"Dragon Ball Super" Series Official Announcement & Discussion Thread

Discussion specifically regarding the "Dragon Ball Super" TV series premiering July 2015 in Japan, including individual threads for each episode.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Doctor.
Banned

Re: Official Announcement Thread & Discussion

Post by Doctor. » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:20 pm

Unicorn_Bazooka wrote:All the hype aside, were there any questions or suggestions in the manga or anime regarding what would happen after the defeat of Buu?
The Demon Realm is still up to exploration, but I'm not sure there's a threat that could handle current Goku and Vegeta there at all.
The Dragon Balls being condemned as bad by the Old Kaioshin, but that would just be kind of a rehash of the Shadow Dragons.
The guy who sealed the Old Kaioshin was revealed to be Beerus, so there's nothing there either.

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:22 pm

Kakarotto92 wrote:Anyway, hope Toei learned its lesson with GT and actually puts some effort to make a quality series this time.
Except that is not Toei Animation alone doing this new series, you know. (Well, even though I said that, Toriyama came up with the reviving of an old villain unnecessarily and put him a very bad color...). But hope is the last standing, right? :D

Super Sayian Prime
I Live Here

Post by Super Sayian Prime » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:22 pm

Can't wait for this to inexplicably get an Ocean dub that is never seen or heard from.
"I like the money it brings in, but Dragon Ball Heroes is the worst. That's actually the real reason I decided to start working on new material. I was afraid Bandai would make something irredeemably stupid like Super Saiyan 4 Broly." - Akira Toriyama, made up interview, 2013.

ArchedThunder
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by ArchedThunder » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:23 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Unicorn_Bazooka wrote:All the hype aside, were there any questions or suggestions in the manga or anime regarding what would happen after the defeat of Buu?
The Demon Realm is still up to exploration, but I'm not sure there's a threat that could handle current Goku and Vegeta there at all.
The Dragon Balls being condemned as bad by the Old Kaioshin, but that would just be kind of a rehash of the Shadow Dragons.
The guy who sealed the Old Kaioshin was revealed to be Beerus, so there's nothing there either.
The main place DBS can go I think is bringing in characters from the other Universes.

Berserker1921
Advanced Regular

Post by Berserker1921 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:24 pm

Flow hero for theme song and ending song soul of z.

Unicorn_Bazooka
Beyond Newbie

Post by Unicorn_Bazooka » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:25 pm

Also, it's worth to mention that the episodes will be available to the entire world instantly, compared to having to wait for at least half a year for a DVD release in case of the movies and such. Like with the new Kai episodes this year, people will most likely capture the episodes straight from the television when they start airing. :thumbup:

SRB2Unleashed
Regular

Post by SRB2Unleashed » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:25 pm

I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet, but was Toriko actually cancelled for Dragon Ball Super? Think about it.

This series would have to had been in development for at least a year, late 2013 at the earliest.
Toriko was cancelled in 2014 and replaced with what? Dragon Ball Kai: Buu Arc
What's replacing Buu Arc's timeslot? Dragon Ball Super.

Kai Buu was something they already had for the international market, and those in Japan who are Kai viewers haven't been exposed to the Buu arc. It ended up working in Toei's favor as it had a double purpose of being filler until DBS was ready and to fill those in who haven't seen the Buu arc previously in Japan.

Just spit ballin', but I think it's interesting and likely...
GT isn't bad, just sucks ass in comparison to the other 2 animes.

Subscribe to me on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/ImmaKrillinYT

Dyno
Banned

Post by Dyno » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:26 pm

Berserker1921 wrote:Flow hero for theme song.
Why am I thinking they are indeed going to use that song for the first opening theme? :think: Hope to get new stuff, though.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:27 pm

SRB2Unleashed wrote:I don't know if anyone has brought this up yet, but was Toriko actually cancelled for Dragon Ball Super? Think about it.

This series would have to had been in development for at least a year, late 2013 at the earliest.
Toriko was cancelled in 2014 and replaced with what? Dragon Ball Kai: Buu Arc
What's replacing Buu Arc's timeslot? Dragon Ball Super.

