thing on the planet.

3. One thing I'll almost always remember most likely is one day in K-Mart I hit the button on one of those talking Dbz clocks and was told 'You can't deny your heritage Kakarrotto', I'm sure you can guess by who. I looked at the clock like it was crazy, smiled, and walked on.

4. The series in itself. My first taste was, amazingly the first episode. On Cartoon Network. I was oblivious to anything that might have been changed but I watched. And, apparently I loved it. I watched DB when it started coming on there, and I was amazed that when my brother hogged the tv at DBZ time I could sneak downstairs at night the next day and see the same ep! HFI L, I thought, was brilliant. I just found out what it stood for not to long ago when I played one of the gameboy games. I could have sworn I had heard something about 'There was a low budget in hell so they could only afford the partially faded shirts'. I have no idea where I heard this but it doesn't really matter to me, I'll keep that as one thing I like.

5. The last 'IRL' bit I'll include is the most important: The action figures. This will sound stupid but it's true. Every day at lunch me and about 5 boys in my class would play DBZ. Once Gohan's foot mysteriously dissapeared, they spent the whole lunch period helping me try to find the foot. I don't know anyone now that would do that, or at least I don't think so anyway. (The foot was, of course, still in my pocket btw.) According to them I had all the best action figured. According to my mom the Gogeta I had (and had no idea who was of course) had a 'Poke Attack'. He was perpetually pointing at something... According to my dog, his hair tasted good. I still have a Vegetto in my pocket to this day.

6. Now to start the online portion. The first site I went to online I believe was VeGeTa InSaNe if I remember the capitalization correctly. I wore out those 'Vegeta Vs. ' fanfics, I swear I did. They were the first fanfics I ever read. From there I somehow got to DBZ: Uncensored. I didn't look around it to much until recently because, again, I wasn't sure what to expect. But I found ToT at some point, and it's still visited by me daily. I remember hearing about this site's reopening on it, and I even tried entering the cover contest...in MSpaint... I was an idiot.

7. In an RPG, Master Gohan's or something of the sort, I was Bulma. There I met by DBZ 'boyfriend', who happened to be Brolli. (Tell me that isn't the oddest couple alive.) Not really much to go into there, except to say Dice RPGs were not for me.

8. At one point I faded out of DBZ for a year or so. If you want to see what got me back into go read Chuquita(on fanfiction.net)'s fanfics. Or rather, should I say, if you like people in character, don't. But that was my lifeline, and so I'm back.

9. My first exposure to sub. That would be when, not to long after I got into DBZ, someone brought over the Sub of Movie 8. I couldn't read fast, so I just watched. What are my memories of it? Wondering what the 'HFI L' Vegeta was doing at the end, and why he sounded like a girl. I own the dub version now, sadly but I have a measly 3 episode dvd with the japanese on it in any case.

