Things that scared you

Discussion regarding the entirety of the franchise in a general (meta) sense, including such aspects as: production, trends, merchandise, fan culture, and more.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

UltimateHammerBro
Advanced Regular

Re: Things that scared you

Post by UltimateHammerBro » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:01 pm

I was terrified of Imperfect Cell when I was a kid, namely the episode in which he absorbs the rich guy.
It managed to turn me away from the franchise for around ten years.
I'm a webcomic artist! Check out http://tapastic.com/series/Hearts

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:05 pm

Dragonball GT I thought DB was going to be ruined forever... But in all seriousness, nothing scared as much as when Freeza impaled Krillin, :|

Imperfect Cell was also a pretty creepy dude too, especially his voice and theme.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:08 pm

Considering just the series, no.

Actually I talked about it a few days ago, the first time I ever got scared by something related to Dragon Ball was when I saw this image. :|
if this is used in any horror movie, I would probably go living with my mom again.

buutenks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by buutenks » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:40 pm

Not that i remember.

Though off topic,my cousin(he's 12 now) when he was like 6-7 or saw toguro powering up to 100% and he was scared shitless haha ^^

NitroEX
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by NitroEX » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:48 pm

Not gonna lie, 17 getting absorbed was pretty horrifying for me as a kid. There were some scary scenes after that especially during the Buu arc (Spopovich getting gruesomely blown up comes to mind) that I found disturbing too but by that point I had toughened myself mentally for things like that so you could say I was ready for it. The 17 absorption however, I was not ready for since I had only just started watching the show during the Android saga and everything was new to me at the time.

In hindsight I think it was Ted Cole's (17) performance in the Ocean dub that made it worse for me (or better, depending on how you look at it). You can hear him pleading and begging Cell while it's happening and the whole thing feels almost, dare I say, like a rape. I can obviously watch it now no problem but I still remember having to leave the room during that scene when they'd show a rerun of the episode.

I'm sure there are parents out there who think kids shouldn't be exposed to scary things in cartoons but I'm so grateful for experiencing DBZ and seeing things that scared me because I feel like it helped strengthen me mentally. It's probably one of the reasons I despise censorship and the constant "toning down" of violent entertainment which is funny since DBZ was victim of that too but whatever.

Flame Dragon
Regular

Post by Flame Dragon » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:26 pm

That scene in the anime (filler?) that showed Imperfect Cell's egg pulsating and then him being born.
It terrified me. And i didn't even know what the hell it was, since i had never heard of Cell and thought the Androids were the main villains.

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:29 pm

I don't know if it scared me, but I know I felt very uncomfortable after Babidi made that one guys head explode when he was telling him that Goten, Trunks, and Piccolo had participated in the 25th Tenkaichi Budokai

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:39 pm

I don't know that anything ever actually scared me, but I remember being pretty shocked by Cell's first absorptions as a kid. And in general theres such a palpable aura of hopelessness, or at least it seemed that way watching the American version as a child, to the later Cell and Boo arcs that I remember both causing at least one nightmare. Just something about the idea of Boo's world-wide, show-up-anywhere slowburn human genocide freaked me out intellectually, even if I never had the heeby-jeebies while actually watching the show.

I was probably too old by the time I encountered it, but pre-final form Baby is also creepy as f*ck, especially with the way he gets to Earth. None of those space-people get revived. A horror-based villain right up there with first-form Cell.

FoolsGil
I Live Here

Post by FoolsGil » Tue Apr 28, 2015 8:53 am

I was more worried than scared in the Cell Saga. Way too many strong bad guys, Goku is sick, Super Saiyan doesn't work anymore. Yeah those were dark times after school on Toonami.

RandomGuy96
Kicks it Old-School

Post by RandomGuy96 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:02 am

Pure Evil Buu creeped me out as a kid, with his ruthless personality, sickly, malnourished appearance, and haunting stare. He also never talked. He just looked unnatural, like something that simply shouldn't exist.
The Monkey King wrote:
RandomGuy96 wrote:
dbgtFO wrote: Please elaborate as I do not know what you mean by "pushing Vegeta's destruction"
He's probably referring to the Bardock special. Zarbon was the one who first recommended destroying Planet Vegeta because the saiyans were rapidly growing in strength.
It was actually Beerus disguised as Zarbon #StayWoke
Herms wrote:The fact that the ridiculous power inflation is presented so earnestly makes me just roll my eyes and snicker. Like with Freeza, where he starts off over 10 times stronger than all his henchmen except Ginyu (because...well, just because), then we find out he can transform and get even more powerful, and then he reveals he can transform two more times, before finally coming out with the fact that he hasn't even been using anywhere near 50% of his power. Oh, and he can survive in the vacuum of space. All this stuff is just presented as the way Freeza is, without even an attempt at rationalizing it, yet the tone dictates we're supposed to take all this silly grasping at straws as thrilling danger. So I guess I don't really take the power inflation in the Boo arc seriously, but I don't take the power inflation in earlier arcs seriously either, so there's no net loss of seriousness. I think a silly story presented as serious is harder to accept than a silly story presented as silly.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:58 pm

just remembered a few more creepy things that I should have put in my other post:

also when that one servant of princess snake shot herself when explaining russian roulette to goku it was a bit creepy that it was passed off as a joke, my first reaction was "wtf that isn't funny?!!" it's such an out of place moment the series never has dark jokes like that

Mouths don't do that...