Kai Buu was something they already had for the international market, and those in Japan who are Kai viewers haven't been exposed to the Buu arc. It ended up working in Toei's favor as it had a double purpose of being filler until DBS was ready and to fill those in who haven't seen the Buu arc previously in Japan.

Just spit ballin', but I think it's interesting and likely...
The story might have been in planning, but otherwise that's about it. There's no way the series has already been in full-on production.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:28 pm

CALLING IT RIGHT NOW.

By the end of this, EVERY Z fighter is going to be immortal.
12 of them will become the new Gods of Creation (with Goku the god of his universe, the 7th)
Maybe Vegeta the god of destruction of 7th universe and so on.
Makes sense every of our loved Z fighter will continue to protect the universes forever, and once in a while they will have some battles and some tournaments between them.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Chuquita
Namekian Warrior

Post by Chuquita » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:28 pm

TIME covered it?!

Clearly I'm underestimating how much U.S. media cares about Dragon Ball. o_O
My deviantart * My tumblr * My twitter
---
フレフレ みんあ! フレフレ 私!

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:29 pm

Berserker1921 wrote:Flow hero for theme song and ending song soul of z.
Hero doesn't really work as an intro. It's more of a battle theme.
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

Unicorn_Bazooka
Beyond Newbie

Post by Unicorn_Bazooka » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:31 pm

Berserker1921 wrote:Flow hero for theme song and ending song soul of z.
I don't think they'd just reuse recently used songs so easily.

seansmith9322
Not-So-Newbie

Post by seansmith9322 » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:33 pm

Like... I have been waiting for this my entire life. Never thought the creator wanted to come back. Looks like he was lying to us!
Frieza: Round and round the monkey goes. If he should stop , then OFF WITH HIS NOSE!!!!

Vegitofaxx
Regular

Post by Vegitofaxx » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:34 pm

seansmith9322 wrote:Like... I have been waiting for this my entire life. Never thought the creator wanted to come back. Looks like he was lying to us!
Toriyama really is a troll :lol:
Here lies a modified Doctor Who qoute. It was killed too early by the moderators. R.I.P.
Steam: The Muncher of Da Biscuits.
PSN: Joeythekiller123
Playing XenoVerse on Pc. BP = 10370. Primary CaC: Tapaha. Always ready for an invite :D
Jackass, #1 Hellsing fan, Translator for the Danish version of DBM(always two pages ahead of you), Chilling on da forums 8)

Marco Polo
I Live Here

Post by Marco Polo » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:37 pm

If DB Evolution didn't exist we wouldn't have this revival by Toriyama right now! :clap:
Last edited by Marco Polo on Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:37 pm

Vegitofaxx wrote:
seansmith9322 wrote:Like... I have been waiting for this my entire life. Never thought the creator wanted to come back. Looks like he was lying to us!
Toriyama thrives off of trolling the fanbase. :P

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:38 pm

Can you imagine the weekly impact that every episode will have on you?
You DON'T KNOW what will happen in the next episode this time. You have no knowledge of what might be coming, no manga to use as a heads-up reference.
Can you imagine the renewed impact that Next Episode Previews (along with the spoilerific titles they will announce during those) will now have on you?

You may say it was already the case with GT, but most of us had GT way after it was aired in Japan and therefore already had glimpses or info about what it held in store before we watches the episodes (enemies, forms, plot in the long run...).
This time, the whole world will have no clue what the next episode is about and what the plot will unfold like in the long run.
Last edited by Cold Skin on Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:39 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Vegitofaxx wrote:
Toriyama thrives off of trolling the fanbase. :P
Watch him cancel the series one day prior to its airing.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Apr 28, 2015 4:39 pm

Marco Polo wrote:If DB Evolution didn't exist we wouldn't have this revival by Toriyama right now! :clap:
Hahahaha! You make a damn good point. That movie's awfulness single-handedly lead to Dragon Ball being resurrected. Who would have thunk it? :P