10. A fanfic is how I got my online name I use for absolutely everything. 'Hakura'. In a fanfic she was, I believe, Vegeta's sister. I never read the fic. I liked the name, it stuck. Or at least I think It did. For all I know it could have been 'Haruka' that the girl's name was. That's what people keep mispelling it as by accident. Unless I really mispelled it. Either way, it'll stick forever.

~~~

I have been on this website for the last 5 and a half hours of my life. The first 5 and a half hours of my spring vacation. I found out things, laughed at others, and surely wondered why there was no one else online to comment on some absurdities to. This'll definately be a memory, but right now it's the present. All in all, so far, my hat's off to you. *puts on a hat then tosses it into the air*

(Sorry for the novel.)

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Fri Apr 02, 2004 10:56 pm

Hey! Great read Hakura! Welcome to the boards by the way! :D I'm Jerseymilk.
Jerseymilk: "Can I tell you something?"
B-kun: "What?"
Jerseymilk: "I see Fangirls."

Vejjiechan

Post by Vejjiechan » Tue Apr 13, 2004 2:04 am

Hey I have some good memories! I remember when my site got linked by Planet Namek, Daiz-Ex, and ToT. That was exciting. It made me feel special, cuz I was sorta a loner site. Does anyone remember Dragonball Kenkon? Real weird site, yes...? Probably not. 8)

It's nice seeing you all! Wassup Mike & Meri?

-Vejjiechan (Monica)

kobrokailp

Post by kobrokailp » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:40 pm

I'm on a posting role tonight

After the fact of discovering DBZ, my fondest memory probably is finding TOT on the web. Heh heh, go figure. The site made me laugh so much, that I have been a Trunks fangirl ever since. *sweatdrop* Planet Namek really got me into the show (as that site did for most) and my best friend closed the hatch on my love for DBZ. We would both freak out if we missed a second of the show, even if it was the edited Cartoon Network version. That never mattered, as long as we could watch Goku fight. ^_^

My newest good memory is probably coming to the boards here. ^_^ Everyone's so nice, and I haven't talking with anyone about DBZ in a while. ^_^
And I'm spent...

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:43 pm

Fan...girl?

Please change that to say "fan who happens to coincidentally be a girl" so that I don't have to be the one who makes you change your mind about how nice we are.

Thanks!

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:46 pm

Now, now Zacko. She didn't say she was an "annoying" fangirl did she? Don't worry kobro, I sometimes have to reign Zacko in a bit. He has trouble controlling himself you see. 8)

kobrokailp

Post by kobrokailp » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:51 pm

Ha ha Zacko. Okay, I'm a Trunks fan who happens to be a girl. Don't worry, I'm not as rabid as some girls are. :) Actually, I'm not rabid at all, so no worries. :D
And I'm spent...

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:53 pm

See Zacko? You went and judged without thinking! Honestly boy, sometimes I just don't know what to do with you! :roll:

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:00 pm

Why don't you just fire me if you hate me so much. :(

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:02 pm

Calm down! Now why would I hate you? You're the best trainer and you have a "physchotic passion" for your work. Those are rare qualities. 8)

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:01 am

Please don't do your back-and-forths on topic-specific threads. Thanks!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Thu Apr 15, 2004 4:08 pm

Sorry EX. Won't happen again! 8)

koden
Not-So-Newbie

Post by koden » Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:48 am

=word limit=
Last edited by koden on Sat Nov 13, 2004 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat May 01, 2004 12:56 am

No, your post was great Koden! 8) And it's also great to have another female fan on board too. Also being a big fan of DB music myself, including the talents of Kageyama, I really enjoyed reading about your memories.

koden
Not-So-Newbie

Post by koden » Sat May 01, 2004 7:35 am

Thanks, that was nice to hear :)

Ben Plante
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Ben Plante » Sat May 08, 2004 10:29 am

I'm a newbie, so I'm adding my fondest memories, even if it's a bit late.

I began as a dubbie. Watching season 1 and 2, I thought, could it get any better ::Snicker::. Than I bought some evil fansubs of the Trunks killing Freeza eps. LOVED. The music especially shunned me away from the dub. Oh, this is a web community thread. It was after viewing the wondrous Japanese version that I came across some fantabulistic site. Planet Namek. Daiz EX. I read editorial after editorial on DEX and ToT, and realized what I had been missing. I feel in love with the Japanese version.

Yep, the above is boring and simple, but here's the most important part. My love for the original spurned me on to other anime. Cardcaptor Sakura. Cowboy Bebop. Trigun. Escaflowne. .hack. I gotta say, without the DB Community, I never would have become an Otaku, which I am eternally greatful for. THANK YOU DBC!
"Chrysanthemums will wither together with its leaves, lying beside the fiery eyes soaked with blood. Even then, your sublime status will never be shaken, even if only half of your limbs will remain. To increase the fascination within the drama, should the search for a new partner begin? If so, then head to the east. You will definitely meet the one who is waiting for you."

Jerseymilk
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Jerseymilk » Sat May 08, 2004 10:46 am

Definitely well-said!^_^

Zackarotto
I Live Here

Post by Zackarotto » Sun May 09, 2004 12:55 am

Ben Plante wrote:I'm a newbie, so I'm adding my fondest memories, even if it's a bit late.
For the last time, it's a sticky! You can't possibly be late!
Ben Plante wrote:I began as a dubbie
LOL U WER UH DUBBIEZ? EWW WTF!

Alright, "WTF" has been in my last 3 posts, now... I'm going to bed.

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Sun May 09, 2004 8:32 am

"WTF" has been in your last three posts?! WTF is up with that?? O_o
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.