Took me forever to find this one, it's from that dream gohan has in filler about goku coming back from namek...but then he looks like that (and you cant hear him making any noise which makes it creepier if anything) and turns into freeza and tries to kill him.

SSJ Human
Regular

Post by SSJ Human » Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:27 pm

First form Cell used to scare the hell out of me. I used to picture him in live-action, thinking he would come after me.

Also did the same for Android 19 and Android 20. Why those three characters seemed realer to me than anyone else, I don't know.

successoroffate
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by successoroffate » Thu Apr 30, 2015 11:35 pm

For me...it was the Future Trunks movie.

Everything is so...dramatic and dark, and people are trying through smile (Bulma for example) but you can tell they're dead inside. Gohan losing an arm was really unsettling for me and of course him dying was something too. If you think about it, that's the most tragic DBZ movie of all time and probably the more realistic where everyone looks more human. Just like the Walking Dead waiting for your major characters to die eventually.

Freeza destroying planet Vegita was something too. The first time I saw it, I didn't understand the whole premonition thing going on and therefore didn't understand the ending itself. I just saw Freeza killing everyone. It creeped me out.
Big Green: Do whateveryoulike, Ghos
Broly: haha He calls me a goohst, but IMMMD DA DEVVVVAAALLL! RAHAHAHAHA!
-----
Trunks: "Dhe computer selffishy intesnafiy dosuementos."
Android 13: Yum Boy
-----
Vegeta: The Legendary Warrior of SpaZe.

MasterVampire
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MasterVampire » Fri May 01, 2015 1:44 am

If you get scared watching DBZ your a fucking pussy

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Fri May 01, 2015 2:33 am

When I was a child I didn't like Grey Boo, he looked strange and I was quite shocked when he came out of Boo. The rest of the series didnt bother me.

Polyphase Avatron
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Polyphase Avatron » Fri May 01, 2015 7:09 am

MasterVampire wrote:If you get scared watching DBZ your a fucking pussy
Even if you're under 10 years old?
Cool stuff that I upload here because Youtube will copyright claim it: https://vimeo.com/user60967147

Sin
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Fri May 01, 2015 8:07 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBmpHWISvEQ

This scene where Goku has a nightmare that Android 17 & 18 arrive whilst he is still ill, the part where 18 snaps Chi-Chi's neck always got me, although I didn't watch the Funimation Dub so the music placement kinda breaks the feeling in the linked clip.

Other than that like the other guys in the thread, Imperfect Cell was pretty scary and so were 19 & 20, I remember being scared when 20 was killing Yamcha.

BlazingFiddlesticks
I Live Here

Post by BlazingFiddlesticks » Fri May 01, 2015 11:57 am

FortuneSSJ wrote:Yup. Baby Vegeta reveals himself to Trunks

Well, these two episodes used to scare me a lot. Everyone was so dark.
Baby was dark, man.
Cipher wrote:Just something about the idea of Boo's world-wide, show-up-anywhere slowburn human genocide freaked me out intellectually, even if I never had the heeby-jeebies while actually watching the show.
Trying to recall the Toonami days, I am pretty sure I understood from the very beginning that the Buu arc had to be the prolonged fight it ended up being, simply because Buu was (at long last) a creature with no real desires (Dragon Balls, World Domination, Sport, etc.) to placate him; if the heroes were not occupying him, people would die. Buu was in total control. Upon hearing Piccolo confirm it, "You can kill the rest of the people on Earth, just give us time!", I could only think "Yeah, guys, this is officially your reckoning. Don't screw it up." As sloppy as the Buu story was, there was a lot in that made it a fitting ending, and not just the things Toriyama did intentionally.
JulieYBM wrote:
Pannaliciour wrote:Reading all the comments and interviews, my conclusion is: nobody knows what the hell is going on.
Just like Dragon Ball since Chapter #4.
son veku wrote:
Metalwario64 wrote:
BlazingFiddlesticks wrote:Kingdom Piccolo
Where is that located?
Canada

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri May 01, 2015 12:16 pm

Deathbringer wrote:Image
Yikes. Where the hell is that from?

Scott
Beyond Newbie

Post by Scott » Fri May 01, 2015 12:56 pm

I think i was 11 when i started watching Dragon Ball Z, nothing i have seen in the show ever scared me.