Would you want future Dragonball Stories with Unknown Chars?

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Would you want future Dragonball Stories with Unknown Chars?

Post by FoolsGil » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:17 pm

Would you want official Future Dragonball Stories with Unknown Characters?

So same universe, whether it's under the Dragonball Title or not, it's still canon, but takes place in a different galaxy quadrant with new heroes and villains. Would you want these new stories, or would you rather Dragonball sticking to Goku and company, and them alone?

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Would you want future Dragonball Stories with Unknown Ch

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:29 pm

Yes. Though might as well use another universe. That can keep things fresh. It all depends on the execution, really.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:33 pm

No interest in a new cast. I'm not here for dragon world, I'm here because I enjoy the antics of Gokû, Vegeta, et. al.

Only series I've been cool with the reset button is Precure; and that's because you know each cast is only there for a single year before their world gets wiped with a new one with new rules anyway.
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:34 pm

No, definitely not. The characters they have already are great so why have a series not involving them?

Dayspring
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Dayspring » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:38 pm

Yes and no. I'd like to see something set a century or so in the future. Give Toriyama's previously thought-up Geezer Goku (my avatar) a chance at being a new generation's Kamesennin analog. From there, give some characters like Uub, Dende, Piccolo and maybe Vegeta guest-appearances.
Captain Christopher Pike wrote:The away team will consist of myself, Cadet Kirk, Mr. Sulu, and Ensign Olsen.
Freeza Heika wrote: for the land of the cool, and the home of the Appule
The Geeky Gentleman: For all your comics, movies, TV and other geeky needs.

TheDevilsCorpse

Post by TheDevilsCorpse » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:40 pm

I don't mind as long as there's something to connect it back to the home series. Even just simple stuff being tossed around, like someone mentioning having met a Namekian once, rumors of that Freeza fellow being defeated, or trying not to break the law so they don't get in trouble with the Galactic Patrol. If it feels completely disconnected, it might as well be something else entirely.
Direct translations of the Korean DB Online timeline and guidebook.
My personal "canon" and BP list. (Coming Soon)

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Mon Apr 06, 2015 7:42 pm

I thought you guys liked Jaco. :?
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Vidmusc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vidmusc » Mon Apr 06, 2015 8:29 pm

After reading Jaco recently, yes. As long as there's something to make sure it ties in with the main series, I'm fine with a Dragon Ball story with a new cast.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:47 pm

To be blunt, no. Unless in some way the characters have strong and legitimate ties with the Z-Fighters, I have no interest in a cast of unknown characters.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Tue Apr 07, 2015 2:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:00 pm

New villains yes, even if they aren't immediate gods themselves I want to see some variety in alien species. I'm tired of Freeza. There should be other warrior races besides the Saiyans to exist as well. Maybe if there were others as strong as Goku & Vegeta with other mithologies it might bring something new to the series. Similar to how DC has the Kryptonians, and other similar races and warriors at Superman's level or above but different traits to their power.

However wouldn't want new lead heroes. Goku, Vegeta Piccolo and Krillin need to be featured. I wouldn't care though if the useless backup heroes retire though. They havent done anything significant since Cell. Including Gohan. I would however want Goku to learn new attacks from other races and less redundant power ups.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:08 pm

I kinda like Gokuu Jr and his antics. Something with connection to the old cast, but different enough to feel fresh. Anything to avoid regurgitation of things done before (Freeza returning...).
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

ssjjanemba
Beyond Newbie

Post by ssjjanemba » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:11 pm

Sure, why not? I like Goku, he's one of my favourite characters, but his time is up. Bring on some new characters, and a new story.
Hi

fexus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by fexus » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:01 am

New characters are okay but they must have ties to the the original cast.

The only thing I want is for Goku to show up from nowhere when the new characters fight the final boss only for Goku to oneshot it. Than the new MC says "My hero Goku just saved us."
I ask thou, WHY MUST IT BE ME?
Your weakness is your strength.
Are you reading this? If you are, I just want to let you know that I'm a GREAT GUY. :lol:

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:18 am

We had this with Jaco. A new cast of characters in the Dragon Ball world. It worked. I think it could work again. Anything is better than more Goku. I love the guy but I'm getting fucking sick of him. In the manga there was plenty of times where the focus shifted. Now it's just Goku and the occasional Vegeta bone. I can predict the next Dragon Ball related thing will pretty much be Goku and possibly Vegeta are relevant. Everyone else sucks and ends up irrelevant to the main bad guy. Goku wins in some form whether beating someone or saving everything in the end.

Give me a new cast. If that's what it takes to let new characters get a turn like we had with Jaco, Omori, and Tights, so be it.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

SSJ3_Zack
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSJ3_Zack » Tue Apr 07, 2015 6:44 am

I'd like to see that. I enjoyed Jaco the Galactic Patrolman so I'd be interested to see what Akira Toriyama could do with another set of new characters.

soulnova
Advanced Regular

Post by soulnova » Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:20 am

At least half of a new cast would have to be tied to the original characters in some form. Back with Jaco, Jaco is looking for Goku, and Tights is Bulma's sister. Omori is dealing with time travel research himself, which is all related in one way or another to the main story.

I would focus on Uub, Pan and Bra as a main trio with a bunch of new supporting characters.
Check out Journey's End, a short story of Goku and Vegeta's final days. "Time is running out for the last two Saiyans"

Man-Child
Beyond Newbie

Post by Man-Child » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:28 pm

I still dont think we've had enough with some of the established side characters. Or at least, not enough stories where they're actually significant to the plot.